Roadmap 2021?

Aedales

they have, and look at where it has got them. There's a couple of examples in this post, not to mention many others :/

I could be wrong here, but I don't remember the last time they bothered putting up a gold post with a big picture plan. Teitch steams that happen when they (and thus at least 3/4 of everyone else) is at work don't count. They can't even be bothered to provide summaries of the twitch streams themselves. I dont like reading my information third hand through some other summarizer. As for this thread I'm pretty sure they're not even bothering to read it. I'm here mostly to complain about my pet issue, as expounded upon (yet again) below.

I'm curious - what would a "casual" endgame at 75 look like to you? I'm never sure what people mean by this.

There's already a lot of group activities that aren't the hard or master mode versions.

What else can they do for people that want to play the easier content? It's already been released.

Honestly I'm under no delusions of grandeur here. Take all the current ops, raise the level to 75.

As I've said countless times now, downscaled content being used as endgame is frankly absurd. Dxun is the only level 75 endgame op, and it's not readily puggable. (These days, HM KP is barely puggable).

They have reached the point where they are simultaneously incapable of creating new content AND incapable of scaling old content to maintain relevancy; and this was at 6.0 launch nearly 6 months before covid. I can forgive covid delays. I cannot forgive having nothing to do at max level for someone who wants to do group content, but has neither the time nor desire to form or join a NIM raid team. Raid leading a bunch of pugs is bad enough.

Heck for a start just scale hammer station to 75.

Tldr: if its not accomplished at level 75, its not endgame.

Edited by KendraP

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exciting!

New Stronghold in may

New PvP ranked season in july

New story update in december (6.3)

10th of SWTOR celebration! Coruscant and Dromund Kaas Strongholds for 10 credits

No need to thanks.

Another stronghold? Must have missed that post. Did BW say which it would be or just that a new unspecified one was coming in May?

I could be wrong here, but I don't remember the last time they bothered putting up a gold post with a big picture plan. Teitch steams that happen when they (and thus at least 3/4 of everyone else) is at work don't count. They can't even be bothered to provide summaries of the twitch streams themselves. I dont like reading my information third hand through some other summarizer. As for this thread I'm pretty sure they're not even bothering to read it. I'm here mostly to complain about my pet issue, as expounded upon (yet again) below.

There was one in the summer, which talked about big things next year, while talking about 6.2 . It was on the forums, just couldn't be bothered looking for it. I don't use twitch or twitter, and rarely look at their FB page anymore, so the only info I get is from here :/

My crystal ball:

Sometime in mid 2021 the PTS will go up. The gameplay will be suspiciously smooth, leading to speculation about a new game 'engine'.

December 2021 - SWTOR relaunches with new 'engine'. 🎄

Hey, I guy can dream, can't he? 😂

The fact we have to download another 90GB of data might give the game away....but it would be worth it .

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it's what gets us going at times

I'd have to go back and watch again, but I swear in the last stream they did, toward the end, Keith started to say something like "are we going to talk about the rendering stuff..." and got swiftly interrupted by Musco, saying they had to wait and talk about other stuff next year, and the stream came to an end.. I remember being like ***?! Did he almost reveal a new engine? /shrug

Like I said, I'd have to go back and find the video again, but I swear that's what he started saying...

EDIT: Went back and found the clip and his exact words were when talking about the 10th year coming up, and getting interrupted by Musco, he was saying something like "...stuff that changes, or stuff that affects the rendering"... /shrug Hard to hear the whole quote, because Musco was frantically interrupting him it seemed to me, trying to get him not to say anything "they're not ready to talk about yet"...the usual EA/BW mantra.

Edited by Saregon

The fact we have to download another 90GB of data might give the game away....but it would be worth it .

Nothing wrong with dreaming, it's what gets us going at times

When I downloaded the PTS (around the release of 6) I had to download basically the whole game - around 40 gig.

