Abilities on the quick bars resetting every time I switch between combat styles?

Ruhj

Its been clarified on their official twitch stream and here on the forums. You didn't need to be on the PTS to know how it was going to work because they told us how it was going to work.

Also, you can't switch willy nilly in instanced content so the whole stealth thing isn't going to be much of a thing.

Copy. Doesn't mean I like it though. They had a chance to do something cool and ground breaking in the MMO space, and instead did something akin to WoW's class homogenization, and negated character and class uniqueness in favor of catering to casuals.

Oh well, at least it's something you can ignore if you want to.

I wish it would also save keybinds to your loadouts. Not everyone uses the same keybind set for every class... which is why they added the keybind import/export feature a long time ago.

Hell, some of my classes have completely different ability bar setups for healing or whatever, this whole loadout/combat styles thing just feels very sloppy and poorly thought out. Was kind of expecting something like just swapping weapons in ESO and instantly everything swaps over, but then I remembered that this is SWTOR and the game barely runs as is, lmao.

Edited by QuiveringPotato

Same for me

Terrible testing, how the **** this passed QA

This bug was still present in the latest PTS build 3 weeks ago, I'm not really sure they have a QA team anymore, maybe they just rely on pts people to bugtest for them or something, wouldn't surprise me at this point given the state of the update that made it live.

Why do people keep thinking this? That would have been incredibly broken and we have known this wasn't the case for 6 months.

Presumably because it would have been new and fascinating. I never succumbed to this illusion myself, but it was a tempting one nonetheless. :)

Edited by JojoKasei

Because why bother if that's not the case? I can already switch to my alts without breaking my whole UI and disabling my gear. Why would you add the same option except broken, and tout it as something new and exciting?

The entire point was to remove the base classes so people could play a sniper on their trooper if they wanted to. That's all it was. The entire "secondary" style though was kinda pointless imo. I appreciate the loadouts though. Shame they are broken atm.

Being able to mix classes would have been incredibly broken.

Edited by Raansu

Wow, I thought we could just mix and match the abilities from our combat styles, when instead its just a straight up class switch which is pretty underwhelming. I already have characters for other classes. Overall very disappointed with this update.

Nobody thought that; they've said months ago that that's not how it worked.

In a related note; I think people who say something to the effect of "If I wanted to play a different class, I'd just play that class" are kind of missing the point. What if I like the agent story but hate the class? Play it as a vanguard or powertech or something. Boom. That's a feature, not just "all I care about is the grind, not the story." As for having a second class for each character, I admit that I don't really see the point except for one thing; all of my tech characters will add either Operative or Scoundrel and all of my force characters will add either shadow or assassin. Not because I like any of those classes, because actually I don't. But because I want the option to stealth past the ridiculously obnoxious trash mobs.

• 1 month later...
I got it figured out! Finally lol If you setup everything the way you like it and make a new loadout for each combat style, you can just go directly to the Loadout screen and highlight the loadout you want then, hit activate. All your quick bar abilities come back in place and it automatically changes to the other combat styles from there. My mistake was going to the Combat Styles Tab, then trying to switch loadouts after that. Boy do I feel dumb :) Hopefully this may help some of you who might not know that yet lol

Duuuuude! Thank you! So much!

Still having a hard time getting the hang of it though, gotta set things up for the alternate one, and I can't delete any Loadouts that were just attempts to get it to work, but thanks to your comment, I can now switch from Hatred Assassin to Vigilance Guardian on my Sith Inquisitor. They seriously need to make Loadouts more comprehensive.