Are DoT specs bad?

frillzx

''topping DPS charts'' just means you stay in the trench warfare fest that happens in mid or somewhere else. Least fun and most of the time productive way to play imo. So the specs being bad or good has little to do with being top dps.

Edited by Kaedusz

Ask yourself which of these you want to be:

Option 1, Burst DPS: A masculine killing-blow machine, whose enemies know they're dead as soon as you have them in your sights. They will pop all cooldowns in a futile attempt to escape your deathly gaze, and whimper like an infant to their healer/tank to please save them from this 300 IQ Deity of Death. It is no matter, because your burst chain hits even harder than you lift. When your opponent inevitably hits the ground, a dust cloud appears close to the massacre - his team scatters posthaste, tripping over their former comrade to avoid becoming your next victim. You flag his corpse as an example to your enemies and a reminder to your friends - this is YOUR territory. His girl questions if she chose the right mate as you give her a suggestive glance just before zoning out of the warzone, victorious.

Option 2, Pressure DPS: A pansy cleaver - or even worse - a dot spreader. You are an insect, nibbling away harmlessly while the other team's healer can't wait to see their hps at the end of this easymode game. You'll rack up meaningless fluff damage that produced 1 killing blow and break every cc just like you broke every aspiration your parents had for you. Bonus points if you can achieve 0 objective medals, as these meaningless trinkets would only distract from your purity of purpose: uselessness.

The decision is yours.

Edited by EnzoForMe

Ask yourself which of these you want to be:

Option 1, Burst DPS: A masculine killing-blow machine, whose enemies know they're dead as soon as you have them in your sights. They will pop all cooldowns in a futile attempt to escape your deathly gaze, and whimper like an infant to their healer/tank to please save them from this 300 IQ Deity of Death. It is no matter, because your burst chain hits even harder than you lift. When your opponent inevitably hits the ground, a dust cloud appears close to the massacre - his team scatters posthaste, tripping over their former comrade to avoid becoming your next victim. You flag his corpse as an example to your enemies and a reminder to your friends - this is YOUR territory. His girl questions if she chose the right mate as you give her a suggestive glance just before zoning out of the warzone, victorious.

Option 2, Pressure DPS: A pansy cleaver - or even worse - a dot spreader. You are an insect, nibbling away harmlessly while the other team's healer can't wait to see their hps at the end of this easymode game. You'll rack up meaningless fluff damage that produced 1 killing blow and break every cc just like you broke every aspiration your parents had for you. Bonus points if you can achieve 0 objective medals, as these meaningless trinkets would only distract from your purity of purpose: uselessness.

The decision is yours.

/laughs in viral elements tactical

DoT classes only shine when the enemy are bunched up a lot. Attacking and defending Doors in Voidstar for instance is a high pressure area - if you're on the fight intensive door.

But also numbers aren't everything. You could be doing 10K dps on one node, only to lose the other two.

You could be doing minimal dps while guarding a node or running with the huttball denying the other team a scoring opportunity.

Probably the best advice is to stick with one character and discipline and learn it inside-out - learn every corner of the maps for good positional play, read the chat like a hawk, and don't get drawn into unnecessary fights.

Playing other classes for a while also helps highlight their strengths and weaknesses.

OFC playing in a team of regular friends/associates will probably win more games on average than any DPs score solo.

Lastly, don't get hung up about it. You can do low DPS in a close-fought game with lots of twists and turns and it be immense fun, but on the other hand, pad huge numbers in a boring match, where no-one plants a bomb, or you get 3-apped or lose a huttball 6-0

Enjoyment beats topping the leaderboard any day, IMHO

So the specs being bad or good has little to do with being top dps.

Well DoT Specs > Burst Specs every single time for topping DPS at zergfests (mid/voidstar doors) so if someone is looking for a class that will top DPS then it's good to know which ones will do that consistently, such as Virulence Sniper.

Unless you get focused and destroyed, which Snipers tend to get unfortunately.

I play hatred sin no matter what! There are even players that say that Im throwing by playing dot spec :D but I still win a fair amount of matches.

Thats one of the hardest dot specs to play for me....

I tried lethality , I suck badly.. Cannot play it at all.

With Hatred I am still learning, but if I am not lucky enough to be able to cleave , I am totally useless paper .

The only dot spec I can play with success in both ranked and unranked is Annihilation .

IO I only use to farm EV so I can't tell if it's any good or not. :D

What are you taking about? His post was well written and dead right. Burst is king in PVP.

My post was just a meme, but viral elements burst window is flying under the radar for how much damage it is doing.

Leth with viral elements is pretty bursty in the right hands. Not constant, on demand burst, but still pretty nasty. I just pulled up a combat log from last night and had a 16 second single target fight where I did 87k damage in the first 1.8 seconds, then 15 seconds later did 98k dmg in the last 1.8 seconds. The 98k burst window was after T.O. but no crits so could have been ~40-70% higher. In a cleave game that's ~90k in just over 1 GCD on up to 8 players at once. Old school smash damage :) . Then you get to spend the next 15 seconds rolling around healing yourself or dumping corrosive assault damage into a target and do it all over again.

I mean I play dot spread guardian because focus has less immunity, and if I was going to play focus, why wouldn't I just play my conc sent? Vigi suffers far less from comparison to watchman. Edited by KendraP