It's Time to Kill Aug Kits

FlatTax

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's pretty much pointless anyway. Not a whole lot left in crafting that is needed now with this gearing system we have. Bioware took a dump on the crafting community. The insane amount of resources needed, the stupid RE system now to level up an item. It's just mind numbing now and it's all a push to get away from the modded gear into their static, boring gear system-

They need to just admit this gearing system was trash and go back to mods.

Have mods drop in the various types of content, and let crafters create the highest level possible mods to make the highest possible gear (with perhaps gold mods needing a material component dropped from conquest, FP, OP, and PvP boxes).

I'm not seeing the history of Aug Kits here so let me put it in. It used to be that your augments were linked to your level. For example, a Fortitude Augment 14 required you to be a level 32 and have a MK-4 augmentation kit. So you would steadily progress your augment similar to your mods, enhancement, barrels, hilts, etc. as you leveled up. Not only that, but you had to progress through the augmentation kits so if I wanted to equip a level 4 augment like above, I needed to use augment kits 1 - 4 to get to that level.

Imagine my shock when after some update somewhere, I could just equip a MK-10 aug kit without needing 1-9. :cool: It was at that moment that aug kits became completely unnecessary in theory. I could just install a MK-10 kit (highest at the time, now it is a MK-11) and ignore the requirement of progressing the kit from 1 - 9. I still have a couple rows in my augment-kit-maker's hold that has a ton of MK-1 to 10 kits and components that I should sell to a vendor since they are now worthless. Every alt after that I just made 14 of the highest level kits and installed them as soon as they got their permanent orange gear.

So to answer the OP, you are correct - today aug kits are worthless but it is remnant of a legacy system that BW has never gotten rid of completely.

Edited by EllieAnne

I Every alt after that I just made 14 of the highest level kits and installed them as soon as they got their permanent orange gear.

Uhh, how long has it been since you played? Nothing has been Orange since 6.0 dropped...

I'm not seeing the history of Aug Kits here so let me put it in. It used to be that your augments were linked to your level. For example, a Fortitude Augment 14 required you to be a level 32 and have a MK-4 augmentation kit. So you would steadily progress your augment similar to your mods, enhancement, barrels, hilts, etc. as you leveled up. Not only that, but you had to progress through the augmentation kits so if I wanted to equip a level 4 augment like above, I needed to use augment kits 1 - 4 to get to that level.

Imagine my shock when after some update somewhere, I could just equip a MK-10 aug kit without needing 1-9. :cool: It was at that moment that aug kits became completely unnecessary in theory. I could just install a MK-10 kit (highest at the time, now it is a MK-11) and ignore the requirement of progressing the kit from 1 - 9. I still have a couple rows in my augment-kit-maker's hold that has a ton of MK-1 to 10 kits and components that I should sell to a vendor since they are now worthless. Every alt after that I just made 14 of the highest level kits and installed them as soon as they got their permanent orange gear.

So to answer the OP, you are correct - today aug kits are worthless but it is remnant of a legacy system that BW has never gotten rid of completely.

None of this makes sense to me. Historically, neither I nor anyone I knew kept augments up to date while leveling, whereas keeping mods/enhancements/etc. up to date was common. Augments were an endgame phenomenon only. It was very hard to obtain an augment slot, it had to be crafted gear only, and a critical craft. Once 1.3 rolled around (had to look that one up, I thought it was 1.2), the kits came out, and you could go directly to MK-6 without starting from 1, if I recall.

Aug kits were never *necessary*, tomorrow bioware could make every gear have augment slots by default, and get rid of the MK system and say all slots can hold all augments regardless of the levels involved -- that's how it was pre-1.3. But, aug slots are supposed to be a kind of commodity that costs value -- either having to craft enough of a thing to get a crit, or to pay cost + kit. At best, the only thing that's not necessary is the different MKs, like why have MK-1 and MK-2 kits when a MK-11 can also fit those augments? The answer is that a low level wouldn't want to pay a million credits for a MK-11 kit.

I'm not seeing exactly what here is a remnant of a legacy system.

Uhh, how long has it been since you played? Nothing has been Orange since 6.0 dropped...

I just went onto GTN looking for orange chestpieces and got 62 pages worth. Just bought the cheapest one to confirm and there is the empty augment slot so I don't know what you are talking about.

None of this makes sense to me. Historically, neither I nor anyone I knew kept augments up to date while leveling, whereas keeping mods/enhancements/etc. up to date was common. Augments were an endgame phenomenon only. It was very hard to obtain an augment slot, it had to be crafted gear only, and a critical craft. Once 1.3 rolled around (had to look that one up, I thought it was 1.2), the kits came out, and you could go directly to MK-6 without starting from 1, if I recall.

