Whats the best secondary class for a Merc?

Seyyah

There is no one best, it depends on what you intend to do.

I think most people will be picking a stealth option for their secondary to bypass content and whatnot... as for me ill be picking the options that give me the most ways to play, such as being able to dps, tank, and heal on a single character.

You have a merc because you want to play a merc.

But let me tell you,low level PVE is considerably faster if you don't facetank every mob in the way but simply abuse a stealth class to trivialise it all.

Unless you have a plan for a hardcore merc/somethingelse combo for X endgame content that will benefit from you being able to swap slightly faster than relogging then get yourself an operative/scoundrel as the secondary class and get daily/weekly casual PVE done much faster.

Chances are we'll get a plague of stealth rats once people realise they can get a full level stealth class for free to go with their full level original not-stealth class.

If you pick Gunslinger, you won't have to worry about changing MH/OH, which saves you on gearing costs. Replace your legendary implant(s) and you are good to go.

If you pick Scoundrel, you will be able to retain the same mainhand. You won't be able to save as much on gearing, but you do get stealth.

If you pick Powertech, you can still retain the same MH for dps disciplines, and gain the ability to tank, heal, or dps.

Edited by phalczen

Personally just pick a class that fits your playstyle, and what your looking to do with the 2nd combat style. As a merc, you can rdps or heal, so whatever class you want should be fine. If you choose PT you will also have the option to tank, or melee dps, but if those are not your playstyle, I'd choose something else.

I'm sure we're going to see a lot of people automatically choosing (and others demanding we all take) Stealth classes for the 2nd one (I won't), but in truth choose what you like to play, and not what others want you to play.

Edited by Toraak

I think the best choice for everyone is to have a stealther as secondary class. What you also can do is cover all the specs like have a dps/heal/tank. So if you have a Merc which can be a healer/dps then you could get a an assasin as a stealther and tank possibility.

You have these options for merc:

1. Same weapons, easiest gearing - Gunslinger

2. Stealth class, fastest soloing - Scoundrel (uses a pistol, also requires a shotgun)

3. Adding a tank role, most versatile - Powertech (uses a pistol, also requires a generator)

I think the best choice for everyone is to have a stealther as secondary class. What you also can do is cover all the specs like have a dps/heal/tank. So if you have a Merc which can be a healer/dps then you could get a an assasin as a stealther and tank possibility.

Force classes and tech classes aren't shared. If he were to get stealth as a merc it would have to be from an operative / scoundrel class. But if he does that he forgoes the capability to tank, if he wants it.

To answer the OP. Normally I say grab something with stealth. If you really need to tank, you can get on an alt. Assuming you even want to tank. A role that while very important is still the least used roll which comes down to 1 or 2 tanks at most per group content compared to dps or even heals.

However if you are set on doing it all on a single character for some reason, well then you already answered your own question. Far as why stealth? It's Godly. The amount of time saved skipping pointless encounters should never be underestimated.

Last but not least is the play style, and what you like. Again alts, are better for this in my opinion. I'd rather have stealth but if you just don't like a play style that stealth classes have well nothing anyone can do. But that's subjective and we can't answer it for you.

Edited by Setta

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t combat style switching restricted to being out of a phase? Obviously I understand the benefits of stealth, but supposing a scenario in a flashpoint or operation, heck even a phase area for a class story mission, even if you stealthed and bypassed all the adds up to a boss, and then went to fleet to change combat styles, when you re-entered the phase, wouldn’t you have to run through all those mobs again? You don’t zone in to the exact spot you left.

I mean doesn’t this just force you to use the stealth class in question for the entire encounter? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of playing the combat style you enjoy?

Edited by phalczen

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t combat style switching restricted to being out of a phase? Obviously I understand the benefits of stealth, but supposing a scenario in a flashpoint or operation, heck even a phase area for a class story mission, even if you stealthed and bypassed all the adds up to a boss, and then went to fleet to change combat styles, when you re-entered the phase, wouldn’t you have to run through all those mobs again? You don’t zone in to the exact spot you left.

