Is there a way to redo a combat style?

Alithia

I am now regretting haven chosen Arsenal merc an my PT. Didn't think about using Commando with LS skills, but on Empire, meaning a Mandolorian with assault cannon!

Is there a way to delete my aersneal style or musht I wait until they sell a 3rd style?

There's currently no way to change either style once they are picked. There might (might) (might) (possibly) (maybe) be an opportunity to buy a third slot later, but I wouldn't count on it.

EDIT: and if they do add a third slot or a redo, it will probably coincide with the release of a set of completely new styles.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

There's currently no way to change either style once they are picked. There might (might) (might) (possibly) (maybe) be an opportunity to buy a third slot later, but I wouldn't count on it.

EDIT: and if they do add a third slot or a redo, it will probably coincide with the release of a set of completely new styles.

This may be a silly question, is there a downside to not selecting another combat style? Have to admit I've been reluctant to choose one.

This may be a silly question, is there a downside to not selecting another combat style? Have to admit I've been reluctant to choose one.

When I saw the combat style was a permanent choice and had a lot of bugs, I untracked the mission on all my characters. The only downside I’ve seen is that my lightning sorc is going to go through Umbara, Chiss, and Nathema (and Ossus) without stealth. That’s going to be a slog, but I wouldn’t say it’s a downside really.

I've only just finished the Nathema Conspiracy FP on my highest level toon, a Sith Assassin. I shudder to think what it would be like to repeat it with a non-stealth character. I too have not picked second combat skill for any of my toons, because I don't want to get stuck with one I can't change later.

Question: say you have a 2nd stealth combat skill. You can't switch back to the other one while going through a FP, right? So the fact that you have stealth is not really that useful, if you prefer tackling bosses with your other skill setup. Is that correct, or am I missing something?

It sounds like I'll probably be ok for now without a second combat style. There's always a chance to re-visit the option once any bugs get worked out. I've done the expansions without stealth, so that's not a big deal to me. It really comes down to I don't want to make a selection that I'll regret later. So as long as I can play my characters in an ok way, I'll be content where they are.

Existing Force User characters can't switch to the mirror spec (Veng Jugg <=> Vigi Guard, for example), but aside from that, if you're comfortable with the modifications to your style and don't mind lacking stealth that you could have added, it's not such a big deal.

EDIT: and the mission to add one stays active and consumes one of your 25 mission log slots.

Edited by SteveTheCynic

As I have and regularly play (or used to, before 7.0) all 16 maxed classes and subclasses, this "addition" has been utterly pointless for me, and I've ignored it without issue. Frustrating to think that BW's limited time, energy and effort was dumped into a feature so unnecessary, inconsequential and meh. Edited by Aghasett

As I have and regularly play (or used to, before 7.0) all 16 maxed classes and subclasses, this "addition" has been utterly pointless for me, and I've ignored it without issue. Frustrating to think that BW's limited time, energy and effort was dumped into a feature so unnecessary, inconsequential and meh.

Im in the same boat, almost got all the 16 + all the dps subclasses maxed (dont like to switch between the 3 specs so i use alts).

Actually seems pointless to have the second style but eventually can be interesting the change of side to RP the opposite alignment ones a little better.

But...big but...giant but...

New generetions of players like to do all quickly and with no effort = lot of ppl wanting a stealth subclass to avoid fights.

Bioware added lot of trash mobs with more hp then some bosses....this add more and more will to avoid figthin for no rewards (trash mobs are so useless in this game...low exp (if u are still not 80, and no renown anymore) and almost always crap rewards).

I don't see a real "downside". I think it can benefit your own head-canon should you want to (example) let an imperial character embrace the light side of the force thus use a LS combat style. Especially important as a second combat style for those characters who were created prior 7.0.

A disadvantage I cannot see whatsoever. Some of my toons don't have a second combat style yet and even if I chose one I mostly kept using my first combat style.

Edited by jedi-charlotte

I don't see a real "downside". I think it can benefit your own head-canon should you want to (example) let an imperial character embrace the light side of the force thus use a LS combat style. Especially important as a second combat style for those characters who were created prior 7.0.

A disadvantage I cannot see whatsoever. Some of my toons don't have a second combat style yet and even if I chose one I mostly kept using my first combat style.

The main 'downside' is that you won't get the flexibility of a second spec: Adding a stealth spec to a non-stealth character gives you a solid 'skip the trash' option, while adding a ranged AoE spec to a stealth character isn't a bad option either.

Also, a second spec can help gearing up additional characters after your first: One of the reasons I put an operative spec on my Merc was that I had extra rifle/knife gear from my sniper/operative, which made it easier to get my ILvl up before opening boxes (which in turn gave me a bunch of pistols for that character and my multiple smugglers).

Honestly, these are less 'downsides' than 'not getting an upside'...

No.

There is no detrimental outcome if you do not choose another combat style right away. I have not chosen one on any of my characters yet and I may not choose one for all of my characters. I have a couple with combat styles I was not happy with and may change those but have not done it yet.

There is no RUSH. Take your time and see how this all works out in time. Once you choose there is NO going back. And I would not hold my breath in hopes that BW will allow you to change it in the future.

What you can change, is the ability to quickly and easily change your combat discipline without having to rebuild quick-bars, change all your utilities and all your gear. Now you can do all that with a simple click of a button.

Just wish there was a way to STORE all the GEAR and WEAPONS that are needed for the different disciplines and combat styles, without taking up all your inventory space. Almost as if there was a way it could be stored in a special BANK, like your crafting components. A bank that you take stuff from and put stuff into it, no matter where you were in the wold...;)

There is no detrimental outcome if you do not choose another combat style right away.

There is *one* downside. You cannot abandon the "Add me a style" mission, so it consumes one of your 25 mission slots until you add a style. Given the number of complaints over the years about the restricted size of the mission list, I'd say that's a good candidate for a downside.