The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Why am I outleveling my class missions and whole planets?

FrenchEinstein

Hi there, I find myself outleveling my class missions without doing anything special beside running side quests. For example I'm a smuggler and left Ord Mantell at lvl 11 and found my first class quest to be level 9 on Corruscant and I haven't even started any other side-quest, flashpoint, PVP etc. I have even been carefull to not logout in a rest zone...

I had a worse experience with a previous character, who because of loggoing out in rest zones and doing a bit more side-mish outleveled a whole planet I was supposed to go for my main story arc... very annoying and gets boring fast.

Would be great if a dev could indicate if they are looking into it. I remember that the leveling progression was changed (made faster) at the last minute in beta and I wonder if what i've been experiencing (and maybe others) is an undesirable side effect that will be addressed soon?

Thanks for the comments/suggestions.

Get used to it. I'm running 6 levels higher than my quests, and I'm not doing anything special. It was this way in beta too. I and many others told Bioware about it in beta, but they didn't do anything to fix it. Edited by Thamelas

It just means you can skip some quests and leave them for your next playthrough so the experience won't be completely same for your next character. It's basically increasing replayability.

Not really. Often many of the codex entries are tied to completing these quest. Anyone looking to complete their codex has no choice but to do all the quests on their way through the game. For a game that prides itself on its story-telling element, expecting players to do all the quests is a no-brainer.

I've personally been eager to try out PvP but haven't simply because I don't want to outlevel my questing experience more than I already have. I wish they included an option in the UI to temporarily disable XP gains (as many other MMOs do).

Edited by Apax

So the linking quests for leaving Coruscant gave me two destinations. One was for levels 15-19, and the second was for 20-24. The problem is that I am always level 19-21 when leaving the place, so I must run through the lower range spot just completing the main class line. Just doesn't seem right.

Not really. Often many of the codex entries are tied to completing these quest. Anyone looking to complete their codex has no choice but to do all the quests on their way through the game.
If you're a compulsive codex-collector then you're fairly likely a compulsive quest-collector too, so in their case it can't be helped really. If a player is compelled to explore and play every bit of content on every alt then they're gonna outlevel things and there's no way around that. But for the people who aren't compulsive about getting *everything*, the game design allows for different experiences with different alts.

I am consistantly 1 level lower than what is apparently the level range for a given planet.

I can attribute this to 3 things as far as I can tell, I skipped one bonus series early on, and besides running the Esseles once at 10, I have not done ANY Heroic missions, flashpoints, or PvP.

Dispite this, since I'm a tank speced Jedi Shadow with a pet healer (Theran) I have no trouble soloing all of the non-heroic quests, even when they are 1-3 times higher than my level.

While I DO have friends who over leveled, this is almost entirely due to their constant PvPing and flashpoint runs.

Frankly if you play the game like a normal single player Bioware RPG, you won't over-level, you'll be just right.

-Timboman

If you choose not to do heroics or flashpoints you will either be at the right level or under it slightly. I believe this is similar to many MMOs where they put in more quests than are necessary to level to the next area.

Not true. I usually skip Flashpoints and Heroics (too much spamming errr I mean socializing) and sometimes even Bonus Missions and I'm "over level".

Edited by karcyon

If you do every side mission, every heroic, every FP (atleast once) as well as a few warzones, you will level so far ahead of the content its ridiculous.

Now, if you skip the heroics FP and warzones, you will level on par with the content which is exactly as how it should be, so leveling is fine.

Get used to it. I'm running 6 levels higher than my quests, and I'm not doing anything special. It was this way in beta too. I and many others told Bioware about it in beta, but they didn't do anything to fix it.

Yeah, because having extra optional content is bad, right? So if it doesn't exist you can complain of how the game lacks optional quests and how you are forced to do them all (with each character you play) to be able to do quests at their proper level and not being forced to grind mobs.

White? Bad!

Black? bad!

Gray? Bad!

BioWare cannot certainly win. Ever. :p

Me also, All my quests are at least 3 levels higher then I am

That's pretty much impossible unless you just aren't doing any of the side quests and bonus quests.

Skipping content to maintain par in levels is not really a good option.

Not true. I usually skip Flashpoints and Heroics (too much spamming errr I mean socializing) and sometimes even Bonus Missions and I'm "over level".

Well what class are you? I played through Sith Inquisitor and was often under level or on the levels the planet suggests. Around 20 something I had to do almost every bonus mission to keep up :S

• 3 months later...
It just means you can skip some quests and leave them for your next playthrough so the experience won't be completely same for your next character. It's basically increasing replayability.

no its not, its making the current play through have even less "content", rolling an alt is not a good selling point for an MMO.