Swtor put on a backburner

Collec

The afk kick is a pain in my proverbial butt because it doesn’t take into account if you are looking at stuff in the GTN, storage or crafting by only using your mouse,

It’s totally keyed to you moving or using the keyboard jump. So sometimes I forget and I’m halfway through playing space Barbies and a new outfit and it kicks me. Which is really infuriating as I have to start again :p

I got in the habit of hitting a movement key every now and then for this reason. Character creation is worse though. With that, I don't think there's any way to refresh the session. It just boots you after a while, no matter what, if you take too long. I got in the habit of sometimes taking a picture of a creation in progress if I was taking a while with it, so I wouldn't forget the values.

The things we do to avoid the pitfalls of automation...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when you had to wait in line to log into the game because the server was full. It made sense back then to kick people for being afk after 15 minutes, but now it's antiquated and unnecessary. Servers are never full, so I shouldn't be kicked for grabbing a snack or looking up something online for a minute.

The alt kick is in place to stop people standing at a mob spawn, and going afk, and letting the companion racking up kills.

But it is a pain when you're creating characters, or browsing the gtn. Sometimes I just hit the arrow keys to stop it logging out, but most of the time I forget....lol.

No, your posts like the one quoted above are the reason why the mods delete your posts. You're simply being insulting to other posters and very rude. And no, your freedom of speech does not include the right to insult others.

Do you even know,what I posted that got deleted? Probably not...but I do.And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid is still there...so that wasn't the problem. And what I posted wasn't calling anyone names. I think that analogy of bw and street walker,is what got post deleted.

I remember when you had to wait in line to log into the game because the server was full. It made sense back then to kick people for being afk after 15 minutes, but now it's antiquated and unnecessary. Servers are never full, so I shouldn't be kicked for grabbing a snack or looking up something online for a minute.

Again I didn't have that problem. I had pre-order and 1 week early access. Something was wrong on their end,where EU players couldn't get in. I had to create USA account on my pc,just to get in at start.

But just because some servers were full,doesn't mean ALL of them were. If people,who were on full servers had to wait in queue,doesn't mean everyone on every server had to wait. I think most popular ones were Tomb for pvp and Red Eclipse or whatever it was called. I stayed whole time on Progenitor, while others moved to more populated servers,since population was dropping and nothing was being done.

Do you even know,what I posted that got deleted? Probably not...but I do.And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid is still there...so that wasn't the problem. And what I posted wasn't calling anyone names. I think that analogy of bw and street walker,is what got post deleted.

It was an example. Because rudeness isn't going to get you any favours done, ever. Sure, expressing constructive criticism is all well and good and should even be encouraged. Expressing insulting criticism however, is something completely different. Even if it seems as a logical thing to you, it may seem as an insult to another. And generally, the forum mods also delete posts that work in a derailing manner or are meant to bait people into a fight.

My advice? If you want to have less of your posts deleted, take a step back and try to write without spite, anger or frustration. Even if they may be strongly present, try to ignore those emotions and remain objective. The Jedi Code can guide you here ;)

Edited by Ylliarus

Not listening to players has been Bioware’s achilles heel or kryptonite since this game started. They transferred that same mentality into Anthem.

It makes you wonder how many more chances EA will give them if Anthem can’t be resurrected.

Swtor is a lost cause for anything more than small DLC and ruining your fun if you start to have any.

Bioware just up and change it if you have fun and players be damned. They will nearly always choose a path the player’s don’t want them to take.

EA don’t care if swtor keeps losing players as long as the profit % stays the same.

I did this thing not too long ago where you answer a bunch of questions and do some exercises and you find out in which personality area you are. They have 4 basic colours: red, green, blue and yellow.

What I remember from it is that yellow is the more creative side, cooperation comes from green, structure from blue and leadership from red. It's a rough indication.

So in that context I see BW as a company that has a couple of red people and lots of yellow and green. But not nearly enough blue. So all the yellow and green come together and support each other and have endless brainstorm sessions and then 4 years later the couple of red people have to make some decisions and force people to actually get to work. BioWare Magic in these terms is the lack of blue that cause them to crunch and get that side over with.

You need people who are good with structures not just to build into the game but to run your company and teams so that you don't get stuck with your heads in the cloud all the time. With the head in the cloud thing, you also see the reason why they do not hear so well and why they have a hard time implementing changes because they again start brain storming and take too long. Also the creative types tend to care more about ideas than practical applications and what their target audience wants.

Anways, it's a rough analogy based on how I see BW operate, but can you really say I don't have a point in there?

FYI OP

We have Game Update 6.1 planned for early 2020 making its PTS debut in December. When we’re ready to have you take a look, I’ll share more details about the update and give you a glimpse into our future plans for SWTOR.

