PvP needs love and a rework, not pointless seasons.

aaronmsh

11 minutes ago, Lord_Malganus said:

MMOs are designed for geared Pre-mades comprised of meta classes on voice coms with all advantages, to play against solo que players with all disadvantages, so all matches result in a blatant steamroll.

Fixed that for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Gw2 has a similar PvP system to FF14. Swtor PvP would be much better if they copied those 2 games more than WoW.

GW2 does have good things in their PvP but the game modes kill it for most people, that and their balancing team is probably even worse then SWTORs. (The annual brick in June at this point)

SWTOR PvP doesn't honestly require all that much to fix, but it would require having knowledge of the game mode to do so. Mostly you can tell its been done from the outside looking in versus having an indepth understanding.

One easy fix for example is have a piece of PvP only gear that offers a static defensive option. Choosing from:

- 15% AoE DR 

- 15% Periodic Resistance

- Soft Stuns reduced by 50%

- 20% chance to absorb damage up to 80k once per 1min 30 (similar to absorb relic)

- 2% DR against Melee

- 2% DR against Force

And so on

This would offer people a counter to their particular poison, bring back some level of customization again, wouldn't alter PvE in anyway. 

And could give back a lot of what is missing from prior eras without really needing to do anything.

Same could be done with Adrenals. Offer variety instead of just one type. 

There's a lot of easy ways to fix the mode imo. 

Edited by TheVoyant
  • Like 2

On 8/15/2023 at 8:25 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Gw2 has a similar PvP system to FF14. Swtor PvP would be much better if they copied those 2 games more than WoW.

I've been playing gw2 a lot lately when the queues die here. The pvp is much worse and allowing other levels and disregarding gear does nothing to fix their game. I play burn guardian and I'm more unkillable then a skank tank in swtor. I can kill 3-4 people in an opener and have zero chance of dying most of the match. swtor is in a better state then most mmo's pvp aside from new world and wow.

Edited by Prapcaster

10 hours ago, Prapcaster said:

I play burn guardian and I'm more unkillable then a skank tank in swtor.

I can confirm this. Probably the most fun part of GW2 is the preset gear and builds you can swap between. Also quite enjoy their map voter. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Beyrahl said:

Also quite enjoy their map voter

I don't know how you can have this in swtor. while i personally would remove quesh without...queshtion, it's easy to see how any sort of democratized map skipping/selection will kill the queue. I cannot convey how many ppl I see complain that AHG is their least favorite WZ. it gets played inefficiently all the time, but it has solid aspects of both node clicking and draining HP bars. you can basically do w/e you prefer and contribute constructively without even thinking about it.

there's just so many varied opinions with such a small/fragile popultion...and so many ppl who 1.) don't know how to play the maps and 2) don't care about winning (different grps), that the voting would just be all over the place, completely uninformed on the one hand and disinterested by the others (or worse, with motivations that are about funneling more ppl into a kill box).

on the other hand, not being able to quit a WZ without deserter penalty is infuriating when I get zero choice about the map, and I'm given zero recourse when either the other team or my own aren't even trying to win. iunno. I should've just stopped with "WZ are F'd."

38 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

don't know how you can have this in swtor. while i personally would remove quesh without...queshtion, it's easy to see how any sort of democratized map skipping/selection will kill the queue. I cannot convey how many ppl I see complain that AHG is their least favorite WZ. it gets played inefficiently all the time, but it has solid aspects of both node clicking and draining HP bars. you can basically do w/e you prefer and contribute constructively without even thinking about it.

You are right about AHG, it's because people hide under spawn, including streamers even. 
Playing a losing match - let alone an outnumbered uneven losing match is enough to make someone want to log out. This is part of why this map sticks out so much. There's so much open land and when you're outnumbered you realistically have nothing you can do, no matter how far you run, you just won't be safe. Even if you run to the players hiding under spawn, they won't help you. 

40 minutes ago, krackcommando said:

on the other hand, not being able to quit a WZ without deserter penalty is infuriating when I get zero choice about the map, and I'm given zero recourse when either the other team or my own aren't even trying to win. iunno. I should've just stopped with "WZ are F'd."

Mercy rule. 
I do think declining as a group should be removed but if a mercy rule is applied most of these "declined" games will end early if matchmakers' choices in backfills aren't sufficient. Far too many groups do often decline pops and along with that, there are a lot more groups than most people think, just because they're not automatically dominating doesn't mean they're not there. Suddenly grouping up as a few random friends who are new to Swtor doesn't make you a death ball that everyone avoids and complains about, but rather part of the reason it happens, chances are the matchmaker is putting them against each other because they are considered a premade. The random players who get sucked into both sides are just there for the ride and probably wouldn't know there actually is a group on both sides, just the winning side. So it's definitely something to consider, whereas the mercy rule would further help in these matches - it will, however, not change the outcome or consistency of these matches repeating. 
For example not long ago before 8mans were allowed, there were two different republic groups trying to form 8mans via Qsync, when it's late at night it's quite easy to do so. So, often times I would face their Qsync'd group, and even once they had a tank q up soloq to face us, who never taunted or guarded... smh. Now the other group that'd often be on our team would either be their sync pair which usually meant they got rolled as anyone would probably predict. Then if you got the other group, which mostly afk'd and played objectives throughout the night, you would be playing mostly 4v8. Some of those games were actually a lot of fun but, there were a lot of them where it was triple taunt stun on me the entire game. I actually ended up not playing much for quite some time after 8mans were allowed until taunt stun got removed because it made it that much easier to abuse. Whether it's 4 man cap or not, we still have fundamental issues that'll never be solved. In the eyes of the match maker, they see it was premades vsing premades nothing more, nothing less. So I don't have hope it'd magically fix things, but it would definitely solve active hours as Qsyncing is near impossible. 
Either way, a mercy rule really drives home and most games have one, this one has one but it only works if too many leaves, which only get promptly filled with backfillers. I haven't seen that mercy rule work in quite some time, the last time I think I saw it work was when a whole 8man left. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2023 at 9:39 PM, Lord_Malganus said:

PVP is designed for geared Pre-mades comprised of meta classes on voice coms with all advantages, to play against solo que players with all disadvantages, so all matches result in a blatant steamroll.

Heh well said, thats really how it is now.