Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Launcher infinitely selfrestarting

Henyk

I dont understand why you can't include auto compatability windows 8 (I'm on Windows 11 and somehow need it..) and direct x 9 and what ever else it needs in the download/install..

I got it going. But it still wont run sometimes..

Edited by LEEscoundral

• 4 weeks later...

Well, this wasn't a good idea for me either.

I upgraded my OS to Win 11, and since then, SWTOR is dead.

I installed it via Steam. I pressed play, and.... nothing. It appears in the task manager for 10 seconds ad then goes off. No loging screen, nothing.

I tried the directX stuff, I tried the .NET stuff and tried everything windows related.

I didn't try the json file trick for the simple fact that I don't have that.

I am a subscriber, but I guess I should not be one from now on, until I can't play this game properly...

14 hours ago, Qworr said:

Well, this wasn't a good idea for me either.

I upgraded my OS to Win 11, and since then, SWTOR is dead.

I installed it via Steam. I pressed play, and.... nothing. It appears in the task manager for 10 seconds ad then goes off. No loging screen, nothing.

Be sure to verify integrity of the game files on steam per https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/0C48-FCBD-DA71-93EB

also try just in case editing the client_setting file per https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Guide-Game-failing-to-launch-on-Clicking-Play/m-p/4809830/highlight/true#M70795

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2023 at 1:03 PM, JackieKo said:

Hi everyone, 

I'm consolidating info for all of you in this post. As of now, these are steps the team is suggesting players take to resolve this issue: 

1. If the launcher of in a loop, please wait a few minutes to see if the launcher updates and fixes itself. If it does not resolve on its own, go to step 2. 
  2. Download the SWTOR installer from here
    • Run it and click on Repair
    • It should look like this 
    • image.thumb.png.fffaac91179aab396b2e8be6a2089a82.png
    • If this step does not work, please proceed to step 3
  3. Go to your installation directory and delete the two files that end with metafile.json. That should trigger an update that will look for the most recent launcher release.
    • The path would look something like this C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic
  4. If none of the above steps fix the issue, players will need to uninstall and reinstall the game.

For players who are seeing a Host_WindowLoadTimeout error message, we recommend stopping the game on the task manager and restarting your machine. 

Please keep us updated on your status in this thread. 

Thank you

I've tried all four steps.  I'm at step number 4 and I can't even log into the game to start the download to reinstall the game. I've also tried to run as Admin and Windows 8 compatibility mode.  I've exited out of my antivirus program. Restarted my computer after each step and I still can't get this to work. I just restarted my sub too, hoping to enjoy a good gaming session today, but instead I've been trying to get the game to work.

I like this game and I'd hate to permanently cancel my sub. Please get this fixed. 

Screenshot 2023-11-24 001945.png

Update: I ran a virus scan and got this far: 

Screenshot 2023-11-24 005219.png

My OS is Windows 10. I waited 7 minutes to see if it would progress on its own (I actually timed it.) I'm going to try steps 1 through 3 again. 

Update: 

Going through steps 1-3. On step 2, this is what I run into after two or three times of going through the steps. I have scrolled down the task manager items to make sure there isn't a SWTOR process showing that it's running. When I end the process it shuts down the installer, which I need to either repair the launcher or remove the game. The only SWTOR thing showing in the tray is the installer. This is the point when I have to restart the computer and then continue with step 2.

Screenshot 2023-11-24 011515.png

1. Waited. Didn't work.
2. Followed this step. Ran into the issue of it saying another instance of SWTOR is running, when it isn't.  Tried to run it as an Admin and still ran into the same issue. Deleted the metafile.json files. Restarted my computer. Redownloaded the launcher from the link above. Entered my login information. Clicked 'Log In' and this:

Screenshot 2023-11-24 021605.png

The blue circle keeps spinning and doesn't stop. 

Moving to step 3.

3. Deleted the metafile.json files.  Closed the launcher from the tray. Opened the Star Wars: The Old Republic Maintenance and ran into the same error message:

"An instance of the SWTOR Launcher is currently running. Please exit the launcher before continuing with modification."

Closed that out. Clicked on the launcher that is downloaded when reinstalling the game and was able to move past the Rules of Conduct click to agree page. Now I'm waiting for the launcher to check for updates. Now I just need to hurry up and wait. I shouldn't have to wait too long, right? 😬

I did have to wait a little bit, so I exited out of the launcher and opened it again. Now, it's downloading the game.  Once the game is installed, only time will tell if it helped with the launcher issue. I will update as soon as I know.

