The Alliance's purpose

irrevelant

So the Eternal Empire is pretty much gone, the Fleet destroyed, and 2 other mayor players are fighting each other.

Now the purpose of the Alliance was to defeat Zakuul. With that purpose fulfilled. What's next? Where the Alliance heading? What's their goal? Is it became a charity organization, or a wanabe conquerors?

Regardless i think, that the Alliance should get a new purpose in the close future. Or be erased. The latter technically is an option now. But in that case i think, that there should be some event as certain companions leave you for good.

So the Eternal Empire is pretty much gone, the Fleet destroyed, and 2 other mayor players are fighting each other.

Now the purpose of the Alliance was to defeat Zakuul. With that purpose fulfilled. What's next? Where the Alliance heading? What's their goal? Is it became a charity organization, or a wanabe conquerors?

Regardless i think, that the Alliance should get a new purpose in the close future. Or be erased. The latter technically is an option now. But in that case i think, that there should be some event as certain companions leave you for good.

It's just another faction in the galaxy. It also does have a purpose, either supporting the Empire or Republic.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

I mean theoretically it's purpose could serve as a balance. You always have the option of not doing what you are asked to do by the side you pick, and there's an option on Mek-Sha to have one of the characters work for your alliance as well as the side you chose even though its a dark side option. You have personnel from both sides still believing in working together rather than being enemies, so it can serve as an ideological goal even if it ultimately ends eventually, or becomes something else. You are still the ruler of Odessen, an entire planet that could one day develop a civilization/society from the alliance as it's origin/foundation. Edited by Jesira

I mean theoretically it's purpose could serve as a balance. You always have the option of not doing what you are asked to do by the side you pick, and there's an option on Mek-Sha to have one of the characters work for your alliance as well as the side you chose even though its a dark side option. You have personnel from both sides still believing in working together rather than being enemies, so it can serve as an ideological goal even if it ultimately ends eventually, or becomes something else. You are still the ruler of Odessen, an entire planet that could one day develop a civilization/society from the alliance as it's origin/foundation.

Nope, not even close.

Okay, since Bioware couldn’t have been bothered with creating lore to justify all the nonsensical ******** that came with Eternal Empire, I’m gonna speculate mostly.

Odessen itself is located in the middle of unknown regions, aside of Zakuul, it’s literally thousands of light-years away from any populated planet. From what we know, no actual civilian settlements are on Odessen, same goes for industry. Practically, it’s just a military base.

At the end of KOTET, it’s possible that some independent systems joined the “Alliance”, but upon destruction of the fleet, there is no reason to be in it whatsoever. Essentially, we’re left with two planets – Odessen and Iokath in the middle of nowhere, with no resources or industrial output, agriculture, etc. At this point, there is no question, whether it can challenge or fight – it can not. Question is, can it even exist and for how long.

Speaking of it’s armed forces, it’s fair to say, that most of it’s forces are veterans and volunteers from other factions, with little to no actual loyalty to the “commander” or the “Alliance”. For the most, “Alliance” is just the means to destroy Eternal Empire, nothing more. After the events on Ossus, at least half of the “Alliance” leaves. Consequently, we’re left with even more weakened forces and mandalorians, that are still part of the Alliance for… some reason.

Knowing all of that, neither Republic nor Empire should give a damn about it. Needs of the “Alliance” far outweigh it’s benefits, especially given it’s location. Extending supply lines that far into the Wild Space is madness. It would be cheaper and more beneficial to recruit and train a bloody battalion of soldiers.

Edited by Spoloma

Only read if you finished Onslaught or don't care about spoilers.

The Alliance's existence depends on your choice at the end of Onslaught. You get to choose whether you want to rejoin the Empire/Republic or stay separate.

When you choose to rejoin Odessen joins the Empire/Republic and you get a new function. The Alliance then ceases to exist.

If you choose to stay independent you still get the new function but as an ally. Essentially you'll be an independent planet that governs itself and supports the chosen ally.

Odessen itself is located in the middle of unknown regions, aside of Zakuul, it’s literally thousands of light-years away from any populated planet. From what we know, no actual civilian settlements are on Odessen, same goes for industry. Practically, it’s just a military base.

I can agree with that mostly, although there is a lot of research and diplomacy being conducted there as well.

