Livestream talked about currency conversion ..

Alithia

4 hours ago, Screaming_Ziva said:

I watched the stream and I don’t remember them saying anything about currency conversion.

at about 49:30 Bryant Wood talks about the Gearing Changes and there is a slide telling us to join the forums for more info on:

- New legendary Implants

- Currency conversions

- QoL improvements

well here we are on the forum, waiting for clarification :D

Edited by Dekibra
Dang those typos
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dekibra said:

at about 49:30 Bryant Wood talks about the Gearing Changes and there is a slide telling us to join the forums for more info on:

- New legendary Implants

- Currency conversions

- QoL improvements

well here we are on the forum, waitung for clarification :D

I guess I missed that part.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, Alithia said:

Nothing?

See this thread: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925879-gear-and-progression-changes-coming-with-72/

Relevant portion quoted below:

Currency Conversions
The Spoils of War vendor on the fleet currently sells a Bag of 50 Tech Fragments for 50 Conquest Commendations. We heard your feedback that 50 is too little and makes using this conversion bothersome. We will be changing this to a Bag of 200 Tech Fragments for 200 Conquest Commendations! We’ve also increased the ways players can purchase the Bag of 200 Tech Fragments. Gear vendors will now sell these bags for 200 WZ-1 Accelerants, 200 OP-1 Catalysts, or 200 FP-1 Stabilizers respectively.

Additionally the Spoils of War vendor will offer a new item to help players with Conquest Commendations progress towards Prototype gear! A Bag of 200 FP-1 Stabilizers will be available for 500 Conquest Commendations.

Spelled out the available conversions will be:

• 200 Conquest Commendations -> 200 Tech Fragments - was 50 at a time before, but will now be 200 at a time
  • 500 Conquest Commendations -> 200 FP-1 Stabilizers
  • 200 WZ-1 Accelerants -> 200 Tech Fragments
  • 200 OP-1 Catalysts -> 200 Tech Fragments
  • 200 FP-1 Stabilizers -> 200 Tech Fragments

The only one without a conversion is Daily Resource Matrix.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

I would love to be able to convert like say 1000 Daily Resource Matrix into something like 200 tech fragments.
I need more of the tech fragments for upgrading implants on my second combat style and the resource matrix has been capping for 2 months now.

10 hours ago, ThanderSnB said:

See this thread: https://forums.swtor.com/topic/925879-gear-and-progression-changes-coming-with-72/

Relevant portion quoted below:

Spelled out the available conversions will be:

• 200 Conquest Commendations -> 200 Tech Fragments - was 50 at a time before, but will now be 200 at a time
  • 500 Conquest Commendations -> 200 FP-1 Stabilizers
  • 200 WZ-1 Accelerants -> 200 Tech Fragments
  • 200 OP-1 Catalysts -> 200 Tech Fragments
  • 200 FP-1 Stabilizers -> 200 Tech Fragments

I wonder why. I pretty sure I'm full on everything except WZ and FP-1.

Not that it's a major complaint, at least I can convert all the OP-1 I've got.

When they mess with the way gear and stuff is acquired its because they have run out of ideas for keeping you playing. If you recall in general when a game comes out you play the game you get a reward for doing something. Then at end game you run a dungeon you get something or a piece of something to get a reward. Then it rinses and repeats but only if you have fresh new content. If you don't have fresh new content you have to think of a way to get people to run "hammer station" over and over and over again. So you make convoluted changes to the way stuff is acquired. Same boring content (wasn't boring at first but after 9 years....) but a new way to get ugly gear with a slightly better number on it at a slower rate. This keeps you running the same hammer station over and over again and since its ugly your forced into the store to buy the good looking gear. they make money you get nothing.  Guys/ gals its time to let this game die.

Since they have announced currency conversions ... IMO it would be nice if one of the now un-used portions of the two main stations (Republic / Empire) had an office with SWTOR's version of an exchange area.  That might include a few NPC's, some signage with "current exchange rates".   It might take some additional work for the art department...  BUT IMO that might be a nice touch! 

27 minutes ago, OlBuzzard said:

Since they have announced currency conversions ... IMO it would be nice if one of the now un-used portions of the two main stations (Republic / Empire) had an office with SWTOR's version of an exchange area.  That might include a few NPC's, some signage with "current exchange rates".   It might take some additional work for the art department...  BUT IMO that might be a nice touch! 

As a somewhat unrelated thought, what about allowing the various "currencies" to be exchanged for in game credits to drain some of the credits from the game.

Edit: Buying the currencies with credits that is

Edited by DWho
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, DWho said:

As a somewhat unrelated thought, what about allowing the various "currencies" to be exchanged for in game credits to drain some of the credits from the game.

Ya know ....  that's not that bad an idea ... really!!