I was a crafter from day one so I kept my augments up to date as well as my mods. And whether or not anyone else used it like that, that was the system BW put in place. And yes it was 1 to whatever until the update (I don't remember which one) that you could put any level in.

Augment kits used to be cheap enough in GTN, but ever since crafting got nuked, the prices got stupid high. As long as we had steady suppliers of mats sellers (yes, even the bot harvested mats) and dedicated crafters in game, the prices were reasonable. They are not anymore. So yes, the kits should be removed from the game. I don't want to spend my game time in crafting anymore as it has become overly complicated and expensive, and I also don't want to buy a kit for 500k or more for gear that I need to upgrade soon anyhow. That's just insanity.

• 1 month later...
Not sure if you noticed, but used augments are bind to legacy now. All you have to do is rip it out of the old gear and put it into the new or put it in the legacy bank for an alt. You still have to make the kits, but still, this will save some effort and credits.

How exactly does this work. I have bound augments in my storage, I install in gear, pull back out, still bound.

They left an important part out. You have to put the aug into armor that is already bound to legacy. The augment itself isn't, but the armor you use to transfer it is.

They left an important part out. You have to put the aug into armor that is already bound to legacy. The augment itself isn't, but the armor you use to transfer it is.

Incorrect. The Augments themselves are Bind to Legacy. You can easily put them back into your legacy storage and use them on any armor piece that you put a kit on. Kits are bound to the armor piece you put it into, but the Augments are definitely Bound to legacy.

I keep a bunch of my used Augments in Storage for when I tinker with my characters stats.

Incorrect. The Augments themselves are Bind to Legacy. You can easily put them back into your legacy storage and use them on any armor piece that you put a kit on. Kits are bound to the armor piece you put it into, but the Augments are definitely Bound to legacy.

I keep a bunch of my used Augments in Storage for when I tinker with my characters stats.

which ones are you specifically talking about. I tested it before I posted. Some of the "superior" augs were still in armor and I ripped one out. it was very clearly still "bound"

not "bound by legacy"

I can't speak for the brand new ones, but I know for a fact that not ALL augments are bound by legacy.

Yeah I missed on a regular level 7 mob the other day. I'm 80 in 326 gear.

Good times.

No, you are not level 80 if the mob is level 7! That is the point of scaling!

The amount of just straight up wrong information I read in this thread is just insane. No, Flashpoint bosses do not have a "10% Miss chance" they have 10% defense chance which makes you miss, HUGE difference. All augments are, when installed in gear, bound to LEGACY otherwise you couldn't put them into your LEGACY cargo hold. Like for real are you people getting gear for every single character individually? Augmenting 306 garbage was just as bad as augmenting 326 gear, it just had a different color. This gearing system is honestly super easy, if you struggle you're either lazy or just didn't understand the system, someone said: "what if you get a random drop somewhere with a higher GS, your aug is just wasted" YEA thats why you get SIDEgrades, you never get upgrades as a drop.

Honestly... I'm just so disappointed by people giving opinions and just lying, just stop typing if you don't know what you are talking about.

which ones are you specifically talking about. I tested it before I posted. Some of the "superior" augs were still in armor and I ripped one out. it was very clearly still "bound"

I can't speak for the brand new ones, but I know for a fact that not ALL augments are bound by legacy.

It seems to 'depend'. Some old augments can be 'bound' if they were previously 'bound'. But any new augments you craft are BtL.

On topic - no, let's not get rid of augments. It's due to the generous use of Accuracy augments that my Gunslinger has 110% accuracy. This is mainly because there's no 330 accuracy Implants. 😏

It seems to 'depend'. Some old augments can be 'bound' if they were previously 'bound'. But any new augments you craft are BtL.

On topic - no, let's not get rid of augments. It's due to the generous use of Accuracy augments that my Gunslinger has 110% accuracy. This is mainly because there's no 330 accuracy Implants. 😏

Are they BTL only after ripped out?

I crafted some new High level blue Augments....286's or something.

Newly crafted they were..."normal" BOE

***just logged in to look again***

It is a newly crafted 276 and sure enough it is BTL.

I wonder when that change was made,

Nice

Edited by Darev

The level 80 gear should have MK-11 already installed. Given the static gear and difficulty in optimizing stats without augments, the costs on GTN or time to get mats/craft is unreasonable - especially with the increase in conquest target and nerfed rewards. I have maxed out my VM FP gear path and now looking to do MM FPs, but effectively need to be augmented to be deemed effective to many teams. 324 to 326 (and implants from 326 to 330) = 32 kits...

Another option might be to provide a CM perk that can be bought to negate need to add aug kits for level 80. I would pay a lot.

On SF, they are selling for 2m+ and the components are not much cheaper. I wish they would provide components for dcing 306 gear that has a kit installed. I craft/dc for them now but it is a huge pain with a lot of alts - logging in and out to keep pace on conquest or gear grind makes playing feel more like a job. I expect some time/effort to be involved but it is overly burdensome right now or too expensive.