Update:

I was able to get into the game and play after reinstalling.

However, I just tried to log into the game and I find myself having to go through the steps again.  An uninstall/reinstall of the game didn't work. At least, not for me. 

This time I flipped steps 2 and 3. I deleted the metafile.json first and then did the repair from this link: https://www.swtor.com/game/download (same as the link in the dev post) and that got me past being stuck on checking for updates. I can now click play. 

Next time I go in to play the game I will see if flipping steps 2 and 3 will work again.

It didn't work. 

What did seem to work for my set up is running my malware protection software, restarted computer, and did step 2. I tried it a couple of times. It worked.  Not saying it will work for everyone, but it might help someone. At least until this gets fixed.

Edited by LadyNightArrow
Update on trying to get the game reinstalled.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I've been having this issue since November. I've tried all the steps, uninstalled and re-installed twice. Tried launching from Steam but it continuously says that it can't log me in, and to check if I'm using the right Steam account. I have checked both of my SWTOR accounts, and neither are connected to my Steam account. Logging in with either credentials does nothing. I'm at a loss, I absolutely love this game, but it has become unplayable since whatever update caused this issue. 

On 1/23/2024 at 1:10 PM, MidnightRen said:

I've been having this issue since November. I've tried all the steps, uninstalled and re-installed twice. Tried launching from Steam but it continuously says that it can't log me in, and to check if I'm using the right Steam account. I have checked both of my SWTOR accounts, and neither are connected to my Steam account. Logging in with either credentials does nothing. I'm at a loss, I absolutely love this game, but it has become unplayable since whatever update caused this issue. 

When I have had issues, usually a restart helps. If not cleanup the registry with CCleancer.  CCleaner generated a list, some look like SWTOR  Appdate problems,  will take a closer look if keep getting this "updating problem"

But when it got stuck on updating .....   when u try to exit it will say updating do u what to quit updating ....  I  goto the desktop and load task manager and end the SWTOR task now,  instead of stopping the updating.    Stopping the updating , It would not load at all (so I did the repair with the download utility, does not help??) .

Launched SWTOR.

Then it did not even goto updating and went straight to PLAY.

A few times had to do this twice.  This seems to work for me.

If stuck on "Updating",  use Task Manager to end task the "SWTOR.exe".      Run the launcher again.  Rinse and repeat.  Seems to at least works after 2 times if need the extra try..

-----------------

Others have tried:

a DNS  Flush

https://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=19328

-------

DX- Files

The Microsoft DirectX® End-User Runtime installs a number of runtime libraries from the legacy DirectX SDK for some games that use D3DX9, D3DX10, D3DX11,  Also run setup-dx? in the folder holding those files.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

-----

Another possible solution that had been post was to make sure Net.Framework is upto date.     I think it  is done during normal windows updates.

-----

Also there are 2 folders that hold the SWTOR game and not everyone has the game on the   C - Drive.

C-Drive holds the UI, Keybindings and other setup  files, even if the game is installed on another Drive. 

Local Disk (C:) Users/PCname/AppData/Local/SWTOR/swtor/settings

//Local/SWTORPerf/

---------

SWTOR not Launching After Clicking Play

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-not-launching-after-clicking-play/

SWTOR 64-bit Guide

https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-64-bit-guide/

EA - Common 64-bit issues

https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/Common-64-bit-issues/td-p/12428759

---

My issues are from migrating from Windows 7 64 Bit Pro that was still running SWTOR despite now needing Windows 10 with a few issues, some things not initalizing and not closing properly. which required using task manager for a cleaner close.

When Migrating I copied everything to another SSD drive naming the folder GAMES.  But  left the AppData on the C:(local)  Drive.

Setup a new launcher icon on the desktop. So it has the right location.

Ran all the Windows 10 updates.   Forgot to approve the Defender Firewall  for the launcher and swtor  retailclient..

Just left with getting stuck on "Updating"  I think I have to allow private and public in the firewall like the other programs already there???.  Currently just public which is what it applied when added. 

??answer Public is safer

When you want to boost security, go ahead and change back to the Public option. Simply follow the instructions above and when you get to the last step, select Public instead of Private.

Edited by Sleeperzz

• 3 months later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.