There's nothing to suggest that the download would get much bigger just because of a new engine. However, putting a new engine on the PTS would let the cat out of the proverbial bag. 😉

It seems like devs nowadays are too afraid of roadmaps. They don't have to attach dates... just let us know of what you have in mind for the year; it doesn't mean all of it will come true and we understand that. It just sucks being left in the dark pretty much everywhere MMO-related these days.

LucasArts has been gone for seven years, though?

Yes, Lucas died when Disney took over. The thing is though, the framework for this game, was based on copying WoW. It’s what killed Galaxies, changing the existing gameplay to make it more like WoW, in the hope that players would leave that game and come to Galaxies. Lucas did this, at the cost of the existing player base. The same pattern was followed in the beginning years of this game, too. If WoW did it, SWTOR followed, to the same exact point of losing existing subs for the mythical player base that would come if they copied. There’s -still- a significant amount of that going on even now, with the Kai Ziaken weekend vendor being aped directly from Final Fantasy. Kai is nowhere near as destructive as ripping out complexity and replacing it with generic templates, but it’s still more of the same. I do applaud the 6.x gear changes, allowing folks to have more than one possible option for best in class armor, but it already seems the team is trending back toward the single template recipe.

Someone else asked where I saw them mention the end of the year for a big announcement. Unfortunately, I don’t remember, as I read quite a lot of this type of stuff. Maybe Google may yield a result?

This topic deserves more attention. Come on guys, what do you expect to see. They said their planning something big for the tenth anniversary. As someone who plays since December 20 2011 I saw good times and bad times of this game. I don't want to live through another dead year. I want climactic operations and fascinating story to comeback to with all my alts. But will it be another heated up old meat like emperor or maybe they will give us something interesting in the unknown regions such as Chiss Empire, some other threat? Will there be some continuation of the war? New exciting heroes and not one shots who escape from memory quicker than your morning kraken.

Hello dear developers, please give us something to wait for. The mandalorian hype is still fresh. I meet new people who joined because of the show and they need more incentive to stay. Show us some new raid, dungeons? Maybe you can scale old operations and dungeons to actually feel your power and not be toned down like a little kid. I want to see my big numbers on soa and kephess. How about exploring the direction of returning to class driven story.

I know I am expecting much, especially after coronavirus with all the problems with voice recording and working from home. However with all honesty it's the best time to make swtor shine and appeal to bee players. Lots of players stay at home and all they want is something to be exciting about, such as good news for 2021.

I have spoken,

May the force be with you all.

I fully agree with everything you said.

Mr. Kanneg officially stated in 2017 or 2018 that he will no longer provide any roadmaps. So don't expect one for 2021. You will be disappointed. He is just following through with everything he mentioned when he took over as lead producer.

I wrote a made up roadmap about a week ago. It's the best you will get. And I also think it will be quite precise (maybe too positive and hopeful). I will get back to it in December 2021 and make a list on what I got right and wrong.

Yeah, but:

Every piece of software of significance (certainly with a user base) has a road map of some kind. Users/players need to know there is a reason to stick around. So, you really can't get rid of the concept of a road map. You do get to choose whether you do it well or poorly.

I'd have to go back and watch again, but I swear in the last stream they did, toward the end, Keith started to say something like "are we going to talk about the rendering stuff..." and got swiftly interrupted by Musco, saying they had to wait and talk about other stuff next year, and the stream came to an end.. I remember being like ***?! Did he almost reveal a new engine? /shrug

Like I said, I'd have to go back and find the video again, but I swear that's what he started saying...

EDIT: Went back and found the clip and his exact words were when talking about the 10th year coming up, and getting interrupted by Musco, he was saying something like "...stuff that changes, or stuff that affects the rendering"... /shrug Hard to hear the whole quote, because Musco was frantically interrupting him it seemed to me, trying to get him not to say anything "they're not ready to talk about yet"...the usual EA/BW mantra.

Pure speculation...

why would they update the engine after 10 years and with ea license expiring in 2022 or 2023... Makes no sense to invest in something that big in an old game.

