Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Please Help A Confused Returning Player

Death-Hammer

2 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Anyone know how long this takes if you only pvp?

Does saving pvp crate drops from lvl 75-79 to open at lvl 80 help in anyway?

If ur only pvping its extremely easy to get full 332 gear (which is all you need for pvp cuz stats get capped at 332) 

Buy the base 324 gear and then open a pvp crate. That will automatically upgrade u to a purple 326 gear piece. Then grind the gsf and wz dailies. Get ur WZ comms. Only upgrade two pieces of gear to 332. Preferably not a relic or ear piece you need to keep those. Do gloves boots ect. Once you've got the two pieces of gear to 332 then u pick up the Hyde and zeek missions and you just fill legacy gear shells full of 332 from the vendor once you've disassembled your 332 boots and gloves to finish the mission. 

Then to finish off ur gear, u can cheese relics/earpiece drops by wearing all 332 gear except for the relics/earpiece and it will drop an auto upgrade for those items when u open crates. 

2 hours ago, TziganeNZ said:

Thank you so much - this is very helpful for a strictly solo story player. I have been away for a year (came back as preferred a couple of weeks ago, but had to sub for a month to get a mission progression problem fixed - will be back to preferred when the month runs out), and it's so utterly confusing. I don't group, I don't do PvP of any sort (warzones, GSF, whatever else), obviously don't do Ops or Uprisings or Vet/MM flashpoints (no grouping at all) - there's precious little direction out there for someone who plays the way I do. 

I understand that as a story ONLY player, I'm stuck with the crappiest green gear, but it's been difficult to find out how to improve my gear as much as I can within my limitations (no augments either - don't understand how those work, how to get them or attach them to gear).

One question - I've done the legendary implant quest on one character, but none of the items offered by the droid have accuracy. Am I missing something, or is there another vendor (SO MANY VENDORS) that will sell legendary implants with accuracy?

What I've been doing, to plan stats around the legendary implants, is unlock the vendor to see what the stats are for the implants I'm going to use - and then buy the implants from the conquest vendor for those same stats.  With Arsenal, the class I use the most, both are alacrity.

2x alacrity implant

1x accuracy earpiece

4x accuracy enhancements from the 336 vendor (not that it matters, but I'll put them on MH/OH/Helmet/chest)

2x alacrity enhancements

1x crit enhancment.

That will get me to about 110.5% accuracy / 7.65 alacrity / and a terribly low amount of crit that I make up with augments.

I can't say this is the BEST combination for Merc - Arsenal toons, but it works for me and when I occasionally do group stuff, I seem to do ok.

Edited by Darev
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Darev said:

What I've been doing, to plan stats around the legendary implants, is unlock the vendor to see what the stats are for the implants I'm going to use - and then buy the implants from the conquest vendor for those same stats.  With Arsenal, the class I use the most, both are alacrity.

2x alacrity implant

1x accuracy earpiece

4x accuracy enhancements from the 336 vendor (not that it matters, but I'll put them on MH/OH/Helmet/chest)

2x alacrity enhancements

1x crit enhancment.

That will get me to about 110.5% accuracy / 7.65 alacrity / and a terribly low amount of crit that I make up with augments.

I can't say this is the BEST combination for Merc - Arsenal toons, but it works for me and when I occasionally do group stuff, I seem to do ok.

Thank you - you've been very helpful, it's appreciated.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Samcuu said:

If ur only pvping its extremely easy to get full 332 gear (which is all you need for pvp cuz stats get capped at 332) 

Buy the base 324 gear and then open a pvp crate. That will automatically upgrade u to a purple 326 gear piece. Then grind the gsf and wz dailies. Get ur WZ comms. Only upgrade two pieces of gear to 332. Preferably not a relic or ear piece you need to keep those. Do gloves boots ect. Once you've got the two pieces of gear to 332 then u pick up the Hyde and zeek missions and you just fill legacy gear shells full of 332 from the vendor once you've disassembled your 332 boots and gloves to finish the mission. 

Then to finish off ur gear, u can cheese relics/earpiece drops by wearing all 332 gear except for the relics/earpiece and it will drop an auto upgrade for those items when u open crates. 

Just to confirm, it is worth keeping those pvp crates you get between 75-79 & open them when your lvl 80?

