Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

New update not running on windows 10

NWRgamer

4 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

Can you please confirm that you added the app to the program that comes with Windows 10 and you're still not able to play/log in? 

I thought I didn't even run Windows Defender Firewall and much to my surprise it was turned on.  I turned it off completely, went through a reboot (just in case), double checked the firewall settings and made sure it was still off, tried to launch and still no go.  I don't think it's the firewall.

I have checked Malwarebytes, my AV. This does not seem to be blocking the  game, because it would say so with a popup if it did, and there would be a record of it in the Notifications. But I added the launcher.exe anyways as a test. This changes nothing, sadly. Same problem still.

To keep it all in one post:

• no compatility modes were ever used. I even tried selecting Windows 8 as a test. No change.
  • Launcher.exe was always run in Administrator mode
  • Restarting the PC after various experiments did not help.
  • Adding the Direct X9 files did not help.
  • non-Steam version, Windows 10
  • Game has been working fine for months, with only intermittent crashes/DCs
  • Nothing happens after the audio cue and clicking "play". I can even unclick play.
  • Like 1

Just now, Syrlex said:

I have checked Malwarebytes, my AV. This does not seem to be blocking the  game, because it would say so with a popup if it did, and there would be a record of it in the Notifications. But I added the launcher.exe anyways as a test. This changes nothing, sadly. Same problem still.

To keep it all in one post:

• no compatility modes were ever used. I even tried selecting Windows 8 as a test. No change.
  • Launcher.exe was always run in Administrator mode
  • Restarting the PC after various experiments did not help.
  • Adding the Direct X9 files did not help.
  • non-Steam version, Windows 10
  • Game has been working fine for months, with only intermittent crashes/DCs
  • Nothing happens after the audio cue and clicking "play". I can even unclick play.

exactly the same thing for me

Also having the same issue.

I have Norton antivirus on my PC. I don't know how to changed the setting on this, however others seem to say they have cheacked this with no posative resuilt.

If it makes a difference, I too am using windows 10.

I can confirm that DirectX 9 is installed (when I tried it say I already have the latest version)

I can confirm that--

“run this program in compatibility mode” is unchecked 

Edited by SavantDreadtech

back when they had people testing the game on the test server the last 2 times and offered them a opal vuptilla i tried to get on the test server and I couldn't no matter what i did and missed out on getting one because of it.  As for the following: 

• Adding the app to your Antivirus/firewall allowlist did not work
  • Updating DX9 did not work. (Note that if you had it installed before but it now no longer working, you will need to update it)
  • Unchecking compatibility did not work

I had all swtor files added to the Antivirus/ firewall allow list, no change

I already had updated DX9 and it did not work

I checked and unchecked compatibility and doing it, either way, did not work

I ran the game as an admin

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game a total of 5 times. nothing

I have PLENTY of space on my hard drive and more than enough memory to run the game. 

I also have problems getting into the game and I am on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit with DX12. I can start the launcher and log in with my password, then I can press the PLAY button. The game starts, gives me the login wallpaper and then I get the server selection window which is empty. No servers available and the game gives me the error that the list of servers cannot be retrieved. I do not have any AV software apart from Windows Defender. Windows has all the current updates and the game worked just fine yesterday,

So, I have no idea why the server list is empty. Any ideas?

EDIT: SWTOR was already allowed to pass through the firewall of the Windows Defender, but I disabled the firewall entirely and I still get the empty server list even without any firewall enabled.

Edited by Szob

1 minute ago, JackieKo said:

For those who are unable to play/log despite checking the AV/firewall, compatibility mode, and updated DX9, can you confirm if you are seeing the Bug Splat window AFTER clicking Play? Or if it doesn't show up at all? 

Absolutely nothing happens, and nothing changes for me after selecting "play" on the launcher.

Just now, JackieKo said:

For those who are unable to play/log despite checking the AV/firewall, compatibility mode, and updated DX9, can you confirm if you are seeing the Bug Splat window AFTER clicking Play? Or if it doesn't show up at all? 

Is it truly necessary to install/load DX9 if one is running a newer version?  (DX12 in my case)  Some other posts I've seen have indicated that doing this didn't help them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Cyrve said:

Launcher and Game work perfectly AFTER:

1. Add full net address to AVG Anti-virus as exception

2. Add Full Folder Path to AVG anti-virus as exception

Gunboat Morghulis

The Eternal Order

I don't know how to do that with Norton security. Don't even know how to open it for that purpose. When I do open it gives me the choice of Scan, VPN, Back-up. Tells me if any device is out of date, but changing or adding to antivirus or eceptions is not an option. Not to mention how to find full net address or add full folder to Norton anti virus exception.

Oh wait ... I fixed it!!!! (I think) CONFIRMED!

Details pending

The DX9 instructions are really not very thorough. After you unpack the files to the folder you select, you need to run the SETUP.exe file to activate it all. This is just so non-intuitive though. But I was able to login!

Edited by Syrlex

1 minute ago, Syrlex said:

Absolutely nothing happens, and nothing changes for me after selecting "play" on the launcher.

I get the same thing.  Nothing happens at all.  It acts as if it's going to launch and just doesn't do anything at all.  No error messages, nothing.

2 minutes ago, JackieKo said:

When I press play all that happens is the play button fades slightly. It go's back to bright by click anywhere else on launcher (however nothing if pressing the play button it'self)

• Like 1

I go to login into the game starting it as an admin, it has its little golden update loading ribbon and makes the noise it makes when the game is ready to play, I click on play, the screen shadows out and freezes for a second and then closes as if it crashes. I have done everything that has been said and no change, the game is unplayable no matter what I do. 

7 minutes ago, Syrlex said:

Details pending

The DX9 instructions are really not very thorough. After you unpack the files to the folder you select, you need to run the SETUP.exe file to activate it all. This is just so non-intuitive though. But I was able to login!

I've already done this.  It still did not help me.  Did you extract it to and run it from your Desktop?

I am honestly upset now. I put some efforts to upgrade my gaming PC to Windows 10 back in October 2022 since the game stopped working on Windows 7.  A mere 5 months later,  I am on the newest release of Windows 10 Pro x64 and the game does not work again. I do not want to spend 2 hours again reinstalling the game to learn it does not work either after the reinstall.

And what now?

14 minutes ago, Syrlex said:

Details pending

My PC won't let me download as says I already have latest version, so......

Not going to remove version I have as I use it for other things and won't rick losing access to them. I know going in the not all of us would be able to continue to play this with new software. Sure a lot will get it working after some workarounds but chances are not all of us. 

4 minutes ago, Fenrirxero said:

I've already done this.  It still did not help me.  Did you extract it to and run it from your Desktop?

11 minutes ago, Fenrirxero said:

I get the same thing.  Nothing happens at all.  It acts as if it's going to launch and just doesn't do anything at all.  No error messages, nothing.

I extracted the files to a new folder I called ...\SWTOR\Direct X 9 (because I only use it or this game) and within that folder, there is a file called SETUP.exe which you then need to run. I do not know why Microsfot decided not to make it run automatically.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.