Voss is so bland and just ugly looking after 7.3 its a downgrade across the board!

Darittha

Title says it all. i was shocked when i logged Voss after 7.3, all the color that made Voss so nice looking is bleached. I immediately realized that old Voss assets have been used for the new area and changed and these changes propagated through to the original Voss planet making it look so damn ugly.

I went through some old screenshots i randomly took while on Voss and made new screenshots to compare them: it just looks awful!

I play with low grass and tree settings, but even when i tried to turn it up - the grass doesnt cover up the ugliness of the terrain now.

Is there a possibility of fixing this? I mean you already had all the Voss assets so why change it at all? Why not use the existing assets and waste dev time changing it when it looks so awful now?

Edited by Darittha
  • Like 3

Yes, I just checked shadows & textures and it did not change between low and high settings. (I have changed between high and low relatively recently (when Ruhnik came out) in an attempt to be able to see the Ruhnik datacron area - still doesn't work with low contrast - in an attempt to make the area less dark.

I think they messed up on Voss tho. 

• 3 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, Lichtfaengerin said:

Is this even confirmed somewhere as a bug?

I don't think it's a bug. They redid most or all the textures on Voss when they added Interpreter's Retreat to the planet. The new textures are sharper than the old textures, but the colors are not the same, giving the old areas of the planet a different look than before. Kind of reminds me of Skyrim texture mods.

11 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

I don't think it's a bug. They redid most or all the textures on Voss when they added Interpreter's Retreat to the planet. The new textures are sharper than the old textures, but the colors are not the same, giving the old areas of the planet a different look than before. Kind of reminds me of Skyrim texture mods.

It can't possibly be an upgrade. The trees look no different with high or low textures on, I can't even tell which screenshot is which. Compared to old pictures of Voss, the leaves look rubbery and are not properly shaded, and the tree bark has lost all details. Shrubbery is basically invisible from afar.

10 hours ago, Lichtfaengerin said:

It can't possibly be an upgrade. The trees look no different with high or low textures on, I can't even tell which screenshot is which. Compared to old pictures of Voss, the leaves look rubbery and are not properly shaded, and the tree bark has lost all details. Shrubbery is basically invisible from afar.

Yeah, they shrunk the size of the grass and shrubs. Not sure why they did that. Part of the problem is the colors are so close to each other, so it's hard to discern the grass/shrubs from the ground. I think before the grass was more of a yellow color and the ground was more of an orange, so it was easier to see grass (plus the grass being longer).

After having not logged in for a month or so, I went to Voss to see this for myself.  Other than the sky being more orange than before, I'm just not seeing what you guys are!  The planet has always looked like it's in a perpetual state of Fall, so the colors tend to all be from the same palette anyway.  What I did see that was beyond bizarre, was that I literally had the whole planet to myself!  Not ONE other player was in my instance!  I have legitimately never seen that before!

13 hours ago, cmcougar said:

What I did see that was beyond bizarre, was that I literally had the whole planet to myself!  Not ONE other player was in my instance!  I have legitimately never seen that before!

This can happen from time to time if one instance gets full and you go to that planet and it puts you to new instance and you will be alone, or almost alone there.

Pvp instances can also be very quiet.

When you open map, on left you have a dropdown menu where you can see all current instances and change between them if you want to go to more populated one.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cmcougar said:

After having not logged in for a month or so, I went to Voss to see this for myself.  Other than the sky being more orange than before, I'm just not seeing what you guys are!  The planet has always looked like it's in a perpetual state of Fall, so the colors tend to all be from the same palette anyway.  What I did see that was beyond bizarre, was that I literally had the whole planet to myself!  Not ONE other player was in my instance!  I have legitimately never seen that before!

I have no basis of comparison because I don't have any screenshots from earlier Voss, but the screenies that the OP posted are very clear. the new shots look "bleached." so assuming it wasn't something he did on his end, the difference is pretty stark to me. almost like going from a crap LED to OLED. or like viewing a cheap QLED from a wide angle versus an OLED. the colors get washed on the wide viewing angles of cheaper LEDs.

2 hours ago, krackcommando said:

I have no basis of comparison because I don't have any screenshots from earlier Voss, but the screenies that the OP posted are very clear. the new shots look "bleached." so assuming it wasn't something he did on his end, the difference is pretty stark to me. almost like going from a crap LED to OLED. or like viewing a cheap QLED from a wide angle versus an OLED. the colors get washed on the wide viewing angles of cheaper LEDs.

i just went through old pics which seemed to decently show the "voss look"
voss now looks like half-desert world with how bleached it is and how many dust/sand spots are found in the grasslands now where before it looked like full-autumn

58 minutes ago, Darittha said:

voss now looks like half-desert world with how bleached it is and how many dust/sand spots are found in the grasslands now where before it looked like full-autumn

I agree. the new voss looked bleached. just meant to say that the only side by side reference i have is from you not first hand.

5 hours ago, krackcommando said:

I didn't see any screen shot links in the OP.  Did I miss something?

2 hours ago, Darittha said:

In defence of this, the planet was decimated by war.  Maybe it just hasn't fully recovered yet?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cmcougar said:

I didn't see any screen shot links in the OP.  Did I miss something?

O.K.  Nevermind.  I found the hot link.  It does look a bit different, but it isn't nearly as bad as you guys are making out.  Having seen the side by side comparison, I will stand by my 'decimated by war' comment.🙂

9 hours ago, cmcougar said:

In defence of this, the planet was decimated by war.  Maybe it just hasn't fully recovered yet?

Or maybe the Interpreter's Retreat looks different because of all the Force sensitives gathered there ? ( The Three, mystics, potential mystics, interpreters) . I know this is an outstretch, but maybe the Force can somehow affect/alter the environment? 

• Like 1

On every other planet there's a noticeable difference when you switch between high and low textures. Not so on Voss after the update, so I hope it's not intended.

I also came across some black shrubbery, which hopefully also means something went wrong with the textures.

Just would be grand if the devs were to acknowledge this.

• Like 1

Not only does the planet look duller and less saturated, they also changed the trees. You can see this in the OP's pictures - previously the trees had horizontal bark like birches, which gave the planet a unique look. The new trees seem to just be recolored assets from other planets. If the "texture upgrades" are going to be this lazy, I'd rather they not do them.

But what's even worse than that is that the ground now looks like a pixelly blur while moving. It literally looks like I'm playing on an analog tv. Even the SWTOR team couldn't have intended something so horrible, but I don't see any acknowledgement of this issue. It seems to be a different one than the low texture quality bug, because the textures still look high resolution for me. It's just the ground that is a mess.

• Like 2