FFXIV big update ... going to Xbox

LJ_Gibbs

2 hours ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

... and we get 20 min of "story" and a move to a new development team.

And there is a new expansion coming next Summer as well.  (I play FFXIV)  Dawntrail Officially Announced as Final Fantasy 14's Fifth Major Expansion - IGN  or  FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail

But do note this expansion will not be free, as the others cost as well, but considering what we get it is worth the cost.   Just a side note on the story lines especially from Heavensward onward -be prepared to have your heartstrings pulled and twisted over some things in the story.

Edited by casirabit

5 hours ago, casirabit said:

And there is a new expansion coming next Summer as well.  (I play FFXIV)  Dawntrail Officially Announced as Final Fantasy 14's Fifth Major Expansion - IGN  or  FINAL FANTASY XIV: Dawntrail

But do note this expansion will not be free, as the others cost as well, but considering what we get it is worth the cost.   Just a side note on the story lines especially from Heavensward onward -be prepared to have your heartstrings pulled and twisted over some things in the story.

I've heard the expansion might be taking influence from central and south america, which does sound interesting if what I heard is true even if I don't particularly care for FFXIV. No shade at the game, it just doesn't appeal to me but I can understand why its appealing to a lot of people! 

2 hours ago, FlameYOL said:

No one is forcing you to stay playing SWTOR, you can always go and play FFXIV. 

Just because I hate what little content we get doesn't mean I don't want to play the game.  I love how people always go right to that.  Criticize ANYTHING ... "No one is forcing you to play"

How about we EXPECT more content from the owners/developers of the game instead of the "here, take this plate of 3 kernels of corn and like it".

1 hour ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

Just because I hate what little content we get doesn't mean I don't want to play the game.  I love how people always go right to that.  Criticize ANYTHING ... "No one is forcing you to play"

How about we EXPECT more content from the owners/developers of the game instead of the "here, take this plate of 3 kernels of corn and like it".

If you hate the content then I do wonder why you keep playing it, nevertheless its not about the fact you criticized the game, that's fine. But more so you somehow expect more content from a developer team that is now even smaller, you think somehow creating this thread will achieve something? Anything at all? It won't, its a pointless rant that'll get lost in the sands of time alongside many others similar to it and nothing will change because no matter how many threads like these are created the development team will not magically spawn the hundreds of people they'd need to work on the game so it could compete with FFXIV, that is sadly not how businesses work. Now, you can either accept that and remain here having made peace with the fact SWTOR will get very little content compared to other triple A MMOs, go play another game since you're unsatisfied with the current situation (which is understandable, I'm not saying its wrong to be disappointed. Just that you shouldn't have expected more based on the track record from the 5 to 7 years so if you keep expecting SWTOR to compete with FFXIV, WoW or ESO you'll just be left disappointed especially now that its with an even smaller development studio) or remain here despite being unsatisfied and continue wallowing in your own self-inflicted misery as you usually do. Again, no one is forcing you to play the game, its fine to leave and move on. And its fine to rant too, just as its fine for me point out how pointless this rant is. 

4 hours ago, FlameYOL said:

No one is forcing you to stay playing SWTOR, you can always go and play FFXIV. 

That mentality of ignoring the issue because "no one is forcing you to x" doesn't work as well when this game is bleeding players.

Taking that same mentality...

No one is forcing you to reply to anyone in this thread, yet you still are.

People are free to voice their opinions.

Edited by Darkestmonty

28 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

That mentality of ignoring the issue because "no one is forcing you to x" doesn't work as well when this game is bleeding players.

Taking that same mentality...

No one is forcing you to reply to anyone in this thread, yet you still are.

People are free to voice their opinions.

I'm not ignoring the issue so much as providing an explanation as to why said issue will not be resolved in the way OP wants it to be, and that expecting that will only set OP for further disappointment, I'm not here to discuss the game bleeding players or whatnot. Merely pointing out how threads such as these which can be summarized with "FFXIV does X so why SWTOR doesn't do X too?" are pointless because of the reasons I mentioned in my previous comment. And as I pointed out in my own comment, people are free to rant. I'm also free to point out how pointless said rants are. So keep ranting, but it won't suddenly make SWTOR compete with FFXIV, ESO, WoW or any other major MMO. We should be focusing our critique on things SWTOR actually can do, not what we wish it could do but won't be able to under the current constraints.

