The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Can we get free transfers off dead servers please?

StrikePrice

3 hours ago, krackcommando said:

hmm. says it violates imagur terms of service. they're just screen caps standing in my sh of my pvp boxes. 🤔

this has me intrigued.

I've had that happen to me a few times. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen. I've never been able to figure out why. Just one of those things.

no. but my extensive experience puts me in better position than most to judge how often large grps even appear in the queue of a solo player. and the extent to which smaller grps affect the outcome of matches. I daresay there are few if any with as little a life as myself who sit in the queue all the time and thus  have a greater grasp of the queue. but if there are, they are certainly a small circle...on SF.

I never said anything about the frequency of when it happens, I only said I don't agree with it and it shouldn't be a thing, 4 man premades is enough.

But I don't quite get your meaning about large/smaller groups.

The premade thing isn't about when one team has more players than another.If you are referring to the size of the premade, my objection is only with groups of premades with 5 or more players as members of the premade.

You're kinda building a straw-man argument here. You are injecting into your argument against my stance, things that are not a part of my argument/.stance. - Frequency and size was never a part of my argument.

and this came up in relation to server transfers and mergers because "premades killing queue" is a popular topic for why queues are (supposedly) bad, and low population queues is a major driver for merger discussion (or free transfers). :)

Okay, fair enough. 🫠

That might give the impression that there are less players around if you're just using those numbers and quece times of players in PVP. But  just because some people might have stopped pvping because of it (and thus effected the quece times due to less people pvping), that doesn't necessarily mean they're not playing other content in the game.

It might very well be true in some cases, but there are also other people, like myself, who like Raiding and PVP. PVP didn't make me quit the game, it just effected my interest in PVP and moved me to take a break from it. For some others story might also be something they're interested in doing as well as PVP. Lot's of alt-aholics out there.

One of the things they taught us in Criminal Investigation ( I was a Patrol Officer for 6 years) is that not all evidence is proof.  It's just evidence that supports a theory about what you think may have happened or seemed to have happened. And following that logic is why when they tell Jurors how to come to a decision of guilty or not guilty, you don't need to be 100% certain, the standard rather is 'beyond a reasonable doubt'.

And so the argument that less people in the PVP quece because of premades means they necessarily left the game enitirely, that falls into 'the reasonable doubt' area as I see it.

What constitutes 'reasonable', that can be a bit subjective at times. Depends on who you ask.

Our talks are a very good example of that.  :classic_tongue:

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

SS and SF are just different.

SF is indeed bigger in term of player size. And it has more pug activities, bigger GTN market (more item listing, cheaper items due to more people listing, and at least until last week the rpm/oem were sold with slightly higher price than on SS). It's a place a lot people who want to do group stuffs but want to stay casual go. The only time you will have trouble finding/forming a pug group is around 3-5AM USA time, which is also sort of an awkward time for EU and APAC players.

SS has a more private vibe to it. Most people run group contents within guild. A lot of player do solo stuffs on their own. Yes, it has fewer players, and you don't see the level of chaos and sh*t talk that happens spontaneously on the SF fleet chat 24/7, but it's far from dead, and drama certainly happens on fleet if you come in at the right time.

Now, the french server is pretty "dead" from my limited experience.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, eabevella said:

SS and SF are just different.

SF is indeed bigger in term of player size. And it has more pug activities, bigger GTN market (more item listing, cheaper items due to more people listing, and at least until last week the rpm/oem were sold with slightly higher price than on SS). It's a place a lot people who want to do group stuffs but want to stay casual go. The only time you will have trouble finding/forming a pug group is around 3-5AM USA time, which is also sort of an awkward time for EU and APAC players.

SS has a more private vibe to it. Most people run group contents within guild. A lot of player do solo stuffs on their own. Yes, it has fewer players, and you don't see the level of chaos and sh*t talk that happens spontaneously on the SF fleet chat 24/7, but it's far from dead, and drama certainly happens on fleet if you come in at the right time.

Now, the french server is pretty "dead" from my limited experience.

could it be that more players on SS are solo because the server lacks the population to keep group content going? When December rolls around you'll see SS become much more group oriented activity wise. Yes, a lot of people on both servers like to solo content, but on SS solo content or guild runs is their only options most of the time.

