Premade voice chat advantage

HeatRacer

What they think we do

"Ok, (player 1) grab west, while (player 2) hits east to distract them. The rest of us use knockbacks and stuns to tie up the enemy while (player 3) caps."
"(Enemy tank) just swapped guard focus, switch dps to (enemy 2)" 

What we really do:

(slurring) "Man, I am like so drnk/high right now~" 🥴

I'm sure there are some guilds/premades that use voice chat to deadly effect, but for my 8-man guild premade, the chat during matches is mostly just the kind of  mumbly random stuff that drnk/high people come up with. 🤣

• Haha 4

36 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I wonder how hard it would be for BioWare to add a built in community voice chat function now that they’ve moved it to 64bit? Other more modern games have this built in. So if you’re in a pug situation, you can still chat to those on your team. 

I would not use it. I can voice with friends but I'm not listening to some angry random yell at people or trollsh premades tell everyone they are better than them because they don't play to win.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, remylion said:

I would not use it. I can voice with friends but I'm not listening to some angry random yell at people or trollsh premades tell everyone they are better than them because they don't play to win.

I might use it sometimes, but not always. But the option would be good. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

I wonder how hard it would be for BioWare to add a built in community voice chat function now that they’ve moved it to 64bit? Other more modern games have this built in. So if you’re in a pug situation, you can still chat to those on your team. 

The amount of people screaming the n word would get it shut down in under an hour

• Like 1

3 hours ago, remylion said:

With an option to ignore people who insist on being negative I think it could be an excellent addition to the game.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Explain how other game companies are able to make this work then 🤷🏻‍♀️

Other games have moderation. They removed an entire game mode from this game because toxicity had gotten so bad that they couldnt moderate it.

6 hours ago, Prapcaster said:

Other games have moderation. They removed an entire game mode from this game because toxicity had gotten so bad that they couldnt moderate it.

Not all of them do. Do you think they sit there & listen to live comms all day? 

With the advent of ChatGP AI taking off, a chat feature is something BioWare could build into game & use AI to moderate it. Honestly, with some training, ChatGP could be used to moderate the whole game & replace a lot of CS’s roles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 4/7/2023 at 12:16 AM, TrixxieTriss said:

Explain how other game companies are able to make this work then 🤷🏻‍♀️

making it work is a stretch. Alot of people these days do not use this functionality and many of those games have console versions and such that need it. While on PC its easy for us to type and use third party to communicate. It would honestly be a massive waste of dev time. Hardcore players already use third party, casual players will just keep it off, and that small % of players that would want this would not be worth the effort pleasing. We already have target markers and text chat tbh thats all you really need to communicate. If we are comparing mmo's if we want to compare to other games like shooters well voice chat is more essential because many of them dont have good pings systems and those that do you will notice people dont use the in-game voice alot. Apex legends is a great example of a ping system and comms system that doesnt need a guy saying top left top left. But when I turn on Rainbow Six or Valorant its a different beast where a ping and a more detailed call is life or death in literally snap of a finger. SWTOR all players can be seen, tabbed on to, debuffs and buffs visible, they are on the map etc. I don't need to tell someone over and over again to stop tunneling the tank, or swap off a guarded target. Aside from moderation there is just no reason why it needs to be there and swtor is in a genre that generally doesnt use in-game voip. The closest games i can think of are more sandbox games where pvp is enabled but you need voip to tell someone to not shoot really fast. 

On 4/6/2023 at 1:47 PM, HeatRacer said:

What they think we do

"Ok, (player 1) grab west, while (player 2) hits east to distract them. The rest of us use knockbacks and stuns to tie up the enemy while (player 3) caps."
"(Enemy tank) just swapped guard focus, switch dps to (enemy 2)" 

What we really do:

(slurring) "Man, I am like so drnk/high right now~" 🥴

I'm sure there are some guilds/premades that use voice chat to deadly effect, but for my 8-man guild premade, the chat during matches is mostly just the kind of  mumbly random stuff that drnk/high people come up with. 🤣

It is both.  Mostly it is just talking about whatever, but if there is a threat, or if coordinating is required, then and there the conversation changes. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sappharan said:

It is both.  Mostly it is just talking about whatever, but if there is a threat, or if coordinating is required, then and there the conversation changes. 

Eh... If I'm queueing with someone in a warzone, we're usually not in the same part of the map, so we'll confirm counts on the enemy team, but the rest is kind of whatever. I might say "I'm going to go try for this side turret" out loud, but anyone on my team can figure that out by seeing me move on the exploded minimap. I'll call inc, but if no one's in comms, I can do the same with [enter]2e[enter] in about the same amount of time.

In my experience, the biggest advantage a warzone premade has isn't voice communication, it's reliability. In a premade, you have at least 2 people on the team who are on the same page and can trust each other to have the same goal and play accordingly. Sometimes you can encounter this in the solo pugs, when you recognize your teammates and have learned  what to expect from them, but more often I seem to solo-match with groups who do not pay attention to distribution, and either over or undercommit as a result.

• Like 2

I haven't played more than 5 WZs in the past week. arenas pop regularly, and there are far fewer kittens to herd (4 vs. 8 teammates, and easier to get on the same page when there's only one "objective").

if you're a solo player or just looking to do the seasons, flood arenas. the shear volume of solos would thin out any problems with premades regardless of the server. note that if you're on SF, the vast majority of matches are already devoid of grps, and when there are grps, they're mostly 2m.

or you can continue to fight upstream in WZs with ppl who don't know what they're doing or don't care.

one caveat: don't queue arenas if you don't mouse turn or if you click your abilities with the mouse. it's far more punishing for that sort of behavior. everything else can be improved with experience.

/2cents

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Crystal_Mind said:

In my experience, the biggest advantage a warzone premade has isn't voice communication, it's reliability. In a premade, you have at least 2 people on the team who are on the same page and can trust each other to have the same goal and play accordingly. Sometimes you can encounter this in the solo pugs, when you recognize your teammates and have learned  what to expect from them, but more often I seem to solo-match with groups who do not pay attention to distribution, and either over or undercommit as a result.

Agreed.