Dantoonine area really works your PC & Graphics hard.

TrixxieTriss

I play with all my settings high except for pvp. I rarely have any graphics issues, ie having drops in FPS and the game becomes “choppy” and not smooth. The only other time this can happen is riding around the fleet while there are a bunch of people RPing near the cantina. But FPS doesn’t drop on the fleet, only on Dantooine.

I can really see the how much strain Dantooine puts on the PC as I watch my FPS drop about 40+ points. So now when I go to Dantooine I have to turn off shadows and shadow enhancement to stop the “choppy” effects. But even then, it’s not always 100% smooth and I can still see my FPS drop 40 points at times.

With settings on high, my FPS drops from 150 to 95-105 FPS, which shouldn’t be an issue and it shouldn’t cause the game to become “choppy” and laggy. 95 FPS should always be smooth, especially in such an old game.

It’s not until I turn off the shadows etc, that it becomes smooth again and then my FPS is at 190-220 FPS everywhere in the game but Dantooine, which still drops it to 160 FPS.

This tells me that the area itself is putting more strain on the system than the game normally does.

My PC isn’t a slouch either.

i7 5770k @ 4.8ghz.

32GB Ram

Samsung NVMe 960Pro

GTX 1080

Network Cat6e to 100/40 Fibre connection

Is anyone else with a highend PC experiencing this when they go to Dantooine?

Edit : I should add that I play with 3 monitors 1080 x 5760 and it’s full screen, not window mode.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

i was having performance issues as well on video once I'm on Dantoonine. What help me was turning off Bloom. Hope that helps out.

That’s the one setting I don’t use even outside if Dantooine. Only because I don’t like the visual affects from from it.

So I know it’s not that doin fit.

Do you have shadows and everything else turned to max and if you wouldn’t mind, what’s you PC setup?

I’m wondering if it’s a driver issue.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

I play with all my settings high except for pvp. I rarely have any graphics issues, ie having drops in FPS and the game becomes “choppy” and not smooth. The only other time this can happen is riding around the fleet while there are a bunch of people RPing near the cantina. But FPS doesn’t drop on the fleet, only on Dantooine.

I can really see the how much strain Dantooine puts on the PC as I watch my FPS drop about 40+ points. So now when I go to Dantooine I have to turn off shadows and shadow enhancement to stop the “choppy” effects. But even then, it’s not always 100% smooth and I can still see my FPS drop 40 points at times.

With settings on high, my FPS drops from 150 to 95-105 FPS, which shouldn’t be an issue and it shouldn’t cause the game to become “choppy” and laggy. 95 FPS should always be smooth, especially in such an old game.

It’s not until I turn off the shadows etc, that it becomes smooth again and then my FPS is at 190-220 FPS everywhere in the game but Dantooine, which still drops it to 160 FPS.

This tells me that the area itself is putting more strain on the system than the game normally does.

My PC isn’t a slouch either.

i7 5770k @ 4.8ghz.

32GB Ram

Samsung NVMe 960Pro

GTX 1080

Network Cat6e to 100/40 Fibre connection

Is anyone else with a highend PC experiencing this when they go to Dantooine?

Edit : I should add that I play with 3 monitors 1080 x 5760 and it’s full screen, not window mode.

Your system is better than this old one I'm running... Updates are coming next week though.

I'm not sure exactly how the 3 monitors affect the reproduction and refresh rates... Although if I had to guess that might be a good place to look. Check the manufacture ratings on those. Mine is newer ( just purchased it a few months ago. It's a high end Dell wide screen. I chose it because it's refresh rate is in MS.. not seconds.

My current system is DDR3 / quad 4 w/Nvidia 1080 graphics. I have zero problems .. just a hick up with lag once in a while.

EDIT: sorry .. I missed this

That’s the one setting I don’t use even outside if Dantooine. Only because I don’t like the visual affects from from it.

So I know it’s not that doin fit.

Do you have shadows and everything else turned to max and if you wouldn’t mind, what’s you PC setup?

I’m wondering if it’s a driver issue.

And yes right now I'm running with enable shadows.

