Why Continue To Play SWTOR?

QDMcGraw

Nice post, OP. I like your satire. I didn't really read the rest of the thread. It's TLDR sorry.

I agree with what you are saying. There is an evolution to the online gamer.

Many gamers who are coming from WoW are showing signs that people that played Ragnarok Online did back in 2004-2005 or so. This happens for any MMORPG after about 4-5 years of playing. That was just the first case I noticed probably because I was in that group of people.

As far as Ragnarok Online was concerned... "I had played since beta! I was 99 when rebirth came out! I 99ed the second time again, I was in the elite circle. I had a character in the winning team for the championship. I was serious business man!"

What happened? Well for lack of better words I grew up. This is less in the sense of age and more in the sense of mindset. You see if you play a game for a long time you get kind of attached to it. It gets harder to move on to other games. Then this new shiny game comes out and you might actually enjoy it. But you are not over your first game, whatever game it is so you trash this new game. This new game is a threat, it makes you realize that you just wasted so much time on that other game.

Myself, I got over that phase back in 2005. No MMORPG can live up to you first MMORPG whatever that game happened to be. WoW just happened to be a lot people's first MMORPG as well. If you think about that then the current events are not surprising at all.

May be the force be with you, OP. (I just happen to be a SW geek at heart as well. :D)

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice post, OP. I like your satire. I didn't really read the rest of the thread. It's TLDR sorry.

I agree with what you are saying. There is an evolution to the online gamer.

Many gamers who are coming from WoW are showing signs that people that played Ragnarok Online did back in 2004-2005 or so. This happens for any MMORPG after about 4-5 years of playing. That was just the first case I noticed probably because I was in that group of people.

As far as Ragnarok Online was concerned... "I had played since beta! I was 99 when rebirth came out! I 99ed the second time again, I was in the elite circle. I had a character in the winning team for the championship. I was serious business man!"

What happened? Well for lack of better words I grew up. This is less in the sense of age and more in the sense of mindset. You see if you play a game for a long time you get kind of attached to it. It gets harder to move on to other games. Then this new shiny game comes out and you might actually enjoy it. But you are not over your first game, whatever game it is so you trash this new game. This new game is a threat, it makes you realize that you just wasted so much time on that other game.

Myself, I got over that phase back in 2005. No MMORPG can live up to you first MMORPG whatever that game happened to be. WoW just happened to be a lot people's first MMORPG as well. If you think about that then the current events are not surprising at all.

May be the force be with you, OP. (I just happen to be a SW geek at heart as well. :D)

Are we talking about computer games or the first GF you fell in love with who broke your heart hahaha

I'm very glad you understood it all and know how it all works. There's hope for the future yet! I do believe this game is going to keep a large core of it's players after the 20th. Many that are saying they are quitting on the forums are only doing so for a sense of attention to their needs in game and honestly feel a change will come if they threaten to leave. This mindset has been active since I first started playing the genre of MMO back in 99.

Will they leave? Quite possibly. back then there weren't many games to choose from, but now, there are tons. considering that Sci-Fi only makes up about 2% of the MMO world in terms of subs, maybe, just maybe, Star Wars can bring that up some.

I came from FFXI. Sorry dude your wow mentality sucks royally. Wow sucks, it created a stupid concept of how easy a MMORPG should be, it created players who can't play without addons to help them to play. I despise everything that comes from wow.

Switch WoW with FFXI and all references to WoW to FFXI and read it in it's entirety.

I know it's the 'in thing' to bash on posts when arriving the a thread, this whole thread is an attempt to change the overall personality of the forums. Sure, we both know this is just spit in a pond, but it's a move in the right direction, and there has been some great back and forth in this with not a whole lot of negativity.

Give it a try! Be a part of the conversation instead of a fart in a crowded elevator.

Switch WoW with FFXI and all references to WoW to FFXI and read it in it's entirety.

I know it's the 'in thing' to bash on posts when arriving the a thread, this whole thread is an attempt to change the overall personality of the forums. Sure, we both know this is just spit in a pond, but it's a move in the right direction, and there has been some great back and forth in this with not a whole lot of negativity.

Give it a try! Be a part of the conversation instead of a fart in a crowded elevator.

I've noticed several instances of " I do not know how to critically think and must be told to substitute WoW for (insert MMORPG name here)"

What happened to peoples own sense of thought

sounds like your life sucks :(

No sounds more like he enjoys a $300 dollar bottle of wine and learned to savor it, rather than guzzle a $300 dollar bottle of wine down his throat like a wino would a $1.75 bottle of wine so that he could be the loudest most obnoxiouse know it all at the party.

I have to laugh because it's SO obvious who didn't bother to read your post and just responded with their normal drivel.

And I have to 100% agree.

I grew up playing UO to be honest though, not WoW. (I played WoW too but that is a different story)

I played UO for FIVE YEARS. I mean that was a looong time to play a video game back then. And honestly UO is the perfect example and the original "Show off your E-Peen" MMO, not WoW.

Need I say bank sitting in Brit with your Shadow Mare and your phoenix or shadow armor?

Or how about the E-Peening that went on with peoples houses in UO. Didnt get a castle spot when land was available? To bad. If you didn't have a huge house spot in UO you were DIRT, or lower then dirt.

And i quit, and i went back, and quit, etc etc etc. I must have re-subbed to that game about a million times, because holy cow did I invest a lot of time in it, and in the end it was for absolutely nothing. I have nothing to show for YEARS of time invested.

Good post OP.

