Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

For all the people who turned on 'WoW' you will turn on this game.

The_Old_Empire

Guranteed 100% for all the ex-World of Warcraft fanboys who use to love that game and nothing could touch it that have now left to play this game. I can gurantee in a few months/years that you will turn on this game. When they implement ideas that arent to your liking, when classes get buffed too much, or even by not changing things in that game that need changing you will turn on this game in a heartbeat.

How do I know? because I remember Vanilla WoW 2004 and when BC came out. Nobody could touch this game, there was no fault to it. If you said one word about it than I wouldnt be suprised if someone would hunt you down and kill you. This is the exact same with this game. Its started out good and will probably remain so for a few months but than when time goes on people will either go back to the previous MMO'S they played and will turn on this game talking about how rubbish it is now etc.

It took me over 3 years (since 2005) to "turn" against WoW, and even then, I kept an active account, to play on-and-off, until recently in 2011

I don't see myself paying for SWTOR for more than 1 year at the most, though; maybe not even past the free month if they don't make major changes and improvements

Edited by Shadysketchy

You think they will return to this game? I think they will return to WoW. I think a lot of people are just playing this to play something different for a while and not because WoW all of a sudden became a bad game.

In fact, most complaints about WoW are just people getting tired of playing the same game for years. They usually don't realize that and blame it on some change that Blizzard made when in reality they just aren't having as much fun because they've played it too much.

Edited by Shillen

First off, I believe after 7 years you need a change... from anything. WoW is one hell of a game and me quitting is no fault of their own (for the most part.)

That being said, I do find it funny that I will not be resubbing to this game and will be going back to WoW to mess around a bit.

I can gurantee in a few months/years that you will turn on this game..

Wow... REALLY? How do you make the leap of few months (3ish) to few years (36monthish)

I can guarantee you all that when I shoot this rifle, it will hit somewhere on that white billboard!

If I get bored with this game or future content, patches and expansions stop being fun, I will stop playing.

I'm not some loyal gamer who would stay with a game even though it's slowly killing itself. I play for fun. If it stops becoming fun, then my motivation for playing disappears.

You think they will return to this game? I think they will return to WoW. I think a lot of people are just playing this to play something different for a while and not because WoW all of a sudden became a bad game.

In fact, most complaints about WoW are just people getting tired of playing the same game for years. They usually don't realize that and blame it on some change that Blizzard made when in reality they just aren't having as much fun because they've played it too much.

Not entirely true, the game took a pretty drastic turn of intent in late lich king, more firmly aiming towards casual play. about 90% of the people I know that have quit wow in the last 2 years did it right about that point. A suspect a lot of them are here, and hoping that bioware doesnt take that same direction as this game moves on.

I played WOW for about 3 months from launch, and became extremely bored with it.

I came back 6 months later more or less, played for a month, and found it was still boring.

Came back about a year later, played for about 2 weeks, and found it hard to deal with.

Came back about 2 years later, and played the game since.

Things change..

WOW was not the best game on the market in it's beginnings, I saw that.

But I kept giving it the college try, and it paid off.

I will give SWTOR the same consideration.

Edited by Fraxture

I played WoW at release, and for years after. I left when the game was too different from the original. But I enjoyed it.

I play SW:TOR. I didn't leave WoW for it. I left WoW years ago, and tried Lotro, Tabula Rasa, and several MMO's in between.

And, as I'm enjoying SW:TOR, I'll probably stay for awhile. As with all things, I'll eventually move on.

So I guess I fit your description, but I'm no so sure what your point was?

Edited by Spynnal

What really drives people to post idiotic crap like this... seriously?

Anyway. I've encountered numerous posts, if not players in general, trying to differentiate and argue on multiple ends about World of Warcraft. I hear nonstop that WoW did this, or has this, or the best one "it has over 10 million players!" Well okay number one ten million players worldwide less then two million are from the United States and few hundred thousand from Europe, if i recall correctly it was around 6.5 million from China. Putting numbers in prospective thats just under 3 million players worldwide capable of playing SWTOR, currently which maintains to almost half of WoW's population and its been out for less then a few weeks. WoW started out with less then 30 servers for 300,000 players at launch, though they did have to take the game off shelves for a few weeks to catch up. Still only 500,000 a few months later. Their game didnt provide a full blown experience actually it was a terrible launch bugs galore, overpowered paladins whom of which still hadnt a talent tree were still capable of immense feats most classes couldnt shake a stick at. It was horrid at launch just as it is for any game.

Now on to the primary reason for people playing WoW. Its just like Facebook. People go there because their friends are there and the community is persistent. This game has to build its foundation first which it is, I referred a few friends already. This game has a very strong game client, very stable and a vast amount of content to boot. Patches will be coming to fix thr necssary bugs its a matter of time. I definitely will not ne going to WoW as its becoming so simplified its not even a challenge anymore. Thankfully SWTOR has arrived.

well, when Guild Wars 2 gets out, I would imagine a lot of players (mostly old time MMO players though) will jump ship.

If SWTor is your first mmo, then the game is great. If, however, you have played MMO's since the early dark ages, then I think you will probably leave SWTor after a while.

As it stands now crafting is more or less useless at end game.

UI is horrible (im sure this will change)

No addons/macro (this is a huge thing for old time MMO'rs) (will prob. be implemented later on)

PvP, from an old time MMO players perspective, isnt that good to be honest and its really unbalanzed .. (im sure that will be fixed later on.)

GTN interface is horrible. (will be fixed later on)

There is a lot of bugs (will be fixed later on)

Now alt the points that will be fixed "later on" may come to late for the old time MMO player and that is why i think a lot of them will move over to Guild Wars 2.

Just my rant, those who will continue to play the game could not care less if a lot of players left SWTor, but as an old fart MMO player, I think its sad if I had to leave this game. I enjoy the Star Wars universe, but i will not stay in it just for the sake of staying.

I do want quality for my buck's, and right now its not really there.

If I get bored with this game or future content, patches and expansions stop being fun, I will stop playing.

I'm not some loyal gamer who would stay with a game even though it's slowly killing itself. I play for fun. If it stops becoming fun, then my motivation for playing disappears.

Such a novel concept.

I didn't quit wow for ANY reason other than after the announcement of the next expansion. I believe blizzard frankly doesn't care if they make good content, and just tosses out whatever they think will reel people back in.

I'm not a hardcore raider, or a RBGer or an arena person. I played wow because my friends did, and it was something to do. I typically tried most new and a LOT of free mmos. After several months in beta before launch i knew Bioware would have to ban me or take down the servers to get rid of me.

Things that make people post long whining, or superiority posts don't bother me. I realize, just as wow has, TOR will evolve, and refine. I want to be here (like i was with wow), to see this game become the great game it is just under the surface.