The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

I keep trying to get people to understand this.

Wear any orange robe you can find, hide your headgear and the only thing you are a clone in is your gloves, boots and legs and you retain your set bonus. If they give us back the color matching as they have been talking about, you can make those all match based on the color of a robe of your choosing. It also means you can avoid all the ugly shoulderpads and hats people keep whining about. It also looks like the stat fall-off will be statistically negligible.

Amazing how small an issue this really is once you start looking it's facts in detail.

For me, it's not an issue of being a clone, but wearing armor that I find absolutely hideous or contrary to my interpretation of how my character should look.

I put up with it in WoW for 7 years, and I'm over it.

BW gives us a wide range of customization options from 1-49, then yanks the rug out from under our feet at 50. Non-moddable armor is the best solution they could devise to prevent players from farming the "gloves" boss, and that is a mediorce solution at best.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great... this is one of the many reasons I quit WoW. Everybody looked the same and everybody had epic gear. If everybody has epic gear it's just regular gear. If everybody has the same gear then I generally don't want it.

Put in wardrobe slots like in RIFT, and everything would be fine.

Seriously. If something can be fixed with duct tape, you don't throw together a half measure made of paper clips, chewing gum, and rubber bands, instead. Appearance tab/transmogrify/wardrobe works. Mod gear is fail. The blog where they outright say they couldn't figure it out for 50 and just locked mods confirms it.

I'm sorry your little scheme doesn't work out in practice, Bioware, but expecting players to tolerate your failure is unlikely to work out well.

And no, wearing boots, gloves, and pants I don't like with a hidden helm and hoping a robe covers it doesn't cut it. My character should look how I want it to look, anything less is completely, utterly, laughably unacceptable for an MMORPG in 2012.

Seriously. If something can be fixed with duct tape, you don't throw together a half measure made of paper clips, chewing gum, and rubber bands, instead. Appearance tab/transmogrify/wardrobe works. Mod gear is fail. The blog where they outright say they couldn't figure it out for 50 and just locked mods confirms it...

...My character should look how I want it to look, anything less is completely, utterly, laughably unacceptable for an MMORPG in 2012.

I wouldn't say the mod-system is dead yet. It needs to be fixed, BW shot themselves in the foot when the uniformed the "Armoring" mod, it needs to be broken up to each armor type: Feed, Hands, Chest, Head, etc. That prevents the "farming the easy boss" issue.

So I can wear the chest I like and just hope it matches with the PvP and PvE sets I have to wear to stay competitive... if the chest can even have the same stats as the chest from the sets.

Competitive in my book is equal footing, not "everyone gets a trophy for participating".

They will NEVER add or implement an appearance tab because of the orange moddable armor system. Period. The problem is:

1. Not being able to get Augment Slots on orange armor that are bought or found. It is also not 100% confirmed ( from my knowledge ) that you can critically craft orange armor to gain an Augment Slot. The solution to this is make it so you can RE orange armor that you have found or bought so that you can learn a schematic, do this so that people can critically craft them to gain Augment Slots ( assuming this is confirmed ).

2. There simply isn't a high value of mods that are being crafted at this time or found through PvE. Not to mention that the high level mods are locked into the gear because of the problem they were having in beta where people would just get mods off the first bosses, and pull them out. The solution to this is make it so you can find the mods off bosses in PvE or acquire them with commendations from PvP or perhaps both. It does not need to be a free gift to people, but it needs to be obtainable with some type of effort.

3. There needs to me MORE options for orange moddable gear through Social/PvE/PvP. This game is not about obtaining the "best" gear, as much as it is about obtaining the "best looking" gear. The solution to this is purely adding more content, while doing this they can create more variety of gear that people can choose to use, but continue to keep that "look" they said they want each class to represent. ( plz give Assassins Pants =) ) They have stated that there is an orange moddable armor piece for every green item in the game. That is clearly a good thing, but more unique looks like Slave, Sand People, etc. needs to be boosted.

4. Color does not seem like an absolute must, but creativity and making sure characters don't look like a cheese ball or off an assembly line is very important. I believe adding a color option to gear would make people look really unique in a lot of different ways. Who is to say there can't be an option to be a decked out Black Storm Trooper or a White Sand Person. Making whole sets color changeable or even individual pieces color changeable can give a lot of variety to looks. This doesn't directly refer to the OP, but the idea of orange moddable armor is uniqueness, and this adds to that. However this can steer away from the Star Wars look, so this should be taken lightly.

The key here is to make orange moddable armor give that unique look you want, while being COMPLETELY competitive with the highest level of non-moddable armor. It should not be easy, but it should not be impossible either. Also we got to take into consideration that the game has been out 18 days, and their approach to end game content is probably like their approach to release, which was to ease people into it. I personally would like to see them implement armor sets that mimic something similar to our favorite Star Wars characters as well as many others in the Star Wars universe. ( i.e. Boba Fett, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Storm Trooper, etc. ) I have complete faith in BW to continue to make this game better and better as time goes on. There first attempt at additions for the PvP they have mentioned are great, so being optimistic is not an issue.

Edited by ISpartanVI

i guess racing to 50 wasnt the most brightest idea you and your friends made in a game that wasnt ready for launch. you will have to wait for it to be fixed which might(but i doubt it) be within a 2-6 week period when more people join the minority at 50 now. in other words when a majority are at 50 end game content problems will get resolved.

be patient the game is new. it wasnt 100% ready for launch. why is this so hard for people to understand?

I wouldn't say the mod-system is dead yet. It needs to be fixed, BW shot themselves in the foot when the uniformed the "Armoring" mod, it needs to be broken up to each armor type: Feed, Hands, Chest, Head, etc. That prevents the "farming the easy boss" issue.

