Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Any chance we will be able to play swtor on Xbox X/S with 7.0?

TrixxieTriss

Now to be clear, I’m not suggesting an engine port to console or redoing the code or UI to accommodate console controllers.

What I’m suggesting is using one of three methods or all 3 to make this work.

Microsoft already have native support for keyboard and mouse on Xbox X/S and PC games being supported

(Admittedly this link is for Xbox One, but it’s the same principle) https://www.windowscentral.com/list-xbox-one-mouse-and-keyboard-games

Xbox X/S are basically highend PCs these days that are higher spec than many PC systems currently playing swtor.

The other thing to consider is the OS on Xbox is basically the same OS Kernel as Win 10 (with some limitations).

Of course BioWare would need to do a little bit of work, ie make a launcher and gain access through Microsoft store or EA play to download and patch the game. But they’ve done that before to get onto Steam. So it’s not beyond their ability.

And as long as BioWare state it’s best effort and requires a mouse and keyboard, I can only see an upside for the accessibility for to the game to gain more players who often have to choose between console or PC hardware.

Other options are nvidia’s experience or google stadia. But I can see google as the most problematic to implement and I’ll admit I don’t know enough about nvidia experience to know how hard that would be.

What do you guys think? If you had an Xbox X/S and could play swtor, would you use it? This is especially aimed at players who are considering a PC upgrade or Xbox purchase in the future.

Can someone explain me please how you're going to play it on Xbox? The entire combat system in SWTOR is based on clicking numbers on keyboard which are corresponding with your chosen abilities, which require a PC or laptop.

Might be a good idea to read the whole post.

You’ll notice that I said Xbox X/S supports keyboard and mouse natively. And that the OS is basically Windows 10.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I highly doubt this will be possible.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I recall from a while back Microsoft insisting that players of Xbox content have to have their own servers where they are not able to interact with players on other platforms. If this is still the case then there is zero incentive for EA/Bioware to invest in several Xbox only servers.

You’ll notice that I said Xbox X/S supports keyboard and mouse natively. And that the OS is basically Windows 10.

What kind of architecture does xbox use? Honest question, I never owned any console.

But if it's the same as PC, I see no reason why the game shouldn't work.

Xbox OS being Windows 10 is not a good indication though, because Microsoft is releasing it also for ARM (very recent surfaces), SWTOR doesn't work on ARM and I very highly doubt they'll ever make a port.

Can someone explain me please how you're going to play it on Xbox? The entire combat system in SWTOR is based on clicking numbers on keyboard which are corresponding with your chosen abilities, which require a PC or laptop.

with mouse and keyboard. The Xbox One X has limited support for that. It will take something from Microsoft and BW to make this happen though.

At the same time Black Desert Online also made a port to consoles so it is possible. I just don't like controllers.

What kind of architecture does xbox use? Honest question, I never owned any console.

But if it's the same as PC, I see no reason why the game shouldn't work.

Xbox OS being Windows 10 is not a good indication though, because Microsoft is releasing it also for ARM (very recent surfaces), SWTOR doesn't work on ARM and I very highly doubt they'll ever make a port.

Xbox uses a AMD Zen 3 processor and onboard AMD graphics card.

Given that it takes them way too long to put out any kind of content for just the PC, I honestly hope they are not working on a version. Spending time and resources out of development and creation of content, just to make a port...and hope it works...and fix all the bugs that will happen, is too much for me.

As it is, we have very little content coming out per month, with the current content 'Galactic Season' just making us redo content, heroics, kill mobs, over and over not really being new content in most people's minds. In fact, the real new content isn't until 'holiday time', which could mean November, December, and will more than likely run late.

If EA had decided that SWTOR is the way it should go, and put in a lot more resources and developmental power into it (rather than what happened with Anthem), and we were getting new and meaningful content each month, I would consider it.

Honestly I think it is coming to a point there is going to be a port to the consoles. Not sure when but it will be coming to tap into the console market of players who would spend more money in the cartel market than people realize. In those terms they will eventually do it not to mention with all the MMOs now on console I could see Swtor doing it before WoW ports over all because of EA wanting more money.

Given that it takes them way too long to put out any kind of content for just the PC, I honestly hope they are not working on a version. Spending time and resources out of development and creation of content, just to make a port...and hope it works...and fix all the bugs that will happen, is too much for me.

As it is, we have very little content coming out per month, with the current content 'Galactic Season' just making us redo content, heroics, kill mobs, over and over not really being new content in most people's minds. In fact, the real new content isn't until 'holiday time', which could mean November, December, and will more than likely run late.

If EA had decided that SWTOR is the way it should go, and put in a lot more resources and developmental power into it (rather than what happened with Anthem), and we were getting new and meaningful content each month, I would consider it.

Why is reading so hard. I’m not suggesting a port. I specifically said that wasn’t what I was asking about.

All BioWare would have to do is make a launcher and get access to Microsoft store / EA play store so that the game could be downloaded and installed on “compatible” Xbox models.

Remember, Xbox now uses a version of Windows 10 (Xbox uses PC hardware) and you can already play some PC “only” games on Xbox because Microsoft added them to the stores. They are exactly the same versions, wether you download to PC or Xbox.

I would even suggest that most of the resources used to accomplish this would be administration and negotiation between managers of BioWare, Microsoft and EA. The actual devs wouldn’t be involved in that and so no resources would be diverted from other tasks, like new content.

