Why do we report bugs when they don't get fixed?

Bar-Da-Voya

Browsing through the lists of known bugs and the other reported ones that never make it onto a known list and there are so many bugs that have been present for years and devs don't bother to fix them. So why do we even report them? The devs don't care unless it's CM related or game breaking. If the bug has a workaround or it doesn't affect game play it gets permanently ignored. Achievements especially. They do the work to put them in the game then it gets bugged and its never touched again (Jedi Knight Tactical Item achievement & Swoop Rally Perfectionist achievement to name but a couple).

Kai Zykken vendor has been bugged since he arrived. Reclaimed Treasure is still bugged at times. Manaan cargo bug. PvP guild challenges have been bugged for a while - no comment from devs. Deconstructing items from materials inventory bugged forever. Ruhnuk Scrabbler bug.

And this is just a couple of pages into the bug reports. They put some bugs on the "Known List" and then eventually a new Known list is started and the previously Known bugs aren't fixed or brought forward. As for all the reported bugs that don't make it onto the Known List - ignored forever and ever.

• Like 4

I'd love to say something like, "Well if it's a Cartel Market item, it would be fixed fast!" but I can't even say that now.  I bought the Battleworn Engineer gear and dying the armor has been broken for years.

Lokin was busted for over three years on my Agent, when he was in Tank role, he wouldn't keep any of the player buffs on him at all.  I would literally bump my bug report post yearly because it was such an issue for my healing Agent doing quests/dailies/FPs.  You could tell how much it would affect a companion as well, not only because of the HP drop, but he would really take a beating to the point I couldn't keep him healed.

The only way that was fixed was re-designing the buff system so you didn't have to re-apply them - they are now static.

The engineer gear still isn't fixed and after reporting it via the in-game reporting system, I made a post in the bug reports so I can go back every year and bump that one too for the next (X) years.

Aside from the other repeating bugs, the years-long bugs, etc., I have to agree that it's a futile attempt to get anything reportable to get fixed.  Unless it costs them money (other than subs - we all know CM micro-transactions are a bigger income source), it feels moot.

Edited by Amodin
spelling
  • Like 1

If this is like other MMOs they probably add bugs to the list, prioritize them, then eventually fix/test them weeks/months later then put them in the next build.

Unless it is a bug that will directly harm the cash shop or break the game, I rarely see MMOs execute immediate fixes.

Edited by remylion

1 hour ago, remylion said:

If this is like other MMOs they probably add bugs to the list, prioritize them, then eventually fix/test them weeks/months later then put them in the next build.

Unless it is a bug that will directly harm the cash shop or break the game, I rarely see MMOs execute immediate fixes.

LoL. There are bugs in this game that haven’t been fixed for 10 years. Sure some from that era probably can’t be fixed because the people who wrote that bit of code have left. But the Shaggy hair bug the other poster referred to has been in the game for many, many years.

There are are stupid bugs that we’ve reported that never get fixed. It doesn’t matter how long you give BioWare, they just don’t fix the majority of bugs. Even game breaking bugs aren’t addressed fast enough unless enough people complain a lot on the forums.

I came back to the game after 12 months & they still hadn’t fixed the bug that had stopped me progressing. It wasn’t until I caused a big ruckus here & on social media did they finally fix it. But not until after I had to get CS to skip me forward in that part of the story.

I think we have every right to question why we bother reporting non game breaking bugs because I agree with the OP, most of the time BioWare just ignore them.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

7 hours ago, FlameYOL said:

Probably because they don't have a lot of extra hands to spare. So the bug fixing ends up not being done as its not a priority. 

Even when they had lots of people working for them they rarely fixed bugs. I would actually say that they've more to fix bugs in the past 2 years than they have in the previous 8. Which is still quite low, I just encountered a story bug playing through Inquisitor on Korriban that I remember seeing like five years ago lol.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ardrossan said:

Even when they had lots of people working for them they rarely fixed bugs. I would actually say that they've more to fix bugs in the past 2 years than they have in the previous 8. Which is still quite low, I just encountered a story bug playing through Inquisitor on Korriban that I remember seeing like five years ago lol.  

I wouldn't say they rarely fixed bugs, but for every bug they fix two more appear. Its like a hydra.

Many of the long standing bugs in this game is due the game engine not being a standard engine, like say the Unreal engine is.

If memory recalls, one dev way back said that the game is basically spaghetti code, since so many devs have left over the years, and no one new seems to know how to fix the bugs without the end result being cataclysmic. 

So BioWare really shot themselves in the foot with the heavily modified Hero engine they went with, which is certainly not helping the game at all...

• Like 1

Mabye we should report here bug again and again each time we have an update (not so often lol) without considering it should have been resolved in the previous update.

I think I won't create bug ticket again but will report here instead. If we are lucky others players will see the thread and confirm they have the same bug too. This is the way ;)

11 hours ago, Kazuone said:

Mabye we should report here bug again and again each time we have an update (not so often lol) without considering it should have been resolved in the previous update.

I think I won't create bug ticket again but will report here instead. If we are lucky others players will see the thread and confirm they have the same bug too. This is the way ;)

Repeating bug reports will only raise the ire of BW who will admonish you for re-posting the Ignored bug. They will repeat that it is "in the known bug list" then ignore it as they always do.

Re-posting will only get your post "Removed" and YOU in trouble and will have NO effect on BW nor will it get them to pull their collective heads out of their Rectal Orifices.