Permanent second Combat Style is dumb

Lieutenant_Jade

• 2 weeks later...

I was sort of hoping it was more like the D&D Multi-Class. Where you combined 2 classes and had the skills and abilities of both classes in one. Not this Either one or the Other junk.

I still have not chosen a second combat style on any of my 32 characters.

I do like Loadouts though, that is very useful. Second combat style... Not so useful.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, denavin said:

I was sort of hoping it was more like the D&D Multi-Class. Where you combined 2 classes and had the skills and abilities of both classes in one. Not this Either one or the Other junk.

I still have not chosen a second combat style on any of my 32 characters.

I do like Loadouts though, that is very useful. Second combat style... Not so useful.

Them making it where it mixes two styles together is a fantasy.  They have consistently made the classes/combat styles more homogeneous as the game has gone along.   They won’t go back to the nightmare that is balancing that having two sets of skills simultaneously would involve. 

On 2/10/2023 at 9:26 AM, Lieutenant_Jade said:

There are still unfriendly perks for having a second combat style.

You'll have to explain what "unfriendly perks" even *means*.

Before this change you could kind of know what weapon each style use but now it is not clear.

You'll have to justify this assertion, because @ZUHFB is right.  I've seen no way to use an out-of-style weapon *anywhere* in the post 7.0 game.  You pick Juggernaut, and you use a single sabre and a shield/focus, just like you did before 7.0.  The only difference is that now, it's possible to be a Juggernaut on an origin story that isn't Sith Warrior, but a Juggernaut uses the same weapons as before.

With that, you cannot change it after you have chosen your second combat style. 

Correct.  You can't.  I'd like to know what's "dumb" about that.  (Making it permanent is a good defence against "FOTM switching", so it's definitely un-dumb from BioWare's point of view.)

Um, yeah. Whilst it would be lovely from a RP perspective for a Jedi character to be able to wield a blaster etc if being incognito, this system explicitly doesn't allow for that, and, in fact, your weapon wielded still makes it every bit as clear as it always was, what class you are. 

Hm... now I've just realised, a combination of Sniper and a bowcaster from Collections, which I think I have, would enable me to play a crossbow wielding 'not-gunslinger'. I may have to do that :)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RowanThursday said:

Hm... now I've just realised, a combination of Sniper and a bowcaster from Collections, which I think I have, would enable me to play a crossbow wielding 'not-gunslinger'. I may have to do that :)

Ugh.  I wish I'd thought of that.  It's a longstanding complaint of mine that there's no heavy bowcaster that carries like an Assault Cannon, and that the game treats like an Assault Cannon, for my Commandos.  Trooper/Sniper + sniper-rifle Bowcaster == solution.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, Darcmoon said:

They won’t go back to the nightmare that is balancing that having two sets of skills simultaneously would involve. 

Riiiight  and things are just so "balanced" now as it is. :rolleyes:

The notion of "balance" in MMO's is an unattainable myth btw , due to the coveted  holy trinity ( tank-->dps--->healer ) .   Also since human-gamers by their very nature are inherently unbalanced when it comes to RL skill, ISP connections, & mental focus.

1 hour ago, Nee-Elder said:

Riiiight  and things are just so "balanced" now as it is. :rolleyes:

The notion of "balance" in MMO's is an unattainable myth btw , due to the coveted  holy trinity ( tank-->dps--->healer ) .   Also since human-gamers by their very nature are inherently unbalanced when it comes to RL skill, ISP connections, & mental focus.

I never said it is balanced right now.  But as much as I prefered the original skill trees the game had, I have to admit they made it much harder for the devs to 'balance' even to this level.  They have consistently made those skill trees simpler to make balancing easier.  They won't make it harder on themselves by letting players play a toon with both Sorcerer and Marauder skills at the same time.