The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

MODDABLE "orange" quality gear ONLY for levels 1-49, very disapointed :-(

Rheemus

I say being forced to upgrade something that looks like heavy armor to a half dress half armor breaks immersion.

Mainly because you can have heavy armor tanking stats in a slave girl outfit, or something equally silly. Under the current orange moddable system, the graphic designers have the ultimate say on what qualifies as appropriate "heavy" orange armor. Now you can argue that the designers have made some goofy/stupid/immersion-breaking heavy armor, and that's fine, but that's a different topic altogether.

More fundamentally, the point is to talk about fixing the system they have, rather than replacing it with a completely separate system altogether. I and many others like the concept of the orange/moddable system for many reasons, immersion being only one of them.

If you just want to petition for an appearance tab instead and entirely, fine, but 1) I don't think that's particularly useful to this thread and 2) it doesn't fix all the problems either; namely, what about stat customization (i.e. same stat budget but different allocations)? Modding allows for that, appearance tabs don't.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mainly because you can have heavy armor tanking stats in a slave girl outfit, or something equally silly. Under the current orange moddable system, the graphic designers have the ultimate say on what qualifies as appropriate "heavy" orange armor. Now you can argue that the designers have made some goofy/stupid/immersion-breaking heavy armor, and that's fine, but that's a different topic altogether.

More fundamentally, the point is to talk about fixing the system they have, rather than replacing it with a completely separate system altogether. I and many others like the concept of the orange/moddable system for many reasons, immersion being only one of them.

If you just want to petition for an appearance tab instead and entirely, fine, but 1) I don't think that's particularly useful to this thread and 2) it doesn't fix all the problems either; namely, what about stat customization (i.e. same stat budget but different allocations)? Modding allows for that, appearance tabs don't.

You hit the target on the head with a silly tab option. Thank You.

Then make the heavy armors wear heavy armor, glad we settled your whole arguement with one line, move along.

ps, modding at 50, is basically enchanting / gemming / reforging, same **** different way of looking at it.

I'm so glad people are finally seeing this problem..

It is total garbage! Why have orange items at all if they're worthless end game?

When I started this game I looted a very nice chest piece for my Scoundrel and have spent thousands of credits keeping it upgraded.

Now at 50 I can't use it and I have to look like everyone else.

Great.

BW please fix this.

Also: Am I wrong or does level 5 orange gear have less armor than a level 45 orange item with the same armor mod? If so this is also unacceptable.

How does an appearance tab break immersion? I swear you Rp'ers complain about everything. I say being forced to upgrade something that looks like heavy armor to a half dress half armor breaks immersion. An A-tab adds to immersion, as you choose what you look like, as you would if you were in that situation. It's also not cheating, there is no realm of possibility where it is cheating, how utterly absurd a thing to say.

how does an appearance tab break immersion ?

let me ask you a reciprocal question :

how would you like to have it so that, instead of your character making a shooting/strike animation, it just stood there, and just the damage calculations were made and you had a text showing 'you hit the giant centipede for 100 damage' over your head ?

you wouldnt like that would you. because, it breaks IMMERSION. it looks LESS real than how it was before.

same with appearance tab. do you have an appearance tab in your life ? can you change the look of the jacked you are wearing, by clicking a user interface ? no. you can only modify the look by modifying the actual item.

there is a reason why we are going all this hassle of creating game mechanics, environments, 3d models - it is to give the as much immersion as possible.

the more shortcuts you take to fix things in a game the more you break immersion

Repost...'cause mine got buried.

Quick question for those who are lvl 50 and can maybe answer this question...

Say you are at end game and had 1 set of top raid gear that you've been collecting and wearing, and 1 set of orange gear that has been modded and fitted with the best mods you could find.

How much of a difference in power would there be between the two sets?

I'm not talking about the 'Power' stat, I mean in terms of better healing/damage/hp... overall character usefulness/survivability...power.

5%? 10%? 40%?

What I'm asking is would it be a huge noticable difference? I'm the type of person to see a better looking armor, with a -2 Strength -4 Endurance -2 Critical Rating and think... the difference is trivial... I prefer to look the way I want.

how would you like to have it so that, instead of your character making a shooting/strike animation, it just stood there, and just the damage calculations were made and you had a text showing 'you hit the giant centipede for 100 damage' over your head ?

you wouldnt like that would you. because, it breaks IMMERSION. it looks LESS real than how it was before.

same with appearance tab. do you have an appearance tab in your life ? can you change the look of the jacked you are wearing, by clicking a user interface ? no. you can only modify the look by modifying the actual item.

there is a reason why we are going all this hassle of creating game mechanics, environments, 3d models - it is to give the as much immersion as possible.

the more shortcuts you take to fix things in a game the more you break immersion

Another terrible point by you, the "jacked" or Jacket, I have I like, so I wouldn't need a tab, because I picked it because of how it looked. Nor do I have an appearance tab in life, because crazy enough, real clothes dont have stats on them, I dont throw on a shirt and get +5 strength. Appearance tabs add to immersion, as a person with your money and prowess would have whatever options he'd like open to him, he wouldn't wear a bucket on his head, and a dress. Just no, try again.

