Tanks are the unsung heroes of warzones

Whykara

I feel that the importance of tanks for warzones isn't properly recognized. Parses don't really include tanks and many PvP class tier ratings on Youtube for example leave out tanks entirely. I also know of no streamer who plays a tank in their streams.

But tanks are those who do the objectives. Tanks defend turrets, tanks defend the doors on the Voidstar, tanks harrass the enemy on Hypergates, tanks are the ball carriers in Huttball. Having a tank in your team greatly increases your chance of winning any given match and a capable tank can sometimes carry a whole team of eight. Thanks to the new PvP statistics I can even see how my win rate on my tank specs is significantly higher than on damage specs. So thank you to all the tanks out there.

Edited by Whykara
  • Like 5

Yes but most tanks in warzones are worthless. Most tanks are playing a tank spec because they can’t put out any real numbers and just want to guard a node or run orbs. Sure, quality tanks can hard carry a WZ but most tanks in pvp are terrible because people who can’t be bothered to learn a rotation spec into tank so they can survive longer while node guarding. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AwesomeTacoCat said:

Yes but most tanks in warzones are worthless.

This. 99% of tanks I see in warzones are complete garbage. They either don't use guard , spam click a node, or are just otherwise useless. In those situations I'd rather have a dps player who might have less of an impact but actually contributes damage, than a tank who contributes nothing other than his health pool. 

On 4/24/2023 at 11:45 PM, Whykara said:

I also know of no streamer who plays a tank in their streams.

Tanks should not be in warzones. Warzones ARE EXACTLY like solo content and tanks (and lethality) are broken in all forms of solo content, tanks should be removed from warzones and arenas.

I played the most tank ranked games of s14. I can tell you that tanks are BONKERS strong. They do ruin games due to tanks having the by far highest impact on a winratio.

Its plain boring to play tanks for most streamers. I could start streaming tank games again but quite honestly is not very.... understandable, like to properly tank you have to know damage typing, kiting, awareness of dcds (of other people, not your own), keybinds, focus target modifier (95% don't even know what that is), matchmaking and even if someone knows all of it: once I enter the arena I know if its a win or not, I do not need to play the game, any mistake made by me isn't seen nor punished by the enemies bc they are simply bad.

This is why no streamer plays tanks

I'm still learning tanks, but I find playing them to be more difficult than DPS, especially in pvp where you need to know opponent's DCD as well as yours.  Also, you need to watch yourself, your opponents and your allies for guard swap / intercede.  The keybinds, I need to remap them so I can quickly swap to Target of Target, or focus a Focused Target.  I think most streamers dont play tanks is because : a) rotations are nothing fancy and b) stuff happens too fast for audience to see what's happening, e.g why did I guard swap to this guy and not the other one. 

3 hours ago, afwhoefuwov said:

I'm still learning tanks, but I find playing them to be more difficult than DPS, especially in pvp where you need to know opponent's DCD as well as yours.  Also, you need to watch yourself, your opponents and your allies for guard swap / intercede.  The keybinds, I need to remap them so I can quickly swap to Target of Target, or focus a Focused Target.  I think most streamers dont play tanks is because : a) rotations are nothing fancy and b) stuff happens too fast for audience to see what's happening, e.g why did I guard swap to this guy and not the other one. 

Tanking is the hardest role you can play in PvP, by far. None of the current PvP streamers tank, because they simply don't know how to tank well. There were already very few skilled tanks before 7.2, now there are basically none left.

Edited by septru

On 4/26/2023 at 6:48 AM, septru said:

Tanking is the hardest role you can play in PvP, by far. None of the current PvP streamers tank, because they simply don't know how to tank well. There were already very few skilled tanks before 7.2, now there are basically none left.

