FFXIV big update ... going to Xbox

LJ_Gibbs

On 7/31/2023 at 12:40 AM, FlameYOL said:

I think MMOs can often forget that if their setting isn't solid, its not gonna draw people in.

I used to think like that. That wow(originaly) was the exception and mmos needed good story to get people (or keep them). Now i recently tried Black Desert and was proven wrong. The game has one of the worst story telling i have encounter, is really really bad. The new expansion doubles that on that regard with a new mandatory questline that you need to do at least once to unlock the actual new mmo content/mechanic...still is getting a lot of new people. What things does BDO do well to get so many people and grow? (Besides removing the paywall stuff and having waifus) bdo has A/S tier in many 'basic' MMOs things: Grind/Gather/Craft/OpenWorld and is starting to get more in the group activities with some dungeons.

It is a little odd (imo) but people stay besides the story experience being bad. I think we were too spoiled by vanilla swtor story and forgot what MMOs 'should' offer in the long run.

I played 14 for awhile, other than the combat being really slow early on, notably with their 2.5 GCD on all abilities, the story was just as good as the story here, subjective of course. Later on after ARR you do start to learn abilities which are your instant abilities that can be woven in between the GCD. I'll probably wind up checking out the latest expansion. SE, ANet, Blizz, Zenimax, etc... Those are companies this game's owners should have learned from over the last few years. As a Star Wars MMO, there is no reason this game should be where it currently sits. The core game is still good, end game is good, story is good, combat animations are very good, when you have all that and there is still a problem, look no further than management and how things are run. 

Kudos to 14, not only for being able to recover from their disastrous launch, but they're still going very strong. 

On 7/30/2023 at 12:53 AM, Bigfallenstar said:

Just because one company can put out content like hot cakes, doesn't mean the other can. These are two different companies with different budgets and factors, that to expect the SWTOR to pump out content left and right to keep up with ff14, or even WoW, is ridiculous.

This is just... honestly laughable. 
Swtor was the most expensive games made when it was released. Now according to google article on developing budget, not developing + marketing (https://gamerant.com/most-expensive-games-ever-made-total-cost/#star-wars-the-old-republic---200m) only a game that has not released yet had more developing cost than swtor.
The difference between swtor and ff14 is that when ff14 failed they had to relaunch it and make it better and it keept growing and growing after each expansion, unlike most of other mmos that start big and then bleed players, with the exception of wow which grew at the beginning but now is following other mmos trend.
Square Enix couldn't let a ff fail and the developers LOVE their franchise, so they worked hard and fixed it.
When swtor failed because you can't release a story game as an mmo and expect it to do good, they went f2p and went into a "squeeze as much money as we can with as little investment", because they made the most expensive game to date and it was bleeding players. 
Looking for sympathy or excuses on lazy devs or greedy companies is something people need to stop doing and demand to get quality content for the money you are paying,
Look how amazing BG3 is doing, and how now oher devs of other companies are going into their self defense with the tail between their legs saying the game is an anomaly and people shouldn't expect the same from their games and companies saying if other developers do a game like BG3 they could go bankrupt. BG3 is an anomaly though, because it was made by devs that are passionate of their work and worked their butt off and didn't fall into any damn microtransaction or any shareholder's pressure (because it's a private company), and the game as someone that is not into that style of game and never played D&D, is plainly amazing.

On 7/30/2023 at 7:58 AM, Kazuone said:

Swtor will "soon" move to the cloud....So maybe it will be playable on Xbox one day too. It tooks ten years for ff14... never say nevers for swtor ;)

Game was on PlayStation and it wasn't on xbox because PlayStation was probably paying square enix money so hey wouldn't release games on xbox or one of their existing deals offering them exclusivity like PlayStation does with their games so people are forced to buy one of their consoles, very anti consumer friendly. 
On the other hand for swtor to come into console it would need not only all the work to port it, but dumbing down a lot every class so they can be played in a controller. Classes in ff14 are just so bring and bland, to both keep balance at check and so it would be easy to play on controller

Edited by xxSHOONYxx
  • Like 1

On 8/8/2023 at 9:33 AM, Balameb said:

. I think we were too spoiled by vanilla swtor story and forgot what MMOs 'should' offer in the long run.

