Launcher infinitely selfrestarting

Henyk

It happens today morning first time : launcher infinitely crashing then selfrestarting while "checking for updates" every 1-2 sec. Any ideas?

About compatibility: I'm still run under Windows 7SP1 and never had sush issues before, what happened this night?

Heyho,

I have the same issue. Just noticed 10 minutes ago or something.

I play on Windows 11, never had an issue before too. Also I installed the Test-server 2 days ago. (or 3 days? not exactly sure on that point).

Once started I also can't get the launcher to stop with "searching for updates" closing, opening up again and searching for updates again. It's in a 1-2 second interval, as OP above described.

Allright! Fixed it!

Thanks @Halasfor the tip!

Everyone having this issue: Rightclick your launcher - Settings - compatibility

Set it to Windows 8. If it's greyed out, check the box and select Windows 8 manually. Even if it says, it runs on Windows 8. Mine was already set on that, but I just reselected it and now it's fine. Guess somewhere around the way my PC or the launcher got confused :D

Would do a screenshot, but mine is in German so it probably won't help that much^^ Hope my instructions are clear.

This just happened to me this morning.  I started the SWTOR launcher (not Steam version) and it opened then closed after just a second or two.  It repeated this several times before it finally stopped.

Core: Ver. 2.1.0, Lib: v1.0.0.0 is what the settings button on my launcher currently shows.

• Sad 1

• Dev Post

Hi folks, 

Thanks for the reports regarding the launcher. 

Due to a launcher update issue, a few players can encounter a looping issue: When opening the SWTOR launcher it opens and closed several times in a row. Players need to let the launcher go into the loop as it will fix by itself. 

Do not hesitate to answer to this thread if your issue is now fixed and if you still encounter the issue, we invite you to send the content of the following link: http://cdn-d6patch.swtor.com/swtor/launcher/alias.json to support@swtor.com.

• Be sure to use the following title: Looping issue with the SWTOR launcher, include your account name and use the email address associated with your account name

EDIT: removed CDN link troublshooting step

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Solution:

as yesterday some players including me on my ops team we all had this issue, i manage to fix it for everyone really easy.

- First, make sure launcher isnt open on task manager.

- Go to the swtor folder, delete "Launcher.settings"

- Go to the swtor>retailclient> and delete: "retailclient.swtor.metafile.json"

- Go back to the default swtor folder, right click on the launcher there (don't use your swtor shortcut from desktop) right click and run as admin,. It will fix. 

let me know if this helped. :) 

Edited by Venturax

AH! I figured it out!! In my SWTOR folder, I opened the "SWTOR_setup" file. Something came and it gave me the option to "Repair". I clicked on it, let it do it's thing and with that, the launcher works again! Thanks to all for the time and help on this 😁 Hope my advice helps! 

Edited by Warnark
  • Sad 1

34 minutes ago, ValaraukarU said:

This also happened to me this morning.  Clicking the launcher results in a long delay followed by an error message "Host_WindowLoadTimeout". 

I have tried compatibility, resetting json files, and repairing the game (downloaded the installer), uninstall and reinstall and so far nothing has worked.  

My launcher is still checking for updates for over an hour now, apparently it is not correcting itself. Last month after the update I could not get in for 2 days and I followed all the troubleshooting suggestions and nothing worked. They did a patch and then it was fixed. it dawned on me that it was not my computer which played the game with no problems, but it is the launcher that is not working. Please fix the launcher or create a new one.

I'm also experiencing the issue where the launcher popped up, said it was updating for a bit, then exited and won't launch again.

The icon appears in the task tray for a few seconds then disappears. 

I did see that there is an exception being generated by CEF in the event log, I suspect this is related:

Faulting application name: launcher.exe_Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher, version: 6.1.2.80, time stamp: 0x63d3414e
Faulting module name: libcef.dll, version: 103.0.11.0, time stamp: 0x62bf8a9a
Exception code: 0x80000003
Fault offset: 0x06691afe
Faulting process id: 0x830
Faulting application start time: 0x01d982924f256286
Faulting application path: D:\Games\Star Wars-The Old Republic\launcher.exe
Faulting module path: D:\Games\Star Wars-The Old Republic\libcef.dll
Report Id: fd4c8e98-a4d9-4564-b6f0-4af89af273aa
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

• Dev Post

Hi everyone,

The team is also suggesting the following fix for this issue:

• Download the SWTOR installer from here
  • Run it and click on Repair. It should look like this 

image.thumb.png.8967d06ba11355b2f7abde8dbb41fff7.png

This should update the launcher directly. After the process is complete, open the launcher as normal. Please let us know if you continue to experience this issue after following the above steps.

Thanks!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, HISPANION said:

It solved something at last! but the launcher dialog screen appears kinda cut, I don't have the buttons to press play https://imgur.com/a/GFEI85h

I am having a similar issue unfortunately, and cannot get rid of the Recent Updates overlay when I log in.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvtDUCLaEAARHYy?format=jpg&name=large
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FvtDUCQagAAsvBP?format=jpg&name=large