Yeah, it super difficult to stand on a node, interrupt and pop DCDs until your team gets back 🙄

1 hour ago, StrikePrice said:

Yeah, it super difficult to stand on a node, interrupt and pop DCDs until your team gets back 🙄

You have no clue how to play tank in pvp 🤷‍♂️ A good Tank who guards a Node is wasted potential...

1 hour ago, Tharianus said:

You have no clue how to play tank in pvp 🤷‍♂️ A good Tank who guards a Node is wasted potential...

No it's not. All you have to do is sit on a node and prevent the other team from capping to win.

3 hours ago, StrikePrice said:

oh dear god....

1 hour ago, Tharianus said:

generally.

10 minutes ago, StrikePrice said:

No it's not. All you have to do is sit on a node and prevent the other team from capping to win.

sadly true in the current state of WZs with game play that has degenerated to the point that I could just about out dps any 2-3 random players on my team with rapid shots on "cd" (I know there's no cd).

if you're a tank guarding a node, you're playing the game wrong. it's like hunting around the end zone for the enemy stealth that you know is camped there. these are all "strats" that only work against garbage players and teams, and the only reason they work at all is because many (most?) of the better players don't play anymore and/or don't play the objectives anymore.

gawd. what a joke. I wish I could just do 6x arena weeklies. every quesh and vandin turns into an arena with lopsided teams (e.g., 6v4). OPG is like hearding kittens. AHG you deal with the know it all fools trying to gather orbs at mid while their teammates fight 3v6 and get kill farmed (also not attacking nodes!).

CWs and NC are generally played well (for regs), I have to say. I guess straight node capping is simple enough for everyone to figure out. 😄

• Like 1

I don't see much reason of playing a tank in wz right now. Guard isn't strong enough to compensate the lack of 1 dps in your group and tank stats aren't relevant in pvp anyway. DPS are way too strong and the self-healing of hybrids is still overtuned.

As long as you can't even 1v1 a dps you have no place as a tank.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, krackcommando said:

oh dear god....

generally.

sadly true in the current state of WZs with game play that has degenerated to the point that I could just about out dps any 2-3 random players on my team with rapid shots on "cd" (I know there's no cd).

if you're a tank guarding a node, you're playing the game wrong. it's like hunting around the end zone for the enemy stealth that you know is camped there. these are all "strats" that only work against garbage players and teams, and the only reason they work at all is because many (most?) of the better players don't play anymore and/or don't play the objectives anymore.

gawd. what a joke. I wish I could just do 6x arena weeklies. every quesh and vandin turns into an arena with lopsided teams (e.g., 6v4). OPG is like hearding kittens. AHG you deal with the know it all fools trying to gather orbs at mid while their teammates fight 3v6 and get kill farmed (also not attacking nodes!).

CWs and NC are generally played well (for regs), I have to say. I guess straight node capping is simple enough for everyone to figure out. 😄

You forgot Voidstar where you usually either get kill farmed at first door or kill farm the other team at first door for 15 minutes. 

6 hours ago, AwesomeTacoCat said:

You forgot Voidstar where you usually either get kill farmed at first door or kill farm the other team at first door for 15 minutes. 

TBH, VS has always been like that. what's somewhat different is that, unlike HB where they'll actively delay the game by spiking the ball, the DM grps ignore doors entirely, and depending on which team starts first on offense, the match is over in less than 5 mins total. 😄

but then there's the other side of VS. the tryhard putz who spam caps the door when there's a huge fire fight ON THE DOOR. honestly, I want to physically hurt that person. much more than ppl kill farming and ignoring objectives. I cannot quite explain why I feel that way, but really. and I'm not talking about a stealth who sneaks to the door. I mean the jugg who just runs up and spam caps despite being interrupted 10x in a row.

I don't particularly care anymore. I've given up on WZs. I gave up when I left the game 3(?) years ago. (obv. I'm still angry about it - see my convo with prop in another thread) I only play WZs now b/c it's a kind of pvp, and I'd rather do that than FPs or OPs to get frags for augments.

Edited by krackcommando