12 hours ago, DWho said:

if they wanted such a system to have any sort of significant impact on the absolutely staggering amount of credits drifting around, it'd have to be at a pricepoint that 99.99999% of the playerbase would immediately balk at, and such a system would defeat the purpose of even having content-differentiated currencies in the first place

2 hours ago, recalcitrantIre said:

if they wanted such a system to have any sort of significant impact on the absolutely staggering amount of credits drifting around, it'd have to be at a pricepoint that 99.99999% of the playerbase would immediately balk at, and such a system would defeat the purpose of even having content-differentiated currencies in the first place

I disagree. It takes hundreds of those currencies to upgrade just 1 piece and you have to have an upgradeable piece to start with (which comes from the content in question) so it doesn't defeat the purpose at all. In addition, the sheer number of those currencies you would need to buy would drain a significant number of credits compared to what there is now and it would only affect those that want to rush the process instead of crippling the players that aren't swimming in credits like most of the other suggestions that have been made to combat the credit excess (like reducing rewards even further which hasn't worked at all)

IMO DWho's idea really isn't all that bad.  I may not be THE answer to all things bad with the surplus of credits.  I'd prefer not to derail this thread with yet another round of all that is wrong with players having credits.

The ONLY thing I was (still am) considering is the possibility that there MIGHT be at least one more place to spend some of those credits in such a manner as to get said credits out of circulation.  Nothing more ...  nothing less.  We can debate WHERE the surplus of credits is coming from in another thread later on!

6 hours ago, DWho said:

would drain a significant number of credits compared to what there is now

not quite sure you understand just how many credits there are in circulation, in all likelihood it's counted in the quadrillions, and once again the price per unit would have to be enormous to make a dent in the current economic situation

people already circumvented as much of the amplifiers credit sink as they could during 6.x between the weekly reset of reroll costs and simply acquiring new mods that hadn't had their reroll costs incremented

tying yet another credit sink to gear would just be repeating proven mistakes and Bioware is exceptionally hesitant to do that

10 hours ago, recalcitrantIre said:

or a price a lot of players could afford.

The GTN is the best credit sink in the game. It only takes 5% to 8% of the sale in taxes. The cost is low but because a lot of people use the GTN it removes a lot of credits from the game.

The biggest problem isn't going to be the price, the issue will be the saturation point where players will no longer need to buy those content currencies.

Credit sinks do not always have to be huge to work. Credit sinks can be small but when they are a lot of players have to continuously use them to make the small credit sinks viable.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, illgot said:

The GTN is the best credit sink in the game. It only takes 5% to 8% of the sale in taxes. The cost is low but because a lot of people use the GTN it removes a lot of credits from the game.

The biggest problem isn't going to be the price, the issue will be the saturation point where players will no longer need to buy those content currencies.

Credit sinks do not always have to be huge to work. Credit sinks can be small but when they are a lot of players have to continuously use them to make the small credit sinks viable.

I agree!! Well said!

34 minutes ago, illgot said:

and the GTN has been getting less and less effective as a functional credit sink (and some might argue that it never was); constantly rising item prices means less and less stuff is able to be listed on the GTN and the 8% commission rate is therefore not being removed from the sale price of those items

36 minutes ago, illgot said:

the price per unit is the main factor of how effective the sink is, given that the amount of currency required for gearing is fixed and finite

I don't think there's actually a price point that is both effective and meaningfully engaging to the playerbase

55 minutes ago, illgot said:

Credit sinks do not always have to be huge to work.

at this stage of the game, they kinda have to

350m to max out every single new manaan vendor deco? 3.8b for the fleet rakata decos? 4.9b for Onderon? droplets in the ocean

The GTN is technically removing more credits than ever... but the credits are worth less now so even though it is removing a lot more credits it is having less of an effect on our economy.

If we want the GTN to be more effective as a credit sink, the GTN limits need to be raised to keep up with inflation.

But in order to increase the GTN limits we need to also increase the credit limit characters can carry.

There can be a lot of different credit sinks in the game, but a credit sinks effectiveness will be measured in how many credits over a certain period they can remove (based on credit inflation), not how many credits will be removed per transaction.

Edited by illgot
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2022 at 6:26 AM, OlBuzzard said:

Reminds me of the holo-propaganda stand in The Bad Batch encouraging (forcing) people to convert their Republic currency to Imperial Credits. We could have that on fleet.

"The Republic/Empire needs raw materials, make credits while helping the Republic/Empire. More informatiion at the Currency Kiosk!" - in the fleet broadcaster's voice

On 11/13/2022 at 6:53 AM, DWho said:

That's a good idea.

4 hours ago, recalcitrantIre said:

and the GTN has been getting less and less effective as a functional credit sink (and some might argue that it never was); constantly rising item prices means less and less stuff is able to be listed on the GTN and the 8% commission rate is therefore not being removed from the sale price of those items

the price per unit is the main factor of how effective the sink is, given that the amount of currency required for gearing is fixed and finite

I don't think there's actually a price point that is both effective and meaningfully engaging to the playerbase

at this stage of the game, they kinda have to

350m to max out every single new manaan vendor deco? 3.8b for the fleet rakata decos? 4.9b for Onderon? droplets in the ocean

This. Reminds myself to finally do the Paying Ransom Danttoine achievement the next time the event is up. 150m used to be unthinkable, now it's pocket money.