This. You don't need to scrap the mod system, nor should Bioware scrap it. You just have to implement the above-mentioned system, which has been suggested by hundreds of players on this very thread. It is not that difficult.

High end pvp gear with expertise >>>>> Everything else in the game is crap

Look the same as everyone else >>>>> Create your own style using moddable orange armor but suck compared to everyone with pvp gear.

High end pvp gear with expertise >>>>> Crafting armor and mods is pointless at lvl 50

So basically everyone is forced into pvp and to look the same to get the best gear in the game. Crafting is pointless except for biochem for boosts and heals, and Cybertech for reusable grenades.

Thats how it is in swtor game mechanics and yes I totally do not agree with it and yes I think it sucks.

Am I mistaken on any of this or is it correct? Just to be sure....

Edited by TRONEON

This problem can be solved in time. They made this really cool modding system, they'll find a good solution.

I agree that the mod system could be corrected, mostly by following the suggestions others have made in thread. I'll even be somewhat patient about it: for me, personally, they have 3 months. I spent 6 years having my character look like trash and begging for a solution in WoW, I won't be putting up with the same situation again for long.

I also retain my belief that an appearance tab would be superior to modding due to its simplicity and familiarity and that all the developers did by refusing the apptab and forcing the mod system upon us was make a headache for players and themselves alike. Occam's razor, after all.

I don't find it that cool: it's gems and enchanting ham-fistedly tied to appearance for no conceivable reason. It makes customizing your appearance more annoying than in other MMOs. It could not be properly worked out for release. It was a bad decision. But, by all means, fix away. I can concede that the ship has sailed, I just demand the leaks be fixed as soon as humanly possible.

So long as I can wear what I want (within reasonable class restrictions) without having to sacrifice any statistical advantage whatsoever, I'll be happy. Mod away. :)

I agree that the mod system could be corrected, mostly by following the suggestions others have made in thread. I'll even be somewhat patient about it: for me, personally, they have 3 months. I spent 6 years having my character look like trash and begging for a solution in WoW, I won't be putting up with the same situation again for long.

I also retain my belief that an appearance tab would be superior to modding due to its simplicity and familiarity and that all the developers did by refusing the apptab and forcing the mod system upon us was make a headache for players and themselves alike. Occam's razor, after all.

I don't find it that cool: it's gems and enchanting ham-fistedly tied to appearance for no conceivable reason. It makes customizing your appearance more annoying than in other MMOs. It could not be properly worked out for release. It was a bad decision. But, by all means, fix away. I can concede that the ship has sailed, I just demand the leaks be fixed as soon as humanly possible.

So long as I can wear what I want (within reasonable class restrictions) without having to sacrifice any statistical advantage whatsoever, I'll be happy. Mod away. :)

Pretty certain you are not going to be happy then. Effortless absolute flexibility with optimal statting likely is not even a goal of BioWare's. The mod system is a core that can be adjusted from to solve all the actual item cutomization limitiations unless those limitations are:

1. not being an appearance tab
  2. investing effort into an optimized look
  3. accepting anything but, exact looks and 100% optimization

I'd expect to see more and more variety with a few exclusive elite looks that probably unlock as new tiers of exclusive purples are released and 95%+ optimization making just about any look competitvely viable.

Edited by Matte_Black

I think people would just be happy with like... a dev response with a link or something to the article/post/thread/whatever containing information on how they plan to address this concern... and of all the QQ threads on this forum, I think this is one of the few legitimate ones... I dunno that's just what I think :)

Based on most of the threads here, I'd have to disagree with that idea.

If it leads to MMO of clones like most MMO's before they implement at "customable system" then its a big problem, Bioware should solve it or it will downgrade the game.

It is a shame since there are so many nice gears in the game to shoose from. Why play all this space combat for example if the space suit is just goof gear in the end.

The really annoying thing is that this is a problem that already got solved many times, even in this very game.

Look at the commendation marks, what are they there for? So you can buy the gear you want, be it items or mods. So all they really need to do is create a new set of tokens and the right vendors for them, there they can sell you ugly armors with locked slots, or just the actual mods from those armors at the same price of the armor.

They just need to make mods BoE/BoP, which would also just happen to help crafters a ton.

Edited by rocketeerabc

Some like the armor and some don't. I would not want to take that away from any player or designer. For those of us who would rather wear a garbage bag than look like a Sith peacock, there needs to be an optimal alternative.

The solution is quite simple.

1. Convert Artifact Gear to Custom (Moddable)
  2. Code Artifact Armor Mods as BOP and Assign a Slot ID
  3. Restrict Slot ID to Slot Specific Gear
  4. $$$

Edited by G-Seven
Optimal not Viable

Some like the armor and some don't. I would not want to take that away from any player or designer. For those of us who would rather wear a garbage bag than look like a Sith peacock, there needs to be an optimal alternative.

The solution is quite simple.

1. Convert Artifact Gear to Custom (Moddable)
  2. Code Artifact Armor Mods as BOP and Assign a Slot ID
  3. Restrict Slot ID to Slot Specific Gear
  4. $$$

The only problem is that this solution is anything but simple.

The only problem is that this solution is anything but simple.

I would disagree as a mid-level database analyst and rogue programmer. This project could be accomplished will relatively little effort, perhaps 1-2 weeks development time plus testing.

The scripts already exist to determine if the item is appropriate for the slot, for example try equipping a pair of gloves in the boot slot. That same logic could be applied to mods with specific attributes. The next task would be to programmatically recreate the lvl 50 artifact gear with slot specific mods and then globally replace every instance of the existing item IDs with the new item IDs.