Is Oricon Bothrium Beast bugged?

dukesoup

The Bothrium beast actually does have a tentacle-mechanic but that's different.

If you can't kill the beast fast enough after interrupting, it will summon a tentacle and drains health from that instead. If you don't focus on the tentacle then, the beast may be back at full health before your interrupt is available again.

Edited by Mubrak

• 5 months later...

Getting sick and gorram tired of undefeatable bosses!  This game really needs some reworking big time!  Yet another quest I'm abandoning, because every time I make some headway on damaging it with my Powertech Bounty Hunter, it just manages to heal itself again!  NOTHING I do interrupts its heal!

Sick and tired of quests I have to abandon this week because there's no way to complete them! 😡

7 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

Sick and tired of quests I have to abandon this week because there's no way to complete them! 😡

Or, to correct this statement - "because there's no way for me  to beat them!"

Like just about any video game ever, there are some bosses that are harder than others. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JediQuaker said:

Or, to correct this statement - "because there's no way for me  to beat them!"

Like just about any video game ever, there are some bosses that are harder than others. 

Clearly I'm not the only one having trouble.  First thing I did was look for a guide of what to do.  When I tried that and it did not work, then I came and posted on this thread.  Other MMORPGs have made adjustments to a boss' difficulty and/or mechanics when necessary.  This game should be no different.  

10 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

Getting sick and gorram tired of undefeatable bosses!  This game really needs some reworking big time!  Yet another quest I'm abandoning, because every time I make some headway on damaging it with my Powertech Bounty Hunter, it just manages to heal itself again!  NOTHING I do interrupts its heal!

It's not bugged. As a powertech, you have an ability called "Quell." When you see the heal cast, use that ability to interrupt the heal. If a little tentacle spawns, kill it.
If you're doing that and it's still not dead, try setting your companion to dps.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ReKabNad said:

Clearly I'm not the only one having trouble.  First thing I did was look for a guide of what to do.  When I tried that and it did not work, then I came and posted on this thread.  Other MMORPGs have made adjustments to a boss' difficulty and/or mechanics when necessary.  This game should be no different.  

Let's go over the strategy for this boss:

- Interrupt it when it heals

- That's it?

Are you expecting all bosses to be simply "do dmg untill it dies"? I hope you don't get into any minimally complex op...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Crystal_Mind said:

It's not bugged. As a powertech, you have an ability called "Quell." When you see the heal cast, use that ability to interrupt the heal. If a little tentacle spawns, kill it.
If you're doing that and it's still not dead, try setting your companion to dps.

I tried every power I had in my Quick Bars, I'm using the UI where it's 3 double-row Quick Bars side-by-side-by-side across most of the bottom of the screen, hopefully I remembered to set Quell in one of the slots.  I'll check it out, thanks. 

20 hours ago, ReKabNad said:

You're not alone. I don't even try to play this anymore. I only play Story. Since it's not necessary for Story play I ignore it.

• Like 1

It's been a while since I have done this fight (last GS I think), but the key thing I remember with a melee character is to stand back as far as you can and still hit the beast:  Charge abilities tend to bring you in so close that you can't see the spawn which heals the beast after a little bit, but backing off a little bit will help a lot.

Once the spawn appears, it's an easy kill (like, 'single free auto-attack' easy) and you can go back to killing the beast.

In summary, the typical sequence is:

1. Brace for the initial knockdown (if you can)
  2. Interrupt the first heal
  3. Burn the Beast until it dies or spawns the add: 
    1. Use offensive cooldowns if you have them, because the longer the fight goes, the more heals you'll have to deal with and interrupt CDs are kinda long these days...
  4. When the spawn appears, kill it before it can heal the beast (a single auto-shot will probably do it) and return to step 3.

That being said, I've always done it on well equipped DPS characters:  An undergeared or non-DPS spec might have issues here if the beast lives long enough for its heal to come off CD.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

After two hours of trying unsuccessfully, and about ready to throw in my blaster pistols, I finally came here to see if anyone else was having the same battle trying to conquer this creature.  I found this thread.  So, thank you Ominovin for this tip that you left.  I don't know all of the scope of all of my abilities as of yet, (new here and still plowing along) and managed to level from hopeless Noob to level 56 in about 3 weeks.   I didn't even see the tentacles until after my 5th round of trying.  Found those finally! (Woot!)  And kept persevering.  I couldn't seem to shoot fast enough with my Operative, so I switched to my Gunslinger with faster rounds, found my distract mojo and finally came out a victor after trying forever.   BIG KUDOS.  That was a huge help. ☺️😁 I got him. 

• Like 2

The tentacles DO indeed pop up around the area of the pond he sits in the middle of.  In the dirt around you.  For me, they popped up mostly around the perimeter behind me, and only once in the water where you'd think they would be.  Like "Whack-a-Mole", you have to be really quick to get them when they surface.  They pop up for about 5 seconds before going back under.   Because I was so focused on the beast, I hadn't even noticed them before this thread post. You must pay mind to those, or he keeps regaining 100% health.   Those tentacles are quite dark.  Three times they were emerging behind me, and I hadn't even known.  Guess my graphics are dark.  Ha, ha.  Once you kill those dastardly things, you'll be good to go.  They spun me round like a record.  💫🐙 Beware the message that also pops up on your screen regarding the beast spawning said tentacles to warn you.  So,  I was basically shooting 180° like Terminator with 2 blasters.  Ha, ha.  My Gunslinger got a workout. Lastly, If I can do it, ANYONE can.  That oughta' make you chuckle.   😆

19 hours ago, GeminiStarseed said:

After two hours of trying unsuccessfully, and about ready to throw in my blaster pistols, I finally came here to see if anyone else was having the same battle trying to conquer this creature.  I found this thread.  So, thank you Ominovin for this tip that you left.  I don't know all of the scope of all of my abilities as of yet, (new here and still plowing along) and managed to level from hopeless Noob to level 56 in about 3 weeks.   I didn't even see the tentacles until after my 5th round of trying.  Found those finally! (Woot!)  And kept persevering.  I couldn't seem to shoot fast enough with my Operative, so I switched to my Gunslinger with faster rounds, found my distract mojo and finally came out a victor after trying forever.   BIG KUDOS.  That was a huge help. ☺️😁 I got him. 

Congratulations!  I'm glad my post was helpful.

• Like 1