Onslaught is meh

foxmob

RotHC was by far the worst (story) xpack, imo. But these characters in Onslaught are a huge gaping chasm of IDGAF. The jedi is bland. Her padwan is bland. One has uninteresting backstory and no personality. The other doesn't even have a backstory. The imperial side isn't much better. The twilek soldier has more personality than the jedi but it's just hi. what's up? oki bai! The new emperor and her relationship with Malgus are the only remotely interesting aspects.

Mandos are also hi. nice to see you. ok. bye! with a generic comp for a bugged instance.

Comparing this to the characters in the Eternal Empire arcs, not to mention the production values and storytelling in the cinematics alone. I mean, I've had friends who have nothing to do with SWTOR take one look at the ET cinematics and they salivate over it, saying that's the best SW material since the OT, and why isn't that the next movie?

Edited by foxmob

Agree. Onslaught is.. hard to describe... featureless? In my opinion KotFE was best one. Most interesting people we meet, sense of humor, best cutscenes, fights, places... all textures looks high quality compared to previous expansions, also meeting old companions. You can feel difference in budget.

Agree. Onslaught is.. hard to describe... featureless? In my opinion KotFE was best one. Most interesting people we meet, sense of humor, best cutscenes, fights, places... all textures looks high quality compared to previous expansions, also meeting old companions. You can feel difference in budget.

problem is majority hated it so they went back to traditional expansions. i for one am glad.

problem is majority hated it so they went back to traditional expansions. i for one am glad.

I’d like to see more planets to explore with story, general and daily quests. Onslaught feels kind of like a pared down version of that.

the planets after Ossus feel like claustraphobic garbage designed to screw up my camera view/angles.

I don't mind them to play through once, you won't catch me doing dailies in there every day. it feels very small. the ship fight feels larger and more sprawling than those planets.

the problem with the Eternal Empire stuff for me is that it was ALL story and very streamlined story at that. but the story itself was next level for MMORPGs, imo. onslaught is like...almost like I'm back in WoW with better graphics. Outside of malgus and the empress, everyone feel utterly disposable. and the cut scenes and cinematics are, as mentioned, subpar for BW standard.

Edited by foxmob

RotHC was by far the worst (story) xpack, imo. But these characters in Onslaught are a huge gaping chasm of IDGAF. The jedi is bland. Her padwan is bland. One has uninteresting backstory and no personality. The other doesn't even have a backstory. The imperial side isn't much better. The twilek soldier has more personality than the jedi but it's just hi. what's up? oki bai! The new emperor and her relationship with Malgus are the only remotely interesting aspects.

Mandos are also hi. nice to see you. ok. bye! with a generic comp for a bugged instance.

Comparing this to the characters in the Eternal Empire arcs, not to mention the production values and storytelling in the cinematics alone. I mean, I've had friends who have nothing to do with SWTOR take one look at the ET cinematics and they salivate over it, saying that's the best SW material since the OT, and why isn't that the next movie?

Goes to show how different people have different tastes. I think outside of a few bright spots, the Eternal Empire story was trash. I couldn't care less about any of the characters introduced during it.

it doesnt make sense, if he was still around why did nathema become lush again.

Because ...

He *wasn't* still around. What we meet in EoO is a sort of *memory* of TVV that is trying to become a reincarnation of him, but from the end of KotET IX to (roughly) the beginning of EoO or just before, TVV does not, as such, exist.

I, for one, much prefer Onslaught with its characters, whom I find interesting and hope to see more, than Valkorion family drama.

Arcann and Co. are dead on almost all my characters except one goodie two shoes Jedi, and replaying EoO with them alive only reminded me how much I didn't like KOTFE/ET and that family and their petty squabbles. I'll take the new content with new characters over it any day, thanks :p

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." -- The Dude

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." -- The Dude

is that what "imo" means? :rolleyes:

Goes to show how different people have different tastes. I think outside of a few bright spots, the Eternal Empire story was trash. I couldn't care less about any of the characters introduced during it.

fair enough, but man...ppl I know who love SW and don't give AF about TOR thought the EE cinematics were amazing. easily the best, most compelling stuff in the SWEU, as it were.

doesn't make theirs the objective truth, but there's nothing like that for Onslaught. it's all very generic.

Edited by foxmob

is that what "imo" means? :rolleyes:

fair enough, but man...ppl I know who love SW and don't give AF about TOR thought the EE cinematics were amazing. easily the best, most compelling stuff in the SWEU, as it were.

doesn't make theirs the objective truth, but there's nothing like that for Onslaught. it's all very generic.

Well, there is the cinematics and then there is the story. I agree that the cinematics were great, but I did not care for the KOTFE/ET story or the almost exclusive development focus on single player story play.

Well, there is the cinematics and then there is the story. I agree that the cinematics were great, but I did not care for the KOTFE/ET story or the almost exclusive development focus on single player story play.