The level 80 gear should have MK-11 already installed. Given the static gear and difficulty in optimizing stats without augments, the costs on GTN or time to get mats/craft is unreasonable - especially with the increase in conquest target and nerfed rewards. I have maxed out my VM FP gear path and now looking to do MM FPs, but effectively need to be augmented to be deemed effective to many teams. 324 to 326 (and implants from 326 to 330) = 32 kits...

Another option might be to provide a CM perk that can be bought to negate need to add aug kits for level 80. I would pay a lot.

On SF, they are selling for 2m+ and the components are not much cheaper. I wish they would provide components for dcing 306 gear that has a kit installed. I craft/dc for them now but it is a huge pain with a lot of alts - logging in and out to keep pace on conquest or gear grind makes playing feel more like a job. I expect some time/effort to be involved but it is overly burdensome right now or too expensive.

Or you just don't buy them and level up irl so you don't need them? Or you craft them yourself?

Or you just don't buy them and level up irl so you don't need them? Or you craft them yourself?

Looks like you quoted but didn't read. I do craft them but it is overly burdensome to do it. I have a lot of alts, all at lvl 80, so talking only about end-game gearing for harder content.

Looks like you quoted but didn't read. I do craft them but it is overly burdensome to do it. I have a lot of alts, all at lvl 80, so talking only about end-game gearing for harder content.

You only augment one set for all classes + earpiece and relics, you need 4 per class (MH, OH, Legendaries). So why does it matter that you have many alts, when you gear is legacy bound anyway.

Not counting tank and healer gear obviously, or sage pvp gear - stuff like this.

You only augment one set for all classes + earpiece and relics, you need 4 per class (MH, OH, Legendaries). So why does it matter that you have many alts, when you gear is legacy bound anyway.

Not counting tank and healer gear obviously, or sage pvp gear - stuff like this.

Yes, it is not as much an issue if you are willing to swap gear between alts each time. I am not a fan of doing that - each alt has their gear (and additional for 2nd combat style or spec change), but likely I need to be willing to do this to reduce the need for so many kits. That said, I still think they are an outdated, unnecessary, and expensive layer in managing gear at this point in the game's development.

.... I still think they are an outdated, unnecessary, and expensive layer in managing gear at this point in the game's development.

Um, couldn't you say that about any gear mod. "Implants and earpieces are outdated, unnecessary, and expensive." Etc.

Augments are simply part of the gearing process. Credits are designed to be used to buy augments (or mats, etc) not to be saved for your retirement. 😂

Yes, it is not as much an issue if you are willing to swap gear between alts each time. I am not a fan of doing that - each alt has their gear (and additional for 2nd combat style or spec change), but likely I need to be willing to do this to reduce the need for so many kits. That said, I still think they are an outdated, unnecessary, and expensive layer in managing gear at this point in the game's development.

I mean sure, you gear how you want. But you also had to do that in 6.0? I don't really see the difference.

I mean sure, you gear how you want. But you also had to do that in 6.0? I don't really see the difference.

Yes, to an extent. My issue is not with augs, but the kits. In 6.0 you could grind for your optimal set-up, duplicates for alts, and aug up one time. So much end-game content was capped at 70 it was not as necessary to aug up while grinding for your initial set up. While going from say 324 VM decurion to 326 via MMPFs (while upgrading implants) we're more compelled to aug what we have in order for the gearing to be deemed appropriate for the group. End result is that you are going through more kits than in 6.0 with all level 80 content and not as much command of stat optimization as in 6.0.

Why would it be a negative to the end-game player experience to remove the need for mk-11 kits as opposed to juggling gear between alts or other work-arounds to avoid the hassle/expense?

All for killing aug kits (not augments). Either that, or have the aug kits remain applied when you upgrade gear at the conquest, flashpoint, and operations vendors.

This. In 6.0, your Aug Kits were stable, in the gear shell as you upgraded. Now, they're burned.

It's worth noting this could be purposeful sabotage; Augs are one of the developers' primary pay-to-win mechanics: the plebes buy items from the Cash Shop, launder them into Credits, and purchase endgame Augs/Kits.

Crafting is a horrible slog, and EA effectively sells us Crafters' labor for cash.

It's a problem.

It's worth noting this could be purposeful sabotage; Augs are one of the developers' primary pay-to-win mechanics: the plebes buy items from the Cash Shop, launder them into Credits, and purchase endgame Augs/Kits.

Crafting is a horrible slog, and EA effectively sells us Crafters' labor for cash.

It's a problem.

I think it probably is purposeful. Not only does it help them generate more cash for the exact reason you've stated. But, it also help slightly throttle gear and overall progression. Something they clearly needed go heavy on with the lack of content delivered in 7.0.