"You cannot modify this companion's equipment"

JLazarillo

Why am I getting this message on newly recruited, permanent companions? I just made a new Bounty Hunter and wanted to swap her look from her awful default 1.0 bodysuit, but for the first time ever, it won't let me. Mako deserves better than to have to go through the rest of Hutta so unfashionably!

Why am I getting this message on newly recruited, permanent companions? I just made a new Bounty Hunter and wanted to swap her look from her awful default 1.0 bodysuit, but for the first time ever, it won't let me. Mako deserves better than to have to go through the rest of Hutta so unfashionably!

See this

Quote: Originally Posted by https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1292020/game-update-6.2

Guest Companions no longer have slots for equipping or changing their appearances. Only permanently recruited companions can have their appearance or equipment altered.

See this

Quote: Originally Posted by https://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1292020/game-update-6.2

Guest Companions no longer have slots for equipping or changing their appearances. Only permanently recruited companions can have their appearance or equipment altered.

This isn't a guest companion, though, it's Mako, and she has slots, they just can't be modified. So one way or another, it's still broken.

Though I admit to wondering, why would they patch in such a ridiculous thing in the first place?

Edited by JLazarillo

This isn't a guest companion, though, it's Mako, and she has slots, they just can't be modified. So one way or another, it's still broken.

Though I admit to wondering, why would they patch in such a ridiculous thing in the first place?

Has she officially joined you as a companion?

Has she officially joined you as a companion?

This is the key piece of information. Until you get the line in Chat about "Newcompanion has joined you as a companion"(1), the companion is a guest and changing his / her / its appearance is restricted by the change in 6.2.

And I don't get what the reason for that change could be, either.

(1) For your first companion, it's accompanied by the mission-reward panel where you can choose one of three customisation objects.

I'm also getting this error. Can not modify Corso Riggs. He's permanent, isn't he?

At the point where you are in the story (assaulting the Sep base, right?), he isn't permanent *yet*. Once you get back from the base and go back to Viidu's place, Corso will join you permanently.

Some companions work with you as a guest for a while (ex: Talos Drellik for what feels like half of Hoth, T7 on Tython who accompanies you then goes away then accompanies you again a bit later, etc.), while others fully join you immediately as fully permanent companions (ex: Kaliyo, Aric Jorgan). In all cases, there will be a mission reward when the permanent join happens, and for "first" companions, the reward will include your choice of three customization objects.

This is the key piece of information. Until you get the line in Chat about "Newcompanion has joined you as a companion"(1), the companion is a guest and changing his / her / its appearance is restricted by the change in 6.2.

Then this is what needs to be fixed. It's needlessly restrictive.

I know, it seems quite bizarre. Unless it will effect something they have planned for the future /shrug

It is possible that this change is related to some future plan, but also possible that this is just splash damage from trying to prevent people from taking gear from a temp comp (remember the Malgus and Tau lightsaber issue). I have yet to encounter this, but I suspect that it will become an issue during my next play through. Generally I like to put on whatever customization I am going to use as soon as the comp joins my character. This change is going to prevent that, which will be an annoyance, but not overly critical. At least, not to me. Maybe. I have yet to experience this.

I have a young Knight that just got to Coruscant, so I might encounter this issue soon with Kira.

• 1 month later...
I don't know what heir "reason" for this is either but it really does annoy me. If i had to speculate I'd assume it's so that when you get temp companion from story that you cannot take their gear (it's not like you can use it anyway as it's specific to them). Another example of devs "fixing" what's not broken. As a result your main story companion cannot be dressed differently so you have to have keep their typically ugly default gear. It lessens the experience for me. I find this change to be petty at best.

If i had to speculate I'd assume it's so that when you get temp companion from story that you cannot take their gear (it's not like you can use it anyway as it's specific to them).

But you were able to put those items on the GTN or trade them person to person and scam other players who did not know about this. I think it's pretty obvious that they changed it because of the Tau's and Malgus' lightsaber debacle. People sold the lightsabers on the market for exorbitant prices and the buyers who did not carefully read the tooltip found out the hard way that they have been scammed when they tried to equip them to their character.

I wouldn't say this change is "petty", it's rather a hotfix introduced with a sledgehammer to prevent anything like this from happening again in the future.

Edited by Phazonfreak

• 3 years later...
On 12/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, JLazarillo said:

I've encountered same problem in 1.7.+ 

Problem is that you are to hasty!

You've found your new companion but official joining happens at the end of the main storyline quest (usually Ships Holo + reward). After that you can drop any items you have into companion's slots. 

On 3/24/2024 at 7:53 PM, SteveTheCynic said:

Incorrect.  This is way more recent than 1.7+.  I don't remember exactly when, but it might be as recent (or even more so) than 7.0.

...considering OP started this thread during 6.2, you might want to dial it back a bit before claiming someone's reported experience is "incorrect."

6 hours ago, Crystal_Mind said:

...considering OP started this thread during 6.2, you might want to dial it back a bit before claiming someone's reported experience is "incorrect."

Either way, it wasn't as far back as 1.7 (I've been here since just before 2.0, and I remember the sithstorm that popped up when this mis-feature was introduced, *long* after I started).  in fact, it was definitely *after* the 4.X time, and I think after 5.X.