I still don't like Koth

SierraLovesCats

Out of all the characters from the Eternal Empire story, he's by far the most annoying. In fact, I'd say he's really the only character that gets on my nerves at least off the top off my head.

He constantly complains and doesn't take responsibility unless it personally affects him. He's constantly in denial about Valkorion and is extremely biased in his views on the greater galaxy, basically ignores all other civilizations and does not care one bit when informed about the horrific things his emperor did to them but as soon as you even let a single Zakuulian die he loses his mind. I see someone defend him here and there and I just cannot understand how you can really defend this guy. To each their own I guess.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

On 2/12/2023 at 7:39 AM, SierraLovesCats said:

Out of all the characters from the Eternal Empire story, he's by far the most annoying. In fact, I'd say he's really the only character that gets on my nerves at least off the top off my head.

He constantly complains and doesn't take responsibility unless it personally affects him. He's constantly in denial about Valkorion and is extremely biased in his views on the greater galaxy, basically ignores all other civilizations and does not care one bit when informed about the horrific things his emperor did to them but as soon as you even let a single Zakuulian die he loses his mind. I see someone defend him here and there and I just cannot understand how you can really defend this guy. To each their own I guess.

the zakulann empire is a more moderate version of the empire, they only watch over them and the other races, civilizations and cultures are practically new to them, valkorion made his home world practically a paradise and he grew up with it, although that does not prevent That he is so denialist by not accepting the versions of everyone else, he is undoubtedly an annoying character, but that does not take away his background that one must understand and because he considers Valkorion someone exemplary

• 1 year later...

He's pretty annoying but I got over it when I discovered how amusing it is to see people express their hate of him (or any other character like that "sky district" dude from another game). No disrespect intended, just gives me a chuckle every time I hear it.

Koth is like Corso imho, you like him at first because you don't know any better but run thought a few characters with him and you seek ways to get ride of him sooner lol

He's a decent guy but his wanting to put Valkorian back on the throne even after he knows damn well what kind of monster he is is a flapping red flag to say the least, at least to me.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, YaddleTwo said:

Koth is like Corso imho, you like him at first because you don't know any better but run thought a few characters with him and you seek ways to get ride of him sooner lol

He's a decent guy but his wanting to put Valkorian back on the throne even after he knows damn well what kind of monster he is is a flapping red flag to say the least, at least to me.

Koth lived as Valkorion's subject his entire life, and during that time he knew him only as a wise leader who brought peace and prosperity. Should he change his entire view of him because someone he has known for a few hours, someone who murdered this great leader, claims that in some other incarnation, ruling another empire, he was a monster?

• Like 1

I do find it entertaining when he gets upset because you didn't stop to save the people who imprisoned you when you're trying to escape them.... Or when he gets upset because you choose to kill a elite soldier that has attacked you twice even though you've just killed multiple others then he turns around and shoots the other one in their head and says Something like " if you don't kill him now we'll have to fight him again later.." He's definitely prejudiced and only concerned about his own agenda I do love it when he leaves because he doesn't like you not saving his people.. I'm finally playing through with a extremely evil character Who's dark side options are way more logical in a war don't know if I can kill him yet.. Just starting the second act.  

On 3/2/2024 at 3:15 PM, Anhkriva said:

Should he change his entire view of him because someone he has known for a few hours, someone who murdered this great leader, claims that in some other incarnation, ruling another empire, he was a monster?

No, he should change it because he has spent several years travelling the Galaxy with someone who was a firsthand witness to everything that happened and because it would be too much of a coincidence that he was the only guy in the entire Galaxy without access to the Holonet, where he can see for himself everything that happened?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quendorite said:

No, he should change it because he has spent several years travelling the Galaxy with someone who was a firsthand witness to everything that happened and because it would be too much of a coincidence that he was the only guy in the entire Galaxy without access to the Holonet, where he can see for himself everything that happened?

The same can be said about Lana. She spent several years with someone who saw firsthand how good life was during Valkior's reign, and she certainly had access to data that showed Zakuul before Arcan. Maybe she should admit that everything she knows about the Sith Emperor was a lie? After all, why do we expect him to change his worldview because of Lana and not the other way around?

• Like 1

Correction, I never had a problem with Koth but there are others I could care less for (Lana for one)  so for all those that hate certain companions, there are some that don't.

Spoiler

Koth is annoying to me, but if someone likes him that's fine. The people I can't understand are the DS Jeasa and Kaliyo fans. Koth got punched by my SW, BH, and Male Agent. The rest gave him a warning.

How many people allow the reactor to blow and why? I have debated with myself over this and I always stop it. However I can't help but think that my characters wouldn't know the people of zakuul as anyone other than people who followed the emperor and thus should be my enemy. Am I wrong to think that and should I let the reactor blow?

2 hours ago, voshara said:

How many people allow the reactor to blow and why? I have debated with myself over this and I always stop it. However I can't help but think that my characters wouldn't know the people of zakuul as anyone other than people who followed the emperor and thus should be my enemy. Am I wrong to think that and should I let the reactor blow?

Not even my dark side (when I had them) would let the reactor blow.  Just never made sense to any of them.

