StarWars.com Tweets out Onslaught release trailer. Folks, this is a soft relaunch!

ZionHalcyon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are two days from launch. Trailers are released months ahead. I'd say they missed the window for effective marketing.

They are simply taking a different approach.

eKeithcan only do how he does things once.

BioWare has a habit of over-promising and under-delivering.

They are smartly taking the opposite approach for this one. If it's great, the surprise will make maximum impact.

eKeithcan only do how he does things once.

BioWare has a habit of over-promising and under-delivering.

They are smartly taking the opposite approach for this one. If it's great, the surprise will make maximum impact.

That would be a huge first for EA. Many people could miss it and never re-sub. Why do you think sequels make more money when they're usually worse? It's because the first movie is like a big trailer, hence why they make trailers.

I guess I've seen too many bad practices from EA to believe they are deliberately doing a quiet launch to surprise the gaming community with something huge. And if this is all Bioware, I'd think an EA executive would say, "You had this great launch expansion and you didn't advertise?" Guess we'll find out.

Anyways, my thoughts are jumbled cause I need coffee, but I think you get my point. :)

That lightsaber hilt at the end of the trailer looks quite familiar. ;)

This is different. Ossus is a harbinger - they are taking great care to tie players back to their class stories, even in little bits, and also tie in the larger story.

That much is true. I main a Consular; Jedi Under Siege had my name written all over it. Suffice to say, it was one of my favorite updates to the game (besides certain elements of the gearing system.) If it's anything to go by, then I have a lot to look forward to in 6.0.

Edited by ForfiniteStories

Charles himself said it on twitter.

If a proper trailer was coming it would be here by now. Its what, 3 days from release? There is no point to releasing an advertising trailer after something is released, the entire concept is to get peoples attention in the buildup to that release.

Charles' post saying that a future State of the Galaxy article would be difficult due to all the branching suggests there is more than just 2 (maybe not 6 mind you).

That statement had nothing to do with this expansion, he was referring to the different choices in the previous releases, eg: the conditional jace/acina living or dead and which side you supported stuff, which makes it difficult to come up with a state of the galaxy that isn't different for everyone

As for the debate about trailers, I think (although I'm sure it has been done) there are several Ph.D dissertations to be written about how social media is supplanting traditional forms of advertising. If 6.0 is good, word of mouth (or tweet) will spread.

Consider the fact that the link Zion posted already has close to 100,000 views and 4,100 likes on Twitter.

Which is meaningless. Its twitter. Twitter is a failing platform full of bots, political crazies and general nutcases. The majority of people avoid it like the plague. If you want good word of mouth that affects the average persons view of a game, you'd better be making sure they get it from places other than twitter

Soft relaunch? 6.0 is barely an "expansion" compared to other MMOs like ESO and FFXIV

Indeed, and barely an expansion even by TOR standards at this point. I'll be surprised if there is even makeb levels of content and story. They already said one 'planet' is nothing more than a daily area and the story on the other is more than likely on the level of ossus. Maybe ziost length if we're lucky. If it were the size of SOR or larger it would be an actual expansion pack you had to buy. The fact that its 'free to subscribers' speaks for itself

What most people don't understand is it that swtor ran off most of the story folks already. what is left of the players who care more about the game system than the Star wars story.

That isn't even remotely true. If it were this game would be on its last legs by now. The entire focus for this game is its story. That is what sells it, it has nothing else going for it

We are two days from launch. Trailers are released months ahead. I'd say they missed the window for effective marketing.

There is no 'different approach.' The entire purpose of a trailer is to get attention and build hype well in advance of whatever is being released. If it doesn't do that there is no point in having a trailer. If there really is an actual trailer coming before or after release day, whoever is in charge of marketing needs to be fired because they don't even have a fundamental understanding of what a trailer is for

That lightsaber hilt at the end of the trailer looks quite familiar

More than likely belongs to malgus tbh

OP is making alot of assumptions, based on nothing, and coming to very odd conclusions based on misunderstanding previous statements from the devs. Particularly with the 'branching storylines' nonsense. Its going to be two stories - republic and imperial, with little or no variation. At best you'll have a conversation with whoever is leading your faction based on whether acina or jace died on iokath

What most people don't understand is it that swtor ran off most of the story folks already. what is left of the players who care more about the game system than the Star wars story..

