I wonder how many Steam players are going to quit at character creation ...

StrikePrice

You must not have made a character in a while.

It's not hard at all to find names, so long as you don't try to use one the random name generator makes for you

I only use it to find one I kinda like, and then go messing around with the letters, apostrophes (especially easy if you are a Twi'lek character and want a universe accurate name) etc.

If I'm really desperate, I just add a last name

Edited by MadDutchman

I just pick an animal I like or reminds me of my character and use it's scientific name (or part of it). Sounds "exotic" enough for Star but not gibberish.

Ha Ha Ha! that's F****** hilarious! Though, to be fair I look up the name of animals I like and find them in different languages to name my toons ha ha ha.

Edited by AFadedMemory

Ha Ha Ha! that's F****** hilarious! Though, to be fair I look up the name of animals I like and find them in different languages to name my toons ha ha ha.

Every time I see someone with the name that means something in my native language, I wonder if they speak it or just picked the name for the same reasons as you. Then I look at my toons' names and wonder if I accidentaly picked one that means something hilarious in another language.

Although it's tricky, it's far from impossible. I can only say that it does take some effort on my part but I've been able to come up with good names for my characters.

For context, a couple of years ago I deleted all my characters cause I didn't want to come back to this game. Yeah yeah, I had anger issues. But when I came back last year it meant I had to start all over. I've been successful in getting 14 new characters an appropriate name. So it is possible, just takes a bit of effort. Though it might be true that just that effort might be enough to turn people off to the game. Hard to say.

Yes everyone with 3 ounces of creativity can make a new name, but having a general name purge in conjunction with the steam launch should have been obvious. Just purge the name of every account that has been inactive for more than a year and does not have an active subscription.

Yes everyone with 3 ounces of creativity can make a new name, but having a general name purge in conjunction with the steam launch should have been obvious. Just purge the name of every account that has been inactive for more than a year and does not have an active subscription.

For preference, *unlock* the names rather than actually deleting them from characters. That way, if someone comes back before the name is taken, he gets to keep it.

For preference, *unlock* the names rather than actually deleting them from characters. That way, if someone comes back before the name is taken, he gets to keep it.

^^^ Pretty much :)

There was a heated thread about this not so long ago, this would have been a great time to do an unlock.

Every time I see someone with the name that means something in my native language, I wonder if they speak it or just picked the name for the same reasons as you. Then I look at my toons' names and wonder if I accidentaly picked one that means something hilarious in another language.

At least most scientific names are Latin lol

The most difficult ones are Chiss name. Three parts with a pronounceable core name? Hmmm I need to go back to english class.

But yeah, don't end up like the new Venom comic villain whose name literally means the verb f*** in Swedish.

I sometimes get pm'd in Italian because of Latin names. Then when they find out that I'm not Italian they sort of apologise saying it means something in Italian. Then I say I know but it's actually Latin as well. Generally that means the end of the conversation lol.

At least most scientific names are Latin lol

Or non-Latin things that have been Latinised.

The most difficult ones are Chiss name. Three parts with a pronounceable core name? Hmmm I need to go back to english class.

I got Yen'reerr'traa (not yet taken at that time) from random generator. I'd pronounce that as "yen rear trah".

Made a few new toons recently, had 0 problem naming any of them.

Easy way : name + familly name, then unless you go for something really common / unoriginal, it's pretty unlikely someone came up with the exact same name combination for their characters.

other easy way : game name generator + changing a few things when you find one you like, like changing / adding some letter, accents or punctuation or using 2 names from the game's name generator to creat a "complete" name.

Chiss names are pretty easy too, as there are 3 parts in their names, it's even less likely someone is using the same combination as you.

Lazy way, when i'm really out of imagination : slamming my keyboard with my hands and see what comes out, that's completely random and can gives some nice things.

Lazy way, when i'm really out of imagination : slamming my keyboard with my hands and see what comes out, that's completely random and can gives some nice things.

lol, I'd end up picking a word that in another language would get me banned ;)

If I'm not looking for a specific name, I use the name gen, roll the fist name, copy it, roll it a second time, then depending which name sounds better as first of family, I just create it.

It isn't hard to make a name for a character on this game. I haven't had any issues with that since they added the option for the space to be used in the names. That made it easy to make a name.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.