Red Server ? or maybe a Red planet at least ?

goldenarmz

yeah i know im crazy for even bringing this idea up. however im doing it anyways. majority of you guys have no clue what im talking about. anyone pvp'ing before wow knows what im talking about and even most of you cant stomach the idea.

i doubt there will be any official response but maybe we can stir up some conversation about the "idea" of a red server or planet. for those of you who dont know what im talking about, it is real pvp rules. before wow, no other mmo used "pvp" to describe faction vs faction combat, unless they offered a red server. not to say that "player vs player" combat does not happen on the newer games, they just dont have the same rules. good example would be warhammer, they called it realm vs realm (RvR) instead of pvp. i hope you guys understand when i say pvp server i mean the rules and not the actual pvp combat.

rules to pvp is simple. everyone is "red" and is killable almost anytime and almost anywhere. your only faction is your guild and whatever alliances you form. like i said, most of you will never understand why anyone would play this type of gameplay because you will get ganked alot. once you get over the stress of dying, then you start to appreciate the rules more. your guild means everything on these servers. you build a strong bond with your guildies, since every little thing you can do becomes a battlefield.

im sure someone who couldnt hack it in the old days would say how stupid of an idea this would be, or someone who has never experienced it will say the same thing. but thats fine, i have no issues on how you choose to play. i dont find it pointless.

So you are asking for a server that uses the Outlaw's Den ruleset. Yep I agree with this, as it is my idea of Open World PvP at the server level.

Open World PvP is PvP anywhere anytime, not just available in zones. This would also mean that Empire guilds could fight Empire guilds, like in Shadowbane guild vs guild and create dynamic politics on the server.

Everquest Zek Server (Muds before that). Yeah it definitely happened before WoW.

Anyways, enough with my WoW Rage.

Yes a Red Server would make zero sense from an RP Perspective in SWTOR. In games like Age of Conan it made perfect sense. A red planet, again doesn't make sense from RP.

A Jedi and a Commando would never attack each other. Now if the only people who could enter these planets were Smugglers and Bounty Hunters, then sure it would make sense.

I don't see this happening. But yes this group of idiots that is the community "gets" what you're trying to "say".

Edited by Nixmega

Everquest Zek Server (Muds before that). Yeah it definitely happened before WoW.

Anyways, enough with my WoW Rage.

Yes a Red Server would make zero sense from an RP Perspective in SWTOR. In games like Age of Conan it made perfect sense. A red planet, again doesn't make sense from RP.

A Jedi and a Commando would never attack each other. Now if the only people who could enter these planets were Smugglers and Bounty Hunters, then sure it would make sense.

I don't see this happening. But yes this group of idiots that is the community "gets" what you're trying to "say".

because in starwars lore jedii (sp?) and commandos never went rogue. hell it doesnt even exist in the current game story line. never did they have to choose between light side and dark side decisions and the results of those decisions. IT NEVER HAPPENED EVER.

edit:

im glad you do know what real pvp is though <3

Edited by goldenarmz

because in starwars lore jedii (sp?) and commandos never went rogue. hell it doesnt even exist in the current game story line. never did they have to choose between light side and dark side decisions and the results of those decisions. IT NEVER HAPPENED EVER.

edit:

SPOILER ALERT

Trooper has the main story as your squad going rogue (well imperial) and you track them down, kill or get them to rejoin, etc...

I wouldn't play on it and I'd prefer Bioware spends their resources fixing things that are actually broke before they try to add things that only a niche segment of players would actually use.

it's a considerably larger percentage than you think, I'm playing on a PvP server and there are almost always queues to log in, and from what I've seen of the other servers ost of the pvp servers have queues while the rp servers seem to not have them, just off that basis alone I think it's safe to say that the PvP community in game is larger than the care bear population, i do agree that there are things that should be fixed first but you can't call PvPers a "niche segment" in an MMO...just doesn't make sense

it's a considerably larger percentage than you think, I'm playing on a PvP server and there are almost always queues to log in, and from what I've seen of the other servers ost of the pvp servers have queues while the rp servers seem to not have them, just off that basis alone I think it's safe to say that the PvP community in game is larger than the care bear population, i do agree that there are things that should be fixed first but you can't call PvPers a "niche segment" in an MMO...just doesn't make sense

I never said PvPers were a niche group, I said the people who want an FFA ruleset like the OP describes would be a niche group. I feel that even most PvPers are satisfied with the faction restrictions that exist in the current ruleset. An FFA ruleset like the OP describes means people would get ganked while looking in their bank or on the fleet using the GTN or trying to access their trainer.

edit:

I guess you're right but a 24 hour melee war between factions would have to be explained somehow.