From my experience in the game, and speaking to others you are flat out wrong.

People who care about real, workable and rewarding end-game systems left ages ago.

The people I know in-game are ONLY here for Story.

All The Best

They are smartly taking the opposite approach for this one. I

I think you are wrong.

I think they have over promised and under delivered again.

When was the last time they didn't do that.

And the previous poster was correct: two days before launch is NOT the time for a full trailer.

If they release a full trailer now it'll prove that the Lead Producer position is, yet again, mired in incompetence.

All The Best

That statement had nothing to do with this expansion, he was referring to the different choices in the previous releases, eg: the conditional jace/acina living or dead and which side you supported stuff, which makes it difficult to come up with a state of the galaxy that isn't different for everyone

"TBH, with all of the branching we're introducing in this story, I have no idea how we'll cleanly present a State of the Galaxy article later on"

Notice present tense, then future tense

Remains to be seen of course just how much is added, but I think it pretty clearly is not referring to past events here

Twitter is a failing platform full of bots, political crazies and general nutcases. The majority of people avoid it like the plague. If you want good word of mouth that affects the average persons view of a game, you'd better be making sure they get it from places other than twitter

Yet for some reason EVERY major MMORPG maintains an active presence on Twitter. You are correct that it is full of bots (though their job of purging has stepped up), political crazies and general nutcases. You are flat out wrong that it is failing otherwise its advertising revenue would not be going up. Perhaps you know something that every major MMORPG marketing head does not. And, of course, I never said it was all about Twitter. I utilized that example since Zion cited it. Even if 80% are bots, it still got seen by a lot of people and, more importantly...

I'm going to go out on a not-so dangerous limb and contend that the reason companies continue to utilize Twitter and other social media platforms is cost-effectiveness. Trust me, if I could build my own Death Star, my first target would be Twitter (well, after Game of Thrones Season 8), but there is no denying that it is a very cheap form of communicating vis-a-vis traditional forms of advertising.

With that said, I agree with you and Darth Spuds about them not releasing a KotFE-ET trailer this late in the day. It doesn't require an MBA degree from Wharton or the London School of Economics to figure out why.

As for characterizing story branching, is this a soft launch, is it a hard launch, is it a solid state fuel rocket launch, I don't particularly care. A lot of people are making pointless, preening, prognostications which will require me to have another medicinal martini (and avoid the forums) because...

We'll all know in about 68 hours. Well, probably the day after since I'm expecting server restarts. :rak_03:

May the Force be with you,

Dasty

Edited by Jdast

Yet for some reason EVERY major MMORPG maintains an active presence on Twitter. You are correct that it is full of bots (though their job of purging has stepped up), political crazies and general nutcases. You are flat out wrong that it is failing otherwise its advertising revenue would not be going up. Perhaps you know something that every major MMORPG marketing head does not. And, of course, I never said it was all about Twitter. I utilized that example since Zion cited it. Even if 80% are bots, it still got seen by a lot of people and, more importantly...

I'm going to go out on a not-so dangerous limb and contend that the reason companies continue to utilize Twitter and other social media platforms is cost-effectiveness. Trust me, if I could build my own Death Star my first target would be Twitter (well, after Game of Thrones Season 8), but there is no denying that it is a very cheap form of communicating vis-a-vis traditional forms of advertising.

With that said, I agree with you and Darth Spuds about them not releasing a KotFE-ET this late in the day. It doesn't require an MBA degree from Wharton or the London School of Economics to figure out why.

As for characterizing story branching, is this a soft launch, is it a hard launch, is it a solid state fuel rocket launch, I don't particularly care. A lot of people are making pointless, preening, prognostications which will require me to have another medicinal martini (and avoid the forums) because...

