What has SWTOR introduced...?

Jonoayres

Hey all, im just reading the forums with all the varied feedback, and got to wondering, what has this MMO actually introduced that is new and varied compared to any other...

Yes we have leveling grind, crafting, quests etc, but we find that in other games to.

People are moaning this isnt worth the $15 a month, and in comparison to other more established games (altho this is a new release) it has a lot less content.

So im asking all you likers of the game, and dislikers who want to change there opinion... what has this game actually introduced, that has made you come and live here? please dont just say 'fun' or something :D

Star wars tag to an mmo after they shut down SWG.

Everything is pritty much done, granted the missions are a vast improvement to age of conan.

The game is over all a pritty strong 7 (better then avarage) but thats weighted extremely heavely on you liking a singleplayer game and star wars.

If you know anything about star wars lore, it will drop down a bit unfortunately.

Most issues in the game are unfortunately the word 'work in progress' and the entire polish is missing, but for a raw cut off a game its pritty well established framework and maybe worth looking at after a few patches and when they enable graphics (other then "low").

I was on the edge about getting it due to the fourms, but am VERY glad i took the plunge. The combat (i've only tried ranged so far though) feels great. Underneath i suppose it's similar to the same ol' same ol', but it's very well done. The big thing it introduced though is the full voice acting and dio options. For once i don't mind doing fetch quests, as i feel like they are more engaging due to dio options. You can gather background information if you want, or just sorta plunge right into the quest.

1) Voice-Overs (Of this magnitude has NEVER been done in mmorpgs)

2) Dialogue Tree when talking to Quest Npc's

3) Story (Different on all classes)

4) Your own ship

5) Companions that do work for you!

6) Lightsabes (When you hear that epic sound, you know what i mean)

7) Upgradable Companions & Ship

8) Space combat

9) Crew skills

9) PvP/Pve/Flashpoints/Warfronts/Crafting/Etc (This is shared by many mmorpg's)

This is just a few. But you get the point.

Edited by Tiriensoul

Hey all, im just reading the forums with all the varied feedback, and got to wondering, what has this MMO actually introduced that is new and varied compared to any other...

Yes we have leveling grind, crafting, quests etc, but we find that in other games to.

People are moaning this isnt worth the $15 a month, and in comparison to other more established games (altho this is a new release) it has a lot less content.

So im asking all you likers of the game, and dislikers who want to change there opinion... what has this game actually introduced, that has made you come and live here? please dont just say 'fun' or something :D

1. Questing that is actually fun and not just a grind.

2. Story based game play.

3. Balanced PvP.

4. PvP with objectives where skill and tactics matter.

5. Some of the best Voice Acting in any game.

6. Space Combat (A great mini-game thats addicting as all get out)

7. Outstanding visuals and content.

8. Flaspoints and Heroic Areas!

9. Companions that actually do stuff for you. Like selling your items and crafting.

10. Lightsabers!

11. Did I mention Lightsabers?

12. A game where the "real" game starts at level 1 and not at end-cap level (like WoWs 85).

13. Cool mounts. I like the speeders. Right out of the movies.

14. Incredible sound!

15. Combat thats actually fun and not just button mashing.

16. No mods.

4) Your own ship

8) Space combat

none of that was in SWG

Incredibly responsive abilities

Fully customisable UI with great mods available

Amazing busy community. Always bump into a lot of medium to high level players, around 300 a day.

Best PVP system ever, as a range class, when a melee attacks me, I don't even have to move at all.

Awesome exhaustion zones

And amazing community of Biodrone fanboys.

Done by EQ2 already.

If you want to be correct it'd be "Choices during conversations".

NO other MMO has had fully voiced quests. Every single quest, fetch or not, fully voiced.

As someone else mentioned, the game introduces storylines, like you've never seen before. Even the fetch quests hook you into the story, at least they follow the storyline

Companions doing stuff, while not new (see Torchlight), this game gives them a better capacity to do stuff. I don't recall being on an MMO in the past where I can have all of my companions on different tasks. That saves a LOT of work right there.

What has it introduced? It has introduced many, many first time MMO'ers to the genre, and it has brought TRUE storytelling to the genre, something that I honestly believe has been needed for a long, long time.

4) Your own ship

8) Space combat

9) Crew skills

Not played SWG I take it?

The companion/crafting system is also in the f2p mmo Grand fantasia. You get sprites that you can send to gather and then craft.

I have a feeling hardcore players will quit playing but if people pace themselves or play alts, I could imagine them keeping an active sub. I think part of the issue is the game was released prematurely, in my opinion, and hasn't had time to iron out the little nuances and subtleties. If the game was to be released in a few months instead of a couple weeks ago, everyone would be furious but they might actually accept the game without too many complaints.

I'm usually pretty nit picky when it comes to things like UI and features that are kind of expected as standard. But to be honest, I don't really have any issues with the UI. Yeah, it's clunky and I can't customize it but it gets the job done for now. It's also the first mmo that Bioware has made but I think they've done a pretty admirable job so far.

Amazing busy community. Always bump into a lot of medium to high level players, around 300 a day.

Best PVP system ever, as a range class, when a melee attacks me, I don't even have to move at all.

Awesome exhaustion zones

Troll. Go back to WoW

Edited by Feeblezak

4) Your own ship

8) Space combat

9) Crew skills

Summed it all up right here. Really it's the full voice acting and the choices in the conversations that are the biggest things for myself.

What has it introduced?

Crew skills is the only thing that springs to mind. Everything else is done to a greater or lesser extent in other games.

A lot of this game is clearly copied from other games and there is very little thats new or origional in it.

Awesome exhaustion zones

This.

More emphasis on levelling experience, though the side quests make Rift look inventive. I hope this game has raised the bar for attaching players actual characteristics to their characters though, it was sorely lacking from all MMOs. I don't even RP, heck I hate it but I feel genuine attachment to my character. I used to have a stable of alts (all kept up to speed in terms of raid readiness) just to min/max raid composition with my guild mates and couldn't have cared less which toon I brought to any given raid or fight. Edited by Quip

The game has reinvented the 'grind' from the traditional path of killing crap and clicking glowies to an engrossing story and player personality driven.

I doubt another MMO with able to be done without doing something similar.

Excellent work-- who could go back to questing ala WOW style now? Not me.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.