Edited by Darkestmonty

Just throwing this out there as a remote possibility. Because it hasn’t been brought up yet. And let me be clear, I’m not asking for this or even suggesting Broadsword do this. But what if they decide to turn Satele Shan into the APAC server & move it to Sydney 🤷🏻‍♀️.
If they did that, I think they would definitely need to offer free transfers so NA & EU people could migrate to Star Forge if they want to. And they would also need to offer APAC people free transfers to Satele. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

could it be that more players are solo because they lack the players to keep group content going? When December rolls around you'll see SS become much more active with group activities. Yes, a lot of people on both servers like to solo content, but on SS that is their only options most of the time.

You just need to find the right guild/people, which is pretty much the same regardless of server.

I am in guilds that do both end game casual raids, and a lot of cq/group chievo related stuffs on both SS and SF. Both servers are available in PvE group stuffs.

But if you want to grind like pugging SM EV/KP/DF/DP, or play the GTN market, SF is the server you want in. Even so, I have no problem forming a SM pug group on SS. People just don't grind it as hard as on SF. That's why I grind on SF for space barbie purpose.

As for PvP, I know my SS guild form PvP groups all the time. At the same time, pugging PvP is way faster on SF. But I rarely do PvP so I can't really comment here.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, eabevella said:

You just need to find the right guild/people, which is pretty much the same regardless of server.

I am in guilds that do both end game casual raids, and a lot of cq/group chievo related stuffs on both SS and SF. Both servers are available in PvE group stuffs.

But if you want to grind like pugging SM EV/KP/DF/DP, or play the GTN market, SF is the server you want in. Even so, I have no problem forming a SM pug group on SS. People just don't grind it as hard as on SF. That's why I grind on SF for space barbie purpose.

As for PvP, I know my SS guild form PvP groups all the time. At the same time, pugging PvP is way faster on SF. But I rarely do PvP so I can't really comment here.

That only works if you have a large guild that plays the exact same time you do and is willing to play the exact same content you want to play.

Even if you were part of this perfect guild, that guild doesn't replace a larger population stocking the GTN, playing group content on off hours when your guild is offline, or playing group content they have no interest in.

A guild is nice but it doesn't replace a well populated server.

Edited by Darkestmonty

5 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

That only works if you have a large guild that plays the exact same time you do and is willing to play the exact same content you want to play.

Even if you were part of this perfect guild, that guild doesn't replace a larger population stocking the GTN, playing group content on off hours when your guild is offline, or playing group content they have no interest in.

A guild is nice but it doesn't replace a well populated server.

Well, I can't do any "real" HM/NiM raids on SF even though I know they do them regularly because none of the guilds I'm in on SF are active when I'm online. APAC time zone sucks.

Doesn't mean endgame on SF is dead, which is my point: just because YOU can't find people to do the activities you want to do doesn't mean the server is dead. I already said if you want to pug casual group contents 24/7 or play space barbie, SF is your place to go, and exactly what I do.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, eabevella said:

Well, I can't do any "real" HM/NiM raids on SF even though I know they do them regularly because none of the guilds I'm in on SF are active when I'm online. APAC time zone sucks.

Doesn't mean endgame on SF is dead, which is my point: just because YOU can't find people to do the activities you want to do doesn't mean the server is dead. I already said if you want to pug casual group contents 24/7 or play space barbie, SF is your place to go, and exactly what I do.

I'm referring to SS, I play on SF and it's fine. SF is large enough you don't even need to be in a guild to run HM ops. SS, you can run group content during prime time hours but anything outside of that is a long wait.

3 minutes ago, Darkestmonty said:

I'm referring to SS, I play on SF and it's fine. SF is large enough you don't even need to be in a guild to run HM ops. SS, you can run group content during prime time hours but anything outside of that is a long wait.

The few times I dared to pug HM ops that are not KP/EV I had terrible experiences...

16 hours ago, Darkestmonty said:

could it be that more players on SS are solo because the server lacks the population to keep group content going? When December rolls around you'll see SS become much more group oriented activity wise. Yes, a lot of people on both servers like to solo content, but on SS solo content or guild runs is their only options most of the time.

