PVP Gear is not viable for PVP in 7.2

PLeahC

Prior to 7.2 the PVP gear maximum was 328 gear. If someone entered with gear above that item rating they would be scaled down. In 7.2 the highest PVP gear is now 332 gear. However, each match will be filled with people wearing 336 gear. These people are not being scaled down i think it's because they're wearing mods, but basically PVP gear is no longer viable for PVP. Also, you can't obtain the best PVP gear from doing PVP. People are getting 336 blue or purple mods and using them for PVP. PVP is so unbalanced right now because if you don't have 336 item rated gear then the people that do will kill you in a few hits. 

How can the highest rated PVP gear be no good in PVP? What is going on?

• Like 1

Hearsay or do you have evidence that 336 is not bolstered down as it should be?

I have not grinded 336 mods as I expected them to scale down. I cannot confirm this. Can you? Can you post some screenshots comparing the two sets inside a warzone?

Can anyone?

• Like 3

I have already posted a bug report and one on this channel about this. 
Bolster is currently not working as you say and no one is being scaled down, you have 339 rated players with vastly superior stats.
The problem is the devs don't gaf about pvp, it's incredibly evident. Nothing to be done except uninstall. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meddani said:

weird i have 336 gear, outside bg/arena 413k health & dmg 29k.

inside a bg arena 403k health & 28k dmg.

Even though there's more to it than health (obviously) it would certainly be good to hear an official statement or some more fact based evidence from players as to whether "bolster is broken" or not because comments and posts like this keep cropping up...

For quite some time now, new developers don't know how the bolster equation works, it's very obvious, because whenever there is an update, the bolster is broken.

Players with a lot of time on their hands already know this and run looking for the exploit, a few months go by, in which Bioware not only doesn't know how to fix it but is also on vacations 🤪and the exploiters keep playing like this. Nothing new unfortunately, to be expected. 

Sadly your choices are 1) Accept that this game is a joke, either join the exploiters or take solace in knowing you are a better person 2) Don't play for a few months until it gets fixed (with luck). 

And yes, Bolster needs to go, everyone should have same stats automatically in PVP , it should be skill based not dependent on gear. Some MMOs do this already. Or at least return to expertise gear.

Edited by Giberelina
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I grinded for the 336 gear. If you wear it in warzones you get more endurance and more mastery but your crit/power go down by quite a bit. I'm not a stat nerd so there might be a slight advantage depending on what class you play, but I honestly don't think it's worth it. 

Anyways as far as I understand this isn't a bolster issue. Bolster doesn't exist in the game anymore. Your stats are your stats. They've got some sort of stat cap they try and adhere to. Admittedly tho that's been broken since 7.0 because prior to 7.2 you could cheese the system a lot more than you can now and there was a lot more stat gain by stacking high end gear and wearing lower gear rating relics. They fixed that. 

Edited by Samcuu

People in 339 gear are good enough to grind Watchdog and Kanoth, which (amazingly given how simple these bosses are) immediately makes them better than 99% of players. The reason you’re getting wrecked by players in better gear is because, on average, those players are better. They are getting bolstered down, but people still gonna get destroyed because skill gap is so huge in regs now that they removed ranked. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AwesomeTacoCat said:

People in 339 gear are good enough to grind Watchdog and Kanoth, which (amazingly given how simple these bosses are) immediately makes them better than 99% of players. The reason you’re getting wrecked by players in better gear is because, on average, those players are better. They are getting bolstered down, but people still gonna get destroyed because skill gap is so huge in regs now that they removed ranked. 

Literally anyone can grind those two bosses, they are not hard. Grinding is just a bore and the gear is irrelevant if what you want to do is pvp.

18 hours ago, Samcuu said:

I grinded for the 336 gear. If you wear it in warzones you get more endurance and more mastery but your crit/power go down by quite a bit. I'm not a stat nerd so there might be a slight advantage depending on what class you play, but I honestly don't think it's worth it. 

Anyways as far as I understand this isn't a bolster issue. Bolster doesn't exist in the game anymore. Your stats are your stats. They've got some sort of stat cap they try and adhere to. Admittedly tho that's been broken since 7.0 because prior to 7.2 you could cheese the system a lot more than you can now and there was a lot more stat gain by stacking high end gear and wearing lower gear rating relics. They fixed that. 

It's not worth it because it disadvantages you. Bolster does exist. If you want to see what your bolster changes are like line by line, go to a Rishi stronghold and swap your full gear set back and forth.

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, -Garmonbozia said:

It's not worth it because it disadvantages you. Bolster does exist. If you want to see what your bolster changes are like line by line, go to a Rishi stronghold and swap your full gear set back and forth.