But I dont think you need to explain it.. I would play it regardless. What I would also like to see is a race vs race server. Conan had one and it was pretty awesome.

Never going happen because it would be a newly coded game and they didn't even come close to getting this one right.

Would have a high pop I bet. Look at the servers now!

This isn't a PvP game yet all the PvP servers are flooded!

that is more due to the misconception that pvp servers are somehow better than pve servers. Note I play on a pvp server, wound in the force, I enjoy having to look over my shoulder to make sure I am safe, sadly im ahead of the main pack, so I almost never have to.

it's a considerably larger percentage than you think

You might want to educate yourself on the fates of "red" servers in pretty much all relevant western MMOs. Calling it a "niche segment" is putting a massive positive spin on the actual numbers even in PvP focused games.

You might want to educate yourself on the fates of "red" servers in pretty much all relevant western MMOs. Calling it a "niche segment" is putting a massive positive spin on the actual numbers even in PvP focused games.

there is no way to prove or disprove anything when it comes to numbers. however i do think there are enough people interested in this playstyle to commit at least one planet completely to it. i know everyone is all about tattooine, but it really is not enough. i just cant imagine another game that would benefit so much story wise from this. i think majority of the people view it primarily from that base of good vs evil, but i really see more depth to it then that. so much gray area and conflict evolved around how each side and character in generally is perceived.

im not asking to remake the game and put special incentives for this playstyle. just simply allow it to happen and let the community moderate what is considered right and wrong. of course there will be bugs, exploits, expensive markets, and just general all around grief, but thats what makes it so much fun, especially when the community is weeded out of crybabies.

its not for everyone, but then again you arent forced to play it either.

I think this would be an awesome server/planet to play on, especially for the RP IMP side.

Because the Imperials are all about striving for the highest possible position even if that means taking out their allies one way or another, so in-fighting iss very reasonable in such a society. In pvp terms having faction versus faction warzones and open world player versus player combat/scenarios/rvr makes perfect sense.

PS: I am not an RP'er lol

I wouldn't play on it and I'd prefer Bioware spends their resources fixing things that are actually broke before they try to add things that only a niche segment of players would actually use.

This. It would be a segment of a segment and thus not a huge percentage of players, so why would Bioware expend a lot of resources on it?

Also, FFA PVP is an interesting concept, but really just plays to the must despicable and abusive of players who want to be able to harass and gank at will with no restrictions. People that are just jerks at heart would flock to that type of server. That being said, as long as it was a separate server and you knew what you were signing up for, I'd probably stop in to administer some righteous justice to those lowlifes. I'd all be like, EAT LIGHTSABER LOWLIFE SCUM!!!

:wea_03:

And thus, the universe was a safer place.

This. It would be a segment of a segment and thus not a huge percentage of players, so why would Bioware expend a lot of resources on it?

Also, FFA PVP is an interesting concept, but really just plays to the must despicable and abusive of players who want to be able to harass and gank at will with no restrictions. People that are just jerks at heart would flock to that type of server. That being said, as long as it was a separate server and you knew what you were signing up for, I'd probably stop in to administer some righteous justice to those lowlifes. I'd all be like, EAT LIGHTSABER LOWLIFE SCUM!!!

It's like this. It's an option, so why not do it? I personally love FFA. Got to keep your head on a swivel.

lol its funny because you have the right mentality to make it on this kind of server, yet you think its full of scum ;D. believe it or not after the novelty of the server wears off and people start getting weeded out, the community is actually pretty respectable. you dont always have to gank someone, and whether you believe it or not, you wont always be ganked. i think these servers force you to be social, you cannot make it alone, and i think thats where people go wrong and despise this rule set. just because someone kills you one second, doesnt mean you cant group with them and kill other people, or quest or do anything for that matter. if you get grief, just come back at them with numbers and grief them back, these servers do tend to have population of "anti griefers" who will hunt down anyone causing problems.

even for the roleplayers out there. i dont judge, however in the current game rule set. it is difficult for you to role play with your "enemies".