Why do folks say the graphics are dated?

Vinjar

Mainly people these days are incapable of differentiating photorealism to stylised, which SWtOR is. All the texture have been hand made, giving it a painted look to whole game and I really like it.

The character models look fine to me, compared to WoW which are made out of about 100 polygons haha.

You're so wrong.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ATTENTION FAN BOYS:

Blindly being followed by the love of your precious game doesn't mean you can't have "negative" comments about it as well.

The graphics are average at best.

My mother is a frustrating old lady - but I love her.

I barely play swtor. Not high priority. Thus not a fanboi. Graphics in this game are superb. If this is average, I'm really curious what mmo's you're playing. The only ones with better graphics, had horrible playability.

Trolls. Even with medium textures it's better than 90% of the stuff out there. It's an objective fact that the graphics aren't outdated. Anyone stating otherwise is a troll.

Im a troll because Im saying SWToR is outdated when it comes to graphics. Rift has a ton of graphics that is better in any way and form then SWToR.

On my desktop I can turn everything to maximum and get awsome graphics. I can even install Rift on my notebook with 3gb of memory, use the lowest settings posible for the game and still be able to play with a "ok" fps. A god damne notebook pc.....

With the budget that EA/BW had, they should have been able to make something good, but no, they payed royalty to use some other outdated graphics.

It is almost 2012, one should be able to make a game that both ca be used with low end PC's and high nd PC's.

Using the excuse that "you cant have good graphics because the low end users willl not be able to play" is fals.

It is about money, and SWToR is the worls most expencive MMO ever, and it does NOT show anywhere.

OK graphics, good gameplay but not fantastic etc etc.

It is the worls most expencive MMO but it is not living up to its cost and production time.

I wish that they created their own graphic enging instead of this one. /cry

The only thing that needs to be said here is Bioware has already said it is a bug and the graphics currently cannot go higher than MEDIUM settings. So guess what? All the people that claim that the graphics could look better are actually correct. Wow, shocker huh?

To everyone who says "they look fine", prepare to get a pleasant surprise when Bioware fixes the bug and you can crank them up even higher.

Im a troll because Im saying SWToR is outdated when it comes to graphics. Rift has a ton of graphics that is better in any way and form then SWToR.

On my desktop I can turn everything to maximum and get awsome graphics. I can even install Rift on my notebook with 3gb of memory, use the lowest settings posible for the game and still be able to play with a "ok" fps. A gosh darne notebook pc.....

With the budget that EA/BW had, they should have been able to make something good, but no, they payed royalty to use some other outdated graphics.

It is almost 2012, one should be able to make a game that both ca be used with low end PC's and high nd PC's.

Using the excuse that "you cant have good graphics because the low end users willl not be able to play" is fals.

It is about money, and SWToR is the worls most expencive MMO ever, and it does NOT show anywhere.

OK graphics, good gameplay but not fantastic etc etc.

It is the worls most expencive MMO but it is not living up to its cost and production time.

I wish that they created their own graphic enging instead of this one. /cry

Biggest troll ever. lol. Do you work for bioware. YEahhhhh no. Stop talking like you know anything about this games design. These cell shades still are nothing like they were in the past. So it's not outdated. You just don't like how it looks. Tough luck.

They look great to me.

And really, there has been a ton of media showing game play, progression, etc and they kinda include the graphics. Just sayin'.

Alot of those people are upset because the toaster they play on cannot run the game on high.

The rest are the elitist people who understand little to nothing about programming and maintaining a game of this massive scale. To these people if it doesn't look like Crysis; it's crap.

I barely play swtor. Not high priority. Thus not a fanboi. Graphics in this game are superb. If this is average, I'm really curious what mmo's you're playing. The only ones with better graphics, had horrible playability.

And what game are you reffering too? AoC? Then I agree, but there are more games with way better graphics then this.

I will put Rift here because Rift is the MMO that has its release closest to SWToR.

You can play Rift on an top end computer and get one hell of a nice experiance, and you can pay Rift on a notebook PC with the graphics put to minimum.

No, SWToR has no greate graphics. It is good and average compered to what a PC can do today.

The graphics is even bugged and not complete. most of the bugs it has should have been fixed in the Beta and in release. Sure, some bugs you will have, but a graphics that totally lacks and missing huge chuncks of its use is bad.

[quote name='Mamono']And what game are you reffering too? AoC? Then I agree, but there are more games with way better graphics then this. I will put Rift here because Rift is the MMO that has its release closest to SWToR. You can play Rift on an top end computer and get one hell of a nice experiance, and you can pay Rift on a notebook PC with the graphics put to minimum. No, SWToR has no greate graphics. It is good and average compered to what a PC can do today. The graphics is even bugged and not complete. most of the bugs it has should have been fixed in the Beta and in release. Sure, some bugs you will have, but a graphics that totally lacks and missing huge chuncks of its use is bad.[/QUOTE] Rift was a decent game I'll give you that. But honestly the style they chose to go you really can't get much better than that. I like the style, not heavily shaded, just enough to really dedicate power for other things. Maybe i'm not a spoiled brat with crysis and **** (no offense just a reference point), but it doesn't bother me.

Rift was a decent game I'll give you that. But honestly the style they chose to go you really can't get much better than that. I like the style, not heavily shaded, just enough to really dedicate power for other things. Maybe i'm not a spoiled brat with crysis and **** (no offense just a reference point), but it doesn't bother me.