At the end of KOTET, it’s possible that some independent systems joined the “Alliance”, but upon destruction of the fleet, there is no reason to be in it whatsoever. Essentially, we’re left with two planets – Odessen and Iokath in the middle of nowhere, with no resources or industrial output, agriculture, etc. At this point, there is no question, whether it can challenge or fight – it can not. Question is, can it even exist and for how long.

This is incorrect. Iokath is a Dyson sphere, many times larger than a planet, that was constructed with resources from the moons, asteroids, and possibly even other planets in that system. Its a treasure trove of raw materials and developed resources. The Alliance has the most number of experts who have studied the technology, and, in theory, control of the Machine Gods. "Once you have defeated them you earn the right to possess their shells" says the Scion you meet on Iokath, or something to that effect, I may have some of the quote incorrect.

Its a bigger stretch to ponder if the Alliance converted any of Odessen's untamed wilderness into farmland, but there's certainly nothing to suggest it could not. In fact, I'd argue it would almost certainly have to do so, and the base occupies a tiny portion of the planet.

Speaking of it’s armed forces, it’s fair to say, that most of it’s forces are veterans and volunteers from other factions, with little to no actual loyalty to the “commander” or the “Alliance”. For the most, “Alliance” is just the means to destroy Eternal Empire, nothing more. After the events on Ossus, at least half of the “Alliance” leaves. Consequently, we’re left with even more weakened forces and mandalorians, that are still part of the Alliance for… some reason.

This also isn't true. When you speak with Lana at the beginning of the Ossus storyline, there is a conversation option assuming what you posted, and she not only tells you that you are likely wrong, but the follow up emails after the event demonstrate there are a sizable portion of people who stick with you no matter what.

I get the sense that the Mandalorians stay because they feel the Commander will lead them to the biggest "hunts."

This is incorrect. Iokath is a Dyson sphere, many times larger than a planet, that was constructed with resources from the moons, asteroids, and possibly even other planets in that system. Its a treasure trove of raw materials and developed resources. The Alliance has the most number of experts who have studied the technology, and, in theory, control of the Machine Gods. "Once you have defeated them you earn the right to possess their shells" says the Scion you meet on Iokath, or something to that effect, I may have some of the quote incorrect.

Its a bigger stretch to ponder if the Alliance converted any of Odessen's untamed wilderness into farmland, but there's certainly nothing to suggest it could not. In fact, I'd argue it would almost certainly have to do so, and the base occupies a tiny portion of the planet.

Well, not exactly. Like Coruscant, Iokath is already a develop world, you can hardly find any raw materials there. Though I agree that it has a great amount of advanced technology, something tells me, it’s largely incompatible with existing one. Speaking of Machine Gods, I don’t really know what’s their purpose, other then for operation. I don’t think it was properly explained, what exactly they are capable of.

Practically everything that is even remotely connected to Iokath is a mess. Kinda feels like even BW realized this, so they did something they always do in situations, like this one – forget it even exists. I’m pretty sure we ain’t gonna hear about it.

This also isn't true. When you speak with Lana at the beginning of the Ossus storyline, there is a conversation option assuming what you posted, and she not only tells you that you are likely wrong, but the follow up emails after the event demonstrate there are a sizable portion of people who stick with you no matter what.

I get the sense that the Mandalorians stay because they feel the Commander will lead them to the biggest "hunts."

Definitely don’t agree here. At no point of war with EE did “Alliance” have a significant forces. They were always something of a guerrilla force that hit the most vulnerable targets and run before enemy reinforcements arrive. I’m trying to looks at it realistically, that’s why I don’t see a reason for majority to stay there. Of course, BW would try to create a sense that “Alliance” isn’t done for, when it’s quite clear that it is. They have to placate those few who somehow like the “Alliance”, so that they don’t unsub from the game…understandable (got I love when story is being explained in bloody emails, instead of cutscenes and actual dialogues…) Still, army of Both Empire and Republic number in millions. Can you say the same about the “Alliance”?

In any case, had I’ve been at the help of Republic/Empire, I would have hit Iokath, instead of Corellia. In what universe does it make sense to leave your opponent a world full of advanced tech? For all we know, Iokath can hold 100 shipyards, whereas Corellia got a single advanced one. This way they could’ve resolved Iokath’s arc.

Edited by Spoloma

the purpose of the Alliance was to defeat Zakuul. With that purpose fulfilled. What's next? Where the Alliance heading? What's their goal? Is it became a charity organization, or a wanabe conquerors?.

