I Remember When The Prices On The GTN Weren't Crazy Bad...

AlaricSevGirl

They're up on a lot of CM items. Some of the more in demand items are going for much more than what they sold before the augments dropped despite the CC cost being the same.

Inflation on Cartel market stuff is pretty irrelevant on the GTN. You can tell more if inflation is out of control based on every day crafted items.

You also need to look at what CM items are selling the highest and consider things like demand. Ie, lots of Mando stuff is high because of the Mandalorian TV show. New character server slots are up because you have returning players. And that brings me to the last reason which is seasonal.

Lastly, if people are away from the game for a long time and then return, they will see price rises and think they are big. Where as the rest of us who’ve been playing all along don’t see it that way because the increases were over a long period of time and because we’ve been accumulating lots of credits from playing the whole time the other people were away.

At the end of the day it comes down to supply and demand. If the prices are high and stable, it means people are paying it. If there are too many listed then the prices drop.

The easiest solution if you think CM things are too high on the GTN, is to buy directly from the CM.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Inflation on Cartel market stuff is pretty irrelevant on the GTN. You can tell more if inflation is out of control based on every day crafted items.

You also need to look at what CM items are selling the highest and consider things like demand. Ie, lots of Mando stuff is high because of the Mandalorian TV show. New character server slots are up because you have returning players. And that brings me to the last reason which is seasonal.

Lastly, if people are away from the game for a long time and then return, they will see price rises and think they are big. Where as the rest of us who’ve been playing all along don’t see it that way because the increases were over a long period of time and because we’ve been accumulating lots of credits from playing the whole time the other people were away.

At the end of the day it comes down to supply and demand. If the prices are high and stable, it means people are paying it. If there are too many listed then the prices drop.

The easiest solution if you think CM things are too high on the GTN, is to buy directly from the CM.

I can afford to buy any item I want from the GTN with credits, so it isn't really a concern for me.

The new player wanting a black-black dye that is now listed for 250,000,000? Good luck.

I can afford to buy any item I want from the GTN with credits, so it isn't really a concern for me.

The new player wanting a black-black dye that is now listed for 250,000,000? Good luck.

Conquest pays 25K. That is only 10,000 alts and you will have that in one week.

Seriously though, of all the games I've played swtor is the easiest for players to be able to make in game currency.

Dude that’s a really weak argument, I occasionally list dyes for that to just to see if they’ll sell. Trust me, I might sell one every few months if I’m lucky after listing 1 every day for that period.

Just because that’s the price you see when you login, doesn’t mean it’s the market price. I got 20 of them last month and the highest was 10 mil and the lowest 900,000 because I’m patient and troll the GTN looking for deals.

I’ve 10 or more of every CM dye and I’ve never paid more than 10 mil. Most of the premium ones were sub 500,000 and a large part of the others were less than 100,000. Which is ludicrous by the way because I sell my crafted dyes much higher than I pick up CM dyes off the GTN. Just last week I picked up a CM white-white and a CM white-gray for 250,000 each.

I also dont purposely buy those dyes to flip, even though I could. I look for deals and buy them if they are good. Then I sit on them to use later. I only start selling them if there have been “too many good deals” and I need to clear up some space in my private guild bank. If we could stack dyes, I would probably never relist CM ones.

Like any retail or auction environment, there are good deals to be had as long as you don’t act in a desperate or impulsive way where you have to have it right now. If there is something you’ve got your eye on, keep checking Multiple times daily over a month, if it never drops, then that’s what the CM is for. New subscribers get CC too or they can buy them with cash.

they definitely went for 20k, it was close to the start when you had a a very low max char, and as you said, credits were harder to get. not sure how long it lasted, because I do remember buying a few, and holding on to them, as I know what sort of an altaholic I am....lol. I sold a couple for 200k plus, and though it was great...lol, last time I looked they were 75 million :eek::eek:

I wasn't rich at the time, and thought it was a great coup...lol Also did the same for the revan's heir title, people sold them on the gtn for 10k, bought loads, now they go for 10 mill.

Well guess you were every lucky to get for 20k, maybe it was just different servers. I started playing as soon as this game became F2P, I use what CC I had (yes brought some) but also brought off the GTN several unlocks before deciding it was just quicker to buy direct from cartel. So I started to sub around 10 days after being F2P. I paid 200k for the cheapest unlocks which were inventory line(s) before I realised you could buy with in game credits. I never got enough in-game credits to buy extra character slots while still being F2P.

You can buy inventory slots with credits, but that's on a per character basis. You'll have to do it all over again on each of your characters, while the account unlocks are also sold on the CM, which is "one and done" for that row of slots.