2 hours ago, LJ_Gibbs said:

Just because one company can put out content like hot cakes, doesn't mean the other can. These are two different companies with different budgets and factors, that to expect the SWTOR to pump out content left and right to keep up with ff14, or even WoW, is ridiculous.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Bigfallenstar said:

Just because one company can put out content like hot cakes, doesn't mean the other can. These are two different companies with different budgets and factors, that to expect the SWTOR to pump out content left and right to keep up with ff14, or even WoW, is ridiculous.

this game doesn't have near the population or cash shop sales FFXIV has and the company that runs FFXIV didn't funnel everything it makes into other games.

we'll see how Broadsword handles things.

7 hours ago, FlameYOL said:

I've heard the expansion might be taking influence from central and south america, which does sound interesting if what I heard is true even if I don't particularly care for FFXIV. No shade at the game, it just doesn't appeal to me but I can understand why its appealing to a lot of people! 

When I tried it in February, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.  Of course, the first part of the story, A Realm Reborn takes a bit to get into but once I got to Heavensward the story got better and we also had some voice for some parts.   Of course, having dragons didn't hurt and this was the first time in this story, that I actually cried because of something that happened.  I also like the idea, you can have all the jobs, (classes) including crafting on one character (though you have to level them).   I might like it because I have always loved elves, fantasy type first and then Star Wars and it doesn't hurt that I it gives me some ideas for my fantasy fiction books as well and most of the people are pretty nice.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, casirabit said:

When I tried it in February, I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do.  Of course, the first part of the story, A Realm Reborn takes a bit to get into but once I got to Heavensward the story got better and we also had some voice for some parts.   Of course, having dragons didn't hurt and this was the first time in this story, that I actually cried because of something that happened.  I also like the idea, you can have all the jobs, (classes) including crafting on one character (though you have to level them).   I might like it because I have always loved elves, fantasy type first and then Star Wars and it doesn't hurt that I it gives me some ideas for my fantasy fiction books as well and most of the people are pretty nice.

Yeah like I said even if I'm not interested in the setting myself I can definitely see why people are, I've heard a lot of good things about the story which is good. I think MMOs can often forget that if their setting isn't solid, its not gonna draw people in. I think the idea of having all options in one character is interesting, I'm glad SWTOR somewhat move in that direction by allowing two classes per character instead of just one. I'm a huge fan of fantasy games but mostly western fantasy games, I admit I have never played a proper JRPG (outside of Dragon's Dogma which I tried out recently but didn't liked to stopped playing it) them being mostly turn-based with set protagonists never appealed to me so its why I never got into FF. Perhaps if I did the MMO would be draw me in easier. 

15 hours ago, Kazuone said:

Swtor will "soon" move to the cloud....So maybe it will be playable on Xbox one day too. It tooks ten years for ff14... never say nevers for swtor ;)

I'd love to dream but unless they get an increase in budget I'm not sure they can port it to consoles, then again I didn't thought that 64-bit would've been possible either so maybe I'll be proven wrong eventually. If so feel free to say "I told you so" to me in a few years, I'll gladly admit I was wrong!

il y a 26 minutes, FlameYOL a dit :

I'd love to dream but unless they get an increase in budget I'm not sure they can port it to consoles, then again I didn't thought that 64-bit would've been possible either so maybe I'll be proven wrong eventually. If so feel free to say "I told you so" to me in a few years, I'll gladly admit I was wrong!