I mean doesn’t this just force you to use the stealth class in question for the entire encounter? Doesn’t that defeat the purpose of playing the combat style you enjoy?

Yup, class change is limited to outside any instance.

Unless the instance is staged and there's special reason to leave, re-class and re-enter you're highly likely to do it on whatever you started with with whatever benefits and downsides that means.

The prime example of class swapping is operations which will present a number of bosses and respawn points and maybe your group is organised enough to benefit from a class swap between bosses.

Normally that is done with a relog and sometimes a guild summon to yoink the player who was swapping to the instance faster.

Probably still will be done like that since your class options are locked to 2 and people who swap classes mid-operation often have a lot more than 2 classes they play and it's not a deal breaker.

Edited by Gyronamics

Yes to being out of phase. However short of ops stealth is pretty much king. Heroics / Story content? Check stealth past what you don't need, cc mobs next to objective, and quickly kill what you do. Aggro'd to much by accident, or fight is harder than you thought for some reason? Stealth back out of combat, heal up, and finish off the rest. Flash points? Also check. Group of 4 skips past 98% of the mobs, assassin / shadow tanks, operative / scoundrel heals, (in vet this is even easier thanks to koltos) flash point done in a fraction of the time (until Bioware wises up and puts significant rewards for bonuses being achieved) Even if someone isn't a stealth class with 2 stealthers (which there will now be a ton more of) you could cc the right mobs to skip most of it. It doesn't work on droids, hence why all stealthers are preferable, but people will still be skipping a lot more things than they are now.

PvP stealth classes are great, as well, but I can understand arguments being made here. Honestly short of raid content stealth is just king. The only thing I can not account for is just preference. If you don't like the playstyle then don't do it, why waste a combat style on something you're going to hate. However my honest opinion is that unless you're anti alt or something, it's just better to have stealth as the back up and if you like a different combat style, that's what an alt is for. But again this is just my opinion, everyone will have their own.

Yes to being out of phase. However short of ops stealth is pretty much king. Heroics / Story content? Check stealth past what you don't need, cc mobs next to objective, and quickly kill what you do. Aggro'd to much by accident, or fight is harder than you thought for some reason? Stealth back out of combat, heal up, and finish off the rest. Flash points? Also check. Group of 4 skips past 98% of the mobs, assassin / shadow tanks, operative / scoundrel heals, (in vet this is even easier thanks to koltos) flash point done in a fraction of the time (until Bioware wises up and puts significant rewards for bonuses being achieved) Even if someone isn't a stealth class with 2 stealthers (which there will now be a ton more of) you could cc the right mobs to skip most of it. It doesn't work on droids, hence why all stealthers are preferable, but people will still be skipping a lot more things than they are now.

PvP stealth classes are great, as well, but I can understand arguments being made here. Honestly short of raid content stealth is just king. The only thing I can not account for is just preference. If you don't like the playstyle then don't do it, why waste a combat style on something you're going to hate. However my honest opinion is that unless you're anti alt or something, it's just better to have stealth as the back up and if you like a different combat style, that's what an alt is for. But again this is just my opinion, everyone will have their own.

Remember they said in a post a long time ago, that you would no longer be able to stealth out of combat when 7.0 comes out. While we could still do this on the PTS, I'm not sure if it was a bug or not. Using Force cloak was supposed to keep you in combat when used.

At the risk of being ... contrarian and controversial and other adjectives beginning with "contr-", I'm going to advise you that the best one for *you* to take is the one *you* like best playing.

Why?

Well, first of all, it's *your* character. Of course, you can and maybe should seek our collective advice about what each one brings to the table, but in the end, if you don't like class X for some reason, and we say that X is the so-called best, maybe you'll just reject our advice, in which case you've wasted your time asking us, or you'll try it anyway, and end up never using it, in which case you've wasted your time asking us.

