Best Buy Chat

Xylos

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Rather disappointing. If this is any indicator as to how this game will be run I guess they dont care about keeping anyone long term and challenging WoW's hold on the MMO market. Sad :confused:

Yea the game is great...but the management is proving to be EA and not BW .... I smell to many EA policies in place... BW is getting ruined just like EA ruins every game by over extending their voice on everything

Im starting to worry now that the game will fail due to over involvement by the game killer known as EA.

"We'll be resetting Operations on Tuesday morning."

And thus a new meme was born.

so to refute all the server launch people, the actual game launch is dec 13. not next week, next week is the first operations reset after game launch.

Edited by HangmanBones

Yea the game is great...but the management is proving to be EA and not BW .... I smell to many EA policies in place... BW is getting ruined just like EA ruins every game by over extending their voice on everything

Im starting to worry now that the game will fail due to over involvement by the game killer known as EA.

Ok when you are finished using that high horse of yours I challenge you to come up with a comprehensive way to get an estimated 2.4 million pre-orders (number of ppl signed up on the website) simultaneously into a game without technical issues.

Right around the time you figure that out I will trade you for the answer to how hell freezes over.

Ok when you are finished using that high horse of yours I challenge you to come up with a comprehensive way to get an estimated 2.4 million pre-orders (number of ppl signed up on the website) simultaneously into a game without technical issues.

Right around the time you figure that out I will trade you for the answer to how hell freezes over.

I would actually trade you the equation of 2.4mil/7x%value.

Can I get hell frozen over?

i can tell you how to get pvp xp glitches, keep server pops artificially low and not force players to balance the character faction they are playing on a server. . . . . hmm it seems they already did that

Considering I have a major in Computer Information and Assurance and a prior major in Business: Marketing and Sales....

The answer is simple.

Plan ahead... Take time to order and setup your servers a month before planned launch. 1 month prior to launch they knew the current preorder numbers and the projected last minute numbers of + 20%. So in total for 2.4 million players you would need 120 servers. This number comes from a basic MMO server max of 20,000 accounts per server. You then setup 150 servers...making 80% of the space used (a decent number). You keep inventory of backup and replacement servers in storage and ready, preinstalled and ready for quick callibration.

Launching a early game access or head start you then devise simple procedures for adding in the population. This is done by Queue's. You open the servers, constantly monitor all servers for population, and temp close servers as they become high for low level area population. As those are temp closed off to new creation you create incentives for players to start on other servers by adding in a nifty 5% exp bonus for the first 24 hours of gametime on that server. This brings in population and spreads it out.

The game was tested for population on weekend beta. The servers were stress tested at this time for login, population control, and latency. Servers held strong as the login system was stress tested half a dozen times over the weekend.

--------------------

The way launch was handled was rather poor and favored the fanboys who activated a preorder code first... Some did preorder but did not get their code until much later and they were punished for the wrong doing of the vendor.

------------

however.... stress test weekend has 2 million users..... preorder codes used is around 940,000 meaning that the servers worked fine through stress testing.... the preorder population is much smaller and the servers would have handled it just fine.

Please discredit anything in here... however ignore grammer and spelling as this is a game, not work, and its 934 pm.

i can tell you how to get pvp xp glitches, keep server pops artificially low and not force players to balance the character faction they are playing on a server. . . . . hmm it seems they already did that

Yea it worked with 2 million in beta weekend stress tests.... however with half the beta being preorders ... well less than half at approx 940,000 ... the servers were started in waves instead.... not wise may i add

That's where Stephen Reid can always be found. And he disappeared to "his desk" shortly before "Guest 990" made his appearance.

990 = SR .... I think we all saw that.... and the other guest 260

Edited by Gummiebear

Considering I have a major in Computer Information and Assurance and a prior major in Business: Marketing and Sales....

The answer is simple.

Plan ahead... Take time to order and setup your servers a month before planned launch. 1 month prior to launch they knew the current preorder numbers and the projected last minute numbers of + 20%. So in total for 2.4 million players you would need 120 servers. This number comes from a basic MMO server max of 20,000 accounts per server. You then setup 150 servers...making 80% of the space used (a decent number). You keep inventory of backup and replacement servers in storage and ready, preinstalled and ready for quick callibration.

Launching a early game access or head start you then devise simple procedures for adding in the population. This is done by Queue's. You open the servers, constantly monitor all servers for population, and temp close servers as they become high for low level area population. As those are temp closed off to new creation you create incentives for players to start on other servers by adding in a nifty 5% exp bonus for the first 24 hours of gametime on that server. This brings in population and spreads it out.

The game was tested for population on weekend beta. The servers were stress tested at this time for login, population control, and latency. Servers held strong as the login system was stress tested half a dozen times over the weekend.

--------------------

The way launch was handled was rather poor and favored the fanboys who activated a preorder code first... Some did preorder but did not get their code until much later and they were punished for the wrong doing of the vendor.

------------

however.... stress test weekend has 2 million users..... preorder codes used is around 940,000 meaning that the servers worked fine through stress testing.... the preorder population is much smaller and the servers would have handled it just fine.

Please discredit anything in here... however ignore grammer and spelling as this is a game, not work, and its 934 pm.

Yea it worked with 2 million in beta weekend stress tests.... however with half the beta being preorders ... well less than half at approx 940,000 ... the servers were started in waves instead.... not wise may i add

990 = SR .... I think we all saw that.... and the other guest 260

Hey I can throw credentials around as well! (But I won't because it is pretentious and does not make your opinion any more valid).

IF the method you described was so easy, EVERY MMO in the last 20 years would have approached it that way and would have succeeded in doing so. NONE HAVE (at least not on this scale).

Time and money factor in significantly. Monitoring 150 servers for glitches on day 1 is a gargantuan task - likely not feasible. If something goes wrong, it can take days/weeks to track down the bug - evidenced by how most launches only get stable after a couple of days.

Bioware is doing the smart thing by introducing a number of servers at a time so that IF there is a problem, it is much easier to localize and fix.

TL;DR

Don't play armchair techie, you are not smart enough.

Hey I can throw credentials around as well! (But I won't because it is pretentious and does not make your opinion any more valid).

IF the method you described was so easy, EVERY MMO in the last 20 years would have approached it that way and would have succeeded in doing so. NONE HAVE (at least not on this scale).

Time and money factor in significantly. Monitoring 150 servers for glitches on day 1 is a gargantuan task - likely not feasible. If something goes wrong, it can take days/weeks to track down the bug - evidenced by how most launches only get stable after a couple of days.

Bioware is doing the smart thing by introducing a number of servers at a time so that IF there is a problem, it is much easier to localize and fix.

TL;DR

Don't play armchair techie, you are not smart enough.

It is possible and easy to do but it would cost them extra money which we know will never happen. It all will come down to how much they can make for how little they can do it. It is a business after all and thats how EA runs things.