Uses of AI in the game.

sundancebill

With AI on the rise  the things they could do with it in the  gaming world  seem endless. In character/NPC  interactions particularly  .

As an example you would not be limited to 3 or 4  repetitive rote  conversations  with companions as they could see what you do and react on the fly.

• 1 month later...
On 7/12/2023 at 4:30 AM, sundancebill said:

With AI on the rise  the things they could do with it in the  gaming world  seem endless. In character/NPC  interactions particularly  .

As an example you would not be limited to 3 or 4  repetitive rote  conversations  with companions as they could see what you do and react on the fly.

An AI is just a computer programmed to do something by a HUMAN. Yes, they ( the computers) might try to replicate human voices in games, but without the depth or nuance of a REAL human voice - for example AI Malgus is going to tell your character he  is going to kill or torture them with the very same polite and impersonal voice of the AI selling train tickets in your local train station.. Do you want that? I don't, lol.

One other aspect : I don't know for sure how things work, but what if the companion characters are not all the property of Disney or w/e owns EA? What if a content creator refuses to let the companion character they coded be voiced by an AI? That could mean that particular companion would have to disappear, be "killed off" or or pulled out of game completely! 

Yes, an AI might try to imitate .. Lana Beniko's voice actress' .. voice, but that would bring legal issues, what if she doesn't want an AI to replicate her voice? What if she wants to be payed to "lend" her voice to an AI? Let's say there won't be any issues and an AI will voice Lana, will it be the same thing? No, we will all hear something like " is the same voice but is not". 

One option : SWTOR 2.0 , without human voice actors, without any connection to SWTOR 1.0, except the fact that your "new" character is a descendant of your "old" character. Your new character will have new companions, all voiced by AI and have more meaningful interactions or conversations with them. Sounds good? 

6 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

what if the companion characters are not all the property of Disney or w/e owns EA

They would be the property of Electronic Arts (via its purchase of BioWare before work on SWTOR began).  Disney owns the *Star Wars* aspect, but the specific characters in any specific SW game belong to the company that makes the game.  Note: Disney does not own EA.

6 hours ago, Hrafnhildur said:

What if a content creator refuses to let the companion character they coded be voiced by an AI

By "content creator" here, I presume you're talking about the character designers who work (now) for Broadsword rather than folks like Vulkk and Swtorista.  If that presumption is correct, then they can't, as such refuse such a thing, because the companion would count as "work for hire", which means, under US law, that the rights belong to the employer.

• 2 weeks later...

I think, with so many hours of dialogue recorded for player characters, it's an interesting possibility, legal and ethical issues aside. Particularly given the circumstances SWTOR finds itself in, compared to other older MMOs which have managed to keep going after leaving their original development studios (ex: LOTRO), the cost of voice-acted questing is likely a significant financial hurdle.  

If it's possible to massage past voice recordings into realistic-sounding new dialogue, complete with the nuances necessary to avoid a steep drop-off in the player experience, it might be worth looking into. Given SWTOR's age and scope leading into 7.0, I doubt the game is still a very significant part of the voice actors' incomes. It might be possible to negotiate rights to use their voice in content going forward, especially if voiced player characters wouldn't otherwise be used at all. 

I'll admit to being ignorant of the legal issues involved in this type of situation - maybe this isn't at all possible. And, unlike many other folks who play SWTOR, I don't actually mind the old KOTOR-style, silent player approach. It's simply jarring switching from voiced player characters to non-voiced ones, in my opinion, within updates (what came after the end of KotFE's original 9 chapters, for example, or even 7.3).

Looking back on it, I wish the game hadn't used voice-acted player characters at all and stuck with the KOTOR model, considering the game is an MMO and was expected to be developed for many years. A rich, intricate story can be told with voiced NPCs and silent player characters. Paying 48 people to voice our characters in SWTOR, while done extremely well, was a bit of a crazy decision. 

Edited by arunav

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Whykara said:

They could get an AI to look through the code and sort out some of the redundancies that piled up over the years. 

AI is not a magic solution either to fix codes, nor it's intelligent.
If many on the internet the ai uses to "learn" sees 1 +  1 = 3, the AI will take it as a true statement and it will start using those results and messing up everything. Or the rails its give so it doesn't "say" something controversial will give wrong answers.

Sometimes you can give it some line of code to fix (nothing too difficult) and either the code is exactly the same as the one you gave it saying it works when it doesn't, "fixes" the code by breaking it in a different place or the best is when it gives you a "solution", tell  it the compiler/debug keeps giving you issues and says sorry and that the code it will write now will fix it... the code was the same it was given the first time, the one that did not work.

AI for npc interactions can be ready/close to use soon (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8xZb6J3r0), to write or fix any code, let alone the thousand/millions of line of code an mmo, if it does it you will be lucky if our pc doesn't break when you click on the launcher

Edited by xxSHOONYxx

On 8/20/2023 at 1:03 AM, Hrafnhildur said:

One option : SWTOR 2.0 , without human voice actors, without any connection to SWTOR 1.0, except the fact that your "new" character is a descendant of your "old" character. Your new character will have new companions, all voiced by AI and have more meaningful interactions or conversations with them. Sounds good? 

With this dev team? I highly doubt it.

On 8/20/2023 at 7:03 AM, Hrafnhildur said:

if there is a SWTOR 2.0 comming i like to see more there make it the same like the 1.0 version only by using a better game engine what is the compleet version and not a beta or any other stage version.

• 2 weeks later...

Nah, there's a charm to the repeated idle convos, if i click on Theron and i hear a robotic abomination of a voice trying to sound like Theron would (which will likely be a caricature of his own character as most character AI's have shown to be), instead of "Vacation, i just love the sound of the word... Vacaaationn" then i will be very, very sad, and fearful of the future of humanity.

• Like 2