An update on the development of SWTOR

KeithKanneg

2 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

Yes, there’s no way details can be shared until a deal is done. And I wish people wouldn’t be so conspiratorial eg Keith or anybody. There’s just no way their hands aren’t tied right now. 

Without question @KeithKanneg @JackieKo (all other staff members) are under the strictest orders to hold ALL comments.  Even the slightest slip right could and WOULD create additional difficulties and probably immediate termination!

Now ..  it's time to be patient.  When the time comes we will see what happens and then go from there!  (Yeah, I realize that this response is probably not quite as dramatic or filled with hostility toward someone) ...BUT IMO ... it is the right thing to do!

• Like 4

I mean lets be honest, the recent history that created the skepticism and its no secret EA hasnt given a rats and now its clear BW didnt either, the latter a bit surprising considering some of the garbage they put out of late but i digress. 

This is either the dawn of a new day, or the beginning of the end, it CANT be status quo or business as usual, not with such a huge shift, that will only erode confidence further. 

@JackieKo  @KeithKanneg  @EricMusco  We need to know what the plan is beyond what we already know.   Whats out there beyond the already planned and announced 7.4, and a rough estimate on when its release is planned. 

There is no reality, at least no good one, where there isnt a roadmap somewhere, you need to release it.  Even if its just the broad strokes and generalities.   Something to hang our hopes on.

Most of us want to believe, but you really badly need to give us a reason to right now. 

I dont think this is an unreasonable request if you want me to continue my subscription and support of this game... which i want to do,,, the balls in your court. 

Edited by Floplag
  • Confused 2

24 minutes ago, Floplag said:

There is no reality, at least no good one, where there isnt a roadmap somewhere, you need to release it.  Even if its just the broad strokes and generalities.   Something to hang our hopes on.

They obviously can’t release a road map or business plans to an online forum for a deal that’s in the works and only has a letter of intent. Be serious. 

Edited by jedimasterjac
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just now, jedimasterjac said:

They obviously can’t release a road map or business plans to an online forum for a deal that’s in the works and only has a letter of intent. Be serious. 

The shift should have nothing to do with what was already on the books as planned content whether it was EA/BW or Broadsword.
Im not asking for revenue or business numbers or who gets what part of what pie, im asking for the content plan, which is irrelevant to all that and must exists somewhere if the game truly has a future. 
Yeah, this might change some of that, but asking what the current long term plan is has nothing to do with business dealings. 

5 minutes ago, Floplag said:

The shift should have nothing to do with what was already on the books as planned content whether it was EA/BW or Broadsword.
Im not asking for revenue or business numbers or who gets what part of what pie, im asking for the content plan, which is irrelevant to all that and must exists somewhere if the game truly has a future. 
Yeah, this might change some of that, but asking what the current long term plan is has nothing to do with business dealings. 

I mean. It has everything to do with business dealings. 

8 minutes ago, Floplag said:

It's a declining 12 year old MMO on a terrible proprietary engine on a declining IP that is expensive to develop for. What do you think the roadmap is? Put it on maintenance mode, add more monetization schemes, bleed it dry, move on. It's what broadsword did in the past and it seems to have been working for them. Why change that?

Edited by sithBracer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

It's a declining 12 year old MMO on a terrible engine on a declining IP that is expensive to develop for. What do you think the roadmap is? Put it on maintenance mode, add more monetization schemes, bleed it dry, move on. It's what broadsword did in the past and it seems to have been working for them. Why change that?

The answer is obvious, theres still more to be made. 

1 hour ago, sithBracer said:

I seriously doubt it is in any of their aspirations to move to virginia to work at that garbage company.

You don't know that.  The EMPLOYEES MAKE THE COMPANY!  I've been at my current job for 13½ years, much longer than I ever thought I'd be working for them, and it is a very different corporate culture NOW than it was in December of 2009 when I came on board.  The reason?  An influx of new people in all levels of the company has transformed it from within, helping it to evolve into a better company as we've grown to at least double the size we were back then!

Let's do a conservative estimate here.  Let's say 40 people on the game's Development Team, people that are passionate about this game, that want it to continue, and want it to thrive, decide to move over to Broadsword and keep working on this game.  That's enough of an influx of new people to transform that company from within.

But you can't predict the future any more than I can.  

"Hard to see, the future is.  Always in motion."
--Master Yoda :csw_yoda:

Edited by ReKabNad
  • Like 1

Just now, Floplag said:

The answer is obvious, theres still more to be made. 

With half the development staff? More requires more investment. More investment, by definition, requires more risk. Why would any CEO in their right mind do that when they can just get a sure thing? It might not be as much money as they can "possibly" make, but it is not a gamble.

