Your matchmaking is making me want to quit PVP.

IIHawkerII

15 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

I realize this is not the thoughtful BW of old. But, I donno. I think they are doing it on purpose. You don't think they know what's going to happen when they put GS goals like 25 warzones or 16 arenas or whatever?

I'm 100% sure there's not a computer scientist among them that could design and build a proper matchmaking system. They just don't have the skills. They are able to twittle config files and that's about it at this point. 

Doing it on purpose & lacking the skill to do it are 2 different things though. 
And BioWare have demonstrated repeatedly with their design philosophy since about 4.0. that they don’t understand cause & effect. 

I don’t think they are trying to be malicious with their ideas. I just don’t think they have the “corporate” critical thinking skills in the first place. So they do X & end up with Y because they don’t think past the first move.

But the problem is when things start to go sideways. BioWare go into ostrich mode & hope it goes away. It’s that attitude that’s caused so many players to leave over the years. Totally ignoring a problem only creates player resentment, which leads to anger & then leaving.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

You don't think they know what's going to happen when they put GS goals like 25 warzones or 16 arenas or whatever

In season one I hit lvl 25 without looking once at the seasons objectives, and also not really caring if I hit the goal or not. So did most of the pvpers I know. Only ppl who focused on it were the ppl that wanted the achievements. Ppl who log in solely for pvp can hit those weekly numbers with ease, and bioware knew that, they have the numbers. The more casual types who aren't as good and have issues winning are the ones they catered to by lowering the amount of matches played/won to hit the weekly goal. Those numbers track for me, not surprised they put them where they did initially. And they listened to feedback on an aspect of the season that would benefit everyone.

Edited by Samcuu
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Doing it on purpose & lacking the skill to do it are 2 different things though. 
And BioWare have demonstrated repeatedly with their design philosophy since about 4.0. that they don’t understand cause & effect. 

I don’t think they are trying to be malicious with their ideas. I just don’t think they have the “corporate” critical thinking skills in the first place. So they do X & end up with Y because they don’t think past the first move.

But the problem is when things start to go sideways. BioWare go into ostrich mode & hope it goes away. It’s that attitude that’s caused so many players to leave over the years. Totally ignoring a problem only creates player resentment, which leads to anger & then leaving.

Very true. I think they hate PvP and wish it would go away. 

23 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

I'm 100% sure there's not a computer scientist among them that could design and build a proper matchmaking system. They just don't have the skills. They are able to twittle config files and that's about it at this point. 

The only matchmaking they'd need to code is count the roles in the queue, divide them equally to both teams. 

The system they have now doesn't work. If someone gets better, they get punished and grouped up with worse players next time. It obliterates any incentive to learn and get better. 

16 minutes ago, DeannaVoyager said:

The only matchmaking they'd need to code is count the roles in the queue, divide them equally to both teams. 

The system they have now doesn't work. If someone gets better, they get punished and grouped up with worse players next time. It obliterates any incentive to learn and get better. 

I think it's more complicated that that. If it were me, it would be a data gathering and analysis exercise. I would go through the data, find the signal in the noise that allowed me to rate a player properly. Then, I would change the group finder to only pop an Arena when all 8 players had accepted. I would not allow it to pop any unbalanced games. I would judge balance along the lines of balanced ratings, balanced roles and balanced associations (pickups versus premades). I think it's a relatively complex endeavor to get it right. 

17 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

I think it's more complicated that that. If it were me, it would be a data gathering and analysis exercise. I would go through the data, find the signal in the noise that allowed me to rate a player properly. Then, I would change the group finder to only pop an Arena when all 8 players had accepted. I would not allow it to pop any unbalanced games. I would judge balance along the lines of balanced ratings, balanced roles and balanced associations (pickups versus premades). I think it's a relatively complex endeavor to get it right. 

Yeah, I understand what you mean. But the way it currently works is that when you get better rating, you will be matched with people with worse rating. That punishes people who are learning and getting better. Random matchmaking would be more fair system for everyone, and the only thing it needs to check is role. Premades breaking the little matchmaking we have is a different problem.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2023 at 7:24 PM, Samcuu said:

Easiest fix they could make is just limiting the premades back to 4. Allowing 8 was always eyebrow raising. I didn't believe it when they announced it cuz 4 man premades with the right comp/players were already strong.

This is the most frustrating thing about PVP atm for me.  The matchmaking is not good, and all it does is it makes the same groups with the same people.  But one team is pre-made group of 8 who know what they're doing and you're stuck on team with 5 random people (5, because 1 always leaves to not see the slaughter) who are there just to complete their weekly.

It just kills the whole concept random PVP match. You get one group that gets points and stuff for not much work, while the other group of random players leaves with little to nothing and no desire to do PVP ever again.  Reducing pre-made group to 4 players max will not fix matchmaking, but it would give a chance to players who are newer to PVP or are simply not interested in making group with Elite players.