6.1 coming to PTS in December. Fingers crossed for a late winter substantial update.

Edited by Rion_Starkiller

It was an example. Because rudeness isn't going to get you any favours done, ever. Sure, expressing constructive criticism is all well and good and should even be encouraged. Expressing insulting criticism however, is something completely different. Even if it seems as a logical thing to you, it may seem as an insult to another. And generally, the forum mods also delete posts that work in a derailing manner or are meant to bait people into a fight.

My advice? If you want to have less of your posts deleted, take a step back and try to write without spite, anger or frustration. Even if they may be strongly present, try to ignore those emotions and remain objective. The Jedi Code can guide you here ;)

Yeah you just keep making stuff up. Here's my deleted post minus the analogy part :

am not asuming they are pulling manpower only from Austin. I just don't care about other places,who have nothing to do with SWTOR . Take away STAR WARS from this game and what you have is Anthem to it's core. Meaning this game wouldn't survive as long as it did,if it werent for carrot called STAR WARS.

Again we WHO SUB OR BUY SOMETHING FROM CM are saying WE SUPPORT THIS GAME. I am not saying I support Anthem or Dice's SW Battlefront 2 or Respawns' Jedi Fallen Order. I am supporting SW THE OLD REPUBLIC and I expect devs to do the same.

Stop making excuses for them...then can have 200 or 2000 people. It's not my problem. It's not my problem they spent 300million + on development. It's not my problem, they had way too many servers at launch,post launch and like 4-5 years into game. It's not my problem they chose Hero engine. It's not my problem that in 8 years they didn't give us any new class.

It boggles my mind, how dead on arrival game like Anthem is getting more support than this game. Which for new players has tons of content.

And I would have no problem to pay for expansion. Real expansion. Just look , how much we already overpaid for what we got. I've been with this game on and off since start. Skipped whole cash cow Expansion of Revan.

FYI OP

6.1 coming to PTS in December. Fingers crossed for a late winter substantial update.

And I never said it wouldn't come. They do minimum work here,just to thorw you a bone to keep you happy. I am expecting something to come out in February or maybe March,because of holidays. It's ok you don't get my post.

Define soon for EA's SWs license ending. It extends through 2023. It was a 10 year deal inked in 2013.

And for those several years I see EA being content to let things go as is. Keep it profitable with minimal expenditures. So the same content trickle we've had for awhile with the splash of a bit more on ocassion.

If that's enough for you, as it is for me, then enjoy it while it lasts. If not, then nobody should begrudge you moving on.

Edited by Failtima

I got in the habit of hitting a movement key every now and then for this reason. Character creation is worse though. With that, I don't think there's any way to refresh the session. It just boots you after a while, no matter what, if you take too long. I got in the habit of sometimes taking a picture of a creation in progress if I was taking a while with it, so I wouldn't forget the values.

The things we do to avoid the pitfalls of automation...

Yep, I use my iPhone to take a snap of the settings.

The other way you can do it is at the appearance terminal on the fleet or deco in your strong hold, create a look there, then take a pic and go the character create screen.

My biggest issue creating is the naming. So many times I get booted. Usually I have a name in mind and so many times it’s not available. Now I just create a random, check the name, if it works, I delete the character and make my toon. If not, I keep trying to find a name.

I did this thing not too long ago where you answer a bunch of questions and do some exercises and you find out in which personality area you are. They have 4 basic colours: red, green, blue and yellow.

What I remember from it is that yellow is the more creative side, cooperation comes from green, structure from blue and leadership from red. It's a rough indication.

So in that context I see BW as a company that has a couple of red people and lots of yellow and green. But not nearly enough blue. So all the yellow and green come together and support each other and have endless brainstorm sessions and then 4 years later the couple of red people have to make some decisions and force people to actually get to work. BioWare Magic in these terms is the lack of blue that cause them to crunch and get that side over with.

You need people who are good with structures not just to build into the game but to run your company and teams so that you don't get stuck with your heads in the cloud all the time. With the head in the cloud thing, you also see the reason why they do not hear so well and why they have a hard time implementing changes because they again start brain storming and take too long. Also the creative types tend to care more about ideas than practical applications and what their target audience wants.

Anways, it's a rough analogy based on how I see BW operate, but can you really say I don't have a point in there?

Not a bad analogy. The article I read about Anthems development from idea to implementation was pretty much exactly as you described. It stands to reason that the swtor guys are probably similar p.

Yep, I use my iPhone to take a snap of the settings.

The other way you can do it is at the appearance terminal on the fleet or deco in your strong hold, create a look there, then take a pic and go the character create screen.

My biggest issue creating is the naming. So many times I get booted. Usually I have a name in mind and so many times it’s not available. Now I just create a random, check the name, if it works, I delete the character and make my toon. If not, I keep trying to find a name.