But... yeah, I would of course like it .

Pure speculation...

why would they update the engine after 10 years and with ea license expiring in 2022 or 2023... Makes no sense to invest in something that big in an old game.

But... yeah, I would of course like it .

as there is '.big' plans for the tenth anniversary, chances are they know they are going to get an extension, so they 'might' be planning on it. Again, we won't know till it's announced, but we can hope :)

Yeah, but:

Every piece of software of significance (certainly with a user base) has a road map of some kind. Users/players need to know there is a reason to stick around. So, you really can't get rid of the concept of a road map. You do get to choose whether you do it well or poorly.

I fully agree with you. That's why I wrote a roadmap for them. ;)

can we get the broken down looking one that is in collection, but we've never gotten....

Just take the last one and repaint with rust and grime ... add squeaky wheels and other annoying signs of deterioration and negligence !

:D

My own version of a road map:

*** New story updates: 02-14-2021 (foundation laid for the next series)

.....................................06-29-2021 ( next step in the story released)

.....................................09-28-2021 ( Major release in story ... stage set for December 10th Anniversary story release)

*** New stronghold released: Space station ... released date: 06-29-2021

*** New FP / PvP zones and Ops released ... 06-29-2021

***DECEMBER 2021:

* New Strong hold (ski chalet)

* New class and new companion ( They know which one !! ) :D

* 2 New FP's (one story based .. the other sets the stage for the future of SWTOR)

* Special 10th anniversary celebration "figure print" of favorite character w/ companion made available

* Special 10th anniversary weapons and armor released

* Companions completely overhauled and released with fresh new interactions (some of which are repeatable)

--------

No I haven't been drinking ! Never touch the stuff !! :D

After spending all day shopping for "office supplies" ( * ) ... I'm really fired up to see some good things happen in STWOR !!

( * ) There are a few of you who will remember the "new office" I've been shopping for !! That could very well happen this year !! Sooo today we picked up a few supplies to help out in that department !

I just logged in after a long break from SWTOR. After Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne I was disgusted and thought that a break was in order. I played a bit after onslaught launched but I still had that "SWTOR is dead" feeling. I logged in today out of curiosity and saw what a ghost town Fleet, Korriban and Coruscant had become. What's going on with SWTOR in 2021? Is there a road map? Has EA given up on developing new content? Is the game dead? I guess I won't re-sub if there are no plans to try and put out the dumpster fire that was created after Shadows of Revan. Pathetic. This was one of the absolute best MMO's on the market. SWTOR is starting to remind me of Anthem and Fallout 76. What a joke. :(

I just logged in after a long break from SWTOR. After Fallen Empire and Eternal Throne I was disgusted and thought that a break was in order. I played a bit after onslaught launched but I still had that "SWTOR is dead" feeling. I logged in today out of curiosity and saw what a ghost town Fleet, Korriban and Coruscant had become. What's going on with SWTOR in 2021? Is there a road map? Has EA given up on developing new content? Is the game dead? I guess I won't re-sub if there are no plans to try and put out the dumpster fire that was created after Shadows of Revan. Pathetic. This was one of the absolute best MMO's on the market. SWTOR is starting to remind me of Anthem and Fallout 76. What a joke. :(

No idea what you're talking about. My server had 5 fleet instances yesterday evening and the starter planets and DK/Coruscant are lively as well.

They did bring out Onslaught last year and there is reason to believe the next one is coming end of this year. But new content has always been at a trickle and BW has proven to be very poor when it comes to roadmaps. I guess I understand the request for one, but I don't get where the expectation comes from.

No idea what you're talking about. My server had 5 fleet instances yesterday evening and the starter planets and DK/Coruscant are lively as well.

Was on Korriban during the 'quiet' times, and we had 3 instances, 2 had 100 people in them. I've been there recently too, with 7 instances. It's like those people that walking around with the signs that proclaim 'The end is nigh' They just want to be that one person that is right, even if it takes a lifetime ;)