Ability Delay -- Character Responsiveness (This will make or break SW:TOR)

Xcore

I am currently in the theater for Sherlock2 but catching up with the thread I just want to really make clear that Boobafett has absolutely no grasp of the problem, I believe this to be his inability to see the difference between instant and .1-3 delay. I hope Georg disregards his analysis of this problem as it is "completely" uninformed.

Fallenvirtues is halfway there, the only problem is that he still believe that he does not have a delay problem in certain cases that others do. However he does see a general problem and that is an important distinction.

I mist point out again and make sure everyone understands that "everyone" has the exact same delay and animation problems regardless of your ability to realize or notice this.

This is very hard to accept but important to understand to get this resolved... Sorry no replies from me for a bit. Happy new year all!

Well my question is this. If I don't have a problem firing off a ability as soon as my GCD is up every time (unless it just doesn't go off at all) am I having this problem?? (Outside of pvp).

Everytime I use a ability on my comp at home, it fires off immediately (unless it doesn't work at all). I don't have problem interupting and **** like that..Now maybe there is a slight delay on the animation which I will evaluate more tonight to confirm, but it doesn't stop me from firing off the next ability once the GCD is up.

Maybe since I'm able to follow the GCD and fire off my next attack with no problem, maybe I'm assuming there is no delay. But I must tell you that everytime I transition from Ravage (chain attack) into force choke and then fire off the next ability, it flows flawlessly with no hesitation. The only problem I do have occasionally is hitting the button and nothing happening.

Please remember I'm not against you guys here and I support Xcore and all of you fully on this. Im just offering my take and scenario on the subject.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't a serious post by any means, but I laughed out loud when I tried to picture playing an enhancement shaman with swtor responsiveness. It really applies to any class, but out of all the toons I had (druid, shammy, priest) I thought the enhancement would be the worst scenario...

Supporting OP, please fix this!

Try a Shadow Priest, mate. I had so much Haste in Wrath that Bloodlust//Heroism didn't even give me it's full benefit. SWToR would load it's pants if it tried keeping up with what I used to do on that.

I am currently in the theater for Sherlock2 but catching up with the thread I just want to really make clear that Boobafett has absolutely no grasp of the problem, I believe this to be his inability to see the difference between instant and .1-3 delay. I hope Georg disregards his analysis of this problem as it is "completely" uninformed.

Fallenvirtues is halfway there, the only problem is that he still believe that he does not have a delay problem in certain cases that others do. However he does see a general problem and that is an important distinction.

I mist point out again and make sure everyone understands that "everyone" has the exact same delay and animation problems regardless of your ability to realize or notice this.

This is very hard to accept but important to understand to get this resolved... Sorry no replies from me for a bit. Happy new year all!

Well my question is this. If I don't have a problem firing off a ability as soon as my GCD is up every time (unless it just doesn't go off at all) am I having this problem?? (Outside of pvp).

Everytime I use a ability on my comp at home, it fires off immediately (unless it doesn't work at all). I don't have problem interupting and **** like that..Now maybe there is a slight delay on the animation which I will evaluate more tonight to confirm, but it doesn't stop me from firing off the next ability once the GCD is up.

Maybe since I'm able to follow the GCD and fire off my next attack with no problem, maybe I'm assuming there is no delay. But I must tell you that everytime I transition from Ravage (chain attack) into force choke and then fire off the next ability, it flows flawlessly with no hesitation. The only problem I do have occasionally is hitting the button and nothing happening.

Please remember I'm not against you guys here and I support Xcore and all of you fully on this. Im just offering my take and scenario on the subject.

Whats really funny is if you speed up the animations using various methods, it will allow your abilities to match the cooldowns and GCDs rather than waiting for the animations to finish.

The issue is somewhere on the client end and is a major synchronization problem. This also creates the potential for some really bad speedhacking to allow faster use of abilities since the animations are more limiting than the GCD.

Edited by Lightmgl

However animation does not have priority over ability firing, you are still able to cast 1 ability ever gcd.

Watch this video that Xcorp put in the OP.

In the video:

1. He casts an ability with a Cast Time(dont recall it's name) which triggers the GCD at the start of the cast.

2. Casted Spell finishes.

3. He pushes his Grenade button which triggers the GCD.

---No GCD is triggered after he pushes Grenade.

4. Now the spell from the Casted Spell finally fires(it's the pritty little sparks flying).

5. The Grenade is tossed.

In other words, He triggered TWO spells before the FIRST ONE even went off.