Edited by TrixxieTriss

3 hours ago, TrixxieTriss said:

Just to confirm, it is worth keeping those pvp crates you get between 75-79 & open them when your lvl 80?

No I think the boxes you get pre level 80 drop 306 gear iirc. Been a while since I opened one tho so I could be wrong. 

23 hours ago, TziganeNZ said:

I understand that as a story ONLY player, I'm stuck with the crappiest green gear, but it's been difficult to find out how to improve my gear as much as I can within my limitations (no augments either - don't understand how those work, how to get them or attach them to gear).

One question - I've done the legendary implant quest on one character, but none of the items offered by the droid have accuracy. Am I missing something, or is there another vendor (SO MANY VENDORS) that will sell legendary implants with accuracy?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'story only' player, but if you do some MM flashpoints, you can get better 'blue' gear.

Augments are relatively simple. You can either craft the 'Augmentation Kits' or purchase them from the GTN**. Then right-click on a piece of gear and add an augment slot to the piece. Once you have the slots you can put augments into them. Because of the expense involved, I'd recommend at this time, that you only use MK-11 slots with Mk-11 compatible augments (276/286). 

SWTOR Augments Guide (swtorista.com)

As far as I know, there are no Legendary Implants with Accuracy. Personally, most of my character's Accuracy comes from Augments. 

** Don't be confused by Augment Slot Components which are used to craft Augment Slot Kits.

Edited by JediQuaker
typos
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

I'm not sure what you mean by 'story only' player, but if you do some MM flashpoints, you can get better 'blue' gear.

Augments are relatively simple. You can either craft the 'augment slot kits' or purchase them from the GTN**. Then right-click on a piece of gear and add an augment slot to the piece. Once you have the slots you can put augments into them. Because of the expense involved, I'd recommend at this time, that you only use MK-11 slots with Mk-11 compatible augments (276/286). 

SWTOR Augments Guide (swtorista.com)

As far as I know, there are no Legendary Implants with Accuracy. Personally, most of my character's Accuracy comes from Augments. 

** Don't be confused by Augment Slot Components which are used to craft Augment Slot Kits.

Thank you for your most comprehensive guide to augments. I will look into this later.

I do not do flashpoints other than Story Mode - I do not do Master Mode or Veteran or whatever else is out there.  I am indeed 'story only' as I am solo only (and I believe you need a group for MM, is this correct?).

I just want to say again how grateful I am to everyone for all the helpful posts for a confused returning player like me. I also find it so sad that the gearing system is so convoluted and confusing that people are having to hold my hand and walk me through it like this. Anyway, thanks again everyone

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TziganeNZ said:

Thank you for your most comprehensive guide to augments. I will look into this later.

I do not do flashpoints other than Story Mode - I do not do Master Mode or Veteran or whatever else is out there.  I am indeed 'story only' as I am solo only (and I believe you need a group for MM, is this correct?).

The other option is pvp. While the gear isn’t as high as pve gear, it’s still higher than the green conquest stuff you get. 

38 minutes ago, TrixxieTriss said:

The other option is pvp. While the gear isn’t as high as pve gear, it’s still higher than the green conquest stuff you get. 

Thank you for your reply - as I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I do not PvP in any way (I will not even duel another player).

55 minutes ago, Death-Hammer said:

Help again please.  I've been running flashpoints with my level 80 but all the gear drops are always the exact same thing I'm wearing. Is the only access point for better gear the vendors? That will take years!

have you been upgrading them?

also you can break them down for upgrade Material/Currency

I would say yes, but not always

2 minutes ago, Death-Hammer said:

Do the bosses in fp not drop better gear than you wear?

I think it would be faster to just upgrade on fleet, then to wait for the right drops.

You can buy Blue FP gear, you know that right ?

only once have I gotten a purple piece, and that was from a Operation, though several from PvP.  Until I got mods and stuff from Hyde and Zeek never saw  a blue drop from a FP. some I save for alts, but most  are just dismantled 

Just now, Achnaattwo said:

I would say yes, but not always

I think it would be faster to just upgrade on fleet, then to wait for the right drops.

You can buy Blue FP gear, you know that right ?

only once have I gotten a purple piece, and that was from a Operation, though several from PvP.  Until I got mods and stuff from Hyde and Zeek never saw  a blue drop from a FP. some I save for alts, but most  are just dismantled 

Where do you get purple 336 from?