This is a bit of a semantics argument but as of 7.0 bolster doesn't effect lvl 80 players. Here's a run down of how 7.0 changed the bolster situation by a much more numbers savy player (and more intelligent too lel) 

I thought I was clear but okay. 
"Bolster is near non-existent" This is a reference to the fact missing augments you don't get bolstered for them which is a massive amount of stats. The bolster is so set so low it doesn't impact anyone with even starter gear at all. While it's there, it's really not helping anyone but lowbies.    
The stats are directly coming from the gear, you have these same stats inside and outside of the warzone, it's abusing the item level calculation to not get "Stat capped" if you will when you hit above 328. This isn't really a bolster thing, something more complicated to fix. The bolster is already gutted as is.    
For example the current BiS for a PvE player. 
326 ear 
334 implant 
334 implant 
340 gear 
340 gear  
340 gear 
340 gear 
340 gear  
340 gear  
340 gear 
306 belt 
306 wrist 
306 relic 
306 relic 
4598 / 14 = 328.4285714285714 
328.449 rounds up. So it's just under. 
making this bis without giving up relics procs 
You'd have the same stats in and outside of warzones minus crystals as they don't work at all in PvP right now.   
Don't get me wrong I don't like this at all.  
I am not sure how they'll fix it other than uncapping pvp gear or adding expertise back. Expertise played a big role when PvE & PvP gear were separate. We don't have that currently. https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924650-pvp-gs-bolstering-possible-exploit/?do=findComment&comment=9718325

Post 7.2 this changed. The stat capping is actually working properly now so we do actually agree. The guy that made this post doesn't seem to be playing swtor now @beyrahl but he'd be able to explain exactly how it's functioning. I just think ppl are a bit confused because the item rating calculation was being somewhat abused as you can see what the bis gear was at the time, and I think ppl still think that it's broken just cuz they see someone performing well in a wz. 

On 12/31/2022 at 10:01 PM, Samcuu said:

This is a bit of a semantics argument but as of 7.0 bolster doesn't effect lvl 80 players. Here's a run down of how 7.0 changed the bolster situation by a much more numbers savy player (and more intelligent too lel) 

I thought I was clear but okay. 
"Bolster is near non-existent" This is a reference to the fact missing augments you don't get bolstered for them which is a massive amount of stats. The bolster is so set so low it doesn't impact anyone with even starter gear at all. While it's there, it's really not helping anyone but lowbies.    
The stats are directly coming from the gear, you have these same stats inside and outside of the warzone, it's abusing the item level calculation to not get "Stat capped" if you will when you hit above 328. This isn't really a bolster thing, something more complicated to fix. The bolster is already gutted as is.    
For example the current BiS for a PvE player. 
326 ear 
334 implant 
334 implant 
340 gear 
340 gear  
340 gear 
340 gear 
340 gear  
340 gear  
340 gear 
306 belt 
306 wrist 
306 relic 
306 relic 
4598 / 14 = 328.4285714285714 
328.449 rounds up. So it's just under. 
making this bis without giving up relics procs 
You'd have the same stats in and outside of warzones minus crystals as they don't work at all in PvP right now.   
Don't get me wrong I don't like this at all.  
I am not sure how they'll fix it other than uncapping pvp gear or adding expertise back. Expertise played a big role when PvE & PvP gear were separate. We don't have that currently. https://forums.swtor.com/topic/924650-pvp-gs-bolstering-possible-exploit/?do=findComment&comment=9718325

Post 7.2 this changed. The stat capping is actually working properly now so we do actually agree. The guy that made this post doesn't seem to be playing swtor now @beyrahl but he'd be able to explain exactly how it's functioning. I just think ppl are a bit confused because the item rating calculation was being somewhat abused as you can see what the bis gear was at the time, and I think ppl still think that it's broken just cuz they see someone performing well in a wz. 

The 340 build was relevant prior to 7.2, but isn't any longer.

50 minutes ago, -Garmonbozia said:

The 340 build was relevant prior to 7.2, but isn't any longer.

Thanks for clearing it up. I know that in 7.0 you could average ur gear to 328.42 and you'd maximize ur stats in warzones. I've been testing it with 336 gear but it didn't seem like there was an advantage anymore. Bioware does this sometimes where they make a change overnight and it's nowhere to be found in any patch notes, so I wasn't completely sure that it had been fixed. 

7 hours ago, Samcuu said:

Thanks for clearing it up. I know that in 7.0 you could average ur gear to 328.42 and you'd maximize ur stats in warzones. I've been testing it with 336 gear but it didn't seem like there was an advantage anymore. Bioware does this sometimes where they make a change overnight and it's nowhere to be found in any patch notes, so I wasn't completely sure that it had been fixed. 

Yeah, they didn't mention it at the time, but they typically don't address most bolster issues directly. I suspect they prefer to pretend they don't happen. lol