We'll all know in about 68 hours. Well, probably the day after since I'm expecting server restarts. :rak_03:

May the Force be with you,

Dasty

You would be surprised in terms of Twitter bots.

Although I guess technically they aren't bots if they are paid employees or government workers of other countries intentionally pretending to be Americans in order to sway political agenda.

Either way Twitter is a hot mess. Plenty of cases where someone will report a post on Twitter that violates federal law (child molestation, jihadi dismemberment videos etc) and Twitter leaves it up, but if someone disagrees with Twitter's politics they get banned within minutes.

Needs to be a much better platform out there somewhere...

You would be surprised in terms of Twitter bots.

Although I guess technically they aren't bots if they are paid employees or government workers of other countries intentionally pretending to be Americans in order to sway political agenda.

Either way Twitter is a hot mess. Plenty of cases where someone will report a post on Twitter that violates federal law (child molestation, jihadi dismemberment videos etc) and Twitter leaves it up, but if someone disagrees with Twitter's politics they get banned within minutes.

Needs to be a much better platform out there somewhere...

Same thing with FB politically. If you don't lean their way, you get banned. Been there and been banned because of it. Both FB and Twitter lean the same way, and if you don't agree with them, you get the ban stick.

You act like they have spent millions of dollars on an add campaign designed to revigorate the game. The put in a minimum amount of effort to put out one tweet. The only way they could have done less is to have made no tweets at all.

You act like they have spent millions of dollars on an add campaign designed to revigorate the game. The put in a minimum amount of effort to put out one tweet. The only way they could have done less is to have made no tweets at all.

Read my second Post in the thread genius. It's a lot more than just one video.

No, I wouldn't.

Dasty

Me either … which (aside from being a stubborn Ol' Buzzard) … is one of the reasons I don't mess with a lot of that "stuff" !! :D

[/ Drags out "trusty" crystal ball … again]

As I was saying: IMO .. it all comes down to $$$ investments !

Game: … WHERE to spend the money: gear / story / companions / new stuff … other items on the story / idea board for consideration.

Marketing: … When and how to develop / total amou … nnT

hang on again !!

Sorry !! Just a second !! (again)

This …[/ tap-tap]

Silly ball … [/tap-tap-tap]

Seems …. [/tap-tap-tap]

To have .... .[/tap-tap-tap-tap]

STOPED WORKING …. [/taps HARDER]

AGAIN !! …..

THAT TEARS IT !!

Uses wand and gives a sharp blow to the shinny crystal ball

( soft spoken female voice from crystal ball) : "Voice activated reset available. Do you wish to continue?"

REALLY ? What do you think?

( soft spoken female voice from crystal ball) : Please restate: yes or no ?

YES !! … stupid ….

( soft spoken female voice from crystal ball) : Reboot in progress: time of completion will be 72 hours ! Thank You !

*** Sigh ***

Never mind ! By the time this stupid thing gets back to working the game will have started !!

:D:D:D

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/68/1b/72/681b724f275064267d98ef95e4fc0d59.jpg

Edited by OlBuzzard

Exactly !! I am not holding my breath -- been too disappointed too many times

So, you revealed your interests are mocking others and bathroom humor.

And this was supposed to reflect badly on me how? :rak_02:

haha I don't want it to reflect badly on you, I just thought the title was funny man. :D I'm excited too man. ;)

Edited by SaerethDL

I'll be hyped when they quit spending precious development hours reinventing the wheel for a gear system that could be simple and instead put those hours into making new content, or improving antiquated systems in the game that have been neglected for years.

The fact that most of the back and forth about PTS content was to do with gear is hysterical. This game is content starved and rife with shoddy systems they use as excuses for the game's inadequacies and the bulk of our attention in feedback was pressured to focus on yet another new gear system, infested with mechanisms nobody asked for, because they probably have a custom dictionary for words in the english language and under the word 'simple,' there's just some mangled marriage of the quadratic formula and an intern's unfinished calculus homework, hard-coded into the game's engine, in a combination of javascript and php.