Letting the reactor blow is just gratuitous. LOL When I watch Chinese or Korean Dramas and the bad guys just keep destroying I'm like "Hello, what is there left to rule over." There is no value in letting it blow if you want to rule, and if you don't it gives you more problems than solutions.

1 hour ago, JakRoanin said:

There is no value in letting it blow if you want to rule

And, indeed, as you go to save the reactor on an Inquisitor (?maybe also on a Warrior?), your character says more or less exactly that to Lana.

not helping with reactor doesn't make you evil in this case, it doesn't make you good either but it doesn't make you evil, lana makes a damn good point about not scarficing yourself for enemy faction at risk of both of you dying and everything she planned by rescuing you falling apart becuse you got a bleeding heart, only one evil in this scenario is vaylin.

and yeah 100% agreed with thread poster, alongisde the thing you mentoned koth is generally self absorbed and has identity crisis and struggles to figure out who hes fighting with his reasons for betrayal are just pathetic and unacceptable, don't want me to fight your people? maybe you shouldn't freed me.

Edited by BulbulusTheGreat

10 hours ago, voshara said:

i let it blow, didn't see particular reason to stop it, lana brought up good point about pointlessly risking our lives for people who imprisoned me, if we were on dromund kaas i'd stop it, but i won't stick my neck out for people who hate my guts, killed and imprisoned my people and friends and follow family of mad men who invaded every inch of the galaxy and have superiority complex about their culture (even though admittedly zakuulian culture is pretty interesting)

Edited by BulbulusTheGreat

Also, in a non-story reasoning, for those wishing to romance Lana, saving the reactor offers an extra [Flirt] opportunity *before* the one beside the pool of water in the swamp.  Lana's reaction if you take the [Flirt] is *priceless*.

17 hours ago, voshara said:

Only save it on my absolute good characters even some of my jedi are like"I have a galaxy to save wont't be able to if I'm dead". My sith don't care besides it was caused by the people that imprisioned them it's a win in their book.

On 3/2/2024 at 9:15 AM, Anhkriva said:

Koth lived as Valkorion's subject his entire life, and during that time he knew him only as a wise leader who brought peace and prosperity. Should he change his entire view of him because someone he has known for a few hours, someone who murdered this great leader, claims that in some other incarnation, ruling another empire, he was a monster?

He's known Lana for longer and i'm sure she's filled him in. And he's gone beyond Zakuul a couple times at least before you meet him and watched space tv i'm sure too,

3 hours ago, SteveTheCynic said:

Also, in a non-story reasoning, for those wishing to romance Lana, saving the reactor offers an extra [Flirt] opportunity *before* the one beside the pool of water in the swamp.  Lana's reaction if you take the [Flirt] is *priceless*.

This is true, even on toons i don't romance Lana on if that /flirt pops up i'll hit it lol

18 hours ago, voshara said:

Honestly i do this on a character by character decision, and not always light v dark either, heck i don't even have a fully dark char on any server and yeah a lot of the time nowadays i just wanna get the heck outta dodge tbh

15 minutes ago, YaddleTwo said:

He's known Lana for longer and i'm sure she's filled him in. And he's gone beyond Zakuul a couple times at least before you meet him and watched space tv i'm sure too,

I wasn't talking about Lana but about the Outlander.

Lana could tell him whatever she wanted, her words without evidence were meaningless. On board the Gravestone, Koth insists that Valkorion and the Sith emperor are nothing like each other, which only proves how unconvincing she was in proving that they are same person. 

What does it matter if Koth was outside Zakuul? Is there evidence in the Sith Empire or Republic that Valkorion was evil? Evidence against the Sith emperor is everywhere, but good luck finding anything on Valkorion.

Space TV may have shown Arcan but not Valkorion, who was already dead when they met, and apart from his encounter with Darth Marr and the Outlander, had no contact with the rest of the galaxy.

1 hour ago, Anhkriva said:

I wasn't talking about Lana but about the Outlander.

Lana could tell him whatever she wanted, her words without evidence were meaningless. On board the Gravestone, Koth insists that Valkorion and the Sith emperor are nothing like each other, which only proves how unconvincing she was in proving that they are same person. 

What does it matter if Koth was outside Zakuul? Is there evidence in the Sith Empire or Republic that Valkorion was evil? Evidence against the Sith emperor is everywhere, but good luck finding anything on Valkorion.

Space TV may have shown Arcan but not Valkorion, who was already dead when they met, and apart from his encounter with Darth Marr and the Outlander, had no contact with the rest of the galaxy.

To your first point: I know you were talking about "the Outlander" but here's the thing, Koth believed Lana enough to risk his life to help her find and save the Outlander right? He trusted her with his life, so he did believe her however there is a thing called denial... 

Lets put it this way... you flip on Dateline and see "oh he was always so sweet to us kids/neighbors/etc" but yet dude clearly committed some atrocious crimes. Yeah I'm not going to keep someone on the school committee because someone else thought he was a nice guy.

To your second point: It's called seeing the truth from an outside perspective

To your third: Yes and Yes because they knew he was the same dude.

Some people love Koth and that's cool I'm just telling you why i don't like Koth anymore that is all. You're not going to change my opinion and I'm not looking to change yours. I'm just explaining my personal reasons why i think the guy is a red flag.  

• Confused 1