Edited by OlBuzzard

Let's be honest here: the game's engine has always been complete garbage. In fact, I'd argue that its clunkiness was the number one issue that caused TOR to bomb a month after launch (that or the unrealized endgame). It's never been fixed; it never will be fixed, and whenever Bioware tries to push its threshold even slightly, it bogs down into an unsalvageable mess.

can't help you, but I find it hilarious and ridiculous at the same time that you're on a fiber optic line, and they're throttling your upload.

Frankly on a 100/40 fibre service, they're throttling the download as well. Mine has throttled upload, too: 1000/300. Then again 100/40 might be Fibre To The Cabinet with a short-range copper link from there to the on-premises router. My fibre comes all the way into my flat and connects directly on the back of my router.

Frankly on a 100/40 fibre service, they're throttling the download as well. Mine has throttled upload, too: 1000/300. Then again 100/40 might be Fibre To The Cabinet with a short-range copper link from there to the on-premises router. My fibre comes all the way into my flat and connects directly on the back of my router.

yeah. I expect arbitrary caps to monetize things. but this isn't cable where your ul/dl directly and palpably affects your neighbor's. for example, I only have 75dl. but it's 75/75, 100/100, 150/150, etc. nerfing your ul is archaic and barbarous on the part of the ISP.

... then my FPS is at 190-220 FPS everywhere in the game but Dantooine, which still drops it to 160 FPS.

Seriously, you're complaining about 160 fps?!

There are people playing this game who normally run about 60-70 fps and have it drop down below 30 in PvP and OPs (and Dantooine). (Not me though.)

In any case if you watch any hardware reviews where they show gameplay footage, you'll see that FPS often varies widely depending upon the area of the game and what's going on. In the case of Dantooine, since it's new, there are a lot of people playing in a relatively small area, which would tend to reduce FPS. (Mainly because the system and your CPU has to keep track of more players within a given area, than usual.)

SWTOR is very CPU intensive as well. Graphics settings usually only matter when they are set high enough that the GPU becomes a factor. In my case, what I did was to play the game with the graphics set to low to get a base FPS level from the CPU. Then I turned the graphics up until the settings started to affect this base FPS. (The graphics settings ended up to be quite high.)

can't help you, but I find it hilarious and ridiculous at the same time that you're on a fiber optic line, and they're throttling your upload.

My upload isn’t throttled. In Australia it is 40 up and 100 down. That’s pretty much the highest residential plan you can get. (If you want to pay double for 100/100 you can get it from just a few ISPs. But not mine)

Most people opt for 20/50 as they don’t need the full 40/100.

When you consider the government (not private companies) are rolling out the National Broadband Network (NBN) and still haven’t finished after 6 years (it was supposed to be finished last year) and won’t be finished now till 2022, I actually feel lucky I can get this connection as my only option before was ADSL2

yeah. I expect arbitrary caps to monetize things. but this isn't cable where your ul/dl directly and palpably affects your neighbor's. for example, I only have 75dl. but it's 75/75, 100/100, 150/150, etc. nerfing your ul is archaic and barbarous on the part of the ISP.

It’s not the ISP that throttles it. The NBN have full control. The ISPs buy the bandwidth plans directly from the NBN. They are basically retailers with their own servers to route traffic.

Blame our stupid government. We were supposed to all get Fibre to the Premises. Then we changed government halfway through the roll out they decided on mixed technology to save money. HTC cables that were already in use were purchased from the companies who owned them. Then they decided to do Fibre to the node or basement and use the copper lines to the nodes. Which has turned out to be worse than ADSL for a lot of people because some nodes have 100 properties linked to the one node. Now they are also doing Fibre to the Curb with only 4 properties connected and copper to the house.

Sadly, most of the NBN is already out of date and it’s not even finished being rolled out. Most of the setup can’t even handle my 100/40.

What’s really stupid about the whole thing is it’s ended up costing more to roll out mixed technology and taken longer than if they’d just stuck with the Fibre to the Premises. This is what happens when governments play politics just to be different from the other side instead of just doing what is the right thing to do.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Seriously, you're complaining about 160 fps?!

There are people playing this game who normally run about 60-70 fps and have it drop down below 30 in PvP and OPs (and Dantooine). (Not me though.)