Is it being spoiled when you expect a company to releases a non bugged game that can use high res textures/DX 11/AA and multiple cores because the game will look better and will run better for everyone?

Especially since well AA and high res textures have been promised for launch.

After all the game has launched, who cares if they fix it in a year we're paying and playing now.

If things are bugged like high textures why release the game?

Sure if it was the only bug but it's like a beta.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Is it being spoiled when you expect a company to releases a non bugged game that can use high res textures/DX 11/AA and multiple cores because the game will look better and will run better for everyone?

Especially since well AA and high res textures have been promised for launch.

After all the game has launched, who cares if they fix it in a year we're paying and playing now.

If things are bugged like high textures why release the game?

Sure if it was the only bug but it's like a beta.

probably because we said it's fine? lol This is an mmo. Bugs happen. OFTEN. Deal with it dude.

Edited by DarthAnaethil

probably because we said it's fine? lol This is an mmo. Bugs happen. OFTEN. Deal with it dude.

I don't think you even read a word from what I've wrote, even if you did you clearly don't understand half of it.

Just read it let that brain do some work and than post, you might actually make some sense after that.

Edited by TheHauntingBard

Biggest troll ever. lol. Do you work for bioware. YEahhhhh no. Stop talking like you know anything about this games design. These cell shades still are nothing like they were in the past. So it's not outdated. You just don't like how it looks. Tough luck.

Actually he is right about the engine they licensed/used/modified.

Hero engine is at least 7 years old and more since in 2005 Simutronic showed their never released MMO called Hero's Journey. They actually won quite a few prizes, yet their MMO was cancelled. Well they didnt really cancel it officially but all the staff was fired/let go etc.

So for them to show this at E3 and other tradeshows in 2005, they would have had to work on that engine even earlier than that!!

Why go with such an old engine? Cheap and apparently, Simutronic claimed that a MMO could be made in a few years. Let's say they would have went with Unreal or another more mainstream engine, i bet the licensing cost would have been several times more than some no name engine that no one ever used before!

The faster you churn the content and make the game, the sooner you can rake in the cash!

Let's be honest here, this is NOT the best engine in the world and most importantly is the fact that it is an OLD engine.

If you have 85/125 Millions to buy a house, Why on earth would you build your house with sub par materials? It's like SWTOR mansion has nice imported granite counter, Mahoganny pannels everywhere and carpet made out of baby kittens fur, and then you go build the whole thing on a concrete mix made out of cammel dung and mud.....

Dont get me wrong, i LOVE this game and have played it since early access a LOT, every hours of the day i play it when i am not at work. I am able to step back and say the graphics and the settings one can use are ****. This engine i believe is the reason why you hear comments from Reid about hoods being a complex thing to make. I think and (maybe i am talking out of my *** here) that this is the reason a lot of the features that are so common in other games, arent so easy to code here. Come on, you got a budget like this and you're telling me that most of it was spent on voice??? Maybe if the voice actors were AAA stars maybe i would buy that.

Again, love the game but i am not such a blind fanboi to ignore flaws when i see them and the graphics arent 2012 caliber!

people are saying the graphics are outdated, because the graphics are outdated

even newer zones/models/etc. That are put in world of warcraft have better graphics, and wow was never a game with high-end graphics

bwaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Becouse I did not pay to play in a beta, thus graphics are a valid concerne after launch and this 'untill they fix it in a patch' is a poor justification for not doing it in Beta.

Actually the graphics were much better in the beta. The game even had hi-res textures until they released the build for the weekend beta testers. That build removed about half the graphics options and I have been disappointed with the visuals ever since.

Probably because we're stuck with Medium textures until they fix it in a patch. A known issue I may add, so not sure why people are crying.

Because its a pretty big known issue and we are almost into week 3 after launch?

I mean lets thing about it as an experienced company its a pretty big mistake to NOT release with an entire texture set.

Thats why its a big deal. And since next weeks notes aren't out yet people are curious.

If they are not in this weeks patch note we will soon be a month into release with no high res textures..... thats just plain bad business to be missing something major from the game.

And yes graphics are a big selling point for many people if they weren't then everything would look UO still or early 90's game lol.

One reason graphics feels outdated is the annoying z-axis warping bug

Noticed that other characters tend to "warp" alot when traversing up or down (z-axis) before their actual position is updated a second later? (i.e. using elevators, jumping of ledges/boxes, running down steep ramps)

I find this highly annoying and think that it is a disgrace that it exists in a MMO released 2011. (The same bug was in Everquest 10 years ago.. Never fixed which scares me alot)

Ruins alot of immersion for me as I see it alot, basicly all the time. I did feedback this in the beta too but to no avail. Either they have bigger things to fix or they just can't fix it.

They look great to me.

And really, there has been a ton of media showing game play, progression, etc and they kinda include the graphics. Just sayin'.

/agree

I find it funny when they complain about the graphics being Nintendo 8 bit quality and then say they are going back to WOW.

People are saying the graphics are outdated, because the graphics are outdated

Even newer zones/models/etc. that are put in World of Warcraft have better graphics, and WoW was never a game with high-end graphics

ROFL. ROFL ROFL.

Serious???? The graphics keep getting worse. If you think the newer zones/models are better in detail in WOW than SWTOR, holy cow................. thats like saying Techmo Bowl Football on Nintendo 8 bit has better graphics than Madden '12 on PS3.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.