Just to be clear :

1. Xbox X/S is a customised PC using AMD Zen 2 hardware

2. Xbox uses a version of Windows 10 that can theoretically work on any Zen 2 AMD APU PC. The only thing preventing it is accessibility and a custom Bios on the system that Microsoft use to stop people making their own homemade Xbox.

3. Xbox X/S has native keyboard and mouse support (so you don’t need to port to console controllers).

4. The main thing preventing swtor being used on Xbox is a deal with Microsoft and a custom loader to install it on Xbox.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Why is reading so hard. I’m not suggesting a port. I specifically said that wasn’t what I was asking about.
Because some people only read the title, make assumptions about the meaning of it and go with that.

All BioWare would have to do is make a launcher and get access to Microsoft store / EA play store so that the game could be downloaded and installed on “compatible” Xbox models.

I think that's oversimplifying things a little bit but it doesn't compare to making a port to use controllers in any case. The issue is however that if they make it available on Xbox they will want BW to make a port for controllers. So I don't think they can avoid doing that.

The issue is however that if they make it available on Xbox they will want BW to make a port for controllers. So I don't think they can avoid doing that.

That’s not true. They currently have PC games on Xbox that only use keyboard and mouse.

Microsoft have realised they can get more people to buy the Xbox if they allow PC only games to work on Xbox without needlessly porting it to console controls. This is the direction Microsoft are moving in.

That’s not true. They currently have PC games on Xbox that only use keyboard and mouse.

Microsoft have realised they can get more people to buy the Xbox if they allow PC only games to work on Xbox without needlessly porting it to console controls. This is the direction Microsoft are moving in.

I stand corrected then. I learned something new today :)

The credibility of a claim like this would be helped if you provided examples of Xbox games that only use keyboard and mouse that people can verify for themselves if so inclined. I generally treat statements like this with a grain of salt unless somebody takes the time to provide evidence in support.

If the barrier between playing on PC and playing on current Xbox generation consoles is as low as you suggest then it would seem like a good move on BioWare's part to make SWTOR available on Xbox and increase potential player pool and revenue generation opportunity for the game. Of course, that is only if it is true that it really would not take that much effort on BioWare's part.

The credibility of a claim like this would be helped if you provided examples of Xbox games that only use keyboard and mouse that people can verify for themselves if so inclined. I generally treat statements like this with a grain of salt unless somebody takes the time to provide evidence in support.

If the barrier between playing on PC and playing on current Xbox generation consoles is as low as you suggest then it would seem like a good move on BioWare's part to make SWTOR available on Xbox and increase potential player pool and revenue generation opportunity for the game. Of course, that is only if it is true that it really would not take that much effort on BioWare's part.

Google is your friend.

Here's a link: https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/xbox-one-games-mouse-and-keyboard-support/

Keeping in mind that is for Xbox One hardware and Xbox One designed games, so it’s a good example, just not 100% what I mean (even though it still uses the Windows 10 kernel OS).

The new Xbox X/S uses the same sort of software, but better hardware and the line is blurring more between console ports and actual PC games that can be played on the newer Xbox systems.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Keeping in mind that is for Xbox One hardware and Xbox One designed games, so it’s a good example, just not 100% what I mean (even though it still uses the Windows 10 kernel OS).

The new Xbox X/S uses the same sort of software, but better hardware and the line is blurring more between console ports and actual PC games that can be played on the newer Xbox systems.

Well you told the other guy to google it, so I tried it and that's the first thing that came up. Perhaps it would be wiser to provide links yourself if people come up with things that aren't 100% what you meant. Just a friendly and honest suggestion.

Well you told the other guy to google it, so I tried it and that's the first thing that came up. Perhaps it would be wiser to provide links yourself if people come up with things that aren't 100% what you meant. Just a friendly and honest suggestion.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciated the post and contribution, I wasn’t criticising it. I just wanted to make sure the other posters didn’t misinterpret it. I’m sorry if my response came across as harsh. It certainly wasn’t my intent.

Google is your friend.

That is unfortunate. You're the one trying to convince people that there are games that are played with keyboard and mouse on Xbox. I'm not going to go search for that because I'm not the one trying to convince people this can be done and will work for SWTOR.

That is unfortunate. You're the one trying to convince people that there are games that are played with keyboard and mouse on Xbox. I'm not going to go search for that because I'm not the one trying to convince people this can be done and will work for SWTOR.

If you can’t be bothered to google it, that’s your problem, not mine. My original post was for BioWare to find out if they are considering this. I’m sure they already have all the relevant data to find out. So I don’t need to provide links for them.

If you want to know something more than I’ve said. Then please use your own initiative and google it.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciated the post and contribution, I wasn’t criticising it. I just wanted to make sure the other posters didn’t misinterpret it. I’m sorry if my response came across as harsh. It certainly wasn’t my intent.

Oh I know, but telling people to google it, usually doesn't give the results that you would want. One of the reasons being that google pushes different results forward for individual people because the AI behind it that analyses your search behaviour.

And also it would require a person to have a complete understanding of what you meant...which is (almost) never the case in forums.

So my point simply was that for anyone to tell people to just google it, will not yield the results you would intend with it, so it probably isn't the best approach. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.