3 hours ago, OlBuzzard said:

From a stand point on the CC's ... 

Yes .. I agree let's see what shakes out!  They might remain in circulation ... they might be converted into another currency at "xyz" exchange rate.  Sooo ... Yeah !  Probably a good idea to see what is announced for a definitive conclusion.

Hmmmm...

Ya know something else that might work?  What if ...

What if (those that wanted to) were given the opportunity to purchase something really sweet for a memory item to be shipped to our front door?  And yes...  even the option to purchase additional coins if needed.  One last shot in the arm for EA .. AND one nice memento for my book case (or desk top).

Ya know .. as crazy as that sounds it might just work.  AND it might solved another transition issue as well!  (just a thought)

I still have the PDF "book" that SOE put together as a remembrance for SWG.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ReKabNad said:

You don't know that.  The EMPLOYEES MAKE THE COMPANY!  I've been at my current job for 13½ years, much longer than I ever thought I'd be working for them, and it is a very different corporate culture NOW than it was in December of 2009 when I came on board.  The reason?  An influx of new people in all levels of the company has transformed it from within, helping it to evolve into a better company as we've grown to at least double the size we were back then!

Let's do a conservative estimate here.  Let's say 40 people on the game's Development Team, people that are passionate about this game, that want it to continue, and want it to thrive, decide to move over to Broadsword and keep working on this game.  That's enough of an influx of new people to transform that company from within.

But you can't predict the future any more than I can.  

"Hard to see, the future is.  Always in motion."
--Master Yoda :csw_yoda:

Ok, you know what, you are right. go ahead and sub for 20 years, buy more and more cartel coins. Show everyone how passionate you are and support this company which will 100% risk all its money on a 12 year old declining MMO on a declining IP. Oh look, it's a flying pig!

1 minute ago, sithBracer said:

With half the development staff? More requires more investment. More investment, by definition, requires more risk. Why would any CEO in their right mind do that when they can just get a sure thing? It might not be as much money as they can "possibly" make, but it is not a gamble.

Youre arguing stuff we dont know, and has nothing to do with my post frankly.
What im asking is simple, release what the roadmap is, whatever it is, if you want me to continue supporting this game.
If they cant or wont do that then you may well be right, but i would rather hear that from them, than you, with all due respect. 

2 minutes ago, sithBracer said:

Ok, you know what, you are right. go ahead and sub for 20 years, buy more and more cartel coins. Show everyone how passionate you are and support this company which will 100% risk all its money on a 12 year old declining MMO on a declining IP. Oh look, it's a flying pig!

OK youre just trolling now... age of a game has nothing to do with if if its still fun.  WoW is even older still leads the MMO field.. in fact EVERY leading MMO is getting quite long in the tooth right now. 
Bottom line for me is simple, if they want my continued support, which i want to give, i want to know the plan... otherwise its time to move on for good
The rest is moot. 

Edited by Floplag

6 minutes ago, Darev said:

I still have the PDF "book" that SOE put together as a remembrance for SWG.

SWEET !!

I have one of those "Figue-Prints" from WoW!!  A Tarun with very high end armor that I crafted as well as two MAJOR hard hitting axes!

Hmmm  !  With their connection to Disney I wonder if we could get a Mando helment ..  light saber (with SWTOR plaque) .  Yeah .. I have that kind of an imagination!  (and it gets me into trouble from time to time).

😇

Edited by OlBuzzard
additional information

6 minutes ago, Floplag said:

OK youre just trolling now... age of a game has nothing to do with if if its still fun.  WoW is even older still leads the MMO field.. in fact EVERY leading MMO is getting quite long in the tooth right now. 
Bottom line for me is simple, if they want my continued support, i want to know the plan.
The rest is moot. 

I didn't know WoW was shipped off to a 3rd party that is known for keeping old MMOs in maintenance mode and only adding monetization schemes with only half the staff? I guess you learn something everyday.

Edited by sithBracer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, jedimasterjac said:

Ran out of those reaction thingies (again) ...

[/two thumbs up]

1 hour ago, OlBuzzard said:

I'm wondering: "Will there be an up side?"  (again I am looking not at MY opinion or MY actions ..but rather the actions of someone else (or a lack there of).  I really am at this point looking for some good solid ground ...  a SOLID review of what can be expected AND a genuine follow up to give credence to what we are hearing.

Admittedly it would be nice to get some more feedback on this. It's a fairly big change of the status quo. Bioware is the devil-we-know.

I mean, the deal hasn't been finalized and I'm confident the devs are being told by the uppity-ups, 'Don't say to much, it's not finalized yet.'

