The future of SWTOR

BarbLindemann

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaming is like living. We do it until we can't. Just play.

Thats so true.

I forgot to mention that even a game lives on after the official end. For example, Merridian 59 no longer has official support, but can still be played via fanservers in the respective countries, even Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided is very much alive, on a fan server, with a really large community and thousands of players online at the same time. I know that's not the same as an official support, but in Merdian 59 for example, sometimes even official databases were passed on, so you could keep your character. It always goes on somehow. But SWTOR is far from that point, there would have to be a new, bigger and better StarWars MMO to make SWTOR really uninteresting and even then, there will be people who prefer to play SWTOR than the new one, as Star Wars Galaxies shows very nicely.

So, as you said, if there is a possibility to play, people will play, no matter what happens. we should not make our fun dependent on speculative forecasts and live in the here and now and enjoy the present and not be afraid of the future, because none of us knows what it will look like.

Such things just reinforces my opinion on D's "smartest move", but there would be a fair bit of moving parts to line up for that to happen properly. The potential for what could then be done then is enormous, but TBH I just don't see D having the courage or foresight to make that plunge, but only time will tell.

Well, on one hand, nice to see the folks at D actually stepping up to the 21st with the rest of us, and I am very happy to be proven wrong in that they did actually have to foresight and courage to take the plunge. Now, what they end up doing with it remains to be seen, but at least it is a positive start. Now if only the other bit of that "smart move" would come to be...

But, LucasFilm Gaming (LFG)? really?? LucasArts was soo much better sounding and has soo much more pull with the existing old timers. Should have played on that one to the fullest. tsk tsk

Edited by Kaveat

The majority of the content involving the main story is.

The voice acting in GW2 is done very differently. A lot of it is in the open world and you just hear the voices with the character models present. So you're just standing around hearing people talk or doing some talking yourself. This leads to irritation if you're not into the story because it's not a very high quality story as it is. And at least here you can skip ahead, whereas in GW2 you can't skip those conversations because a lot of times you need to wait for the conversations to end before you can go on.

The vanilla was done somewhat differently so when they went to conversations you'd be pulled out of the game to a background and two figures (one on the left and one on the right) and they would have a conversation like that.

There may be a lot of voice acting as such, at least for the main story, but it's nowhere near as immersive as SWTOR.