I play solo on SS and probably wouldn’t take anything less than a forced transfer anywhere because I don’t want to.  I play irregular times and durations, and I tend to log in to do something specific.  It’s hard to be group oriented when nothing you do in game flanges up with group content.

Of course, I’m also not posting for my preferred play style under the guise of “best for my server”, either.  

On 7/16/2023 at 1:18 PM, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Seperate servers on MMOS are a necessary feature if you want people playing your game all around the world to be happy with the service they are paying for because most people in certain parts of the world, far from the locations of the server they are playing on, aren't happy playing in MMOS where they suffer from large amounts of ping issues and lag. Just ask the APAC players in this game.

Literally all reasons that are, again, why they are a necessity, not a feature.  If ping and lag were not an issue, you would have no point, genius, hence what I said.

6 hours ago, Eckrond said:

Literally all reasons that are, again, why they are a necessity, not a feature.  If ping and lag were not an issue, you would have no point, genius, hence what I said.

Point being, genius, not "Every person that enjoys the MULTIPLAYER aspect of any MMO wants megaservers."

Doesn't matter the reasons, it's an objectively false statement.

Tons of people who enjoy Multiplayer aspects of MMOs DON'T want Megaservers.

2 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Point being, genius, not "Every person that enjoys the MULTIPLAYER aspect of any MMO wants megaservers."

Doesn't matter the reasons, it's an objectively false statement.

Tons of people who enjoy Multiplayer aspects of MMOs DON'T want Megaservers.

Understand the conversation went in a different way, but I was not asking for a server merge. I just want a cost effective way to move my legacy off SS ... 30x1000 is too much to pay. I would gladly pay something like 30x100 to get it done. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StrikePrice said:

Understand the conversation went in a different way, but I was not asking for a server merge. I just want a cost effective way to move my legacy off SS ... 30x1000 is too much to pay. I would gladly pay something like 30x100 to get it done. 

I know pal, the comment wasn't directed at you or your suggestion.

I think what your saying would be a great idea and I hope they do it. That way, anyone who is unhappy over there, for whatever reason, can make a change that they feel will improve their game play and not have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

I get it, there are a ton of players who have lots and lots of alts, and they care about them and don't want to lose them and all the time, effort, credits and CC points they may have put into them.

41 minutes ago, Shayddow said:

I'd just like for my toons on one server to be able to give my toons on another server stuff. Like a galaxy-wide legacy bank.

I only play one character on one server so I'm not sure about how that works, but, are you saying that you can have multiple characters who are part of the same legacy, have the same legacy name, on the same account and just because they may be on a different server you are unable to send or share anything between them? No mail, no nothing?

If that is indeed the case, which it seems to be if I'm understanding correctly, than yeah, that's kinda lousy.

You can send stuff to another character from the same account and legacy cross faction, I do that with my brother who plays pubside and we share the same account and he's part of the same legacy. Normally you can't do that if its to someone else cross faction.

I don't see why they shouldn't allow characters from the same legacy to share between them just because it's a different server, unless there are technical reasons for it that may be problematic that I'm not aware of. Baring that, they should allow characters from the same legacy to share between each other, even across servers.

I always thought that was kind of the point of legacies. I also thought that was what legacy banks were for. Otherwise would people need a bank if you could just mail things to other characters on the same legacy anyways.

1 hour ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I only play one character on one server so I'm not sure about how that works, but, are you saying that you can have multiple characters who are part of the same legacy, have the same legacy name, on the same account and just because they may be on a different server you are unable to send or share anything between them? No mail, no nothing?

Correct. I play across DM, SF, SS and the Leviathan.  Legacy is the same on all 4 servers. I am unable to send mail or anything to any of my other characters on other servers.  The legacy cargo hold only works for all characters on that single server.

13 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

The 7.3 patch population crater the whole game felt is particularly bad on SS. I'd say population is down at least 40% over the last month. 

The new PvP season started this week. Have you noticed an uptick in numbers on SS?