That ^ is an excellent point and also why, in my opinion,  sandbox  > themepark  any day.

SWG started to combine more themepark elements with our patented sandbox  very well toward the latter part of NGE-2  era.

SWTOR could've been the perfect blend of  sandbox/themepark , but instead  grEAd  went with ridiculous Cartel Market free-to-PAY  system of reskin$  x  infinity as "content" . :(

On 8/8/2023 at 11:58 AM, Pirana said:

I played 14 for awhile, other than the combat being really slow early on, notably with their 2.5 GCD on all abilities, the story was just as good as the story here, subjective of course. Later on after ARR you do start to learn abilities which are your instant abilities that can be woven in between the GCD. I'll probably wind up checking out the latest expansion. SE, ANet, Blizz, Zenimax, etc... Those are companies this game's owners should have learned from over the last few years. As a Star Wars MMO, there is no reason this game should be where it currently sits. The core game is still good, end game is good, story is good, combat animations are very good, when you have all that and there is still a problem, look no further than management and how things are run. 

Kudos to 14, not only for being able to recover from their disastrous launch, but they're still going very strong. 

BW/EA def could have learned from SE and Blizzard, they had so many chances. I think honestly it came down to pride. SWTOR devs think their crap doesn't stink and it's bitten them in the ass on so many occasions.

As was stated in an earlier reply... Star Wars IP is so damn strong, there is no reason SWTOR should be doing this bad. Yes it is doing bad when compared to other MMOs ("bUt ThE sToRy" no you compare this to other big themepark MMOs it is doing terrible, get your head out of the sand). This game should be raking in WAY more money than it is now and should be as big as FFXIV and WoW. Comes down to the SWTOR devs and EA being idiots and fumbling one step after another.

Want to see how to do a Themepark story-driven MMO look at FFXIV. It crashed and burned just like SWTOR in the beginning but rose above and is now one of the biggest games, MMO wise, in the world. No reason SWTOR couldn't do the same thing if the people develop it actually care. 

1 hour ago, Guyverarmor said:

BW/EA def could have learned from SE and Blizzard, they had so many chances. I think honestly it came down to pride. SWTOR devs think their crap doesn't stink and it's bitten them in the ass on so many occasions.

As was stated in an earlier reply... Star Wars IP is so damn strong, there is no reason SWTOR should be doing this bad. Yes it is doing bad when compared to other MMOs ("bUt ThE sToRy" no you compare this to other big themepark MMOs it is doing terrible, get your head out of the sand). This game should be raking in WAY more money than it is now and should be as big as FFXIV and WoW. Comes down to the SWTOR devs and EA being idiots and fumbling one step after another.

Want to see how to do a Themepark story-driven MMO look at FFXIV. It crashed and burned just like SWTOR in the beginning but rose above and is now one of the biggest games, MMO wise, in the world. No reason SWTOR couldn't do the same thing if the people develop it actually care. 

No question it's pride, they want our opinions pertaining to this game and rarely take any of our feedback seriously. There's a difference in knowing how to develop a game and what is in the best interest of the game and its players. Even in WoW, the devs listen to player feedback when it comes to balancing classes, just since Dragonflight released, they've done numerous class changes. Even Yoshi over at SE, listened to our feedback. 

I don't think some of us expect that from this company, especially at this stage of the game, but I've been here since launch, I've watched this game balloon to over 200 servers after launch to where it is today, there is no reason a Star Wars MMO should be sitting where this one currently sits in the MMO genre. ESO just released another expansion and it's gotten very good reviews, WoW, GW2 is due to release another expansion later this month, including the release of their highly coveted Skyscale mount, which in the past could take weeks to earn, they're throwing that into the expansion, those companies listen to their players. This company rarely has, and this is the result.