So play the others *now*, and see how you like them, and then decide which one suits *you* the best, because it's the one that you'll *want* to stick with.

At the risk of being ... contrarian and controversial and other adjectives beginning with "contr-", I'm going to advise you that the best one for *you* to take is the one *you* like best playing.

Why?

Well, first of all, it's *your* character. Of course, you can and maybe should seek our collective advice about what each one brings to the table, but in the end, if you don't like class X for some reason, and we say that X is the so-called best, maybe you'll just reject our advice, in which case you've wasted your time asking us, or you'll try it anyway, and end up never using it, in which case you've wasted your time asking us.

So play the others *now*, and see how you like them, and then decide which one suits *you* the best, because it's the one that you'll *want* to stick with.

^ This is the best advice right here.

Like Toraak said, the “intent” is that come 7.0 in combat stealth will drop aggro but not take you out of combat. I can confirm that it was fully dropping out of combat still on PTS, but there isn’t any clear indication whether that is the new intent or not.

But my point still stands. If the vast majority of encounters in flashpoints, class stories, planetary heroics, etc. are logistically set up so that it is impossible to phase out, change style, and phase back in to the exact same spot, you are essentially forced to play the boss in the stealth style. Overall, I think that’s suboptimal. The devs must think so too since they are forcing combat style changes out of phase.

Look, I leveled a Jedi Knight on PTS as an infiltration shadow combat style. Phased areas were trivialized because of stealth, but I wouldn’t say that it was my favorite style. The bottom line is that the player has already picked the style they want to play... namely a merc. Now they are looking for things that complement that style. Giving advice like “try out different tech advanced classes now” and “play what you want” are fair enough recommendations, but the OP is looking for things that COMPLEMENT the style they will have as primary. Hence, the comments about mainhand/offhand considerations, tanking considerations, and the like, is directly addressing the question at hand.

But my point still stands. If the vast majority of encounters in flashpoints, class stories, planetary heroics, etc. are logistically set up so that it is impossible to phase out, change style, and phase back in to the exact same spot, you are essentially forced to play the boss in the stealth style.

Yes, you would fight the boss as an assassin / shadow or operative / scoundrel. I never claimed otherwise. What I did say is that you would save a ton of time running FPs. And since gear grind is going to be a real thing soon again, saving time and doing things quickly will help a lot. Both for FPs and Heroics which will count towards conquest gear.

Far as people quoting me and then saying OP should play what he likes, ya I addressed that several times when I said if he doesn't like the play style of stealthers which is a subjective thing than he should pick something else. Or if he doesn't like playing alts and wants to do it all on one character (tank, heal, dps) than he should pick something else. I said that multiple times in fact throughout my posts.

But if he doesn't care and just wants advice for what will help him out the most, then it's stealth. That's not an opinion it's pretty much a fact. It will save you time and help you gear faster and meet your conquest goals faster. Even if it no longer removes you from combat, it's pretty much irrelevant if you don't F up.

Edited by Setta

to me stealth doesn't necessarily help meet conquest goals faster depending on how the person gets conquest.

If they mainly do it with heroics, then stealthing by everything will mean not bothering with the rampages. For myself when I do conquest on planets getting the 75 kills (which is quick, depending on the class you are) is definitely worth doing for the 12k+ conquest. Stealthing past everything will mean less kills, but you will need to do 2-3 additional heroics on a planet to compensate for the fact you skipped everything. those 2-3 extra heroics could actually take more time, then quickly killing the 75 mobs.

If all your doing is FP and picking a stealth character for that, you need to realize that it will get you through the FP faster, but do you enjoy the character? For me I like healing FP's, but I can't stand the Operative healer, so for me personally it's not worth healing on that class, and I don't queu as DPS, since it takes forever to get a MM FP in that role. I also can't stand the Assassin tank personally, so that would leave me only as a DPS for stealth, and I'd rather just wait for a guild group, and run the specs I like to play at that point.