In any case if you watch any hardware reviews where they show gameplay footage, you'll see that FPS often varies widely depending upon the area of the game and what's going on. In the case of Dantooine, since it's new, there are a lot of people playing in a relatively small area, which would tend to reduce FPS. (Mainly because the system and your CPU has to keep track of more players within a given area, than usual.)

SWTOR is very CPU intensive as well. Graphics settings usually only matter when they are set high enough that the GPU becomes a factor. In my case, what I did was to play the game with the graphics set to low to get a base FPS level from the CPU. Then I turned the graphics up until the settings started to affect this base FPS. (The graphics settings ended up to be quite high.)

Yes, I already know all of that. I build or used to build gaming PCs for a living (semi retired now).

It’s not the FPS drop to 160 that’s the problem here. It’s the choppiness of it. At 160 FPS or even 100 FPS this should not be happening. It feels like I’m playing with 40-60 FPS.

Edit:

“The color of the FPS display indicates whether the game is GPU bound or CPU bound”

"So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card

Green = Simulation bound/CPU

Yellow = Mix of both

Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so) "

"The part of the computer that is holding back game performance the most is called the bottleneck. In this situation if your processor/CPU is the bottleneck the FPS display color will be green. If your video card/GPU is the bottleneck the FPS display color will be red."

Seeing as my FPS goes from red to green when it drops to 160 FPS, I guess that means the bottle neck is the CPU.

At 160 FPS it should not be choppy considering it’s a i7 5770k that is overclocked. Also my CPU is set to not throttle. It is permanently set at 4.8GHz and never goes over 65’c.

I will investigate further and maybe up the overclock to 5GHz to test if it’s the CPU.

Edited by TrixxieTriss

Your system is better than this old one I'm running... Updates are coming next week though.

I'm not sure exactly how the 3 monitors affect the reproduction and refresh rates... Although if I had to guess that might be a good place to look. Check the manufacture ratings on those. Mine is newer ( just purchased it a few months ago. It's a high end Dell wide screen. I chose it because it's refresh rate is in MS.. not seconds.

My current system is DDR3 / quad 4 w/Nvidia 1080 graphics. I have zero problems .. just a hick up with lag once in a while.

EDIT: sorry .. I missed this

And yes right now I'm running with enable shadows.

What version of Windows are you using? If it’s Windows 10, what release are you on?

Sadly, most of the NBN is already out of date and it’s not even finished being rolled out. Most of the setup can’t even handle my 100/40.

What’s really stupid about the whole thing is it’s ended up costing more to roll out mixed technology and taken longer than if they’d just stuck with the Fibre to the Premises. This is what happens when governments play politics just to be different from the other side instead of just doing what is the right thing to do.

Don't want to go to off topic but as an Aussie myself the frustration I have around this entire NBN mess here is at an all time high. My area was promised it last year, didn't happen, Jan 2019, didn't happen, April 2019, didn't happen and now it's been promised in Nov 2019, I'm over it. What an absolute disaster it's been.

Belsavis needs going over as well: the road from the first imperial outpost out from the main base to the north west in min sec, all the way to the mission with Ellis Ruger and the New Men. Along that part of the road it is horrible to travel down it, like it was never optimized or someone improperly programmed the settings or something.

Every other area on the map is as smooth as silk, but this specific area feels like the frames have dropped to 15 and it is shuddering along pretty heavily. It has been there since i've been playing (end of 2011 when it was released).

but this specific area feels like the frames have dropped to 15 and it is shuddering along pretty heavily. It has been there since i've been playing (end of 2011 when it was released).

Yep, and the frames don’t actually drop, but they sure do feel like it.

That’s my issue with Dantooine. My frame rate is great, even with the drop, it shouldn’t feel like it does.

I do know that Dantooine is more visual appealing and I think there is more detail to things like grass, trees and you have mobs fighting each other with their own effects going off.

Seeing as some people aren’t having as many issues as us, Im starting to think it maybe driver related or Windows version/build related.

If anyone who isn’t having issues can provide the info on what nVidia driver they are using and what build of Windows 10, I can check and see if it’s different to mine.