100% agree on the game play. it's like that original space mission stuff where you're on the rails.

thought the story was the best of everything post-1.0 with the different class stories and individual planetary stories. and the presentation (including cinematics and cut scenes) were worlds better or more engrossing. but I'm repeating myself a bit so I'll try to do it again. luls

Let the record show that the Knights Of Eternal chapters were insanely popular upon initial release. Then monthly chapters became less popular over time due to EA's subscribe-to-grind, gear-by-loot-crate scheme was implemented during 5.0... as users started to grind chapters over and over again for loot crates and currency.

From a graphical and story perspective "Onslaught" sucks. 6.0 should be called "Kit Bash" where existing in game assets were poorly strung together to form a expansion: Orderon is literally Rishi + Makeb, Mek-Sha is Nar Shaddaa assets on an asteroid

Then there is the Corellian flashpoint "Meridian Complex".. Corellia, which was already a time sink pre-60 - did not need a flashpoint, much less a expansion flashpoint. In addition to the Corellian flashpoint there is now heavily bugged and overly long time sink "Spirits of Vengeance" which employs Disney/Dave Filoni style of Star Wars "Greatest Hits" where legacy characters are dumped into a story for story purposes.

5.0's mini-expansion "Ossus" is superior from graphics and story standpoint to 6.0 "Onslaught" . 6.0 should be skippable. At the very least the Corellian flashpoint and "Spirits of Vengeance" flashpoint should be optional.

In my opinion, Onslaught is super fun. I really like imperial development with unity and inclusion for victory. Anri is fabulous, interesting and combative and I like to hate republicans fools.

My issue is : its not as epic as KOTET, missed some hard times, everything is far too easy and too short. ; Republican story and imperials story are the same.

Edited by LeoAugustina

I would agree to some extent. Onslaught has its strong points and weak points. Overall though, I take Onslaught with a grain of salt because of Covid.

I would like to think of myself as an optimist though and would like to think that the funds not spent on Onslaught, allowed the devs to direct that money towards the 10 yr anniversary! I, like many of you all, think that this game still has untapped potential. I think the devs know that!! We know that!

On Dec 20, 2021....Greatness!

If not, oh well, I will still play because I am that guy, who in the 70's, wore the same GOD DAMN pee yellow Chewbacca T'shirt to the theater 9 times as a kid!!!!

I am, always will be, a SW fan! Guess I am less critical because of it! ;)

I would agree to some extent. Onslaught has its strong points and weak points. Overall though, I take Onslaught with a grain of salt because of Covid.

I would like to think of myself as an optimist though and would like to think that the funds not spent on Onslaught, allowed the devs to direct that money towards the 10 yr anniversary! I, like many of you all, think that this game still has untapped potential. I think the devs know that!! We know that!

On Dec 20, 2021....Greatness!

If not, oh well, I will still play because I am that guy, who in the 70's, wore the same gosh darn pee yellow Chewbacca T'shirt to the theater 9 times as a kid!!!!

I am, always will be, a SW fan! Guess I am less critical because of it! ;)

onslaught came out before covid was even a thing

I'm probably the rare few that like RoTHC because it's that last expansion where we have complimentary stories from the Republic and the Empire instead of the boring One Story To Fit Them All format after.

Kotxx story itself is interesting, but it's not written for non-Force sensitives and it's exactly the same for everyone with the only difference being the kill options (which is stupid). I skip it after going through it with my two main characters.

Onslaught is meh, the same old Pub vs Imp story is stupid and I hate how none of our decision is set in a canon sense like in the vanilla stories. But at least there are two version of stories here the and new characters have potential. Tau and Arn grow on me. Anri is charming. They could bring out conflict within their factions if the writers are up to it.

For many game-related issues I will give the current Bioware Austin regime a pass over the "pandemic" and the once-in-a-century winterstorm.

However there has been huge connection issues since at least December. For pvp matches, many are getting put on the 15minute timeout penalty frequently due to the issue. I'm sure others are getting kicked during Flashpoints and Operations.

The connection meter showing the red X more than blue connection bars IIIII is now a feature I am used to seeing.

Edited by jimmorrisson

I am one of those people who absolutely loved KoTFE and KoTET.

Onslaught itself - I don't mind the story. I don't care for the Jedi they introduced. I love how it's different per faction again, and I love the saboteur line - although to which extent I have yet to decide, depending on what they do with it.

Yes it's super short, but there are some great scenes (mostly involving Lana), and I absolutely love what they did with the gear system. LOVE it. It's what I had been hoping for in every MMO until now - stuff you can share with all your characters.

Also good dailies and weeklies that give you gear crates. I'm not into grouping but at least they added new grouping content too.

So I mean, if you play for the story, yes it's disappointing. But there's much more content beyond that. Something that KotFE/koTET severely lacked.