Not Same Game Version

Beckwith

I log into the launcher and put in my log in info and then it downloads something and then it goes to character selection and says the game version is not the same. Yesterday I set the compatibility to Run Windows 8 and that worked, but today it is not working to set it to that. 

Same issue. I've been trying all steps in various threads for the last several hours to no avail. As others have stated, you can just ignore the window and select "PLAY" on your character and get in-game, but if there really is a conflict between your game version and the server's and they fix this, you may lose progress/credits/items. I've reinstalled the game, updated drivers, etc. Nothing has worked. I wish we could get some kind of update on this- it's been several hours since @JackieKohas weighed in...

• Like 1

• Dev Post
14 minutes ago, Karnusk said:

Same issue. I've been trying all steps in various threads for the last several hours to no avail. As others have stated, you can just ignore the window and select "PLAY" on your character and get in-game, but if there really is a conflict between your game version and the server's and they fix this, you may lose progress/credits/items. I've reinstalled the game, updated drivers, etc. Nothing has worked. I wish we could get some kind of update on this- it's been several hours since @JackieKohas weighed in...

Have you sent a log file to the support team? If not, you can send an email to support@swtor.com with 1) your account name and 2) the files located here C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\LocalLow\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher

• Like 2

• Dev Post
27 minutes ago, Beckwith said:

I log into the launcher and put in my log in info and then it downloads something and then it goes to character selection and says the game version is not the same. Yesterday I set the compatibility to Run Windows 8 and that worked, but today it is not working to set it to that. 

Wrote this in another thread, but the compatibility mode setting should stick when you set it after you open the launcher. If you would confirm that it does after following the steps laid out in the linked post, that would be awesome. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Wrote this in another thread, but the compatibility mode setting should stick when you set it after you open the launcher. If you would confirm that it does after following the steps laid out in the linked post, that would be awesome. 

They did not stick until I used the option to "change settings for all users", then ticked "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8" and "Run this program as as administrator". Now they persist.

• Like 1

• Dev Post
5 minutes ago, Karnusk said:

They did not stick until I used the option to "change settings for all users", then ticked "Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 8" and "Run this program as as administrator". Now they persist.

Did that resolve your game version issue or did it not? 

• Like 1

Tech support had me do a full reinstall, plus several other things.

What's really weird is that it seemed to work, for two logins, and then stopped working again an hour later.

When the launcher first opens, it flashes an icon of two arrows in a circle, and says "No items available."

Then it shows the "Play" button screen.

Most of the time - but not all the time - it still gives an error that I'm on the wrong version and quits out.

I don't know tech, but are there several servers running the game?  Is this some random thing, that if you get load balanced off to a server/VM/whatever that thinks it's on a previous version, you have issues?  Just a wild-arse guess.

Interestingly, I am on a wired connection on a college campus. I unplugged and used my iphone as a mobile hotspot. The launcher downloaded an ~50Mb update, then the game started with no error message. I quit the game, left the hotspot, and plugged in the ethernet cable. Error message returns on character screen.

There are two files in C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars-The Old Republic\Assets that seem to be not updating correctly. They are assets_en_us.swtor.metafile.json (which should be June 21st) and assets_shared.swtor.metafile.json (June 28th)

6 hours ago, Karnusk said:

Interestingly, I am on a wired connection on a college campus. I unplugged and used my iphone as a mobile hotspot. The launcher downloaded an ~50Mb update, then the game started with no error message. I quit the game, left the hotspot, and plugged in the ethernet cable. Error message returns on character screen.

@JackieKo
This sounds like a similar error that was happening weeks ago for people using a specific ISP. As soon as people used a VPN to by pass their ISP’s information, the game worked fine. But if they turned off the VPN, the problem came back. 

This certainly sounds like it might be isolated to people on a specific ISP or backhaul route to the servers.

What might help to narrow the issue down & get a fix, is if everyone having this problem can report which ISP they use to the swtor team. 

Just logged in and no more error message...I think you are probably correct @TrixxieTriss that this is related to certain ISP's. I've had this issue happen once before and it resolved itself within a few hours. All other patches and updates I've been able to get right away. Just a bummer that I lost all day yesterday but things seem fine now.

Just logged into the client, there was a small download out of nowhere and now the version no longer matches. Incidentally, I logged into my account on another PC and it works fine there, no additional download and no issues with the game version.

The issue comes and goes for me.  It first started with 7.3.    I needed to use a VPN to connect on 2 of my 3 computers.   There was a thread about that and everyone in that particular thread who said they have issues were on Wide Open West for an ISP - myself included.

And the issue popped up again for me today with this latest mini update.  ( /yay  :(     )

I have the same problem. My provider is Deutsche Telekom, which is widely used here in Germany, so I am not sure if the issue is really related to the provider.

It's still possible to play by just not clicking "OK" when the message pops up. Still, it's annoying, and I hope they fix this issue instead of giving people useless 1st level support "tips", like reinstalling the game or running it in compatibility mode.

What I am seeing is that when this comes up, if I log out (or click on the "OK" button) and log back in it is fine. It is also very sporadic for me and could be a packet loss issue with busy internet routes as I only really see it during prime time US. It seems to affect both US servers but I haven't seen it logging into the European servers, although, I play there less frequently

Same as @Midassi I have logged in using the launcher since 2011 and never had this issue.  Now logging in after the update on 4th July I can access the game by ignoring the message and just clicking into the character.  Will this cause a problem down the road by skirting around the warning?

OK, I logged out and clicked on the warning - it fired me back to Windows. I re-launched the launcher and it downloaded the weekly patch again and now the warning has gone.

Edited by hillerbees

11 hours ago, DWho said:

It seems to affect both US servers but I haven't seen it logging into the European servers, although, I play there less frequently

I am logging in on Tulak Hord (Europe) from Germany, with an average ping time of around 40ms, and still have the issue every single time I start the game.

On 6/30/2023 at 10:18 PM, Karnusk said:

Just logged in and no more error message...I think you are probably correct that this is related to certain ISP's

@JackieKo I’m starting to think it’s not the ISP’s as such, but the internet back haul companies infrastructure settings. Their network protocols may not be using the same versions as swtor’s. I’ve run into this issue many years ago. 

UPDATE- After playing fine yesterday, got error again today after logging in. I do notice after logging in but before pressing "play", "Checking for updates" seems to quickly flash a few times in the lower left corner of the launcher like it is looking for but not able to download an update. As before, I'm sure this will resolve "on it's own" in time, but I'd hate to lose another whole day of play time.

This may be a problem with the launcher identifying the game version installed. I had the launcher re-verify all 35 GB today (it says downloading but it didn't actually download anything) and after that I got the error. Closing out and relaunching resulted in an additional 3 GB download (an actual download this time) and after that everything was fine. It may be the launcher is incorrectly "resetting" the game to an earlier version which it then corrects when relaunched.