Well, after Onslaught:

Depending upon your choices, the Alliance is either helping the Empire fight the Republic, or helping the Republic fight the Empire. And they are either doing this as part of the Empire or Republic - think of the UK as part of the EU - or as a separate entity - think the UK post-brexit. (The UK will still be part of NATO either way.)

Speaking of Machine Gods, I don’t really know what’s their purpose, other then for operation. I don’t think it was properly explained, what exactly they are capable of.

They are one of the two competing designs from an ancient competition to make the most effective invasion platform, the other being the Eternal Fleet. That comes from the respective codex entries from your original run-through of Iokath during KOTET chapters 3&4 and from the codex entries when you return. The implication is, based on what the Scion says to you in the breadcrumb mission, the control modules you can loot from the first 4 bosses, and the feature that lets you walk around as them on Iokath, that eventually the Alliance Commander gains control of the droid shells. Now, I'm not sure how transportable they are in present day, but obviously at some point they could be mobilized to invade planets like Zakuul.

Definitely don’t agree here. At no point of war with EE did “Alliance” have a significant forces. They were always something of a guerrilla force that hit the most vulnerable targets and run before enemy reinforcements arrive. I’m trying to looks at it realistically, that’s why I don’t see a reason for majority to stay there. Of course, BW would try to create a sense that “Alliance” isn’t done for, when it’s quite clear that it is. They have to placate those few who somehow like the “Alliance”, so that they don’t unsub from the game…understandable (got I love when story is being explained in bloody emails, instead of cutscenes and actual dialogues…) Still, army of Both Empire and Republic number in millions. Can you say the same about the “Alliance”?

No I can't say for sure what the size of the Alliance military forces are. We know they include at least the Warstalkers, some willing Gormak, the Dead Man's Legion, Havoc Squad, and Mandalorians loyal to Mandalore the Avenger AKA Shae Viszla. There are also some willing Belsavis prisoners, and some ex-gladiators from the Zakuul arenas. Black Sun probably wasn't a major presence onworld, and Paxton Rall's band of pirates stayed mostly mobile. Finally, there are of course the numbers of "defectors" from both sides. I would wager that the military personnel directly from a faction are probably the strongest members, and I don't mean physically per se, but they are the likely the bravest and very highly skilled. They would likely be ones recruited by Aygo, Forex, and Pierce, possibly also Adm. Zasha Ranken if you choose to let her survive during KOTFE Ch 15. Therefore I think if you took the average skill level of the Alliance military force member and compared it to the average of a member from the regular armies, there would probably be a difference in favor of the alliance.

In any case, had I’ve been at the help of Republic/Empire, I would have hit Iokath, instead of Corellia. In what universe does it make sense to leave your opponent a world full of advanced tech? For all we know, Iokath can hold 100 shipyards, whereas Corellia got a single advanced one. This way they could’ve resolved Iokath’s arc.

Regarding your last point, this is also touched upon, at least during the republic version of the Objective Merdian FP. Tharan Cedrax was brought onto the project specifically to utilize knowledge gained from Iokath and put it into practice. As an expert in exotechnology, this is his forte'. As good as Dr. Oggorub is, he hasn't been able to replicate the tech yet for the Alliance. Not to mention Corellia already has a lot of the infrastructure for building ships, making the modifications easier. It also has a willing labor force, as opposed to the millions of still-hostile droids running around Iokath. Iokath, in addition to being a hostile environment, is huge, with specific choke points of entry ... so not a great invasion target compared to a Core World. Even the part of Iokath directly being contested by the Empire and the Republic is only a fraction of the surface of the sphere. Finally, it makes more of a statement ... who cares about some random shipyard in wild space when you could hit an important shipyard in the Core. Corellia was as much about demoralizing the Republic as it was about destroying infrastructure.

Nope, not even close.

Okay, since Bioware couldn’t have been bothered with creating lore to justify all the nonsensical ******** that came with Eternal Empire, I’m gonna speculate mostly.

Knowing all of that, neither Republic nor Empire should give a damn about it. Needs of the “Alliance” far outweigh it’s benefits, especially given it’s location. Extending supply lines that far into the Wild Space is madness. It would be cheaper and more beneficial to recruit and train a bloody battalion of soldiers.

There are a lot of planets that are remote in Star Wars that have their own civilization and society in them. There is literally 0 reason why Odessen could not develop that as there certainly are enough people there to do that with. The planet is huge, with vast continents and if you don't keep it independent, the planet gets representation in the faction you join with.