Starting out "fresh" in PvP with a brand new level 80

Syrlex

I do not really want this thread to devolve into even more complaining about the system, I simply want to know what the correct way to gear in PvP is. I spent the previous weekend doing a lot of Warzones & Arenas, looking at gear and OMG what a mess. So many people use blue moddable 336 or R4 Anomaly 340 gear from PvE. This cannot be right. Some use 332 PvE gear and some use 332 PvP gear. There is no way to get the right answer simply by inspecting people in warzones and arenas. So basically, a tonne of people in PvP are (technically) gearing incorrectly.

So what is the right way to gear in PvP, from scratch with a fresh level 80?

1. Hyde & Zeek for blue and purple moddable ilvl 336 pieces?
  2. Tyrsian blue 326 pieces from the pvp vendor, then upgade those slowly over time to 328, 330, and finally 332 purples with WZ-1 comms?
  3. Hyde & Zeek for blue and purple moddable ilvl 332 pieces?
  4. Something else? (explain it to me like I am 5 years old, please)

I believe PvP bolster might not be working as intended in 7.2. Will it be fixed? Will the answers to the questions above change?

Edited by Syrlex
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Syrlex said:

I do not really want this thread to devolve into even more complaining about the system, I simply want to know what the correct way to gear in PvP is. I spent the previous weekend doing a lot of Warzones & Arenas, looking at gear and OMG what a mess. So many people use blue moddable 336 or R4 Anomaly 340 gear from PvE. This cannot be right. Some use 332 PvE gear and some use 332 PvP gear. There is no way to get the right answer simply by inspecting people in warzones and arenas. So basically, a tonne of people in PvP are (technically) gearing incorrectly.

So what is the right way to gear in PvP, from scratch with a fresh level 80?

1. Hyde & Zeek for blue and purple moddable ilvl 336 pieces?
  2. Tyrsian blue 326 pieces from the pvp vendor, then upgade those slowly over time to 328, 330, and finally 332 purples with WZ-1 comms?
  3. Hyde & Zeek for blue and purple moddable ilvl 332 pieces?
  4. Something else? (explain it to me like I am 5 years old, please)

I believe PvP bolster might not be working as intended in 7.2. Will it be fixed? Will the answers to the questions above change?

For the longest time I could not be bothered trying to gear because I grew tired of  learning new systems every expansion.  Then I had it explained to me as though I were 5 years old...and I subsequently forgot because I have the memory of a 5 year old and the object permanence of a 2 year old. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I PVP in both Hyde & Zeek blue and purple moddable lvl 336 pieces (the first set I get for any alt that reaches 80) and Thyrsian 332 PVP gear. Both work. In my personal opinion, Thyrsian works slightly better, but either will make you competitive. There are people pvp-ing in ops gear (340) and I assume it works equally well (possibly better), but since I don't participate in NIM ops, can't speak for it. I highly recommend Hyde & Zeek since you need to unlock one blue and one purple 336 each only once - after that, the character who unlocked it will be able to mail mods to all of your alts (make sure to select "View All" in drop-down). It also helps to have 330 "helper" set in your legacy bank (can also be created with Hyde and Zeek mods - stats don't matter as long as it's 330) in order to speed up Thyrsian gearing up by controlling what you get from the PVP weekly rewards box - as long as every piece of gear you are wearing is 332+, you can replace the piece you want with 330 gear from your "helper" set, and the box will drop that exact piece at lvl 332 (may want to grind relics or anything else that has more than one option via regular way, so not to leave it to chance).

One of the reasons some stick to one set of gear is augments - if someone grinded 340 gear and augmented it with gold ones, they'd likely use it for everything (even purple augments may be hard to get for some). In my example above, both sets were augmented (I have my own crafters for every profession, so that makes it a bit easier).

• Like 1

I’ve heard lots of differing opinions on this and don’t have a definite answer. However, I am quite confident that 332 vs 336 vs 340 gear in pvp is a minuscule difference compared to skill gaps. In other words, do any of the three it won’t make a big difference. 

14 hours ago, AwesomeTacoCat said:

I’ve heard lots of differing opinions on this and don’t have a definite answer. However, I am quite confident that 332 vs 336 vs 340 gear in pvp is a minuscule difference compared to skill gaps. In other words, do any of the three it won’t make a big difference. 

Aren’t stats capped at 332 still? Anything over & they start to lose stats like a reverse bolster?