What I meant is there is a weekly and even daily rhythm to the GTN prices on when to buy and sell. Once you work that out, it becomes much easier to make credits or get good deals.

Yes, but I'm saying there's an even larger cycle that is annual. Think of it like the rotation of a planet, the revolution of a satellite, such as our moon around its parent planet; the revolution of the planets around the sun, and if you extrapolate further, the revolution of the sun around the galactic core.

Not true, I've been playing consistently for years, and this time, the increases are dramatically higher on nearly everything, not just a specific set of commodities and mats. I'm constantly looking for deals on items I don't have, and I've noticed. The lowest prices now make the halfway decent prices of six months ago look like a steal.

Now they are so bad I wonder what the heck people are thinking. What are people thinking?

Greed fully combined with egoism. Welcome to the world of capitalism.

Because of that I don't sell items in the GTN anymore. I give them to guildies or keep them to myself - but i NEVER sell them.

Because greedy ones will most likely re-sell them for far more - or at least try to do so.

Edited by AlrikFassbauer

It's not irrelevant but it is a separate matter. Of course we can see from the rise in prices of CM items that there must be inflation because otherwise why would there be such an increase? But I agree it's not the same, just that they are related.

That is some of it but then the new or returning players have to be able to afford them, so it's not the whole story. And in fact you counter this yourself with the following comment:

Well, a few months ago black/black dyes would sell around 50M credits at the lower end. Now, just a few months later they bottom out around 130M-150M. The Master's Datacron was around 70-80M and now has equally doubled or tripled in price. That's a lot for such a relatively short time period.

It is indeed a matter of supply and demand but that's not all. The demand is also about what a person can afford. When people accumulate more credits and faster, the price of items will go up. So inflation does cause CM items for example to go up in price because the demand is also subject to price.

Well, the premise of this whole discussion is that people want to avoid buying it at the CM themselves cause they find that too expensive to begin with. I would agree but the prices remain high for a reason. So the expectation that other players should sell these items for lower prices while they paid a premium price for it at the CM is frankly crazy. They paid the real money price that people want to avoid and then get upset at them for not selling it a price point that they wish. Inflation is driving those prices to go up as well. That's the whole point. Supply is kept limited because the CM prices are prohibitive and demand is cut short because the demand exceeds the supply until they reach a stabilizing point on the GTN where the demand meets the supply.

What people do not realize perhaps is that the demand is not how many people want an item but how many of those can afford it, so with higher prices the demand goes down but it will make sure that it balances out at some point. BW is keeping the supply limited by setting high prices in the CM. This is also profitable for them. But inflation directly affects the GTN prices for CM items, because people in general having more credits available to them means they can afford higher prices. This means then that most people, who don't have enough credits, are out of luck. And BW know this, but it makes them money because it means more CM sales at those high prices; either more people buying themselves because the GTN prices are too high or people buying items from the CM with the purpose of reselling them on the GTN. Either way, BW wins and that's business.

Prices are like this because 2018 glitch happened, when trillions upon trillions of credits were poured into the GTN by exploiters, after that prices went up about tenfold.

My most expensive outfit this year including dyes was around 800M, mostly good outfit for my char is around 200M.

You're referring to the Companion Gift exploit? That's not the only exploit. There was also the infamous Temple Chair exploit a few years prior to that, which as far as I know, is when the inflation started. With the Companion Gift exploit, Bioware was actually a lot more punitive I think in their actions towards exploiters or at least they were more transparent about the measures they took.

Prices are like this because 2018 glitch happened, when trillions upon trillions of credits were poured into the GTN by exploiters, after that prices went up about tenfold.

My most expensive outfit this year including dyes was around 800M, mostly good outfit for my char is around 200M.

This whole thread is full of conspiracy theories and complaining. Few have benefited from the GTN like I have and after spending the majority of my time on the GTN I can say prices go up and then prices go down. There were some exploits that did have some effects, but that is long in the past. There has been tepid level of players for a significant amount of time and then a big influx of new players due to steam and other factors. I would say that is more likely the main contributor. After years on the GTN I can say with certainty that with more inventory and less competition the prices go up. As more are available or more competition the prices go down. I filled an entire characters bank slots with caravan beasts when they first came up and scooped them up for 1,000 to 5,000 credits. For the last several months I have been selling them for 650,000 credits. That's a 12,900% increase. Not due to any glitch or exploit, but because rarity has gone up, fewer people have them, and more new players are looking to get one.

Prices change. Either be patient until the prices come down to something you like or get your butt and brain in gear and make more credits. It is easy to make credits in this game. If nothing else browse around the GTN when you are bored and watch for mislistings. You can make millions just from those. Just the two mislistings below netted me 30 million credits.

https://imgur.com/a/qJnv4vu

https://imgur.com/a/VG1OcsJ

So go do something instead of complaining or begging for shortcuts.