Thanks for the idea, I might just try appearance terminal for formulating next time I get a hankering to create a character. When I think about it, it seems like a better idea anyway, since the character creation screen limits you to wearing a class-based set of clothes in a class-based backdrop. Appearance terminal could be better for getting a feel for the look in a more neutral environment.

Re: Names, I can get pretty esoteric with my names, like anagrams and shiz, so I don't run into unavailable much, but that sounds like a solid strategy.

I did reply to that...are you stupid ?

Really, where was the response to...

No, they can't because the game can't support a staff of that size. SWTOR isn't profitable enough to be able the pay for the salaries of 200 or 2000 employees.

That's not an excuse, that's just a fact about how businesses work.

You made no response to that, nor did you reply to...

And when in 8 years has Bioware Austin shown that they are capable of delivering a "real" expansion?

It should be overwhelmingly obvious at this point what type of content Bioware Austin puts out, what they consider an expansion to be, etc.

You made no reply to that^ either.

What do you think this was?

The one thing you cherry-picked out of everything I said.

Multiple people have throughout the thread have pointed out things that you're incorrect about, but you keep arguing with them as if what they're saying doesn't matter or counts

And we know why you didn't mention it.

Because I didn't see it. What sense does it make to quote me in one post & not another? You made back to back posts responding to me instead of just including it all in one post. I paid no attention to that post because I figured any post you were making in response to me would have me quoted on it, or at the very least be the next post directly after one of mine, go figure.

Anyway I am done with you. I said what I needed to say.

If that were true you wouldn't bother to keep responding.

BW doesn't like it,when I talk,so they delete my posts.

Or someone reported you for violating TOS.

My posts got deleted. Does that mean they hate me? No.

Bye Felicia...bury your head in sand and make sure you stay subbed and buy from Cartel Market.

Didn't you say you've been with the game since launch? You keep complaining about the state of the game, thet things they're not doing, etc, but it's pretty obvious at this point what Bioware (Austin) is capable of. So if that's the case & you don't understand that, doesn't that mean you're the one with their head buried in the sand? ;)

Again, the situation with Anthem is no different than the situation that's existed at/with Bioware Austin for quite awhile now. They get pulled off SWTOR to work on games like Mass Effect, Dragon Age, & Anthem, however we've seen development stretches where Bioware Austin hasn't been helping out other games & they're still not able to produce anything on the same scope & scale to that of the vanilla game & that's because (no matter how much you deny it) they don't have those same level of resources to work with anymore. That has been extremely obvious (for a number of people) for a while now. We know they can't continue things like Class Stories. It's something that has come up at basically every Cantina Tour & they've explained why it's just not possible anymore.

Do you even know,what I posted that got deleted? Probably not...but I do.And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid is still there...so that wasn't the problem.

Really, because that post isn't there anymore. I guess it was a problem after all. :p

And what I posted wasn't calling anyone names.

And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid

Since when is calling someone stupid not name-calling?:confused:

Yeah you just keep making stuff up.

And what I posted wasn't calling anyone names.

And clearly me asking him/her if he stupid

Take away STAR WARS from this game and what you have is Anthem to it's core.

Really, because most people claim(ed) that SWTOR was just WoW with a Star Wars skin.

If Anthem draws a parallel to anything else it's Destiny more so than SWTOR. SWTOR was EA/Bioware trying to get in on the WoW craze while Anthem was their attempt to go after a smaller online space like that of Destiny (Warframe, etc)

Again we WHO SUB OR BUY SOMETHING FROM CM are saying WE SUPPORT THIS GAME. I am not saying I support Anthem or Dice's SW Battlefront 2 or Respawns' Jedi Fallen Order. I am supporting SW THE OLD REPUBLIC and I expect devs to do the same.

But that's not how the business works. The money WoW makes doesn't all go back into WoW. A lot of it goes into R&D for other projects like Overwatch, Heroes of The Storm, etc. Blizzard has been very open about the fact that they put a number of projects into development that never see the light of day. The money WoW makes allows them to R&D stuff like that to that degree.

SWTOR has been the same way since it launched. The large majority of what it makes goes back to EA, not SWTOR, & you know that. You've known that for a while now & so have a lot of other people. So, if that's the case why are you still supporting them?

The devs (Bioware Austin) have no control over this situation. It's not like they don't want to SWTOR be the best game it can be or whatever, but there are so many things beyond their control that often times prevent them from being able to do the things they want to do. And that's not an excuse, that's just the way things are. What you need to understand/realize is that the answer to why something is the way it is can't always be a satisfying answer. That's just unfortunately the way things are.

Edited by Darth-Obvious