1 minute ago, Death-Hammer said:

as  a Drop? I haven't, not a 336

you can buy purple OP's gear, I think it's call rakata, something like that, and upgrade to 336

Do you know where I'm talking about on fleet ?

12 minutes ago, Achnaattwo said:

as  a Drop? I haven't, not a 336

you can buy purple OP's gear, I think it's call rakata, something like that, and upgrade to 336

Do you know where I'm talking about on fleet ?

Yes, thank you. I just haven't run op's since I've been back and didn't know if that is the only way to get purple gear for hyde and zeke to break down.

All those cool sets with interesting set bonus..gone.

Are there no sets to be found now,  outside of Opsing??

In terms of evolution, gearing feels like it has regressed  from  expansion number 6 to closed beta of vanilla game, where devs haven't yet figured out how to do gearing in the game. So instead of real gear, they offer testers these generic placeholder items for testing what stat increases do. That's what gear feels  like now.

From cool, sophisticated helping of numerous sets with sometimes interesting bonus to bare bones boring junk that is ridiculously convoluted to get. Like dozen different currencies for gearing???What is this????

In all srsness, why are  there so many different currencies for gear?  Like could somebody more familiar with current expansion explain the point and reason behind this please.

Seems to me like you can change between the different currencies  quite freely. If they want to make Opsing more rewarding than anything else, then why not simply have one currency, and operations giving more of it than rest of the content?? If they want Ops exclusive gear, why not have tradeable armor tokens dropping from Ops bosses, that you then trade for gear? Like it used to be. Surely that is better than this insane juggling of so many different currencies.

0 reason why GSF, Conquest, Warzones, Straightforward Casual solo content and story mode Ops should offer different currencies!! Adjust amount each type of content gives if you must, but why lock this behind different tokens wth

You farm currency Y and currency Z. Then you turn some of the Z into Y, since you needed bit more Y to get your rivetign green shoes. . Oops,the shoes  also need blue material X and you don't have any of those. Few days later you come back, and after fiddling with Y, Z and transferring Z to Y  and burning material X, you can trade away your current boring greed do-nothing boots to similar ones, that are 2 ilvl higher. Lol

Last expansion got this right..why change everything this is madness

Edited by Stradlin
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Stradlin said:

All those cool sets with interesting set bonus..gone.

Are there no sets to be found now,  outside of Opsing??

In terms of evolution, gearing feels like it has regressed  from  expansion number 6 to closed beta of vanilla game, where devs haven't yet figured out how to do gearing in the game. So instead of real gear, they offer testers these generic placeholder items for testing what stat increases do. That's what gear feels  like now.

From cool, sophisticated helping of numerous sets with sometimes interesting bonus to bare bones boring junk that is ridiculously convoluted to get. Like dozen different currencies for gearing???What is this????

In all srsness, why are  there so many different currencies for gear?  Like could somebody more familiar with current expansion explain the point and reason behind this please.

Seems to me like you can change between the different currencies  quite freely. If they want to make Opsing more rewarding than anything else, then why not simply have one currency, and operations giving more of it than rest of the content?? If they want Ops exclusive gear, why not have tradeable armor tokens dropping from Ops bosses, that you then trade for gear? Like it used to be. Surely that is better than this insane juggling of so many different currencies.

0 reason why GSF, Conquest, Warzones, Straightforward Casual solo content and story mode Ops should offer different currencies!! Adjust amount each type of content gives if you must, but why lock this behind different tokens wth

You farm currency Y and currency Z. Then you turn some of the Z into Y, since you needed bit more Y to get your rivetign green shoes. . Oops,the shoes  also need blue material X and you don't have any of those. Few days later you come back, and after fiddling with Y, Z and transferring Z to Y  and burning material X, you can trade away your current boring greed do-nothing boots to similar ones, that are 2 ilvl higher. Lol

Last expansion got this right..why change everything this is madness

Bonus set was moved to Legendary implants. Have you done the quest? It is available after lvl 80. The NPC is in the middle of the same room with all the gear/upgrades vendor.

And i agree about gearing. For me it was good when i started in 4.X. It was similar to now, currency based but there was like only 3 currencies, being tiered and harder the content the better the currency. Dailies was lower currency but completing the weekly provided tiny amount of next level. And lower tier started from lvl 1 even on story content, so you got a basic understanding of the system without requiring to go read several guides from 3rd part sites.