Edited by Drew_Braxton

This whole thread is like a bad segment on OAN. Few have benefited from the GTN like I have and after spending the majority of my time on the GTN I can say prices go up and then prices go down. There were some exploits that did have some effects, but that is long in the past. There has been tepid level of players for a significant amount of time and then a big influx of new players due to steam and other factors. I would say that is more likely the main contributor. After years on the GTN I can say with certainty that with more inventory and less competition the prices go up. As more are available or more competition the prices go down. I filled an entire characters bank slots with caravan beasts when they first came up and scooped them up for 1,000 to 5,000 credits. For the last several months I have been selling them for 650,000 credits. That's a 12,900% increase. Not due to any glitch or exploit, but because rarity has gone up, fewer people have them, and more new players are looking to get one.

Prices change. Either be patient until the prices come down to something you like or get your butt and brain in gear and make more credits. It is easy to make credits in this game. If nothing else browse around the GTN when you are bored and watch for mislistings. You can make millions just from those. Just the two mislistings below netted me 30 million credits.

just an FYI, you might want to obscure the name, sometimes the mods can get tetchy with things like that..

This whole thread is like a bad segment on OAN. Few have benefited from the GTN like I have and after spending the majority of my time on the GTN I can say prices go up and then prices go down. There were some exploits that did have some effects, but that is long in the past. There has been tepid level of players for a significant amount of time and then a big influx of new players due to steam and other factors. I would say that is more likely the main contributor. After years on the GTN I can say with certainty that with more inventory and less competition the prices go up. As more are available or more competition the prices go down. I filled an entire characters bank slots with caravan beasts when they first came up and scooped them up for 1,000 to 5,000 credits. For the last several months I have been selling them for 650,000 credits. That's a 12,900% increase. Not due to any glitch or exploit, but because rarity has gone up, fewer people have them, and more new players are looking to get one.

There is no need to bring politics into this.

I don't even know how mislistings are even possible now that that a separator is automatically inserted into numbers higher than hundreds. When were these screenshots taken?

There is no need to bring politics into this.

I don't even know how mislistings are even possible now that that a separator is automatically inserted into numbers higher than hundreds. When were these screenshots taken?

it can still happen, unfortunately, when listing multiple items, click on a wrong thing, it resets to default, and if you aren't watching carefully, boom, it's gone for little of nothing. I've both lost to this and benefitted from it. /shrug

it can still happen, unfortunately, when listing multiple items, click on a wrong thing, it resets to default, and if you aren't watching carefully, boom, it's gone for little of nothing. I've both lost to this and benefitted from it. /shrug

I can attest to still making errors when listing, especially if I’m tired. The comma does not fix your attention span or stupid mistakes.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

It probably makes them less common though.

I don’t know about that. The amount of mistakes I make based on fatigue is still about the same. And the whole error thing really stands out more when it’s reversed and I list things much higher than I intended and they still sell. Which means both the seller (me) and maybe the buyer made a mistake.

All adding the commas has done for me is made the font in the game uglier and harder to read.

Yeah no. I have read through the entire thread and don't see anyone complaining about anything. I do see a nice discussion on the CM/GTM. I have been a SWTOR player since 2011 and honestly, the GTM prices are ridiculous. I'd never pay them and don't. Hell I'd rather buy stuff off the CM than give greedy players credits. The unfortunate thing about that is that the CM money goes to fund other EA games and does not get filtered back into SWTOR.

I mostly see the inflation with SH decorations. Some of them are upwards of 100m or more now. It's out of control, and unfortunate, because one of the most enjoyable activities in this game (SH decorating) has now become the sole purview of the wealthy.

I mostly see the inflation with SH decorations. Some of them are upwards of 100m or more now. It's out of control, and unfortunate, because one of the most enjoyable activities in this game (SH decorating) has now become the sole purview of the wealthy.

They will come down though, most of those that go for the crazy prices, hit a peak, then tumble, just keep your eyes on them. The only decos that are constant, are the Halloween ones, and beach ones, as both haven't been released this year, and are extremely rare. But the rest fluctuate a lot. Key an eye on the ones you need, and if lucky, you'll be pleasantly surprised :)

I don’t know about that. The amount of mistakes I make based on fatigue is still about the same. And the whole error thing really stands out more when it’s reversed and I list things much higher than I intended and they still sell. Which means both the seller (me) and maybe the buyer made a mistake.

All adding the commas has done for me is made the font in the game uglier and harder to read.

It's added more unnecessary clicking for me.