why doesnt pvp award social points

GeneralGyro

Because it would result in people switching to PVP instances to farm social points - potentially by lurking on starter worlds or capital planets and preying on weaker players - I suppose...

it is not like getting social that way is detrimental or affects anyone else in the game. and the last part, weaker players doesnt apply anymore since everyone is scaled. and im more referring to the warzones. not outer world gameplay

Edited by GeneralGyro

it is not like getting social that way is detrimental or affects anyone else in the game. and the last part, weaker players doesnt apply anymore since everyone is scaled. and im more referring to the warzones. not outer world gameplay

The emphasised text is nonsense. If you as a level 75 in full 306 on Imp Balmorra, for example, cannot squish a level 28 character, you're doing something very, very wrong. You have all the abilities and utilities, all the special procs, a monstrously high Crit, and so on, and that lowbie does *not*.

Why doesn't having a conversation while in a heroic, flashpoint, operation, or story mission award valor?

Wait - I know.

Because social are tied to conversions while in a group and valor is tied to PVP.

If you want social points, do the activities that reward social points just as those that want valor must do PVP.

Edited by DawnAskham

Why doesn't having a conversation while in a heroic, flashpoint, operation, or story mission award valor?

Wait - I know.

Because social are tied to conversions while in a group and valor is tied to PVP.

If you want social points, do the activities that reward social points just as those that want valor must do PVP.

that doesnt make any sense. valor has a detriment to players if they have none , cant queue for ranked right until level 25

The posts attempting to rationalize why pvp doesn't give out social points are more revealing of that player's prejudices than providing a useful argument. Yeah right I bet this is *really* an anti-farming measure lol.

The real answer, like most irrational elements of this game, is that BW built the mechanics in this inflexible, arbitrary manner, the devs who designed it that way are gone, and the current devs have completely forgotten about this, or for that matter, social points in general. Trying to assign meaning to these decisions is pointless.

PvP.... Player vcs Player.... Social? Just because your in a group of other players that are killing other players that are killing other player?

One Player KILLING another Player is about as Anti-Social as you can get.

killing bosses is about as anti-social as you can get lol

If you are in a group and you queue for a flash point, you get social points.

If you are in a group and your queue for pvp, you don’t get social points,

I would argue both are equally as social and should both be treated the same.

i agree with you trixxie thanks

Valor, social points, standing in varying factions, light and dark.... are all measures for varying activities in the game.

Just accept it and move on.

If you need to gain certain benefits or status, you have to work for it in the prescribed way.

I don't see why you should gain rep with the bounty brokers for flying in GSF, nor should you gain valour for PVE flashpoints. Nor should you get achievements for things you didn't do.

It's not like social and valor count for a huge amount. - A title, few minor unlocks. - And TBH valor 25+ and Social 10 are not that hard to achieve. Both are farmable in a few sessions play at most.

Wait - I know.

You get social points for Ops boss kills as well.

you also get a few social for completing bonus missions in heroics, if you are grouped up.

and IIRC if you are in a raid group for killing World bosses. - Though my memory on this is somewhat hazy. - I certainly gained a lot of social when 2x WB kills on Ossus ( for the weekly) was a thing.

you also get a few social for completing bonus missions in heroics, if you are grouped up.

and IIRC if you are in a raid group for killing World bosses. - Though my memory on this is somewhat hazy. - I certainly gained a lot of social when 2x WB kills on Ossus ( for the weekly) was a thing.

So the social points from the Ossus world bosses was because the [WEEKLY]Masterwork Data Crystal mission was considered an ops or pvp mission, I think. I don't recall ever getting social points just from a WB kill.

But like Steve said, you do get social points from individual ops bosses ... not just completing the ops [WEEKLY], so maybe I missed it.

The real answer, like most irrational elements of this game, is that BW built the mechanics in this inflexible, arbitrary manner, the devs who designed it that way are gone, and the current devs have completely forgotten about this, or for that matter, social points in general.

probably true

I think farming is probably possible, but pvp seems like a pretty painful way to farm them, relative to other methods in game. Personally, I see little downside to adding social points to pvp. Add them to the daily/weekly instead of matches, or scale it based on loss v win to minimize farming.

Valor was originally supposed to be a gate way towards entry into ranked pvp. (But because it’s so low a gate, it’s worthless).

Social points allow you to open up rewards and have access to vendor items.

Neither of these things conflict with each other’s or detract from the other and so there is zero logical reason that pvping can’t award social points too.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Other than the idea back then was valor for PvP and social points for PvE. It's not actually about the social aspect of the activity but just something different to earn for each of them.

You used to get the social points through conversations only and I think you also needed a group to really earn any points, not sure about that though, too much time has passed. The points for bosses were added later, as well as to my knowledge the earning of valor was changed into getting easier too, more points per WZ or Weekly, something like that.

In the end both are relics of systems/ideas long abandoned. The titles and social vendors are still there, as well as some as old things that still do require a valor rank and of course the ranked requirement, otherwise it's just like the legacy levels, the space missions on rails and a lot of other stuff. Old and abandoned content.

Not that I'm against any changes in general but, if you add social points in PvP you'll have to add valor to PvE too. Which would make the entry barrier into ranked even less useful and given the track record with changing these old things I'd rather not have the devs risk breaking it completely ;)

Other than the idea back then was valor for PvP and social points for PvE. It's not actually about the social aspect of the activity but just something different to earn for each of them.

You used to get the social points through conversations only and I think you also needed a group to really earn any points, not sure about that though, too much time has passed. The points for bosses were added later, as well as to my knowledge the earning of valor was changed into getting easier too, more points per WZ or Weekly, something like that.

In the end both are relics of systems/ideas long abandoned. The titles and social vendors are still there, as well as some as old things that still do require a valor rank and of course the ranked requirement, otherwise it's just like the legacy levels, the space missions on rails and a lot of other stuff. Old and abandoned content.

Not that I'm against any changes in general but, if you add social points in PvP you'll have to add valor to PvE too. Which would make the entry barrier into ranked even less useful and given the track record with changing these old things I'd rather not have the devs risk breaking it completely ;)

Why would you need to add valor to PvE? Valor literally has nothing to do with pve and its got no vendor rewards associated with it that gate you from buying things. A pver who never goes into pvp wouldn’t even know what it’s for. Where as a pvper with low social points can’t buy stuff from vendors and would definitely notice a benefit.

Why would you need to add valor to PvE? Valor literally has nothing to do with pve and its got no vendor rewards associated with it that gate you from buying things. A pver who never goes into pvp wouldn’t even know what it’s for. Where as a pvper with low social points can’t buy stuff from vendors and would definitely notice a benefit.

You are wrong there, the old (crafted) PvP sets still have valor rank restrictions, a lot of PvE players are interested in those in order to look like the Dread Masters and just as with the vendors for social gear there also still is a vendor for crystals, mounts and pets that all require valor rank.

So if you want to give social points to PvP for access to the social gear vendors it's only fair to also enable PvE players to access that valor rank related vendor too. By now the real PVP rewards are bought by the PvP reward token anyway.

Edited by Khaleijo

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.