Ive been watching the Steam numbers all week & there hasn’t been the uptick across the game that I was expecting. I guess we’ll see this weekend if the numbers are much higher than last weekend or not. And if they continue at their current drop rate, that would certainly be telling what players are feeling / thinking about things.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TziganeNZ said:

Correct. I play across DM, SF, SS and the Leviathan.  Legacy is the same on all 4 servers. I am unable to send mail or anything to any of my other characters on other servers.  The legacy cargo hold only works for all characters on that single server.

That's to bad.

I thought that was the whole point of Legacies. So when items say 'bound to legacy', that's not entirely true than.

You have to do the whole gearing process from scratch on each server, instead of being able to  share armoring, mods, enhancements, hilts, barrels. You need to do Zeek and Hyde on each server.

You have to craft and sell on each server to make credits, and not have any nest egg to help you get started. Everything is from scratch.

Can't use crafting resources you've collected and got from gathering missions and pool them like you can on one server across the servers.

Your achievements only show the ones you earned on any one given server. Can't use titles you earned from the other servers.

You have to redo strongholds and can't use the ones you made on another server.

You have to redo all the class stories all over again if you want your characters on that server to have all the class buffs.

Doesn't seem very fair to me. People put a lot of time and effort into some of these things over the course of years sometimes.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I thought that was the whole point of Legacies. So when items say 'bound to legacy', that's not entirely true than.

You have to do the whole gearing process from scratch on each server, instead of being able to  share armoring, mods, enhancements, hilts, barrels. You need to do Zeek and Hyde on each server.

You have to craft and sell on each server to make credits, and not have any nest egg to help you get started. Everything is from scratch.

Can't use crafting resources you've collected and got from gathering missions and pool them like you can on one server across the servers.

Your achievements only show the ones you earned on any one given server. Can't use titles you earned from the other servers.

You have to redo strongholds and can't use the ones you made on another server.

You have to redo all the class stories all over again if you want your characters on that server to have all the class buffs.

Doesn't seem very fair to me. People put a lot of time and effort into some of these things over the course of years sometimes.

Yes, that's exactly correct.  Each server is standalone - you have do do it all again from scratch for each one.

In some ways it's not bad - it can be quite refreshing to start out completely new.  In other ways, it's a blasted pain in the rear.  Having to get datacrons again, having to do 8 sets of class stories to unlock legacy buffs, even having to level your legacy from level 1....can't share armour, mods, resources, credits across servers.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TziganeNZ said:

Yes, that's exactly correct.  Each server is standalone - you have do do it all again from scratch for each one.

In some ways it's not bad - it can be quite refreshing to start out completely new.  In other ways, it's a blasted pain in the rear.  Having to get datacrons again, having to do 8 sets of class stories to unlock legacy buffs, even having to level your legacy from level 1....can't share armour, mods, resources, credits across servers.

Ohh, that's right! I didn't even think of the datacrons! The datacrons were a pain in the rear the one time, I'd hate to have to do that all over again!

Just out of curiosity, what is the draw for playing on another server?

I mean, if you like the starting over part because it kinda let's you relive the memories of the first time around, I could maybe see that.

But given some of the downsides to it, why do people play on different servers if they come with those sorts of...limitations, not sure if that's the right word, but hopefully you get my meaning.

Why not just make new characters on one server and be able to have access to everything thru the legacy?

6 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

The new PvP season started this week. Have you noticed an uptick in numbers on SS?

Ive been watching the Steam numbers all week & there hasn’t been the uptick across the game that I was expecting. I guess we’ll see this weekend if the numbers are much higher than last weekend or not. And if they continue at their current drop rate, that would certainly be telling what players are feeling / thinking about things.

There's more people playing PvP. What happens is people get their weeklies on Tues or Wed then it falls off. I'm measuring my perceived numbers mostly by how many people are hanging out on the fleet. Not the best measure, but usually when I'm on, it's over 100 (barely). Lately, it's been in the 50s-60s.

4 hours ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Just out of curiosity, what is the draw for playing on another server?

You can gain more free CC’s for doing first’s on your legacy. Plus more CC rewards per account from Galactic Season rewards. CC’s are the only account wide currency.