Having to update every time I log in

Fenrirxero

Just now, Fenrirxero said:

....And you continue to derail.  Thanks.

People refuse to install Steam because it's a system on a system to run a game.  It's like adding an unnecessary middle man.  I personally add only the minimal software to my computers, and since there are no games I play that even need Steam. 

That being said, I might consider installing it just to keep this from happening, assuming my old computer can even handle the extra resources needed to run it.

Your perception of Steam is flawed. It takes no extra resources to run to even be taken into consideration.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Simdarion said:

It started today. Had to download 35 gig fist log in. when I was on the character screen it told me the game version doesn't match server version. Second log in it downloaded about 2 gig and I had the miss-matched sever warning again.  But I could log into my toon.

I am in NA on AT&T fiber and i have swtor cleared on my firewall list.

Today I had a 2gig download, but the miss-matched server warning didn't show up.

7 hours ago, Traceguy said:

If you haven't already, switch to Steam. It's 2023.

How, exactly, would Steam stop this bug from happening?

Does it allow you to bypass the normal SWTOR launcher?

Do Steam players not get this bug. They do, actually. They were the first ones to notice it: https://swtorista.com/articles/swtor-bug-your-current-game-version-does-not-match-the-servers-fix/

On 4/11/2023 at 8:14 AM, OwenBrooks said:

@Fenrirxero @KathiosLorano @AlainaFlute

I raised if support knew the cause of this , at this point they seem to think it is antivirus/firewall blocking the file 

If it was a firewall problem, we wouldn't be able to download the 35GB of game files it wants us to download every time.

Also, "It's a firewall problem" is just passing the buck. It's not a firewall problem.

For the record: Windows Defender. Haven't allowlisted any folders before, not about to start now.

I had the game installed on another system. After it prompted me to download the 35 GB AGAIN, I switched to that one. Didn't have to download.

Copied those files over to the computer that was having problems. Started the launcher and logged in, no downloading.

Once I was logged in, no message about the game version not matching.

So something in the local files got corrupted, and the game attempted to fix it by downloading the correct files. And did it wrong. And kept doing it wrong.

Short-term fix: uninstall and reinstall.

It doesn't seem that EA wants me to continue to subscribe to the game --  it wastes several hours a week downloading the SAME update for 7.2.1a again and again.  Then, after downloading, it will give an error about the server not being the same version, and quit.   I don't have a fast connection.   If I do get it running and it manages to just download for 10 minutes instead of 2 plus hours, it will eventually just freeze and lock the system altogether, forcing a hard reset to the system. 

And, although a number of people are reporting this, IT IS NOT in their "known bugs" list for 7.2.1a    ? Why? is it a problem because Directx9 is 25 years old?  Doesn't like the new client?  Whatever.  It is NOT ready for deployment.

Of course, I am subscribed just so I can pay to waste my time downloading the same files over and over and over and over . . . .  . .

24hrs ago, it was a 2Gb update. Right now, it's doing the full 35Gb update again.  While I don't get the server version mismatch error, it seems that the 32Gb update is happening every 2-3 days.

I live in New Zealand, run Win 11, and never had this issue prior to the 7.2.1a update.  I'm very thankful that I have an unlimited fibre connection and don't have to pay for usage.

I did a compare of the working and non-working directories. The differences are here: https://imgur.com/a/FuB1sOF

Several of them are binary files, so I have no idea what the differences are. One seems to be an encoded JSON file that I haven't bothered decoding to discover the differences. One is the eula.settings text file. I included a screenshot of the working version on the remote chance that that file was the problem.

The problem just append again

From France on Orange with windows 10 defender only.

Downloading 36g twice is really annoying

This problem started with 7.2.1 and never append before. I have not change anything on my computer

again 😞

Is there a temporary solution to revert before the 7.2.1 behavior.

Despite a1Gb fiber connexion, I need 20 min before starting to play 😞

P.S still patching :-( it seems during the second restart, there is 2 game downloads ! the game is unplayable in the current state for me

27/04/2022 / after a full resinstall on the 23rd the game seems no more patching.

Edited by Pzetitlu
still patching

Been trying to play with my son for the last few days, he's running on Windows 10 I'm on Windows 11 and this is making the game unplayable for us. Every time we try to play we get a full 36gb download. When we finally get in, the game is glitchy and lagging. If we try to get out and re-start the download begins again. It's a real bummer cause it's turning him off from playing, even thought we really enjoy venturing in the game together. 

2 hours ago, PELADAO said:

Been trying to play with my son for the last few days, he's running on Windows 10 I'm on Windows 11 and this is making the game unplayable for us. Every time we try to play we get a full 36gb download. When we finally get in, the game is glitchy and lagging. If we try to get out and re-start the download begins again. It's a real bummer cause it's turning him off from playing, even thought we really enjoy venturing in the game together. 

can you make a post on the Swtor Technical issues forum regarding this , so can follow up further with Live QA

post at https://answers.ea.com/t5/General-Discussion-Technical/bd-p/star-wars-the-old-republic-en

Will need to get the below log as well , needs to be when the issue occurs as it gets overwritten after each login 

Press the [Windows] Key + [R] at the same time 

Copy the following in to the text box and press ok 

%localappdata%\BioWare\Star Wars - The Old Republic Launcher 

The file is called host.developer.log

Edited by OwenBrooks

Florida, I use Frontier, and at least 4 times a week I have to  "update" my game.   I do get the "game version is wrong" message but I ignore it and click my character and play just fine, but it's ridiculously annoying.   I did not have this issue until I updated to windows 11.  

2 hours ago, Alkeria said:

I'm still getting little downloads at each launch 

Well they did just release a new patch.  We're on b now.  But I did just get a secondary 2gb patch today.  Let's hope that was an actual patch.

Edited by Fenrirxero

despite I applied already the 1.53 Gb patch this week, the game just applied it again this morning

Hopefully,  it was not necessary to restart the game for a second patching as lasts weeks

I wonder if something is not broken in the patching process of the game since 7.2.1

22 hours ago, Fenrirxero said:

Well they did just release a new patch.  We're on b now.  But I did just get a secondary 2gb patch today.  Let's hope that was an actual patch.

Yes, occasional redownloads since the release of the new patch 🤷‍♀️