Are we talking about computer games or the first GF you fell in love with who broke your heart hahaha

Relationships are another thing that people have a hard time moving on from. It happens with just about anything that you've put a lot of time and investment into. :p

I have to laugh because it's SO obvious who didn't bother to read your post and just responded with their normal drivel.

And I have to 100% agree.

I grew up playing UO to be honest though, not WoW. (I played WoW too but that is a different story)

I played UO for FIVE YEARS. I mean that was a looong time to play a video game back then. And honestly UO is the perfect example and the original "Show off your E-Peen" MMO, not WoW.

Need I say bank sitting in Brit with your Shadow Mare and your phoenix or shadow armor?

Or how about the E-Peening that went on with peoples houses in UO. Didnt get a castle spot when land was available? To bad. If you didn't have a huge house spot in UO you were DIRT, or lower then dirt.

And i quit, and i went back, and quit, etc etc etc. I must have re-subbed to that game about a million times, because holy cow did I invest a lot of time in it, and in the end it was for absolutely nothing. I have nothing to show for YEARS of time invested.

Good post OP.

Seems the thing you've got to show for it is a lesson? I dunno

I've noticed several instances of " I do not know how to critically think and must be told to substitute WoW for (insert MMORPG name here)"

What happened to peoples own sense of thought

Yes, I came out with the strong Troll Fu right from the start to elicit an emotional response. Astonishingly, many couldn't make it past that. I'm not quite sure what it means, aside from the personality of the forums to post fast without merit and move on.

What I love most about this game, is that it doesn't give that "mouse chasing the cheese in the maze" kinda feeling, sure I love playing it but I have no problem stopping to do other stuff because "I have to get this done first" etc. You know the feeling, when you get caught up in something reality looks at you impatiently, your laundry is waiting for you to finish it or (insert reason you shouldn't be playing right now).

I enjoy logging in doing a few hours and logging out again to do tons of other things. I played wow but never to the psychotic lengths that OP did. I even managed to raid quite alot (thank you pugging I love you) and join a guild that would let me be a replacement when I was online, filling slots of raid members who were sick or couldn't login due to some problem.

It's possible to enjoy an MMO without letting it rule your life, if your addicted to mmo's like a madman and just "have to get on top" your not just an addict for mmo's, your an addict to everything. Meaning that whatever "bad" habit you might pick up, you would most likely keep doing without thought of stopping. With a little willpower and by simply making sure your "not doing" something all the frickin time, you can easily control any habit you have (granted crack might be a harder one to control) but you get the point.

So have to disagree with you OP, every persons reason for playing an mmo are different and yours is obviously to show people you are leet. I just enjoy playing games with other people and I'm taking every second of dialogue without space spamming, I played since before release and I have 2 chars, lvl 24 and 26. You hate it cuz you rushed past all the dialogue and found yourself alone in a game where the community haven't even settled in yet.

Yes I read the entire text wall.

No sounds more like he enjoys a $300 dollar bottle of wine and learned to savor it, rather than guzzle a $300 dollar bottle of wine down his throat like a wino would a $1.75 bottle of wine so that he could be the loudest most obnoxiouse know it all at the party.

Is it wrong to want the $1.75 bottle.

Seems the thing you've got to show for it is a lesson? I dunno

Yeah i suppose it was a lesson. And I STILL didn't learn.

I admit it, im an MMO addict. I had to explain to the wife the other day why i NEEDED a new computer to play SWTOR. Oh it worked "OK" on the laptop, but I dropped 2.5k on a new desktop.

WHY? I have no idea. Because I am an addict.

What I love most about this game, is that it doesn't give that "mouse chasing the cheese in the maze" kinda feeling, sure I love playing it but I have no problem stopping to do other stuff because "I have to get this done first" etc. You know the feeling, when you get caught up in something reality looks at you impatiently, your laundry is waiting for you to finish it or (insert reason you shouldn't be playing right now).

I enjoy logging in doing a few hours and logging out again to do tons of other things. I played wow but never to the psychotic lengths that OP did. I even managed to raid quite alot (thank you pugging I love you) and join a guild that would let me be a replacement when I was online, filling slots of raid members who were sick or couldn't login due to some problem.

It's possible to enjoy an MMO without letting it rule your life, if your addicted to mmo's like a madman and just "have to get on top" your not just an addict for mmo's, your an addict to everything. Meaning that whatever "bad" habit you might pick up, you would most likely keep doing without thought of stopping. With a little willpower and by simply making sure your "not doing" something all the frickin time, you can easily control any habit you have (granted crack might be a harder one to control) but you get the point.

So have to disagree with you OP, every persons reason for playing an mmo are different and yours is obviously to show people you are leet. I just enjoy playing games with other people and I'm taking every second of dialogue without space spamming, I played since before release and I have 2 chars, lvl 24 and 26. You hate it cuz you rushed past all the dialogue and found yourself alone in a game where the community haven't even settled in yet.

Yes I read the entire text wall.

Actually, I'm only 24, 17 and 13. I haven't rushed past anything. There was an underlying message of passing the torch on to the next wave of hardcore gamers as I'm just not that into it anymore.

Actually, I'm only 24, 17 and 13. I haven't rushed past anything. There was an underlying message of passing the torch on to the next wave of hardcore gamers as I'm just not that into it anymore.

It's hard to be that into it. It really takes a lot of your time to be.

I've applied my hardcore obsessiveness to my real life and its amazing at what can be accomplished with that kind of focus.

TL;DR. No way I'm reading all of that.

I facepalm so hard at the first 5 or so pages of people saying this. This was an interesting post, which I am glad to have read. The fact that so many people have decided not to even attempt to read, or just 'guess' what the OP is saying is a sad indication of the type of gamer today.