The animation bug is also evident in my video(which is in Xcorp's OP). The Second time I activate Ambush(first one fails for some reason and does not trigger Ambushes CD), I begin to cast Snipe immediately.

However, Snipe is cancelled by Ambushes animation the MOMENT that Ambush fires from my characters gun.

In the video I just linked above here, the animation causes ability delay. In my video, it COMPLETELY CANCELS the ability. Both are unacceptable. Animation should NEVER cause either in a properly designed game.

Edited by Owarida

Can we get this thread Stickied? Or get a new thread made that links to individual discussions for the specific issues that contribute to the character responsiveness problems.

Also, while I don't think this problem will kill the game, I do think it will cut the long term subscriber numbers in half. A lot of people are tired of WoW, but keep going back to it because other games feel so sluggish by comparison.

I plan to stay with this game for a long time. I stayed with SWG from the first day to the last day, staying subscribed to the game every day in between even when I took breaks from actually logging in for months at a time, but the unresponsiveness of it and other games is what keeps me from staying involved and enjoying competitive gameplay, whether it's Raiding or PvP. At least SWG had Sand-Box elements to keep me coming back. I don't expect or want SWTOR to be SWG2, but right now Story is the only think to keep me involved long term, and I don't think there's enough story content to last that long.

My Sniper and OP would like me to take this moment to tell you that they agree.

Yeah, I thought my Sith IQ was bad, the IA is like smearing molasses all over yourself, then diving in a pool of bread dough and trying to fight; I spend more time on the forums than I do in-game nearly because of how annoying it is.

Watch this video that Xcorp put in the OP.

In the video:

1. He casts an ability with a Cast Time(dont recall it's name) which triggers the GCD at the start of the cast.

2. Casted Spell finishes.

3. He pushes his Grenade button which triggers the GCD.

---No GCD is triggered after he pushes Grenade.

4. Now the spell from the Casted Spell finally fires(it's the pritty little sparks flying).

5. The Grenade is tossed.

In other words, He triggered TWO spells before the FIRST ONE even went off.

The animation bug is also evident in my video(which is in Xcorp's OP). The Second time I activate Ambush(first one fails for some reason and does not trigger Ambushes CD), I begin to cast Snipe immediately.

However, Snipe is cancelled by Ambushes animation the MOMENT that Ambush fires from my characters gun.

In the video I just linked above here, the animation causes ability delay. In my video, it COMPLETELY CANCELS the ability. Both are unacceptable. Animation should NEVER cause either in a properly designed game.

This seems to be the problem of the thread, in a nutshell.

Edited by Malminos

Yeah, I thought my Sith IQ was bad, the IA is like smearing molasses all over yourself, then diving in a pool of bread dough and trying to fight; I spend more time on the forums than I do in-game nearly because of how annoying it is.

What issues do you have the most issues with on your sith? My assassin is usually actually pretty good. There are moments of clunkyness, (transitioning rapidly from thrash to shock back to thrash is where I have the most delay, sometimes discharge too), but it usually plays quite well.

Force Scream animation is broken. It usually takes multiple key presses for it to go off.

Ravage animation and channeling is really awkward.

This is especially apparent when you Force Charge and immediately Ravage. Half the time your character is stuck, you can't even move, and no damage happens for the duration of Ravage, except Ravage never goes off. The animation might happen, but nothing else.

I agree 100% with the title, this will make or break the game.

I have played many MMOs

Guild Wars

Age of Conan

Lord of the Rings

Final Fantasy Online

Aion

World of Warcraft

Rift

I am sure there are a few I am missing

Out of all those games I pushed PvP and always excelled. Only two games offered a decent character response that was both visual sync'd and felt smooth.

World of Warcraft Sets the bar

Aion 7/10

Now I was not a 2900 Ranked Warrior, I was only 2k. From Battlegrounds to Arena the competitive atmosphere and knowing my reaction time, my skill made a difference was what kept me playing for the last 4 years.

I never really thought the character response had such in impact on how much I enjoyed the game until stopped playing World of Warcraft this summer. I have still yet to go back nor do I intend to. My only hope is SWTOR will realize how much this affects the game and more importantly, how much it affects how we are stimulated and feel while playing.

My own agenda (discount just felt like saying it)

Well that and ensuring there is competitive pvp in the end. IE Arenas, Ranked Warzones with actual Arena Teams and Warzone teams. I said this a long time ago, you will see 1/2 your audience move on to the next game unless there is a ranked pvp system like Warcraft. Just look at the past 3 years of MMO titles that taken the dive, they all launched with out a pvp ranking system, and the gay "Time Played" = Rank from Rift was beyond bad.