We're just gonna have to be a bit patient. Bioware knows there's a lot of concern going around, that's why they made the announcement and why there was a follow up post by Keith.

Ya know, I get that Broadsword has the reputation that it does and how things are over there, but given that it is a Star Wars title, that'd huge for a small company. They may see it as an opportunity to up their own standing and increase their revenue given the monstrous IP Star Wars is.

You can't compare those other games to SWTOR. Those other games don't have the words Star Wars in their names.

It doesn't feel like the end to me and the way I see it, it ain't over til the fat lady (or Baras) sings.

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

Admittedly it would be nice to get some more feedback on this. It's a fairly big change of the status quo. Bioware is the devil-we-know.

I mean, the deal hasn't been finalized and I'm confident the devs are being told by the uppity-ups, 'Don't say to much, it's not finalized yet.'

We're just gonna have to be a bit patient. Bioware knows there's a lot of concern going around, that's why they made the announcement and why there was a follow up post by Keith.

Ya know, I get that Broadsword has the reputation that it does and how things are over there, but given that it is a Star Wars title, that'd huge for a small company. They may see it as an opportunity to up their own standing and increase their revenue given the monstrous IP Star Wars is.

You can't compare those other games to SWTOR. Those other games don't have the words Star Wars in their names.

It doesn't feel like the end to me and the way I see it, it ain't over til the fat lady sings.

Sorry ... but I ran out of those "reaction" thingies earlier ..

[/two thumbs up]

You post is pretty much what I've saying today!  I've spoken ... said my peace.  I stand by what I've posted.  I have not been harsh nor unreasonable.  I am CERTAIN that the entire team of SWTOR has to wait until they are ABLE to say anything further about this entire affair.

So ... now it's time for us to be patient!  Cautiously optimistic perhaps...  The same routine that we've seen the last several months has eroded away my confidence.. BUT I WILL sit tight.  I owe them that much!  I will make up my own mind based on their actions (not the recommendations of someone else or the result of disgruntled venting of others because they have an axe to grind!)

BTW...  We are in agreement!

6 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

So ... now it's time for us to be patient!  Cautiously optimistic perhaps...  The same routine that we've seen the last several months has eroded away my confidence.. BUT I WILL sit tight.  I owe them that much!  I will make up my own mind based on their actions (not the recommendations of someone else or the result of disgruntled venting of others because they have an axe to grind!)

I think I'm rubbing off on you. :classic_wink:

👍👍

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

39 minutes ago, Floplag said:

What im asking is simple, release what the roadmap is, whatever it is, if you want me to continue supporting this game.

Whatever roadmap they have is contingent upon whatever is (or isn’t) happening with Broadsword. Their content plans after 7.4 are obviously dependent upon whether or not the development team is moving, however much Broadsword/EA intend to invest, etc etc. 

Any future roadmap is based upon whatever these business dealings are. So you’re not going to hear anything until it’s settled. It wouldn’t make sense to do it any other way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WayOfTheWarriorx said:

I think I'm rubbing off on you. :classic_wink:

👍👍

YIKES!!!

[/picks up cell phone ... dials]

One ring tone!!

Dr. Headstrong's office ...

...  yeah this is Buzz ...  I'm having those nightmares again ...

🤣

Edited by OlBuzzard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OlBuzzard said:

Sorry ... but I ran out of those "reaction" thingies earlier ..

[/two thumbs up]

You post is pretty much what I've saying today!  I've spoken ... said my peace.  I stand by what I've posted.  I have not been harsh nor unreasonable.  I am CERTAIN that the entire team of SWTOR has to wait until they are ABLE to say anything further about this entire affair.

From a legal standpoint, they cannot say anything, or it could cost them the deal.  I understand that much but it doesn't really mean I trust them, that something they must earn again.   We haven't cancelled our sub but we have been playing more on FFXIV but that is because we are having fun again. 

7 minutes ago, casirabit said:

From a legal standpoint, they cannot say anything, or it could cost them the deal.  I understand that much but it doesn't really mean I trust them, that something they must earn again.   We haven't cancelled our sub but we have been playing more on FFXIV but that is because we are having fun again. 

That's where I'm at right now with WoW... My son and granddaughter are there.  I'm already in their guild.  My I-rating is already at 417.  About the only thing(s) I don't do are the Mythics and Raids.  Open areas with major Elite Mobs are a blast!!  In short (as you have said) ... I'm having fun again.

That being said ..  if things work out and there is more than just a very small story (every now and again) .. AND with activities that are fun (again) .. then I'll keep playing SWTOR.  For now, it's a waiting game.