But BW feels the need of always change how things works 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Balameb
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stradlin said:

In all srsness, why are  there so many different currencies for gear? 

This! You need 500 of 5 different currencies for every single piece of gear it seems. I find everything about this process of gearing confusing and frustrating. I still don't even know or understand how you get purple 336 for hyde and zeke. Is ops the only way?

Edited by Death-Hammer
  • Like 1

On 2/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, TrixxieTriss said:

Who knows 🤷🏻‍♀️. It’s one of the reasons I quit for over 12 months. But even now since I came back. I cannot be bothered to put anytime into gearing up. 
The whole system is so convoluted that new & returning players have to do way too much research outside the game to understand the system. 
Then when you do understand, it’s so convoluted that you don’t even bother unless you really need the extra stats for specific end game content. 
At least under the 6.0 system, everyone could gear at their own rate, playing their preferred content (most of the time), except pvpers who got shafted & are still shafted under this convoluted mess. 

I agree. Any system that requires you to go outside the game to learn is a failure on the development part. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Death-Hammer said:

Level 80 purple gear (Rakata) drops in master mode operations and veteran mode operation R-4 Anomaly.  In other veteran mode operations they will only drop for earpiece, implant, and relic.  The operation gear drop will match the item rating of whatever you currently have equipped in that slot so if you already have a 336 rating item in the slot that the item dropped for then it too will be a 336 rating.   Alternatively you can purchase a purple piece of rating 324 gear from the <Operations Gear Vendor> on fleet for OP-1 Catalysts and credits.  You can then use the <Operation Gear Upgrades> vendor to upgrade the item with more OP-1 Catalysts and credits.  You can also use this vendor to upgrade any <336 rating purple gear drops you get from veteran or master operations.

Once you have a 336 purple equipable item you are willing to deconstruct then you visit Hyde and Zeek with the character that you want to be able to purchase 336 purple enhancements on and pick up the 336 artifact mission.  When you have the mission in your log then deconstruct the 336 purple gear item and this will advance the 336 artifact mission.  Talk to Hyde and Zeek again and the mission will complete and unlock 336 purple enhancements for purchase from Zeek.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Char_Ell said:

Level 80 purple gear (Rakata) drops in master mode operations and veteran mode operation R-4 Anomaly.  In other veteran mode operations they will only drop for earpiece, implant, and relic. 

Disappointing answer but thank you very much for taking the time to clarify for me.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Death-Hammer said:

This! You need 500 of 5 different currencies for every single piece of gear it seems. I find everything about this process of gearing confusing and frustrating. I still don't even know or understand how you get purple 336 for hyde and zeke. Is ops the only way?

They've simplified things quite a lot. Go into the supplies section of the fleet and go into the first room with all the gear vendors. Talk to the flashpoint upgrade vendor. The first item he has for sale is a bag of 200 fp-1 currency that costs 500 of the daily resource matrix iirc (going off memory here so I might be incorrect. You might be able to buy them with conquest comms point being tho is that u can spend more readily available currencies on the one you need). If you've already got a piece of blue gear from a Flashpoint simply upgrade that piece of gear to 336 by converting the daily resource matrix if you have enough. Once you have a 336 blue piece then do the Hyde and Zeek mission. That will unlock all the blue 336 mods/enhancements ect. That should be high enough gear to do pretty much everything in game. 

On a side note if you have blue ear or relics don't use those for the Hyde and zeek missions for obvious reasons. You actually need to upgrade those can't buy them from the vendor. 

If you are dead set on unlocking the 336 purple gear all you really have to do is find a Nefra farm. Same concept as the blue gear. You actually can't buy the currency so you'll just have to do the hardmode operation weekly which will give u a bunch of OP-1 comms and then each purple piece that drops from the boss can be deconstructed for even more comms. Again you only need the one piece of 336 purple to do the Hyde Zeek mission. 

Edit: apologies for the confusion but I made this post last night based off memory and I was wrong about a couple things. I checked today and you are able to convert  CONQUEST comms into FP-1 comms, not daily resource matrix. The vendor you need to use is the conquest gear vendor in the supplies section of the fleet. 

Edited by Samcuu

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.