There is one thing we're sure about with swtor... we know nothing.. Games of Communication ;). Everything is possible, from the best to the worst, but it's juste a game so, let's hope for the best and see what happens next. It's not like we're all fans off lalafels and stupids twins...For them, I would like to be a no mercy sith.. but that's another story ;)

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Kazuone said:

There is one thing we're sure about with swtor... we know nothing.. Games of Communication ;). Everything is possible, from the best to the worst, but it's juste a game so, let's hope for the best and see what happens next. It's not like we're all fans off lalafels and stupids twins...For them, I would like to be a no mercy sith.. but that's another story ;)

Oh there is definitely one thing we know FOR SURE... it is NEVER gonna be on a console.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, LJ_Gibbs said:

Well, maybe people "go right to that" because you have a link to unsubscribe from the game in your signature heh.

Dude, if you like Final Fantasy, that's totally cool yo. No one says people can't play other games as well as this one.

On 7/29/2023 at 9:35 PM, LJ_Gibbs said:

I think it's just a question of being realistic. I think everyone would agree with you that we'd like to have more content put out by SWTOR.

I think we probably all hope that they will give us more than "these 3 kernals of corn on the plate", but I think for a lot of players, especially long time players, there's isn't any real expectation of that. I don't see how anyone could have that expectation from this game given it's track record and it's financial circumstances.

I've considered trying Final Fantasy a number of times, I grew up playing AD&D, reading the Lord of the Rings, etc, and so that was my first taste of RPGs. I didn't start playing the West End Games Star War's Table Top RPG until I was like 18, so fantasy was really my first RPG experience.

I just can't get into Final Fantasy. It's mostly text based as I understand, and I don't like the anime visual experience, and bunny people and fox tails, and mixing fantasy with technology, that's just not my idea of 'middle earth' like fantasy. I'm also not into turn based games. I know FF isn't anymore, but I believe it use to be in earlier expansions.

SWTOR's voice based play has kinda spoiled some of the other mmo's for me. Every time I try and go back to games like LOTRO or Star Trek Online, the text based aspect of them really rubs me the wrong way now. They're still good games, but it definitely takes away from the experience IMO.

But for those that like Final Fantasy, hey, more power to you.

7 hours ago, casirabit said:

Lol, but just for the record I do but I do play both.

And more power to you. I'm glad you like it.

Every once in a while I pop back into DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) when I get the hack and slash itch and go all Half-Orc Fighter on Orcs and Goblin's asses!

It's not that great for story, I'm sure from everything I hear about Final Fantasy the stories are likely far more robust and compelling, but DDO is fun if you just wanna go pillaging and leaving a path of destruction in your wake. :w_mad:

7 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

And more power to you. I'm glad you like it.

Every once in a while I pop back into DDO (Dungeons and Dragons Online) when I get the hack and slash itch and go all Half-Orc Fighter on Orcs and Goblin's asses!

It's not that great for story, I'm sure from everything I hear about Final Fantasy the stories are likely far more robust and compelling, but DDO is fun if you just wanna go pillaging and leaving a path of destruction in your wake. :w_mad:

Yea, the stories in FFX are fun.  I wasn't expecting it to be good.  The ones at the beginning  (Realm Reborn)  was a bit difficult but once I got to Heavensward, they were different (some were voiced, not all) but I wasn't expecting to cry at one part of the story.   Of course, I tend to have a soft spot for elves, and really elves are cuter than orc's (my person opinion lol)

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 4:03 PM, casirabit said:

Yea, the stories in FFX are fun.  I wasn't expecting it to be good.  The ones at the beginning  (Realm Reborn)  was a bit difficult but once I got to Heavensward, they were different (some were voiced, not all) but I wasn't expecting to cry at one part of the story.   Of course, I tend to have a soft spot for elves, and really elves are cuter than orc's (my person opinion lol)

I like elves a lot too. I played an Elven Ranger for about 4 years in a Table Top RPG called RoleMaster.

The first character I ever played in RPGs was an Elven Fighter/Magic User in D&D. I was 6 years old (my brother is 8 years older than me and he got me into very young). I played that character until I was 17.

I'm also a huge fan of the Dark Elf Drizzt Do'urden in the Forgotten Realms D&D world. Your into fantasy RPG, I'm sure you know who he is.

I definitely have a thing for elves too. 😉

• Like 1