To even talk about how they care about immersion is laughable, a vanguards top damage is MELEE, getting shot in the face a 100000 times and living, a tank that wears a robe, light side sith inquisitors and warriors, do they even know the definition of the dark side of the force? dark side jedi consular and knights? I mean cmon. Troopers not being able to use a certain crystal according to allignment? makes no damn sense, we dont use the force.

Why not make it so you can put orange gear (or any other gear) in the appearance tab. You get no stats from it but you look like you're wearing that set.

It would be an easy solution.

I could totes mcgoats live with that.

Another terrible point by you, the "jacked" or Jacket, I have I like, so I wouldn't need a tab, because I picked it because of how it looked. Nor do I have an appearance tab in life, because crazy enough, real clothes dont have stats on them, I dont throw on a shirt and get +5 strength. Appearance tabs add to immersion, as a person with your money and prowess would have whatever options he'd like open to him, he wouldn't wear a bucket on his head, and a dress. Just no, try again.

It must be really frustrating to want something so badly and know you'll never get it. The appearance tab boat sailed a long time ago. They went with the mod system, so you might as well just accept it. Ending each post with "try again" as if you're offering some irrefutable argument will never help you get what you want. You can argue about how pointless the mod system is till your face is red. It. won't. change. anything.

My reply is 37 pages in, so i don't know if anyone will end up reading this...

The current system in place only limits tanks in regards to PvE content/style. Why? Because the modification for armoring is primarily for the armor rating stat. Yes you also lose a handful of primary stats/endurance. But let's be honest here. You are capable of getting an armoring 23 artifact level (purple) to put in your armor for 8 daily commendations. How much is the rank 25-26 armoring really going to help? For tanks a ton. I know they need every ounce of mitigation and HP they can get. For everyone else? Being slightly below sub-optimal isn't going to ruin the flashpoint/operation.

PvP is a different story, and honestly I keep two sets of gear with me, PvP and my PvE. I can do normal content just find in PvP gear and I can do world PvP just fine in PvE gear. But if I know I am going into a Heroic FP, OP, or WZ I make sure I am in the right set of gear. Hell I am even looking for a social gear set to wear around just to look good (nothing has really caught my attention yet) like how I wore Arhat's gear around town in FFXI.

Edited by Angof

You're making a real world analogy in a completely fake fantasy video game. Ya there are no slave girl tanks. There also aren't lightsabers, spaceships, etc.

The "completely different system" is rather easy to implement. All they do is make another paper doll tab. You draw stats from one and appearance from the other. Problem solved. Everyone can look how they want without looking the same as everyone else and dealing with mismatched armor during most of their leveling.

The orange mod system is in no way a viable replacement for an appearance tab unless EVERYTHING is modable. Frankly it wasn't well thought out. It can add something to the game but should not be tied to getting the appearance you want.

Easy Fix: Slot-Lock Raid Mods, so that a mod pulled out of a chestpiece, and ONLY be put into another chestpiece. The mods are unique already so there shouldn't be to much trouble doing this. (If the mods were not unique then this entire argument is moot).

I think I understand where most of this is going ... I think. Soooo let me make a few statements here to make sure I'm on track.

1. Moddable: changing the different components to meet specs needed for individualized player capabilities

2. Apearances have nothing to do with "moddable".

3. Orange gear ( I have a few pieces) still needs to be swaped out for higher stats (the same as other gear ) as the game progresses ... only not near as often due to the availability of components that can be used with the gear.

4. Appearances can not be changed. If we don't like the way that they look ( and a few I don't ) we're stuck with it !

I know that as far as stats are concerned I can find what I'm looking for. ( It takes time ... but I can get them). However, frankly for the smuggler some of the head and chest pieces leave a lot to be desired. (for example: I did find a cool set of sunglasses of sorts ... but they were very low end at the beginning of the game. Now the only thing I can find are WW-I styled pilots head gear ... YUK ! Most of the chest pieces that have decent stats look more like life jackets from the same era. ***sigh***)

For what ever it is worth: from a graphics stand point this games does well. BUT from a design stand point (for the smuggler at least) ... IMHO there really needs to be a wider varriety of "style" available with similar stats. (or a hide key)

just my opinion

Easy Fix: Slot-Lock Raid Mods, so that a mod pulled out of a chestpiece, and ONLY be put into another chestpiece. The mods are unique already so there shouldn't be to much trouble doing this. (If the mods were not unique then this entire argument is moot).

What about set bonuses?

It must be really frustrating to want something so badly and know you'll never get it. The appearance tab boat sailed a long time ago. They went with the mod system, so you might as well just accept it. Ending each post with "try again" as if you're offering some irrefutable argument will never help you get what you want. You can argue about how pointless the mod system is till your face is red. It. won't. change. anything.

It never went anywhere, they said it'd be a post patch deal if anything. Only one red in the face is you, nerd raging on every a-tab thread, some serious deprivation of something you must have to hate this so much.